Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

I believe we will have to see what is the situation once the dust settles. What, exactly, will be left at Dish and for what price, what at Directv, etc. Directv does NOT allow you to only have international programming, however, like Echostar does. Plus, is there any guarantee the channels won't move again back to dish in a few years? For these reasons my gut instinct is that directv won't win over many dish subscribers, unless Dish is left with the ANT1 packet alone.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secon...assetId=1200007

To get international services, you must first subscribe to the DIRECTV® BASIC ($9.99/mo) or DIRECTV® PREFERRED CHOICE™ ($29.99/mo) international base package, or any TOTAL CHOICE® ($34.99/mo. or above) or DIRECTV PARA TODOS® ($29.99/mo. or above) package. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Hardware and programming available separately. DIRECTV services are not provided outside the U.S.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus, is there any guarantee the channels won't move again back to dish in a few years?

Based on how both providers deal with International channels, I think its unlikely MEGA would return to Dishnet in a year or two. Both companies sign channels to exclusivity deals and long-term deals, like Dishnet with ANT1 (10 year deal). This is just my opinion, anything can happen so you never know but I don't see it unless something big happens and MEGA want out of their contract.

I have noticed that there are only a few channels (this includes Spanish channels) that are available on both Dish and DirecTV. The majority are either on one or the other so that means they are being signed to exclusivity deals tying them to only one provider.

The key is what channels do people watch most, not sure if there is a way to determine this but Globestar is betting its their channels (MEGA & Alter) and throw in Alpha and they think its enough for people to switch.

Viva Freedom of Choice !!! :tup:

I thing people very soon have the choice and will opt for cherry picking,

e.a.:

* Antenna or ERT a-la-carte from Dish or Time or Comcast,

* MEGA or Star a-la-carte from DirecTV or Time or Comcast,

and so on for any available channel and any combination

The "gourouni sto sakki" era, I guess, is over, therefore

"Hasta la vista & Venceremos" :not:

P.S. 1: the Latin reference aims to honour neighbours of Hispanic Harlem...

P.S. 2: the first sub to all available Greek channels shall send us a photo of his Cape Canaveral roof... :LOL: Diaspora will lead the space era ;)

Dish network already requires two dishes if you want Greek channels, so a third one should not make much difference :)

Doesn't Dish Network require that you subscribe to one of their basic packages before you can subscribe to the Greek channels?

In Florida i got one Dish from Dish Network for the Greek Channels package only and pay only for that.

Dish network already requires two dishes if you want Greek channels, so a third one should not make much difference :)

Doesn't Dish Network require that you subscribe to one of their basic packages before you can subscribe  to the Greek channels?

In Florida i got one Dish from Dish Network for the Greek Channels package only and pay only for that.
Same here--only one dish, not a superdish. I have it just for the Greek channels, keeping regular cable for all the rest and for internet.

In general I am in favor of competition. But the split of channels reminds me of the last time Alpha was part of a Greek channels split in the skies, back with Alpha Digital Synthesis in Greece. That little adventure didn't offer much to the Greek TV consumer. I feel that the Greek market is too small to be split in two, and for the time being anyway all that will happen is that most of us will end up with less channels than they had before. Nothing we can do about it, but I do wonder when exactly Mega Cosmos will be informing its customers of the switch. It's not like they assume all of them are reading this forum, right? ;)

I have to agree with likos that this move is fragmenting allready small market and it can only do more harm than good.

As far as Mega is concerned, out of the Greek channels available they have the best non-sport programming and will definitively miss the channel. However as long as Antenna and ERT provide soccer games and stay on Dish (ERT-Sat), I will not be changing providers.

I agree with Ziaka and this really stinks. When is Dish going to announce this change? Will they just stop broadcasting Mega without saying anything? Does anybody know if you can have both Dish and DirectTV at the same time on the same TV? Can you connect them using an a/b switch?

I agree with Ziaka and this really stinks. When is Dish going to announce this change? Will they just stop broadcasting Mega without saying anything? Does anybody know if you can have both Dish and DirectTV at the same time on the same TV? Can you connect them using an a/b switch?

Legitimate question indeed, when is Dish going to announce the change, and yes, you can have both on the same TV

One more question: when Directv is going to announce the change???

The "upcoming in January Brazilian channel" is already on their site

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...assetId=2980018

BrazilianDirect™ Service Coming January 2007

To get BrazilianDirect™ which includes TVGlobo and PFC (Premiere Futebol Clube) or either channel a la carte, you must first subscribe to one of the following base packages:

DIRECTV™ BASIC ($9.99/mo.)

DIRECTV PREFERRED CHOICE™ programming package ($29.99/mo.)

any DIRECTV™ base programming package (valued at $29.99/mo. or above)

Why not the "Greek upcoming next week"??? Anybody any idea???

With Mega you do not have to subscribe to any DirecTV basic package it will be a $5.00 access fee just like Dish Network

Who knows by December 1 things can change .

Dish Network will shot off Mega on November 30 dealers have received a memo about the Mega situation.

DKSat

Anything can change by December 1 with access fees

Dish and DirecTV they can do what they want with there channel line up and fees , Look what Dish has done with the Greek channel packages.

Contracts ... HA HA

When is Dish going to announce this change? Will they just stop broadcasting Mega without saying anything?

I think this has been answered guys. It's Friday and Mega will be gone next Thursday, so unless they put something up at the last minute, I doubt you will get any notice from Dishnet at all. I bet they are none too happy about this so they don't care about informing people that this channel will no longer be offered because its going to the competition. Poor business I know but what about Mega, why don't they put a message across the screen that says 'As of Dec. 1 Mega will no longer be available on Dishnet', how hard is that to do??

There are a few other international channels that were recently removed from the Dishnet line-up, I read on DBS Talk that they were removed but it did not mention anything about customers being given a notice. So it seems they don't give notice about these kind of things. They did however post a message when BVN (Dutch channel) was leaving, but it was going to become FTA not moving to DirecTV, so maybe that is different?!

In any event, what I would like to know is when are Star & Alpha Sat coming?? How can they just add Mega Cosmos by itself, how many customers are they going to attract with one channel?? I guess it may have had to do with contracts, if the Mega contract was up now then that is why they are moving it instead of waiting for Star and Alpha to launch all 3 together.

The only 2 channels you might ever see on comcast or Verizon is ERT Sat or Antenna 1

DKSat

Can you give me any more info on that?You see i have comcast as a cable provider but i have not seen anywhere greek channels???I am in the category of people that need to have MEGA for the sake of their ear drums.My wife needs here Vera sto Deksi s%$#!.... :D And i need ERT for sports damn it.It is fun being GREEK in the states or what....3 damn channels......

I am in the category of people that need to have MEGA for the sake of their ear drums.My wife needs here Vera sto Deksi s%$#!.... :D And i need ERT for sports damn it.It is fun being GREEK in the states or what....3 damn channels......

I think that the only currently available solution to krevatomourmoura :o is two dishes on the roof, one from Dish and one from Directv. :tup: :not:

Archived