Phantis Forums

Greek Channels leaving Dish Network

Actually. I think that all the feed comes directly from Greece and Mega. If you look at the TV Guides on the Mega Website, they have the same shows, same days, and same times. What I mean by same times, is that the moment it is played in the USA, it is played in Australia regardless the time.

And come to think of it, I dont recall (dont really remember) any"Greek-American" advertisement/commercials on Mega, just commercials about shows.

So here is my question. Could Globestar actually insert a note to viewer about the switch? It seems that the people from Greece are in charge of all the content. So I think Globestar just sends the signal to Direct TV?? Mega in Greece are the ones that inserted the latest notice......

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They ( Mega ) do show America Commercials for Greek buisness's like Alter Globe does I have seem them every now on then on Mega Cosmos

They play alot on Alter Globe though I dont ever recall seeing any actual Alter Globe commercials showing TV shows or anything all they show is American commercials on Alter

Guys and gals, relax.

Want an alternative to DISH , DIRECTV and their exorbitant fees?

Do what I did.

Use the internet. I can't put the name here, but PM me.

I get all the Greek channels, Antenna, ET1, NET, Mega Alpha, Supersport1 and few others for $25 over the internet.

Get a good TV with HDMI Inputs and a PC with an HDMI out and you got yourself everything for a fraction of the cost.

I just saw Olymbiakos - Sahktar and tomorrow AEK- Anterlecht with greek announcers.

How about them apples.

Only new technology and the threat it brings will lower prices.

Filika

M.

Guys and gals, relax.

Want an alternative to DISH , DIRECTV and their exorbitant fees?

Do what I did.

Use the internet. I can't put the name here, but PM me.

I get all the Greek  channels, Antenna, ET1, NET, Mega Alpha, Supersport1 and few others for $25 over the internet.

Get a good TV with HDMI Inputs and a PC with an HDMI out and you got yourself everything for a fraction of the cost.

I just saw Olymbiakos - Sahktar and tomorrow AEK- Anterlecht with greek announcers.

How about them apples.

Only new technology and  the threat it brings will lower prices.

Filika

M.

Everyone would already know about Greek Net.tv and there illegal activities streaming channels LOL

LOL thats funny when i enter Greek net.tv as 1 word it comes up as scoundrels LOL :D :LOL:

I've had enough of these channels. Its been almost a week since they took off mega and i dont even know what to watch anymore. ert is the only thing that has anything interesting on and i hope they go to DirecTV soon. im calling DirecTV tomorrow to order mega and HBO. if ert decides to come over i will definitely get it and Ant1 can go to hell.

When Globestar didn't renew their contract with DISH the clause in their

agreement stipulates that they should give them 30 days notice in writing(which they didn't not) they are not mind readers on what GLOBESTAR has planned,further more

the agreement is still valid for another year,i am sure a lot of you have seen this in a lot of legal documents including leases e.t.c

1.That's why DISH is pursuing this legally

2.There is no stipulation in the contract that you can't insert an ad telling people MEGACOSMOS will cease operation at dishnetwork on november 30th

for more info call our number,but they didn't even know how to cansel their own contract,and like hellas said they are many other ways to get the message out

How do you know what is in the contract between Dishnet & Globestar?? Do you work for Dish Network or something? I don't think this information is pubic so are you just guessing here?!

And come to think of it, I dont recall (dont really remember) any"Greek-American" advertisement/commercials on Mega, just commercials about shows.

Grk101,

the feed is sent from Greece (MEGA) to Globestar in the US, who then insert commercials in and then retransmit it to whomever carries the channel (DirecTV). How do I know this you ask, simple just watch and you will see that when they insert commercials in its really sloppy, they cut off shows sometimes. So I am fairly certain that if it were MEGA in Greece who were doing it, it would be a better job than this. Also, they do air local advertisements, its just that Alter Globe has more than MEGA does because alot of the commercials on MEGA are for their programming not advertising for various companies/products so you don't notice other commercials as much.

I've had enough of these channels. Its been almost a week since they took off mega and i dont even know what to watch anymore

ellinas10, I have to agree, there is not much on to watch. ERT is the best of the lot IMO for news, sports and cultural programmes and MEGA for entertainment programming. Alter is not very good, not much there of interest to me and ANT1.. well I think everyone knows how I feel about that channel. ;) . Oh well, I guess we should be happy we get anything, few years ago all that was available was ANT1 now look at all the channels available in North America, with more to come.

Grk101,

the feed is sent from Greece (MEGA) to Globestar in the US, who then insert commercials in and then retransmit it to whomever carries the channel (DirecTV).  How do I know this you ask, simple just watch and you will see that when they insert commercials in its really sloppy, they cut off shows sometimes.  So I am fairly certain that if it were MEGA in Greece who were doing it, it would be a better job than this.  Also,  they do air local advertisements, its just that Alter Globe has more than MEGA does because alot of the commercials on MEGA are for their programming not advertising for various companies/products so you don't notice other commercials as much.

Yes you are right. I just was watching, and saw 1 local commercial. Anyway, I beleave if (or should it be "When") Alpha comes, and then Star and Alter moves, word will get out. They will prob. advertise in the Greek news papers and such. I think that Direct TV will recieve a good amount of customers. I know of atleast one show alot of Dish Network people with Ant1 want to see on Alpha and Direct Tv. That is the talk show with Eleni Menegaki. We will see the outcome......

As you said, Mega holds alot of Entertainment power. They got alot of Good shows. My fav. is "Sto Para Pente" (also highest viewed in Greece). There is also "Peninta Peninta", "Polethrono Gia Tris", "Singles", "Pio Poli Tin Kiraki", and the soap "Vera Sto Dixi".

I really dont get this....I was just watching "Omorfos Kosmos To Proi" and the presenter at the end of the show (where the usually greet the people around the world) said that people in America can now view Mega Cosmos on Direct TV and gave the number.

Now who is hearing this?? Mega is not on Dish Network for people to switch. Pointless...

ALSO, I got some info. A friend of mine who does promotion for Greek Concerts in the US, said they called earlier in the day for commercial advertisements (for the concert) and up until that time, they only had 34 subscribers to Mega Cosmos.

I predict it will pick up when word gets out, and more channels go to Direct TV.

34 customers?

Sounds like the boycott that some here talked about, is working :P

One thing I forgot to mention in previous posts, which was touched on by DKSat very early on in this discussion, is that another possible reason why Globestar decided to move their channels to DirecTV is because of the Grey/Black market situation which is very predominent here in Canada. Since Dish is leaking like a sieve, Globestar were probably losing quite a bit of money from all the people who are tapping into Dishnet via 'other' means. DirecTV no longer has these problems so they decided to move.

Mega and Alter are not available here but when they do become available, the subscription number probably would have been low if they had stayed at Dish because alot of people here have access to the Greek channels on Dish through 'other' means so no incentive to subscribe to them legally. Now however, they will have to subsribe if they want to see these channels as that will be the only way to get them.

So for those upset that MEGA is gone, you can now blame Canada if you want! :D

:gr:

I just clicked channel 602 on Dish Network and saw some guy who forgot to shave explaining in Greek how sorry Dish Network is that Globestar pulled MEGA channel without warning.

Somehow, his blabbering fails to invoke any sympathy for Dish Network from me.

Dish Network did not issue any apologies to anyone when it relegated Mega and ERT to the more expensive packages. I don't remember Dish Network calling me to ask me if it would be ok to change my channel line-up, to take away my era sport, and to charge me 2 extra bucks per month. They didn't ask me when they added channel pollution I did not choose to my package They just did it.

I also fail to understand why Mega would just leave. You guys that wrote letters to mega, did you get an answer why they left a huge established customer base for another platform if there was no major reason. Did they just lose their minds? were they bribed by DirectTV? or did they do it to make their subscribers really upset?

As I said before I am no Mega fan, but I am no Dish Network fun either (covering my behind before the Dish Network fanatics begin labeling me as a Mega spy B) ). I pay Dish Network and I deal with them. As far as I am concerned, it is ultimately their business to make me happy and give me the channels I want.

One thing is clear about Globestar taking MEGA COSMOS to DIRECTV.The advertisers aren't very happy.Here in the New York area,it seems every local Greek business advertised on MEGA COSMOS.Some Greek pastry shops just started advertising with the holidays coming up.With DISH,they reached a great number of the Greeks in the area because the majority of the Greeks have DISH network.On DIRECTV,how many people are viewing those commercials?With that being the case,why should the Greek businesses advertise on a channel which virtually no one is watching?That hurts Globestar's pocket :LOL:

Look at these rates they are charging with MEGA COSMOS on DISH

Minimum investments of $2,000 per month

Minimum commitment of 13 weeks

http://www.usglobestar.com/adevertisement.html

Is it worth the cost for 34 subscribers? :gr:

We Report,You Decide

One thing is clear about Globestar taking MEGA COSMOS to DIRECTV.The advertisers aren't very happy.Here in the New York area,it seems every local Greek business advertised on MEGA COSMOS.Some Greek pastry shops just started advertising with the holidays coming up.With DISH,they reached a great number of the Greeks in the area because the majority of the Greeks have DISH network.On DIRECTV,how many people are viewing those commercials?With that being the case,why should the Greek businesses advertise on a channel which virtually no one is watching?That hurts Globestar's pocket :LOL:

Look at these rates they are charging with MEGA COSMOS on DISH

Minimum investments of $2,000 per month

Minimum commitment of 13 weeks

http://www.usglobestar.com/adevertisement.html

Is it worth the cost for 34 subscribers? :gr:

We Report,You Decide

:nono: :nono: :nono: of course is worth it !!!!

Here is why:

$ 2 000 *13/4 = $ 6 500

6 500 /34 = $ 191 - not even 200 bucks per home

Of course if you apply the $191 cost (to advertsice for 13 weeks to one home) to the subscriber count of DirectTV (circa 15 million), you end up with 3 billion, about 10% of the market value of Directv.

Malone of Liberty Media taking over Directv will be very upset to hear how much he overpayed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well I now know of 10 homes (including mine) which have ordered/received Mega on Direct TV.

Well, now, I am sure that more than 10 homes switched to Directv. I read as many as 34 earlier in the thread. :rolleyes:

I gotta say, paying $25 for Vera sto Dexi sounds a little steep. Then again they are set in Trikala now, which I bet costs a lot more than Athens to film so Mega needed the money from the move Globestar engineered.

Archived