Phantis Forums

SL-R1: PAOK FC - Skoda Xanthi (23-Aug-15, 19:15 GR)

Blackhawk

I'm pretty excited about seeing these guys play together...Only 6/11 players were in the lineup in Europe.  It's promising to see Tudor feels like some of these guys are ready to start...

I'm concerned about half the team being people who've only trained together for two weeks...

Call me optimistic but after a pre season of not really addressing the gaping hole in the centre of defence (aside from signing a player that should've been on our list the previous season), a clean sheet away to a side that destroyed us there last season is a positive to build on for matchday 1.

In saying that we still need another centreback as well as the forward we're expected to sign

Edited by Pontos

Correct on needing those signatures, but this was actually a home match. It's heartening that we kept a clean sheet, however.

Tudor being grilled by the press on the rotation, the park the bus mentality he'll be seeing in Greece, and the refs:

Tudor stated that 4 of the new players only had 2 practice sessions with the team, which makes sense.

Like most others, I didn't get to see the match.  I honestly can't listen to a whole game on the radio, I get distracted by all the other things I do, BUT from what I did hear, we didn't perform very well, a lot of the players seemed out of synch with each other, Sabo seemed to have a hard time getting anything going, Cimirot got a potentially bad injury (we should hear more today), and our defense held a clean sheet which is huge considering all the concerns on defense.

Let's get our ticket to the Group stages on Thursday,  and then we need to get 3 points on Sunday vs. PAS because then we have a rough stretch of:

Veria (away)

AEK (home)

Atromitos (away)

Oly (home)

Iraklis (away)

PAO (home)

Asteras (home) 

We need to get all the new guys on board and firing on all cylinders FAST because we're getting tossed in the deep end of the pool early, with no relief until November. 

Edited by BostonThanatos

Thursday's game can absolutely be used to rest players like Pelkas and our defenders, and be used to give more time to Koulouris and Klaus (as we were saying a few days ago). I think ideally, we go back to last Thursday's lineup for this weekend, with a minimum of changes - these guys need to be worked in slowly, and I don't really agree that there's a lot of pressure to get them in immediately. The team is fresh and the season is long, after all.

Cimirot being injured is a problem, but Kace will also be available for the next match, as he has now served his suspension.

• Like it 1

for that tough stretch of games... why are they giving us all the big home games so early? AEK, oly, and PAO are coming to toumba within the next couple months? from then on who do we look forward to hosting at toumba besides european opponents.

• Like it 1

After seeing the highlights, I feel like this was a match where Klaus would have made the difference.  There were a bunch of good crosses that went to waste.  Klaus may not be great at much, but the one thing he's usually great at is being at the right place at the right time for a nice cross in traffic.