• Last Reply

Some news from the Satellite world...

From Skynews:

2/22/07

Today's Headlines:

DISH Cries Foul Over DIRECTV/MLB Deal

Allied Tube & Conduit

DISH Cries Foul Over DIRECTV/MLB Deal

As of press time late Wednesday, the scuttlebutt was that DIRECTV and Major League Baseball were close to announcing a deal that would give the satellite TV giant exclusive access to the game's out-of-market games.

That's not sitting well with at least one competitor.

In response, EchoStar put out a statement saying "a line had been crossed" and promising to "take a stand" to fight the exclusive deal, which would give DIRECTV sole access to the league's Extra Innings out-of-market package.

"When our customers are suddenly cut off from watching their favorite sports teams on TV, it is time to ask whether the market is working. This is both anti-competitive and anti-consumer," EchoStar said in a statement.

The No. 2 satellite TV company also said it was concerned by news that "DIRECTV will be able to block over 85 percent of U.S. pay-TV subscribers from watching out-of-market Major League Baseball games. After all, baseball is the American pastime."

The company, which operates DISH Network, added, "This recent move by DIRECTV is particularly egregious given that these games until now have been carried by multiple cable and satellite TV providers. Thus, we will be forced to take away valuable programming from existing subscribers who depend on EchoStar to receive all their television channels.

"Consumers will be harmed - especially if they are forced to change providers, switch to a higher-priced service, or invest in new equipment." A DIRECTV/MLB agreement also may not sit well with lawmakers. Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) has promised hearings on such a deal. Another senator, Pennsylvania's Arlen Specter, also has criticized the rumored exclusive for the DBS company.

As the rumor made its way around industry press, sources valued a DIRECTV/Major League Baseball deal for the Extra Innings package at $700 million. There's been no word from DIRECTV.

Mou kanei entiposi oti den merimna i Dish gia ta exclusive rights tis otan ta exei, alla molis paei na ta xasei apeilei theous kai daimones...

Ton fronimon ta paidia prin peinasoun mageireuoun...Exoun xasei ena soro ethnic kanalia kai tora xanoun kai exclusive rights se diafora alla....

:box:

It seems all quiet on the satellite front.  Heard a lot of rumors when Mega moved about other channels coming over but nothing has happened yet.

Poly kako gia to tipota telika. :whistle:

Even the thread title is funny after all. Greek channels leaving Dish network? Only one left dish network.

Poly kako gia to tipota telika.  :whistle:

Even the thread title is funny after all. Greek channels leaving Dish network? Only one left dish network.

...which gives new interest to the almost fogrotten poll:

There will be only ONE (...platform)

who will have most GRsubs on Jan 1 2008?

MORE GRsubs on Jan,1,2008 on DISH or DTV?

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...showtopic=10089

FCC wants more info on DirecTV baseball deal

William L. Watts, MarketWatch

Last Update: 7:00 PM ET Feb 22, 2007

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The Federal Communications Commission has asked DirecTV and Major League Baseball to provide more information about a pending deal that would offer a package of out-of-market baseball games exclusively to the satellite-television operator's subscribers,

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin said in a letter released Thursday afternoon.

"I am concerned whenever consumers cannot purchase the programming they want or are forced to purchase programming they don't want," Martin wrote in a letter to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., which was released by the senator's office.

Martin promised to report back on the deal's implications and "any recommended changes to the law to ameliorate any harms to consumers."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/fcc-...=yhoo&dist=yhoo

What did he expect. He must of known the bill was 25 dollars in advanced, or else he wasnt listening to what Direct TV said. When I called, they said I have to get atleast the basic package they offer for an extra $9.99 on top of the $14.99.

Now is it worth it for 1 channel? I would say yes. Mega has some of the best Entertainment Greek channels offer now.

Likos,

It seems that you have a problem with the Greek channels leaving Dish Network threat.

What i have reported in the past is all true thing take some time to develop in the Greek front.

There is lots of crying going on on the forum thats why i no longer post or report any Greek channel satellite news on Phantis.

DKSat

This topic is getting side-tracked by people posting about dishnetwork/directv news not related to Greek channels.

Well, I'll take this personally.

So you think that the following statement

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin said in a letter released Thursday afternoon.

"I am concerned whenever consumers cannot purchase the programming they want or are forced to purchase programming they don't want," Martin wrote in a letter to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., which was released by the senator's office.

is not related to the Greek channels?

There is lots of crying going on on the forum thats why i no longer post or report any Greek channel satellite news on Phantis.

DKSat

We would really love it if you could report some more news. (or atleast tell us where else to look) :D :D :D :D

Likos,

It seems that you have a problem with the Greek channels leaving Dish Network threat.

What i have reported in the past is all true thing take some time to develop in the Greek front.

There is  lots of crying going on on the forum  thats why i no longer post or  report any Greek channel satellite news on Phantis.

DKSat

dude let them cry, to me you have credability

you started this topic, with some great info which turned out to be spot on :tup:

Wow, I received my DishNetwork bill today and they had added ANT1 plus one package in my account :o

How is this possible? I canceled the entire Antenna thing a few months ago, and I've been living happily with ERTworld and the Greek Radio package until today. Needless to say, I promptly called and made sure they took ANT1 off my tv.

Oh, and they raised the a-la-carte price of ERTworld from 12.99 to 14.99 :tdown:

DKSat

I hope you change your mind about this. I am sure few of us here put a great value your reports in the past. I know that I do.

Likos,

There is  lots of crying going on on the forum  thats why i no longer post or  report any Greek channel satellite news on Phantis.

DKSat

Here is what I had posted:

Poly kako gia to tipota telika. :whistle:

How is that "having a problem?" There was a particularly light tone in that post. I said it was funny, and that the title of the thread pointed to more than one channel leaving dish network, which has not happened 3 1/2 months after that thread was posted. Then there was the speculation of Alpha coming to the US (it seems there is a thread about Alpha coming to the US once every six months or so). Again, should this happen tomorrow I am ready to post a "boy was I wrong in joking about that--look here is Alpha" replly. But until then, I can actually check on my screen and on the directv and dish websites and determine if these things have happened. And they haven't. One channel left, and you were absolutely right about that. What I have been poking fun at is how in this thread and the posts altogether, not just yours, that was interpreted as the "any minute now" mass migration of channels to directv.

likos.

It is known that Alter is leaving Dish once their contract is up in the coming months. So that would be the Channels.

There is also rumors that Alpha will come to the US on direct TV. After that Star may follow if they see money in it. There is also a Greek Music channel being launched by Globestar shortly on Direct TV.

If all that happens, there is a strong possibility that ERT may see money in Direct TV, and move over leaving just the Ant1 package to dish.

Now. The original message said

"Some of the Greek channels will be leaving Echostar Dish Network.

One of the Channels will be leaving very soon.

DKsat"

That is true, and is not implying right away. Mega left "Very Soon". Alter will be leaving in the coming months.

Grk101, supposedly an innocent viewer looking for info on how to watch Mega series, joined the forum at the beginning of December and by now shows up as the decision maker on what all the channels will or will not do.

OK G, whatever you say....

Huh? Decision maker on what channels are doing? All the information I stated in my above post is from the 17 other pages on this topic. There was mention about ERT might move to Direct if Alpha and Alter are there. There was also mention on Star joining by the end of the year if the line up is Mega Alpha Alter.

Just because I am repeating what was said in the thread to defend another member's post, I am being targeted. Great group here......

And regarding on my joining, I found the group through Google. When the channel was cut off, I was upset and sent an email out to one of my friends about it. (Even posting an angry rant on myspace) :whistle: Then after that, my friend emails me back and tells me that he found out that it has moved to Direct TV. How did he know? He works for one of the promotion companies for the Greek events and advertises on the channel. I then googled something like "direct tv mega" and got to this forum discussion. I actually have what I exactly typed, and the google page posted somewhere in these 17 pages of discussion.

Archived