Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mega will not be broadcasting from 119 w orbital location they will be broadcasting from Galaxy 3 at 95.0w

You will need a new International dish that is a bit smaller than a Super Dish that has 2 LNBs one for 95.0w and 101.0 w

If you a Directv subscriber the dish that you have now will not work on Galaxy 3 ku for receiving Mega Cosmos.

DKSat

Yes Directv has technical difficulties up linging Mega to Galaxy 3 at 95.0 w hope it will be up with in 5-10 days.

Mega cosmos is now encrypted on  AMC 12 .

DKSat

what is the number 1-866-780-5367 in the Echostar announcement?

DKSat, if your estimate for 5-10 days is accurate, it looks like a very unprofessional planning to me... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Olympiakosboy, let us know how your order of MEGA with Directv goes...

Here is the deal from DirecTV:

Nonstop News, Sports, Movies and More — $14.99/mo.

MEGA Cosmos is available as a single channel subscription for $14.99/mo. To get MEGA Cosmos service, you must first subscribe to one of the following base packages:

DIRECTV® BASIC ($9.99/mo.)

DIRECTV PREFERRED CHOICE™ programming package ($29.99/mo.)

any DIRECTV base programming package (valued at $29.99/mo. or above)

"Kinoymaste nomika enantion tis globestar" sounds pretty much like sueing them to me. You probably missed that part.

Who said that and where? I must have missed it somehow.

Anyway, called Dish today to complain and was told that I will be automatically switched to the Antenna Plus 1 package as a result of all this.

mk21,

I have ERA Spor and ERA 5 along with Antenna Plus package, but I was charged 4.99 for it. They called it Greek radio package. I did not really order it. It happened when they called me to tell me that they were switching me from the old Greek language (36.99) to the Antenna Plus 2 package, I complained so much for losing the ERA Spor, that they somehow never took them off. They just started charging me for them. On my last bill they appear as Greek Radio Package for $ 4.99. It is a bit too much for just ERA Spor, but I prefer them over SupersportFM.

I think they should include those stations if you get ERT-World either as part of any package or ala-carte.

Here's the bottom line guys, if you want to switch to Direct TV because of Mega and its Greek Series and Soap Opera programming be my guest, but most of us in these forums purchased these Greek Channels for the Soccer, News, and occasionally musical programming. We still have all of the above and last time I checked Mega doesn't broadcast any sports. I am sure not going to be switching or getting any additional dish on my roof. Although this will create competition, I think if Direct TV wants to step up to the plate they will have to add a couple more Greek channels to make their Greek programing service more appealing.

Anyway, called Dish today to complain and was told that I will be automatically switched to the Antenna Pluss 1 package as a result of all this.

It was the Greek-American guy in the dish network looped announcement.

By the way, if you had the Greek Super Package, call them and they will give you the Antenna Plus 2 package for free for 3 months--they did it for me without even asking. Antenna also announced it on their morning show this morning.

I can most certainly live without MEGA. We will see what the future brings, but I refuse to pay $25 for that channel which, after all, didn't even bother informing its viewers of its move to another satellite that happened because of a MEGA, not Dish Network decision.

Anyway, called Dish today to complain and was told that I will be automatically switched to the Antenna Pluss 1 package as a result of all this.

It was the Greek-American guy in the dish network looped announcement.

By the way, if you had the Greek Super Package, call them and they will give you the Antenna Plus 2 package for free for 3 months--they did it for me without even asking. Antenna also announced it on their morning show this morning.

I can most certainly live without MEGA. We will see what the future brings, but I refuse to pay $25 for that channel which, after all, didn't even bother informing its viewers of its move to another satellite that happened because of a MEGA, not Dish Network decision.

Well as a corporation(globestar)they are obligated to inform the customers what their intensions are ,but they have proved it before when they were on DIRECTV years ago and i paid dearly for it 650.00 to be exact,that they don"t give a damn,why should they do now,they had planned this over 6 months,why is a suprise to everyone and why should we care, it is a premium channel which everyone pays a premium price and they also put(milk it)commercials on it.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE GREED..........GREED ......GREED

they did it with ERTSAT (UNITEL)when they had the distribution rights couple years back

to the tune of 2.500.000 a year and when globecast got them it was 500.000 not to mention percentage of the subscriptions.

and why everyone has to have the antenna package which includes 2 worthless channels to watch what ,mikroutsiko when he was really young or ka8emera zwh se logou sas or the blue channel to watch the same videos on a scheduled rotation,come on we are smarter than that,as far as the radio stations why do you need them? everyone here has them allready on e-radio.gr and so many other sites and in great quality not some monophonic one channel sound,you are smarter than that.

so you called DISH NETWORK and complained and they gave you 3 months free

BIG DEAL

DISHNETWORK are the biggest scammers of all

you know it,but then you give in

for every dollar on your sub,half of it and more goes to them so you are paying for it no matter what.

They knew what it was going on but they didn't tell anyone, they waited to sign KYRIAKOU for 10 years and his stupid channels and stations and to stick you with 7.00 more why no one is complaining about that?

YOU HAD A CHOICE OF A PACKAGE FOR 3 CHANNELS MEGA-ERT-ALTER for29.95

add ANTENNA 14.95 that's 45.00 give or take few cents and you had the OPTION for the radio stations for5.00 more OPTION ....remember,now that option went to KYRIAKOY FOR HIS STATION actually that's not an option you have to pay for it.

But take a look what they are charging now 39.99 for the super package ,let's analyze it 23.00 for kyriakou package that leaves 17.00 for the other 2 so why are they charging 14.95 for ERTSAT alacarte,think about it.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS

you like ANTENNA and the football it has then go for it

you like ERTSAT and the football it has and programms then request ,email ert directly as they are not tied to any contract to send their signal to DIRECTV -CABLE-IPTV OR ANY OTHER MEANS OF DISTRIBUTION

WITHOUT THEM NO ONE WILL BE HEALTHY PERIOD

AT THE END YOU WILL HAVE CHOICES AND THEN THINGS WILL WORK OUT

i hope i didn't bore you but that's my take on this matter.

I am totally in agreance with Giorgos. I too have observed the same. The greed is despicable. Our fellow homeland Greeks should take a good look at what the more prosperous countries are doing. Look at the programming on Intelsat Americas 5 which is for the most part FREE.

If you're already making money with advertising, then why intimidate your audience with outrageous fees. They are all thinking short term therefore they shall be short lived beyond their borders.

This is typical Greek business. They are gouging the Americans because they can but now they shot themselves in the foot by splitting the channels to 2 providors. This latest move was a loss for dishnetwork/mega/and the customers. The only winner is Directv.

BIG DEAL

for every dollar on your sub,half of it and more goes to them so you are paying for it no matter what.

take a look what they are charging now 39.99 for the super package ,let's analyze it 23.00 for kyriakou package that leaves 17.00 for the other 2 so why are they charging 14.95 for ERTSAT alacarte,think about it.

[/size]

So when Dish charges $14.95 for Mega they are the biggest scammers of all but when Directv charges the same amount they are not scammers ? Sure...

Both Dish and Direct charge a lot to carry the channels. They won't be delivering them to such a large market, and ad revenues are miniscule. To me it was amazing that up until Nov 30, you could get 6 TV channels and 5 radio channels in Greek. Look at the Italian or German packages--way fewer offerings.

As for Mega, I think we are in agreement. If they respected their viewers, THEY had to put it on their channel and website that they would be moving away from Dish. The Dish people were clueless in phone inquiries and that is bad, but it doesn't absolve MEGA of their responsibility to inform us of a move they orchestrated.

This started with someone's decision to re-aling the Greek packages. The realignment was not done to increase value, but to force subscription to channels that had no chance of competing for subscriptions.

I don't know who masterminded this idiotic move (which was obviously benefiting the ANT1 co.) but they must have been very myopic.

In itself, this was not a bad move. What was bad was that they eliminated the a-la-carte offers so the packages were the only option. They gave no options to consumers, and blatantly squeezed other channels out of their ability to compete.

That's GREED, and BAD BUSSINESS. Whoever masterminded this realignment was thinking only how to squeeze the competition out, and how to squeeze the consumers. They did not account for how mad the competition was going to be, or how mad the consumers would be. It is backfiring already.

In the long run, it will work in our favor to have the channels split on different platforms. We are suffering a little now because one platform had the monopoly on Greek channels, they thought they had the Greek subscribers cornered and they could do as they pleased to squeeze them.

Competing from two different platforms is fundamentally healthier. The channels will have to compete on quality of programming and price instead of relying on alchemy and deceit.

BIG DEAL

take a look what they are charging now 39.99 for the super package ,let's analyze it 23.00 for kyriakou package that leaves 17.00 for the other 2 so why are they charging 14.95 for ERTSAT alacarte,think about it.

[/size]

So when Dish charges $14.95 for Mega they are the biggest scammers of all but when Directv charges the same amount they are not scammers ? Sure...

Both Dish and Direct charge a lot to carry the channels. They won't be delivering them to such a large market, and ad revenues are miniscule. To me it was amazing that up until Nov 30, you could get 6 TV channels and 5 radio channels in Greek. Look at the Italian or German packages--way fewer offerings.

As for Mega, I think we are in agreement. If they respected their viewers, THEY had to put it on their channel and website that they would be moving away from Dish. The Dish people were clueless in phone inquiries and that is bad, but it doesn't absolve MEGA of their responsibility to inform us of a move they orchestrated.

Let's do the math my friend

PREVIOUSLY AT DISH MEGA-ALTER COMBO 20.00X40.000 SUBS=800.000 US DOLLARS not counting those they are alacarte, DISHNET'S cut 400.000 now that's a month, multiply this times x12 it equals to 4.800.000 a year for globestar.NOT BAD FOR A TOTAL INVESTMENT OF AROUND 2 MILLION

now you say the ad revenues are not much,next time count the ads and multiply with the numbers below

Advertising Value

MEGAcosmos provides perfect advertising environment to advertisers with a unique Greek language programming.

Time

Programming Day Time Block (M-F)

Weekly Number of Commercials

Total Cost

6am-8am

News/ Movies/ B&W Movies

5X

$ 450.00

8am-10am

Movies (Comedy/Drama)/ Variety

3X

$ 270.00

10am-12pm

Game Shows/ Movies

3X

$ 270.00

12pm-2pm

News

3X

$ 270.00

2pm-5pm

Talk Shows/ Variety

3X

$ 270.00

5pm-7pm

News/ B&W Movies

3X

$ 270.00

Weekly Totals:

20X

$ 1,800.00

Time

Programming Prime Time Block (M-F)

Total Cost

5pm-7pm

Greek Movies/ Variety/ Comedy Shows

8X

$ 960.00

10pm-11pm

Variety/ Movies

8X

$ 960.00

11pm-12pm

News

8X

$ 960.00

Weekly Totals:

24X

$ 2,880.00

Time

Programming Weekend Block (Sat-Sun)

Total Cost

6am-8am

News/ Music/ Comedy Shows

5X

$ 450.00

8am-10am

Movies/ Variety

5X

$ 450.00

10am-12pm

Game Shows/ Movies

3X

$ 270.00

12pm-3pm

Talk Shows/ Movies

3X

$ 270.00

3pm-7pm

News/ Movies

5X

$ 450.00

7pm-12pm

News/ Bravo Music Show/ Movies

5X

$ 450.00

Weekly Totals:

26X

$ 2,340.00

Time

Programming Overnight Block (M-F)

Total Cost

12am-2am

News/ Variety

8X

$ 720.00

2am-4.45am

Talk Shows/ Variety

8X

$ 720.00

4.45am-6am

Greek Movies B&W

8X

$ 720.00

Weekly Totals:

24X

$ 2,160.00

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CALL TOLL FREE

1-800-306-7526

All rates are based on 30 second spots.

Specific programs and Various Blocks can be selected.

Minimum commitment: 13 weeks; 26 weeks commitment additional 10% discount.

All programs are preemptible based on availability.

Minimum investment: $2.000 per month. Minimum three (3) weeks per month.

Targeted blocks based on Eastern Time; for Central - 1 hour;

for Mountain - 2 hours; for Pacific - 3 hours.

60 second spots will be priced 175% of 30 second spot package rate.

Rates do no include production and are subject to change.

NOW LET'S SEE WITH DIRECTV

they hope to get 40.000 subs at 15.00 each=600.000 MONTHLY, DIRECTV'S CUT 160.000 for a net profit of 440.000 and that's for 1 channel ADD ALTER and whatever

other channel they plan on bringing and you will see it's all about the money.

YOU SAY DIRECTV CHARGES THE SAME THEY ARE NOT SCAMMERS LIKE DISH

i could care less about directv but they charge GLOBESTAR LESS to carry the

CHANNELS so they can profit more,someone could argue well it's a business they

need to increase revenues as they have increases from programming providers and

operational costs, well any business that can make more than 100% on their initial investement that is damn good.SHOW ME OTHERWISE THAT AN INCREASE IS NEEDED.

BUT IT'S MORE THAN THAT

if you read on today's satleo.gr they had plans of bringing their own little package

and KYRIAKOU piss them off when he added the 2 crappy channels on DISH

and they couldn't bring their channels because i suspect all packages needed to include the antenna package ,so in reality they would cut the prices on their own

channels if they want to bring more channels...................

WHAT IS AMAZING ABOUT 5 RADIO CHANNELS THAT YOU CAN ONLINE ANYWHERE

YOU MEAN 4 TV CHANNELS ......WOW .......THAT'S ALOT OF CHANNELS

THE CONTENT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING ANYMORE

AND I COULD CARE LESS WHAT THEY DO ANYMORE

BUT ANY WISE CONSUMER SHOULD THINK WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME

AND IT'S MORE OF WHAT YOU NEED AND NOT WHAT YOU WANT

that's all i got say

the competion will help the pricing, not hurt it...

in a normal consumer enviroment yes

but here we have the same greek households ,the same subs only divided

to this day there are still households that have only ANT1 and the same holds true

with ERTSAT and MEGACOSMOS

UNLESS the 4th generation greeks (our kids) they are going to care

TI KANEI H AGELADA STO POLY THN KYRIAKH

kala mh trella8oume twra.

the competion will help the pricing, not hurt it...

It helps when both carriers offer mostly the same services: like Dish Network and Directv offering about 80-90% of the same programming, namely the US channels. Plus, MEGA switched providers and the price stayed the same. Where is the benefit for the consumer?

The only good thing that could come out of this is if Dish realized what a horrible business move it was to eliminate the a la carte options for MEGA, ALTER etc forcing all new subscribers under ANT1 (all the old ones could keep what they had). Then if the non-Dish Greek platform collapses, as it did once before, there will be more options for all back on Dish with no ANT1 umbrella. But that is way into the future and we have no clue how things will develop.

This started with someone's decision to re-aling the Greek packages. The realignment was not done to increase value, but to force subscription to channels that had no chance of competing for subscriptions.

I don't know who masterminded this idiotic move (which was obviously benefiting the ANT1 co.) but they must have been very myopic.

In itself, this was not a bad move. What was bad was that they eliminated the a-la-carte offers so the packages were the only option. They gave no options to consumers, and blatantly squeezed other channels out of their ability to compete.

That's GREED, and BAD BUSSINESS. Whoever masterminded this realignment was thinking only how to squeeze the competition out, and how to squeeze the consumers. They did not account for how mad the competition was going to be, or how mad the consumers would be. It is backfiring already.

In the long run, it will work in our favor to have the channels split on different platforms. We are suffering a little now because one platform had the monopoly on Greek channels, they thought they had the Greek subscribers cornered and they could do as they pleased to squeeze them.

Competing from two different platforms is fundamentally healthier. The channels will have to compete on quality of programming and price instead of relying on alchemy and deceit.

Well put cyberfish!

You have sumed it up nicely, I think the 'mastermind' of this is ANT1 Group and Dish went along with it. They are to blaim for what has transpired, MEGA is only to blaim for not informing their customers that the channel was moving from Dish to DirecTV. They are perfectly in their right to go to which ever provider they wish, that is the beauty of the free market system. I know people are pissed but you have to wait to see the big picture, meaning wait to see what other channels DirecTV adds to their line-up then see how you feel. The wildcard remains ERT World, they can go anywhere they want, so if they sign with DirecTV (If I were them, I would sign with both providers) then things will change quite a bit.

Dish knew they had the monopoly regarding Greek channels and thus could do what they wanted, but I don't think they expected Globestar to take their channels and move somewhere else because of the outrage that would ensue from customers. Well, it seems Globestar called their bluff and did just that. They were not treated fairly, their channels were shoved into the most expensive package and a la carte was removed so they said 'screw you we're leaving'.

I have to agree with this being good for competition as now people will have a choice where to go based on what channels they are interested in. Plus, the pricing should be competitive since DirecTV & Dish are now competing against each other. Of course, this is not true competition since they won't both carry the same channels, but they will both have services in the same language.

Realistically how many people would subscribe to every Greek channel out there? If one provider had everything people would be paying like $100 a month. So now just choose the ones you are interested in and go from there. This is not Greece, why the need to have everything, especially since each channel is like $15 bucks a pop?!

[b][size=7][color=blue]come on guys,how it will work on our favor when the subs are split they loose revenue they will increase prices period,for crying out loud they are increasing prices now and they don't even have any subs.

healthier you say, quality you say,they are not the programmers they are the distributors.COMMON SENSE

since when the distributors had a say so on the quality of the programming,they allready have binding multiyear contract with them,and what exactly is going to change

Monopoly you say,well they chose to have exclusive contract with dish they could have it otherwise but chose not to,and when the money started rolling in all of a sudden they want more........plain and simple

globestar didn't renew the contract with dish,CHARLIE A.K.A DISHNETWORK doesn't

want to give more money to them and turned around to give ANT1 KYRIAKOU THE PREMIUM STATUS.

EVEN if all and other channels join directv people will still have a problem because they WANT TO watch ANT1 because of soccer or THS AGAPHS H MAXAIRIA eiani pio glykia

apo ta maxairia twn allwn kanaliwn................teleia kai pavla.

YOU WANT CHOICE...... VOICE IT TO THE CEO'S OF ALL COMPANIES

SEND EMAILS

AND STOP SOME CHANNELS FOR A WHILE AND SEE HOW FAST THEY REACT

YOU HAVE TO HURT THEM WHERE IT HURTS THAT'S THE ONLY WAY THEY UNDERSTAND.

WAIT SIX MONTHS BEFORE YOU CAN SUB TO DIRECT ,DROP ANTENNA PACKAGE

AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

NOW YOU WILL HAVE EVERYONE LOOSE MONEY BUT YOU WILL AT LEAST HAVE A SAY ON THIS

BUT TELL THEM WHY

Archived