Phantis Forums

PAE PAOK General News (2018-2019)

There's no way it'll be 12. For that kind of money, we could buy two of him...

Saw on instagram that Mauricio may be offered an extension on his contract. Now that's a show of faith. Of course the player wants more money.

I think the Wernbloom/Oliveira combination is going to be real interesting next summer. We weren't likely to go up against CL-caliber teams without a defensive midfielder, so we were likely to see him anyway. Hopefully he'll be fully fit in time.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mihojevic got injured, he's out for about three weeks. Probably not the best news for OFI, as they are due for relegation if results stand (ignoring their..."legal" problems)...

Wernbloom apparently ran for the first time since his injury today. Very good news. I bet we'll see him in the qualifiers. Will be great to see how well he partners with Oliveira (who I am feeling pretty confident will be with us this summer)

No idea. Perhaps he wanted to go a few steps farther than the club did? Or perhaps he just really didn't like living in Greece. Had his time been a huge success, I think we would have seen them talking about his results more over the past few years. But who knows; this is youth development we're talking about.

What I didn't write, was perhaps Branco just didn't like him. So, I could believe it. Differences of opinion is usually PR-speak for, "pissed off the wrong person or was incompetent."

• 2 weeks later...

Paok needs to invest in some better midfielders for champions league; need some more "glue", faster, skilled players with more vision.

I dunno if Oliviera fits that bill, we need players that can constantly create chances from the midfield.  

Edited by Nilaul

One rumor I saw on the 'ole instagram was that we were going for three higher-priced signings - a RB that would be at least as good as Matos, a midfielder (though it was not clear to me if this is in addition to Oliveira, or possibly him), and a winger. It seems we may need a LB at this time as well. Finding someone comfortable on both sides would probably be the solution for our fullback situation.

I like Giannoulis and think he is a good long-term situation on that side (though I'm sure most people here would disagree). But to have no backup/competition for him until December would be madness.

Keep in mind Wernbloom should be back in June. He'll doubtlessly miss the first qualifiers, but hopefully he'll be ready for the last matchup.

Terrible news about Vieirinha.  Out for at least 6 months.  He is literally irreplaceable.  I don’t think there is any player on the planet with his skill set that we could sign.  Stafylidis seems the logical choice and he’ll be solid, but I know who I’d rather be playing with on the flank if I’m playing LW.  And I know who I’d not prefer to have playing if I’m the opposition.  Now is the time for Staf to man up and return when we need him.

Vieirinha's injury is a huge blow. He is a quality player has come up big in multiple big moments throughout the season. Thankfully the league title is all but wrapped out but his absence will be felt in the Cup final (assuming we close out the 2nd leg) and of course next season but we have a whole summer to prepare for that/sign players. 

I would be very surprised if Stafylidis came back at this early stage, he's back playing for Ausburg I'd say he has enough currency in Germany and Europe to stay in a better league. In saying that I'm pretty sure his contract expires in a few months, so the stars may align