Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - Summer 2015

pash

Pereyra to Qabala is like a Bizarro World of our usual strategy, which is poach an opponents player AFTER we have played a team in the UEL, not BEFORE. I still think Pereyra is good, but better Qabala than AEK or PAO. 

Cyprus perfect for Koulouris ... Better than B' Ethniki and far away from the Greek SL politics. He is too young and PAOK fans are far too fickle to risk his psyche with their knee-jerk-reactionary-stalking-outside-the-parking-lot-craziness. 

@paokara - 100% agree with your take on Marica. He will be a perfectly good rental player for one season and fills a need.

Pereyra to Qabala is like a Bizarro World of our usual strategy, which is poach an opponents player AFTER we have played a team in the UEL, not BEFORE. I still think Pereyra is good, but better Qabala than AEK or PAO. 

Cyprus perfect for Koulouris ... Better than B' Ethniki and far away from the Greek SL politics. He is too young and PAOK fans are far too fickle to risk his psyche with their knee-jerk-reactionary-stalking-outside-the-parking-lot-craziness. 

@paokara - 100% agree with your take on Marica. He will be a perfectly good rental player for one season and fills a need.

Could there be a clause that he can't play against us? Or does that s%$#! no fly on an international level?

Courtois was allowed to play vs Chelsea in that champions league final. I believe UEFA had to announce beforehand that the non-compete clauses in these contracts were invalid. However, this was a high profile case, and I would bet that nobody would enforce it if PAOK did try to do it.

It would really suck if we do loan him out, only to cop a few from him. Would be just like us.

I'm reading that we are no longer actively seeking a transfer but will pick up an out-of-contract player instead (deadline for that is September 11) for the ST/CF position.

I'm thinking a Vukic type who can play 15-20 productive minutes per game max. I get Samaras failed a medical, but man, that could have been a nice fit if we gave him a month or so to rehab. He is just 30, there has to be gas in that tank. I mean ... the NY Cosmos??? US soccer's second division???

My biggest fear -- once the corrupt KED characters realize Klaus is our only striker, he will start seeing yellow cards like there is no tomorrow, and thus see suspensions for key games. That or he will be getting flat out mugged in the box with no calls, teams will start to take liberties with him, and he gets another injury. 

I hate being reactionary so I will wait until 9/11 to judge, but for once, I am seriously worried ...

Are there any worthwhile out-of-contract players, that would fulfill our needs?

Getting a Vukic-type guy would be delightful (for the role that Salpi was intended to play), but we need a guy who can actually start alongside Klaus consistently. We would be terribly thin in options once an injury or fatigue or (obviously) cards come into play. Unless they're thinking Jairo (already suspended) will make this position his own.

Anastasiadis tried playing people out of position last year too. It worked for a while. I don't want to see us making this same error again.

Here is a list of unattached strikers (who knows how complete it is):

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus/?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=2015&yt0=Show

Pretty slim pickings but I would at least entertain:

Lekic-Uche (both played a decent amount of games in La Liga last season) or

Kitambala (pretty full season in Belgium) 

None of those three were prolific scorers by any means in 14/15, but they played at a high level. Higher than the SL anyway.

p.s. Jairo did not earn himself any points against PAS ... Very poor showing both tactically and emotionally. 

Edited by teke817

Just so we're on the same pages, here is my summary of this off-season.  Point out where I may be wrong:

So Ivan said he has given Arnesen $25-$30M Euros for transfers, and after paying everyone to leave, we brought in a bunch of cheap nobodies and a goalie who is worse than all 3 goalies we had last year, not including Jakobo who was on loan, with the hope of building in the future, we got outbid and slapped in the face in regards to a striker on more than 3 occasions, we have no solutions to the gaping holes in defense.  We are once again in a rebuilding year with a coach who only has coached about 40 matches professioinally, who has the players working hard on tactics/physical conditioning (like every other coach in the past....if I read "

Edited by BostonThanatos
  • Like it 1

Nikitas posted in the Samaras thread that the Cosmos rumor is not true. Honestly, he might be a better option than the other free agents. Free, and probably would be able to start playing in about a month, considering how out of shape he is.

On the other hand, his style is the complete opposite of what Tudor/Arnesen value.

Pereyra being sent on loan to Qabala? Are you ###### kidding me?

I think we are changing transfer strategy. Before we used to acquire players that score on us in European competitions. Now we are going to be loaning players to teams so they can score on us. :D

• Like it 2

@BostonThanatos - Where was it stated publicly that PAOK had a transfer budget of ?20+ million?

I understand feeling some disappointment, but "big picture" I think you should be pleased. 

-We got into the UEL group stage (with relative ease) with a patchwork roster which is a huge accomplishment under the circumstances. Just ask PAO.

-Young guys like Kitsiou and Konstadinidis have flourished with the new system and in high pressure situations. A kid like Mystakidis has come out of nowhere and been

productive. 

-We had an aging roster for the last 3 seasons and now we are one of the youngest teams in the SL. 

-Some of the young guys we brought in are "unknown" to us perhaps, but are not considered "cheap nobodies" in the scouting world. 

• We beat out Celtic (among other clubs) who were hot after Cimirot, who at 22 has 2 caps on a Bosnia NT that is absolutely stacked with quality midfielders (who are the property of some heavy hitting European clubs). 
  • Antonis was almost a Chelsea and Everton player but for an injury/etc. 
  •  

PAE PAOK made it official with an announcement.

Koulouris on loan to Anorthosis

Pougogoura on loan to Veroia

Pereyra on loan to Gabala for one year after extending his current contract for one more year.

@BostonThanatos - Where was it stated publicly that PAOK had a transfer budget of ?20+ million?

I understand feeling some disappointment, but "big picture" I think you should be more optimistic ...

-We got into the UEL group stage (with relative ease) with a patchwork roster which is a huge accomplishment under the circumstances. Just ask PAO.

-Young guys like Kitsiou and Konstadinidis have flourished with the new system and in high pressure situations. A kid like Mystakidis has come out of nowhere,  and been

productive. 

-We had an aging roster for the last 3 seasons and now we are one of the youngest teams in the SL. 

-Some of the young guys we brought in are "unknown" to us perhaps, but are not considered "cheap nobodies" in the scouting world. 

• We beat out Celtic (among other clubs) who were hot after Cimirot, who at 22 has 2 caps on a Bosnia NT that is absolutely stacked with quality midfielders (who are the property of some heavy hitting European clubs). 
  • Antonis was almost a Chelsea and Everton player but for an injury/etc. 
  • Leovac was arguably the best player against PAS and looks like the real deal (albeit 1 game); Remember Holebas was a 26 y.o. nobody when OSFP brought him into the fold and now he is a LB mainstay on the NT and still a hot property at 30. 
  • Jairo/Rodrigues are still question marks but young enough where they could still turn out to be stars. 

I can't explain Olsen. Personally, I thought Glykos did not deserve to lose his starting spot after returning from injury last year. People overlook him because he doesn't have that quintessential GK size. If he ends up our #1 and Olsen is just a tall backup we develop, that's fine. GK is a totally different position than any other because it is a mental game as much as anything ... Guys go from stud to dud in a matter of weeks all the time. Ask Iker Casillas, Diego Lopez, every Arsenal GK last season, etc. 

Honestly, if this season is all about installing a system, developing and/or grooming a core group of players for the future, figuring out who has the ability and who does not, adding/subtracting further in January and next summer, then I don't care where we finish as long as we build a squad that is a legitimate competitor for the next 3-5 years.

Even if I have to wait until 2016/17 I want this project done RIGHT. As PAOK fans we always think a huge win means we have finally arrived and a bad loss means we are garbage. 

As far as I can remember it was some PAOK reporter that claimed Savvidis will give Arnesen 20 mil for transfer, which basically means that it could be a made up figure to sell papers and get clicks on their web site.