Phantis Forums

Anastasiou in Greek National Sqaud

AEKGATE21

Although rehhagal does not have any plans on putting in the Ajax star who has had a pretty good run in the Chamions league so far.

I think he should be given a try in the national squad he usally plays with charisteas up front and he could be valuable the only question is he is 32 is he worth a try?????? :gr:

I say yes. i have espn and i watch live ajax games in holland and in champions league. he is a very talented forward. nice first touch and knows how to put them away.

every team rebuilds, but every team has an older player or 2 around. i say anastasiou has another 2 - 3 years left of football. greece is struggling to find a forward. because charistea cannot shoot outside the 18yrd box with his head... anastasiou can...

another player we should look at who is young is samaras..

i think him and mantzios are greece future forwards :tup:

This was discussed before under the 'players abroad' heading, and yeah, the guy's too old to make a significant difference.

Qualifying doesn't start until next year, and just because he got a few goals in a couple of games doesn't make him the answer to our prayers. I agree that Samaras should have a place on the national team--we should be looking at 19 and 20 year olds, not 32-year olds.

Kyriagos got a game winner in a CL game for Rangers months ago; at that time people would have had him in a NT kit, but what's he done since then? It's consistent results that count.

Conversely, if consistently BAD results really counted, then Charisteas would have been off the team a long time ago.

Incidentally, Seitaridis is struggling so bad in Moscow; what's his problem there? Anybody have a handle on their games?

We have Lymbe as a veteran presence for the NT :blink: :whistle:

Sothika me!!!!! If Lybe is the veteran leadership of our next run LOOK OUT :P

The Leadership will come from Stelios Katsouranis, when healthy the next Greek Capt. with out a doubt will be Dellas! Zags if he sticks around will be Capt.

If Mantzios Papadopoulos and Salpigidis keep progressing then we will be OK, next in the pecking order for STRIKER: Charisteas, Amanatidis Samaras, Placing Stelios up as Support to a solo striker is a good option.

Lybe was put in when we needed him most and disappeared.

We have Lymbe as a veteran presence for the NT :blink: :whistle:

Sothika me!!!!! If Lybe is the veteran leadership of our next run LOOK OUT :P

The Leadership will come from Stelios Katsouranis, when healthy the next Greek Capt. with out a doubt will be Dellas! Zags if he sticks around will be Capt.

If Mantzios Papadopoulos and Salpigidis keep progressing then we will be OK, next in the pecking order for STRIKER: Charisteas, Amanatidis Samaras, Placing Stelios up as Support to a solo striker is a good option.

Lybe was put in when we needed him most and disappeared.

I agree w/what you wrote except for Paps. He may score in the lowly Greek league but he has produced nothing in Europe or for the NT. He is either hurt, can't break into the starting eleven, gets knocked around when he does play and misses whatever chances he gets. Lots of smoke but only a tiny fire !

Not puttng Anastasio of Ajax in the National Club is a mistake. If you have a player abroad that has consistently proven he can score in the Champions League and in the Dutch league you put him on, regardless of the fact he is 32 yrs old. He IS A PROVEN GOALSCORER!!!!. He can actually score without having to wait for the ball to be put right on his foot, like Charisteaes.

I agree with leaving Vryzas out, he worked hard for us and god bless him but he is too tired to be playing on our national team you can see it in every game he plays.

As for only thinking about the young talent, just go back to the Olympic soccer team in 2004, they were just crap. There is no new young guns to be excited about

However, there are bright spots like Darlas, Vintra, Mantzios and a few others, they have shown they can play with the best in Europe. I think the team should be changed incrementaly not overnight.

Remember, even though we won the Euro, we never solved our goalscoring problem, and it showed in the qualifying campaigns and the Confederation cup. We won the Euro on heart and guts but again we have to FIND PROVEN GOAL SCORERS!!!!!.

The last I heard about Charisteas was the rumors that he mya have to retire. Again it was only a rumor and not so sure it was reliable, but given the head injury not completely impossible.

I think everyone's comments about Anastasiou are pretty much on the money. Anastasiou has been good in the CL this year but that it. Keep an eye on him for the next 5-6 months and see how he is performing. Definitely not a starter on the NT.

We can't jump to conclusions once a player has a couple of good games. Look at Gkekas...12 goals with Kallithea before coming to PAO and since then he has not performed to everyones expectations.

Also I think we have the time to put our trust in the younger players. They are going to develop over the next two years and create a dangerous offensive side for the NT, something that we lack during the qualifying rounds of the WC.

• 1 month later...

I say yes. i have espn and i watch live ajax games in holland and in champions league. he is a very talented forward. nice first touch and knows how to put them away.

every team rebuilds, but every team has an older player or 2 around. i say anastasiou has another 2 - 3 years left of football. greece is struggling to find a forward. because charistea cannot shoot outside the 18yrd box with his head... anastasiou can...

another player we should look at who is young is samaras..

i think him and mantzios are greece future forwards :tup:

Levendi 2000 is absolutely right. Anastasio is a proven Champion League scorer, Charisteas is not! Charisteas needs perfect pinpoint passes to score, otherwise he is useless. Anastasio should be on the squad. But what about Giannakopolous lately, he is being considered for the EPL right winger of the year? Maybe he should be re-positioned to the striker position. Him Mantzios and Anastasio would solve our goal scoring problems providing we get a new midfield.

Merry Christmas and Happy New yEAR :gr:

The team based on the euro 04 players is the best option we have, I really can't see us winning with players like Anastasiou or Mantzios commanding up front. Good players, but just not quite what would work under Greece's style of play. Charisteas, Vryzas, Lyberopoulos and Giannakopoulos are arguably the best players Greece can have upfront when attacking through deadballs. When they get at the end of a ball coming into the penatly area the goalie has to pray to good that it doesn't go in.

Almost all our goals come off high balls, either crossed, off corners and freekicks. It's the system that best works with our NT. On deadballs we are the most dangerous team in the world(no team is safe against us in that area), it is our main form of attack. Amanatidis, Mantzios, Anastasiou, Samaras, Choutos, Salpigidis, Gekas aren't very good in that area. Compared to Vryzas, Chari and co, they come nowhere near. We play as a whole, when we attack, we attack in numbers, when we defend we defend in numbers. We attack down the wing thanks to the effortsof Seitaridis and then send a ball high into the box hoping to make something out of it.

That style of play won us a european championship, we don't have team or players that can play otherwise and win something of that magnitude.

The younger guys I like, but they don't fit into the puzzle, atleast not yet.

dont you think its time to change the style of "play"?

i dont know how many good dead balls you saw in the qualifying. none against class opposition. i think we need to get away from the high ball formula and start playing...dont forget one thing except for basinas we have no one who can get a decent corner in,...

Guys, forget about this geezer. He's too phucking old. Hell, right now we should be looking to replace the current 30 year-olds, not add more.

As far as our 'style of play', I think there's a word for it; desperation. Hoping for the right kind of cross every single time for your goals is nonsense.

Tap-ins through deft, no-look passing, bent balls from the outside of the box, deflections, cannon shots--there are many ways to score, and unless we start grooming youngsters to do these things, the NT's win in '04 will truly be considered a fluke at best.

Germany has always been known as a defensive team, but of late, they've been able to win by outscoring the opposition.

Everyone is thinking only of the next Euro Cup....

Greece has to think of it's rebuilding process to included both the Euro and the next World Cup which is 4 and 1/2 years away.

Players now over 30 should only be considered as back ups for the next Euro Cup but we can't put too much investment in them only to find they aren't usefu in the next WC qualifications.

Please....some youth....

i agree that there needs to be long term vision to establish greece in the international competitions. this means a total change from the way we are playing right now. the formula that brought us the euro is played out. it was great while it lasted...

we need to get a new generation of players. hopefully otto is the right man to do so. ideally this team can grow during the euro and form the base of our world cup team for 2010. one thing is clear though, it is very possible that greece wont make it to the euro 08.

I trust in Otto, he has a winning record and within 2 years he has won more games than any other coach before.

Just remeber, Greece isn't Brazil, it isn't France, it isn't Germany, we don't have players who can single handly change a game, we don't have many players who could even play on the world cup stage. All in all we have little choice but to stick to our guns. Critic the style all you want but it won us a european championship and no other style, right now with the players Greece has, will ever do the same. You'll have guys like Samaras for another 15 years, guys like Zagorakis until 2008. I'd rather have guys like Zagorakis give it one more go, they've proven thmeselves once. Besides can you honestly see Samaras or amanatidis bring teams like Spain, France, Portugal, Czech Republic to their knees. As of now I don't, perhaps in 4 years but not now.

get of the euro 2004 trip...thats over and done with. whats important now is how greece can get to the euro and have a competitive side. they its to get to the top, staying there is the difficult part. the style of play we had in portugal worked at that time, in that place..why?

rehagel had the master dellas to keep things clean in the defense. dellas has been injured ever since. our defense which is our strong side sucked ever since. what guns are you talking about now? we neeed to hope dellas can return. nad get kiriakos and tavlaridis in there as well. you want to keep kapsis for the euro 08??

it was our luck dabizas injured himself before the portugal tournament, else he would have probably been a starter for otto. i say we wouldn have made it to the france game then..

otto had the genius of tsiartas, who we dont have anymore. tsiartas saved us against spain and against the czechs. in the qualifying he had the great striker nikolaidis whou could create chances. talented lakis..we dont have these players anymore..we need change just to replace them.

zagorakis is 34, he ll be 36-37 for euro 08. right now nobody falls to his knees for zago except some greek model chicks. he wouldn t even start for paok if it wasn t for his name. if you want to center the whole euro campauing around zagorakis fine. it will be over fairly quick then.

roughly the same euro tournament players played in the world cup qualifying and didnt achieve nothing. its mandatory to change the team alot. we are no longer the underdog we cant just wait for one magic tsiartas corner all game anymore. because no one underestimates the euro champ and we dont have tsiartas anymore.

did you see the denmark game? were greece didn t have a single chance...

it was our luck dabizas injured himself before the portugal tournament, else he would have probably been a starter for otto. i say we wouldn have made it to the france game then..

i remember that stroke of luck in the qualifiers, Dabizas was injured in a car accident while driving home from victory celebrations (1-0) vs. Ukraine i don't remember. but just imagine if he wasn't in a car accident then Kapsis would never have gotten his chance.

having said that, it's time to rebuild and old farts like Anastsiou are not the answer, he scored a few champions league goals...that's not a big deal, that's no reason for him to be called up, in the Durch league he's barely played.

we need to play the youngsters for entire matches, not like the 15 mins. that Kotsolis played vs. Hungary, what the ####'s the point of that. they need to play together in entire matches so by the time the euro 2008 qualifiers come around they will develop into a good working unit

Archived