Phantis Forums

Fan violence

Montreal_Thrillos

My friend it's not a question wether you or I would do it. Someone w/ the right state of mind and loves the game of soccer would not do this type of behaviour.

This happens when there are uneducated fools in which they come together and think they can overtake a person or person(s).

What needs to happen is to get very involved in security just like it is in the UK.

Guest Protathlitis

15 months in jail is a very long time in the slammer. I think thats over the top considering their crime

WHATS WRONG WITH TELLING EVERYBODY THATS WHAT THE PUNISHMENT WILL BE BEFORE THEY HAND OUT A SENTENCE LIKE THAT FOR SOMETHING WHICH IS WIDELY DONE IN GREEK FOOTBALL?

15 months in jail is a very long time in the slammer. I think thats over the top considering their crime

No it isn't. They will appeal, so expect it to be reduced to a few months. Then they will probably be able to pay for their freedom. Even worse, judges may grant them a reprieve ("anastoli"). That is how it works here. Public anger is reassured because of the first trial, then they quietly relax the punishment and everyone is happy....

As for the penalty, it isn't as harsh as you think. If I riot and and destroy someone's property, I will be fined with similar punishment. I don't understand why laws should be different for crimes inside stadiums.

That this crime "is widely done in Greek football" isn't an excuse. It has to stop, isn't this all we are talking about in the last few months?

Guest Protathlitis

of course its an excuse for why they shouldent get such a heavy penalty. its not fair that they should get such a heavy sentence if all they did was rip up seats.

If there was a law which said exaclty what kind of a punishment throwing seats entails then it would be fine. if the appeal works is irrelevant to what im saying dipapa

To be honest what is needed is some very specific laws and corresponding punishments. and didnt the gays rip up their own seats at leoforo this season? should they get 15 months in jail as well?

i read about this at some site

4 people convicted

thats great their was also a fine

i mean this needs to stop and were at least taking the right measures on doing so

off course the violence we know won't stop but it's one step to the right direction so lets keep taking a step more

To be honest what is needed is some very specific laws and corresponding punishments. and didnt the gays rip up their own seats at leoforo this season? should they get 15 months in jail as well?

as far as i know these punishments were given out according to a new law, which was installed after the nea smyrni incidents. the people in greece should have known that.

apart from the jail they also have to pay a fine 3000 euros (me atokes dosis mexri to 2006 :LOL: ). quite a lot for a normal greek citizen. and furtheron they are not allowed to go to a osfp or ergotelis match for one year after they come out of prison. each time these teams play, they have to go by at their nearest police station.

imo these are good decisions. if the punishments wouldnt be so hard the people wouldnt get that affraid. additionally to the jailtime it is also the impact on the families pride that will help a lot. my father would cut me out of his will if i had to go to prison.

Protathliti, I'm not a lawyer but common sense dictates that their crimes were more than simply "throwing some seats".

• They didn't simply throw seats to the open space. They deliberately threatened others (keep the word "deliberately", it means much for the juridical system) with severe physical injuries.
  • They destroyed public property
  • (I'm not sure for this but it usually happens in such cases) they probably resisted arrest.
You see, 3 crimes in a row. Real crimes, not just a matter of semantics.

You cannot have specific laws for this type of behaviour.

As dipapa stated there are probably in that one example three types of laws broken.

Breaking seats isnt warranted jailtime - its what they did with the seats. Therefore the seats isnt the issue, the fact they used them as weapons against other people.

Public property is another issue.

This people who do carry out these actions dont sound like they are normal people. People who have a sense of family pride...

imo these are good decisions. if the punishments wouldnt be so hard the people wouldnt get that affraid. additionally to the jailtime it is also the impact on the families pride that will help a lot. my father would cut me out of his will if i had to go to prison.

My family would be the same...but I was brought up not to become fanatical over a soccer...even though i still think I am.

I just dont think handing out a few jailtimes here and there is enough. We need alot more to crack down hard. It all comes back to taking back the punishment dished out to both OSFP and Panionios (taking away points). If that punishment had not been taking back I think these so called fans would have thought twice.

And another thing - how do these people call themselves fans if they continuously carry out this sort of behaviour that can potentially put their club at risk of fines, playing behind empty stadiums etc.

Guest Protathlitis

of course yu can have specific laws for this type of thing; dont be ridiculous

if they actually do exist then thats fine but otherwise I maintain that you cant throw someone in jail for 15 months if there is no precedent for such a common thing

Do we all agree that violence is not good for the sport and our teams?

Because I'm not sure everyone is on the same page here!

So, why is there violence? Who promotes it? Is it spontaneous, and if it is, how can you prevent it from happening again? Are there are just a couple hundred people who are responsible for the "ektropa?"

If we think critically and without team bias we can answer these questions. I believe that unless you make it very costly for the teams and the idiots who cause these problems, nothing will change for the better.

This means: Arrest, jail and fine the violent fans. Deduct points from the teams. Go after the owners and all those who use inflamatory language--even go as far as remove an owner for defaming the sport!

The sport is above all teams. Without it the teams wouldn't exist, unless they become gang clubs! Protect the integrity of the sport: background checks, and supervision of referies and all involved in the sport.

I believe that this is a very critical time. Football in Greece is losing ground, fewer people are attending, and the younger generations having so many other choices are not becoming fans of football as in the past.

Finally, reversing the decision to deduct points and forfeit the Panionios-Oly game was the worst thing to happen right now. It shows that there is no integrity, certain teams get special treatment (because I don't think Kallithea would have succeeded in reversing the judgment against it in same situation), and that "everything goes"....

Only in Greece a few hundred cannibals have made the rest of the true fans shy away from the sport they like and the teams they love.... If I had a son, I wouldn't take him to the gipedo today.... too dangerous (not to mention the quality of the game). I wonder if a young person doesn't experience the sport right up close, then how could this person become a true fan and care about the sport?

if this continues, football will die out in Greece, not too far in the future either....

Archived