Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheLegend

Some more news for our NT:

Dellas is out against Aris. It is almost that at the end of a busy season, Dellas can not make more than 2 games in a row. I am sure he will miss at least one game at the first round of EURO2008.

Also Sam won't feature for the friendly against Cyprus. This is also bad news for us because he is part of our striking force and no team should be above the NT. So I expect that he will have the role of the sub at EURO2008. Perhaps he can come in and make a difference. The guy must understand that if he is to play for the European Champions, this must be his first priority, not some Celtic team.

Greece is playing a fridnly which no one gives 2 shits if they win. Samaras has been doing good and is looking for a steady team. If he decides to leave what happens is celtic just forgets about him. Then what. No proffesional games for 2-3 years... ?

Why Otto? Why dont you call up a kid insteed? If you know Samaras isnt going, call on Mitroglou so at leats he can get the experience. Otto really ticks me off. But I cant complain because he gets the results!

Still though, he is destroying the future.

And the Tavlaridis thing is rediculous. Ive only see him play one or two times ( plus the confed cup) and he did not look bad. But really I can judge him of that. But on the results/ratings he has been getting in France, he should be starting yet alone get called up.

Why Otto? Why dont you call up a kid insteed? If you know Samaras isnt going, call on Mitroglou so at leats he can get the experience. Otto really ticks me off. But I cant complain because he gets the results!

Still though, he is destroying the future.

And the Tavlaridis thing is rediculous. Ive only see him play one or two times ( plus the confed cup) and he did not look bad. But really I can judge him of that. But on the results/ratings he has been getting in France, he should be starting yet alone get called up.

Yes he gets results, but will he get them at the Euros and in the WC qualifiers after that? I'm not so sure anymore.

As for Tavlaridis, we don't know what he said exactly guys. Otto's work relies on him being respected, if Tavlaridis said something dumb and refuses to apologise I don't blame Otto for exiling him.

Otto is very frustrating.

He was solely responsible for us not qualifying for WC '06 but has managed to turn things around since so I guess we will have to put our faith in him.

I get frustrated why he doesn't call on Tavlaridis and also blood Ninis either.

Ninis should be given a chance in the squad for Euro.

You lot need to show a little gratitude and stop goin on like you know how to do a better job then Otto. He knows exactly what he's doin and he's got a euro trophy to prove it. All those youngsters you are all talkin about will be in the squad for the world cup 2010 qualifyin round. We will do well at the euro and I trust in our manager 150%, so you lot can go on like you are managers all day long, but the stark reality at the end of the day is that Otto is 10 steps ahead of all of you. Be patient and let the man do his job.

Guest geok

Agree with Marangos on most but Tavlaridis really deserves a chance at least for a friendly.

Some recent news from our opponents: (taken from www.euro2008.uefa.com)

FC Lokomotiv Moskva captain Diniyar Bilyaletdinov has backed Russia to reach the last eight at UEFA EURO 2008™ at least, believing that a "very even" Group D gives his side every chance of progressing to the knockout stage.

High hopes

"This year I expect a good performance and a league title from my club and a decent showing in the [uEFA] European Championship from the national team," the 23-year-old told uefa.com. "I am not into making predictions, but I am sure Russia are capable of getting to the quarter-finals."

'Play for victory'

Russia kick off their campaign against Spain on 10 June before meeting title-holders Greece in Salzburg four days later. A match against Sweden completes their group-stage schedule, and Bilyaletdinov is adamant his side should go into every game confident of victory. "All of our opponents have their own style. Maybe the Spanish are a bit stronger than the rest out of the blocks, but overall it's a very even group and you can aim for victory against each of the teams."

Hard work

Bilyaletdinov has been capped 20 times by Russia and was a central figure during qualifying, making ten appearances during their surprise success in Group E. He is the first to concede, though, that eight matches into the Russian season he is yet to hit top form and has plenty of hard work to do before travelling to Austria and Switzerland.

'Average form'

"I am still in average form, so there is room for improvement," said Bilyaletdinov, who is in his fifth term with Lokomotiv where he came through the ranks. "There is a lot of work to do in the month before the EURO. I have to try and play the way I would play at the EURO, not wasting chances, making good passes. At the same time, it's important to be careful and avoid risking an injury."

Penalty taker

Two of Bilyaletdinov's three goals this Premier-Liga season have come from the penalty spot and he would not be afraid of stepping up again if asked to do so in June. "I have never taken a penalty for the national team, only for Lokomotiv, but if they ask me to take one in a European Championship tie, I will try to justify their faith. Taking a penalty is always a major responsibility."

Guest geok

And for all our hopefuls (or naive fans) out there.

It will be a great success if Greece reaches the final 8. This is a well balanced Group and everyone can win over the other.

Actually for me, Greece NT is just marginally in a better position than the old team to qualify, because we have a better striking force than 4 years ago (but weakened middlefield though).

I would be very pleased indeed if we reach the final 8 and then bow out with an excellent performance (although deep in my heart I would like to see us lifting it again, as most of you out there). If Greece consistently reaches the final 8 in major competitions we should all be very pleased. Top 8 teams in Europe always get top seeded as you all know.

We may appear to demand more from our team because we believe that we have a better squad than the last time around; but better squad does not guarantee better results. I would urge you to reduce your expectations and demands from our Team just because I think that there is a considerable chance that we may all be dissapointed at 20 June...

I have a feeling that 4 points will be enough in this group for the second place, which means that we must win one game for sure. Let's wait and see.

And to remind you of another issue: 4 years ago a lot complained (rightfully) that Otto did not take the best players out there but at the end he got the trophy! So because he knows his game much better than we do, lets show some faith to him at this moment; he has thoroughly earned it!

Guest geok

One of the best thing that we can do as greek fans (apart from analyzing our opponents of course) is this: (extracted from www.contra.gr)

I totally agree with marangos...and please lets not all sound like the old pessimistic greek people i encountered at the kafeneia during euro 2004...if any of us had the knowledge or experience to coach Greece we would certainly not be here writing posts...have we all forgotten where greece once was and where it is today??

Yes, i agree, we cannot simply rest on what we have achieved...now is the time to propel greek soccer and our national game to higher levels in years to come...no doubt about that....lets not be too negative....as the old saying goes the ball is round and its 11 v 11 out there....if every man is worth his salt (as per 2004) from the door man to the captain and they there is that magical word "team" present....impossible is nothing....I agree with all, if we reach last 8 that is a good outcome.....anything above that and greek fans globally will again be sent into hysterics....

I would like to hear from all in this forum where they plan to watch the Greece games and at what venue (home, greek community venues and which city you will be in)

Personally, I am from Adelaide Australia and already there is talk of 3-4 super venues with at least 300 people at each....should be special..... ;)

Otto is very frustrating.

He was solely responsible for us not qualifying for WC '06

I get frustrated why he doesn't call on Tavlaridis and also blood Ninis either.

i blame nikopolidis and his blunder in the ukraine cost us dearly. i agree with you on tavlaridis he should definately play

Actually for me, Greece NT is just marginally in a better position than the old team to qualify, because we have a better striking force than 4 years ago (but weakened middlefield though).

I would way rather that midfield with those strikers, then our strikers with our midfield. Our Mid is defently our weekest point on the team. In order to win games you have to control the middle. We still have a good enough midfield to win games, but if we get a few injurys, we are in trouble.

Returning players reassure Rehhagel

With less than a week until Otto Rehhagel names the 23-man Greece squad which will attempt to defend the Henri Delaunay trophy won at UEFA EURO 2004™, the German coach can take satisfaction from the timely return to fitness of a number of his key players.

Coming back

The 69-year-old coach has been harbouring fitness concerns over several members of his squad in recent months, but one by one they are nearing full fitness ahead of the Group D kick-off against Sweden in Salzburg on 10 June. Rehhagel has said previously that, should he have a fit group of players, the squad is likely to be similar to the one which was named for March's 2-1 friendly win against Portugal.

Source + full article at UEFA.com.

Guest geok

agree with Aek66

(from www.uefa.com)

Sweden squad

Goalkeepers: Andreas Isaksson (Manchester City FC), Rami Shaaban (Hammarby), Johan Wiland (IF Elfsborg).

Defenders: Mikael Dorsin (CFR 1907 Cluj), Petter Hansson (Stade Rennais FC), Daniel Majstorovic (FC Basel 1893), Olof Mellberg (Aston Villa FC), Mikael Nilsson (Panathinaikos FC), Andreas Granqvist (Wigan Athletic FC), Fredrik Stoor (Rosenborg BK).

Midfielders: Niclas Alexandersson (IFK Göteborg), Daniel Andersson (Malmö FF), Kim Källström (Olympique Lyonnais), Sebastian Larsson (Birmingham City FC), Fredrik Ljungberg (West Ham United FC), Tobias Linderoth (Galatasaray AS), Christian Wilhelmsson (RC Deportivo La Coruña), Anders Svensson (IF Elfsborg).

Forwards: Marcus Allbäck (FC København), Henrik Larsson (Helsingborgs IF), Johan Elmander (Toulouse FC), Zlatan Ibrahimović (FC Internazionale Milano), Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen).

Yes, Larsson is back: that may indicate lack of attacking options for Lagerback.

As long as we remain fit and do the preparation seriously, I am not worried (that we will lose against Sweden). I am concerned though with Sebastian Larsson, who has very good free kicks and great shot from outside the box. Nikopolidis, or Chalkias, should prepare accordingly....

About Russia: what is favourable result for our game against Russia depends on the first game: if we beat Sweden, a point may be good enough. But if we lose or draw against Sweden, a draw against Russia is a result that most likely leaves us out of second phase. So the question is whether one can see Greece having a clear advantage over Russia for the 3 points and supported by recent form of Russian teams with many of their NT players included in them, my answer is no.

Guest geok

More news: the provisional squad of Russia:

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/ne...s+first+russian

Russia squad

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (PFC CSKA Moskva), Vladimir Gabulov (FC Amkar Perm), Vyacheslav Malafeev (FC Zenit St. Petersburg).

Defenders: Aleksandr Anyukov (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Aleksei Berezutski (PFC CSKA Moskva), Vasili Berezutski (PFC CSKA Moskva), Sergei Ignashevich (PFC CSKA Moskva), Denis Kolodin (FC Dinamo Moskva), Roman Shirokov (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Renat Yanbayev (FC Lokomotiv Moskva).

Midfielders: Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (FC Lokomotiv Moskva), Dmitri Torbinskiy (FC Lokomotiv Moskva), Vladimir Bystrov (FC Spartak Moskva), Aleksandr Pavlenko (FC Spartak Moskva), Yuri Zhirkov (PFC CSKA Moskva), Konstantin Zyrianov (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Igor Semshov (FC Dinamo Moskva), Oleg Ivanov (FC Krylya Sovetov Samara), Sergei Semak (FC Rubin Kazan).

Forwards: Roman Adamov (FC Moskva), Roman Pavlyuchenko (FC Spartak Moskva), Dmitri Sychev (FC Lokomotiv Moskva), Pavel Pogrebnyak (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Andrei Arshavin (FC Zenit St. Petersburg), Ivan Saenko (1. FC Nürnberg).

Leaving Kerzakov out means there is already a lot of quality in this team. Notice that almost all players play for Russian teams too, which is perhaps a good thing for us.

Articles on Greece and Euro 2004

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?Conte...tenutoId=697605

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?Conte...tenutoId=697703

@ Aek66: Your analysis of Sweden is spot on, where we disagree though is on the outcome. I hate to say it but I can't see us beating them, unless Lybe plays. 31 is not old for a centre-back so they aren't that slow... they handled Torres and Villa pretty well in one of the games so there's no reason why they can't deal with Gekas' pace (which isn't exactly amazing) and Mellberg is a top-class defender and a true leader so he'll raise their game. Aerially they are fantastic so that should nulify our aerial threat. But with us being weak at defending set pieces I think they'll hurt us from those positions. The only chance I think we really have to cause them problems is to play a striker in the hole (behind the front man), i.e. Lybe or Samaras. Because they have a technical midfield but no great holding midfielders so a dekari will get space. When I went to watch Brazil vs Sweden at the Emirates earlier this year it was striking how much room Diego was getting. Whereas attacking down the wings may cause them problems, but they have a great central defence aerially to clear high balls in to the box, and low crosses to the edge of the box for midfielders won't do us much good in a 4-3-3 because our 3 midfielders are all defensive. Which means, we'll either have to play a 4-4-2 (that won't happen), or a 4-2-3-1 which can work but will also leave alot of space for Kallstrom, Zlatan and Linderoth which can also backfire. So all in all I can't see what sort of balance we can find to beat them.

I see either a 0-0 with us defending resolutely but offering nothing going forward. Or a comfortable 2-0 win for the Swedes.

Guest geok

Good point marangos, lets add some faith.

All games start from 0-0, so we start with 3 points in the bag.

The game against Sweden is geared towards a draw and I agree partly with Dude. I need to know the conditions of both teams before the game to access any advantages, but if either Sweden or Greece aim for a draw in this game, I don't see why they could not get it really.

Can we risk settling for a draw? This incubates the assumption that we will beat the Russians, but I don't believe that there is guarantee of that.

I think we must do what we did 4 years ago: go on to win all 3 games. I remember what Stelios and Tsiartas said 4 years ago and agree that this should be the attitude.

About the callups, I am delighted with the Ninis callup, well done Otto. I am also pleased for the callup of Papastathopoulos, Melissis, Christodoulopoulos, Makos and the recall of Lymbe. I am dissapointed by Lagos, the player could not cut it this season and in my opinion is deservingly being left out. But Avraam Papadopoulos deserves a chance in the future. Thus, overall I am really pleased with Otto's callups.

There are 27 players in total as candidates for the EURO2008 (the today's callups and the ones that are left out because of other obligations) plus potentially patsatsoglou who has been called in the past. The point then is who will not feature really. This will be decided after the two upcoming games.

In summary, I am very pleased with the callups and I am sure that we will be ready for the first game as we were 4 years ago. In that note, the second most likely result of this game in my opinion is a victory for Greece.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived