Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - Summer 2015

pash

Olympiakos is going to *easily* win the title this year. Our only chance for the future, is to take a risk or three and hope it works out with some of these players. So far, I like this team more than what we had last year.

In my honest and humble opinion PAOK has assembled a team that is more akin to Xanthi or Panetolikos with these signings..

Sabo,Jairo, Cimirot, Antonis, Rodriguez, Pelkas(back from loan spell)

Ever the optimist.  With all your knowledge of matters football, I will recommend that Arnesen consult with you before making any transfers.

• Like it 2

Ever the optimist.  With all your knowledge of matters football, I will recommend that Arnesen consult with you before making any transfers.

Bananas he's right. A year ago you could get players like Stoch, Maduro, Martens, Loukas, Noboa, who werent old but still wanted by many other teams.

The most annoying thing is your teams throws players out that are actually pretty good. Maduro, Pereyra, Loukas, Noboa... For what ever reason ... it's a shame.

With PAOK's fanbase they could easily become so much more competetive so i find it a shame.

The most annoying thing is your teams throws players out that are actually pretty good. Maduro, Pereyra, Loukas, Noboa... For what ever reason ... it's a shame.

Even if all those players are good as you say, but if they have no intentions of performing for you and in some cases the only reason the came to Thessaloniki is to go bar hopping, than there is no reason to keep them around. That's why all these new young players that are coming to the team are hungry and ready to prove themselves will perform much better than some of those primadonas. Arnesen has started the re-building process, and the results will not be instant. It will take couple years for the team to become a great team. I only hope the fans and Savvidis have the patience for the team to be built. 

• Like it 1

I don't know. Those players you threw out werent really troublemakers at their previous clubs. So thats why i find it strange they all of a sudden become troublemakers or baraddicts at PAOK, ofcourse Saloniki is a wonderful city but still....

And If they wanted to leave thats their mistake they signed a contract they have obligations. If all the clubs let big players like that leave that easy there wouldnt be a transfermarket in the footballworld.

The other example is Maduro is a good player i've read multiple interviews with this guy saying he loves Saloniki. You cant tell me that even on his worst days he isnt better then Tziolis or Vitor or Tzavellas. Sorry but such strange choices.

I'm not on a witchhunt here but it's not one player, it's many and good players thats why it bothers me.

Arnesen will not built anything he will only destroy things he won't last long I hope you kick him out soon.

BTW Rosina was a good player 5 years ago but now I didnt even know he still played football. You shouldnt get him.

I agree about Maduro, he seems to have a great attitude. His twitter feed is always very positive, and he is a big improvement over Tziolis. If he survives another two weeks, I'm sure he'll get some play time.

As for the others - Noboa got cold feet after the economic crisis hit (allegedly), and Lucas was desperate to play for his boyhood love. It's very hard to compete with them. Hell, he took a pay cut to play in Spain - while Noboa could make a lot more money in Russia.

At the end of the day, having people who don't want to be here, leads to players like Oliseh - talent that is wasted, but plays at only "half strength." This is why I - mostly - agree with what Arnesen is doing. Even if the players we get these next two years aren't insanely talented, give me a solid season with people who want to be there and will give it their all.

Look at the matches we've already played - even going down to ten men, or going down a goal, doesn't stop them. Last year, they would have collapsed immediately. This year, they've shown at least some character. Look at the parakamera video from the last match vs Spartak - Savvidis, Pelkas, Mistakidis - at the end of the game all of the young guys went over to the crowd and screamed out the same chants the fans were. Now THAT is what I want to see, even if those guys aren't world beaters.

Looks like the Antonis signing is a done deal. PAOK will pay Sydney 500K. PAOK also told Antonis that he is guaranteed to be on the team until January 2016 in order to prove himself. His contract is set at 200K per season.

The Toivonen rumor has also re-surfaced again. Would be a good signing in my opinion.

• Like it 1

Look at the matches we've already played - even going down to ten men, or going down a goal, doesn't stop them. Last year, they would have collapsed immediately. This year, they've shown at least some character. Look at the parakamera video from the last match vs Spartak - Savvidis, Pelkas, Mistakidis - at the end of the game all of the young guys went over to the crowd and screamed out the same chants the fans were. Now THAT is what I want to see, even if those guys aren't world beaters.

One of the few signings I like is your coach. He seems to be a smart guy when it comes down to football. The rest of the new players need to prove themself yet. Talents are always there in Makedonia. They just need chances.

Speaking of troublemakers.. Toivonen is as big as a troublemaker as they come...

Looks like the Antonis signing is a done deal. PAOK will pay Sydney 500K. PAOK also told Antonis that he is guaranteed to be on the team until January 2016 in order to prove himself. His contract is set at 200K per season.

From what I've seen of Antonis I think he's a good prospect with a bright future.

Skilful, good passer of the ball, good shooter. Recently played for the socceroos at the age of 21. National coach (Postecoglou) rates him highly I believe.

Playing for PAOK and possibly in Europe is a different ball game, but I hope he develops and becomes a good player in the Greek league. Good luck to him. 

Doxa, all the players you mentioned fall into one of two categories.  Sincere but injury plagued and generally past it, or vendettas that play when they have kefia.  Players like Stoch I don't want near the club.  I would hate to play with a guy like that on the field, where you don't know what you'll get from week to week.

PAOK has tried the "bam signings" model ad nauseam over the last 3 seasons.  It doesn't work.  I'm over it.  Seeing over payed kreata that can't or won't play.  If the situation was reversed with Olympiakos, and our budget was 4x every other clubs budget, yes, it would work.  But as it is, it won't.  You guys keep asking for "bam" signings.  They don't exist.

I'm happy for the moment to try something different.  If Arnesen's approach fails, well, I'll worry about that later.  How long should I wait before judging him ?  If the team fails, is it his fault or the players fault, or the managers fault, or the referees fault, or Marinakis fault ?

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 2

Assembling a bunch of young talented players who can grow and come through together is better then wasting millions on players like Stoch, Ninis etc who cant wait to leave the place.

Exactamundo.  I want to start seeing a team, as opposed to a bunch of individuals.  And to do that, you need players that listen, are willing to learn and willing to adapt.  Vendettas don't want that.

• Like it 2

In theory this sounds good...

however I have reservations about unknown players who are not kids...22-23 established ages for professionals coming from low caliber leagues ...Does Arnesen and...Tudor really understand the expectations of PAOK and the GSL?

I do like Tudor's approach and he is hungry and passionate

The thing is there has to be some objective measure on the standard of the Greek Super League away from bias and perceptions.

For every one person who defends the quality of the GSL (let's use me as that person) there are 5 other people who dismiss it. Most of these critics wouldn't have a clue about the quality of the Greek league.

If the GSL was as poor as what the naysayers think it is, then Antonis will be a boss in the PAOK midfield as he was for Sydney FC in the A-League.

Basically the way Nathan Burns tore it up at AEK! Oh wait...he never did! He was one of the best in last years A-League though.

The A-League is inferior to the GSL. The standard of players the A-LG attracts is Beta Ethniki standard at best.

Glossy highlights packages and small boutique rectangle stadiums that are 2/3 full doesn't suggest that the standard is even close to the Cypriot league let alone the GSL.

The A-LG has 10 teams and 6 of those teams are at an amateur level. There's no relegation/promotion and the same players get recycled through the various teams.

With all the problems that exist in the Greek league and yes there are many and in many ways the standard is going backwards, it's still at least 15 years ahead of the A-LG, Norwegian, Danish, Czech, Scottish, Polish, Swedish, Slovak, Israeli and 25 other European leagues which I'm not going to mention.

Assembling a bunch of young talented players who can grow and come through together is better then wasting millions on players like Stoch, Ninis etc who cant wait to leave the place.

exactly i totally agree with you mate. it was at least embarassing and unfair for the other players in our team, paying millions to players like Stoch, to see him playing well in only 5-6 games a year.