Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

Sorry, I forgot to add the link for the Spanish praises for our NT:

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article.jsp?id=127262

I agree also with OFI-mtl, Tavlaridis is in good form and should be given a chance in a friendly at least.

Another issue to note: well done to Torosidis for his excellent run during the game against Xanthi. In a similar attacking move against Portugal, he won the free kick that KARA converted. I hope that now Toro has the confidence to keep up the attacking breaks and I am sure this will pay dividents for our NT. If from the other side Giourkas does the same, we will be lethal in EURO2008.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets don't forget: Opponent news:

Berezutski causes Hiddink headache

Russia coach Guus Hiddink has expressed his concern after PFC CSKA Moskva defender Aleksei Berezutski was ruled out with the recurrence of a groin injury.

Hiddink worry

The 25-year-old is scheduled to be back in three weeks after missing Saturday's 1-0 home league defeat by FC Spartak Nalchik. Berezutski instead spent the weekend in Germany having a scan, and Hiddink is fretting about a player who appeared eleven times in qualifying for UEFA EURO 2008™. "An injury to one of our regular defenders is a problem for the national team with EURO looming," the Dutchman said. "I know Berezutski might require surgery. Now we have to find out how we can cope in his absence. I hope Aleksei will be back as soon as possible." Russia play Spain, holders Greece and Sweden in Group D in Austria and their next warm-up is against Kazakhstan on 23 May.

Opponent news: just to remember that friendlies are friendlies (we won the EURO2004 after a 4-0 loss to Netherlands)

extracted from UEFA.com website, just as the article above:

Time is on Russia's side

Dmitri Torbinskiy insists that Russia still have plenty of time to grow into a force to be reckoned with ahead of UEFA EURO 2008™, possibly even into a side capable of emulating Greece's shock success four summers ago.

Demoralising loss

Buoyed after scraping through to the finals following England's 3-2 defeat by Croatia in November, Guus Hiddink's team suffered an ignominious return to action. A morale-sapping 3-0 friendly defeat by Romania at the end of last month was hardly ideal preparation, yet Torbinskiy remains unbowed. "It was a friendly and our motivation was not as it should have been," the FC Lokomotiv Moskva man told uefa.com. "But we still have time before EURO. We have training camps and friendlies so we can spend more time together and get to know each other even better. Everything will be fine."

Off the pace

The midfielder awarded himself a "pass" for his performance in March, but hopes to be achieving top marks by June. "Hopefully I will improve a lot before the summer," said the 23-year-old. "It's only the beginning of the Russian league season and most clubs, except for [uEFA Cup contenders FC] Zenit St. Petersburg, are just getting up to speed. With time everybody will improve, and players will find their top form." Torbinskiy believes his own top form comes when he operates just behind the strikers, however he admits that when it comes to Russia he is "happy to play wherever my coach tells me".

'Give everything'

That sort of adaptability may be much appreciated by Hiddink in Austria and Switzerland, but Torbinskiy - a regular presence for Russia throughout qualifying - is not taking his spot in the squad for granted. "EURO 2008 could be my first major international tournament, but I still have to prove that I deserve to go," he continued. "I never make predictions. In 2004, nobody believed in Greece and they wound up champions. There are no favourites in our group. Spain are the strongest side, Greece are defending champions and Sweden always feature at major tournaments. Everything is in our hands, though. We have to give everything we have."

A lot of taking by the Russians but this has no value if is not verified by performance on the pitch (see Romania-Russia:3-0 (

Lets don't forget: Opponent news:

Berezutski causes Hiddink headache

Russia coach Guus Hiddink has expressed his concern after PFC CSKA Moskva defender Aleksei Berezutski was ruled out with the recurrence of a groin injury.

Hiddink worry

The 25-year-old is scheduled to be back in three weeks after missing Saturday's 1-0 home league defeat by FC Spartak Nalchik. Berezutski instead spent the weekend in Germany having a scan, and Hiddink is fretting about a player who appeared eleven times in qualifying for UEFA EURO 2008™. "An injury to one of our regular defenders is a problem for the national team with EURO looming," the Dutchman said. "I know Berezutski might require surgery. Now we have to find out how we can cope in his absence. I hope Aleksei will be back as soon as possible." Russia play Spain, holders Greece and Sweden in Group D in Austria and their next warm-up is against Kazakhstan on 23 May.

I actually want him to play. He's rubbish. very top-heavy and flat-footed. Gekas could terrorise him.

Agree with Aek66, but because we don't know the other striker it is better to wait a bit. By the way, any comments on Patsa? The memory of him committing a foul at the middle of the field and getting a yellow card (vs Portugal) worries me a lot: a good footballer needs to be clever too...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?Conte...tenutoId=660784

Aragones has made some statements about the Basques which will hopefully cause a reaction and destabalise the basque players like Fabregas, Puyol, etc.

Fabregas and Puyol are Catalans not Basque.

Gaizka Mendieta and Xabi Alonso are Basque.

Yes that's correct, but i think DUDE's point still has relevance because the Catalan's have also called for independence. Spain has always had a wonderful group of players, perhaps the lack of unity within the squad with regards to representing the country has been their major downfall in the past. If that is the case these comments can't have helped. Aragones is known for being contentious though so I'm sure it won't effect Spain too much.

Guys, this is really funny!

I read in a Swedish website called "Aftonbladet" saying that Sweden thinks they can beat Greece and Russia and that they will lose to Spain. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

These Swedes are showing there true colors. :whistle:

What's wrong with that file? We think we'll beat them too. That's football.

Yes Dude, I get your point. You see Sweden hasn't learn the lessons from EURO 2004, yet they think there better than Greece "on paper".

On one note to pass along, I really like Sweden to beat Spain and Russia and lose to Greece. :LOL:

Oh now I understand what you meant, sorry. Personally I don't think they are better than us on paper. Ibrahimovic is world class (when on form), and Mellberg is a top class defender, but apart from that they aren't that good. Isakssen isn't as good as his reputation suggests, Ljungberg has lost his pace, Rosenberg has some pace and decent movement but he isn't a finisher, Alback is still a good player but nothing spectacular... so individually I don't think Sweden are a better than us on paper.

They are a nice, compact, well-organized team though (much like we are), but considering we won Euro 2004 and broked the record for the most ever points in qualifying (31) I don't see how they are better than us on paper as a collective unit either.

I don't mind though, I like to be underestimated. No pressure on us and allows the possibility of complacency to seep into the oppositions game.

I love the fact that Greece is being underestimated. This sounds like Euro 2004 all over again and its just the way I like it. Greece will be going to Euro 2008 healthy unlike Sweden and Russia who have significant injuries

This is definitely good news for us. What I am sure is that our NT will be 100% ready for the first game (as we were 4 years ago). If we beat Sweden, then they have their next game against Spain which they have already written off and finally they clash with Russia who will have all their suspended players back!

I think if we beat the Swedes they are more likely to end up 4th actually, which leaves us against Russia to fight for 2nd place.

I think our biggest advantage comes from playing Spain at the end. If they have gone through, we will almost surely get 1 point, which should be enough if we have won at least one of our previous games. This does not sound impossible to me.

Sweden have difficulties upfront and Russia are vulnerable in defense. I am certain that Otto will explore these. We need to surprise Sweden as we did against Portugal 4 years ago, with a very forceful start in the game.

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/n...nvince+aragones

Pilgrimage promise

While his team selections may be causing consternation among some Spanish fans, Aragones is sure he has a side capable of winning the competition. "We've going to believe we can win because other teams worse than ours, like Greece or Denmark, have won this competition." The 68-year-old coach added: "If we win the EURO, I promise I will walk the pilgrim's way to Santiago [de Compostela]."

This is the same Aragones who said he would leave Spain if they didn't make the semifinals, at least, in WC 2006. Well, he's still there.

Greece and Denmark are so much worse than Spain yet those countries did not win a championship being at home like Spain did 44 years ago...which was a VERY long time ago.

Guest TheLegend

plato is also the same aragones who said he would leave even if spain qualified for the euros because "no one was on his side"

What is it with everyone bashing antzas... Just cuz you dont support antzas doesnt mean you ignore how good of a player he is....

Again, it pisses me off how aek fans say antzas sucks dellas is great when dellas is burnt like nothing all the time

antzas may be a good player but from what i saw this season and from his ethniki showings, i simply think he s not good enough to play a vital role in the ethniki defense. he simply makes toooo many mistakes that will cost at the euro.

it has nothing to do with olympiakos. dellas simply is much better. otto thinks so too. his only downside is his injury proneness. but then again antzas is injured at the moment.

Antzas or Goumas out-Papastathopoulos in!

:gr: NT news:

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article.jsp?id=127801

It seems that once more Otto takes this seriously. Let's hope we will get the same results like last time!

I like the tone of Aragones. He has already made his mind up about his team being superior. That can only act against him, putting pressure to himself and his players. I think if the Russians break the egg in their game against Spain, I can imagine Aragones taking the trip to Antartica than back to Spain. It can only be a downward spiral after that, since the opposition in subsequent games will be stronger.

As for Antzas: I have nothing personal against any player of any team and the only colours that I care about are white and blue. I live abroad and what makes me proud is my National Team succeeding. I don't care if Kokkalis, Demis or Tzigger become successful or rich, but I support each one of them when they play in Europe. As for the players, I don't care how good they are or play in their teams but what they contribute to our National Team. Everyone deserves a chance to show what he can do. We have seen Antzas well enough and although he can be good, he is indeed prone to errors that can cost dearly. I don't say he is not a good player, but based on his performances and the potential players in his position, I believe he is a bench player who could come in and contribute. I hope that he proves me wrong with his future performances and I would be more than happy if he could come in and seal us from conceeding.

I am not too fond of Dellas too. Don't take me wrong, he is good. I've watched about 100 times all the games we played in Euro 2004 and although the guy is good, he is also slow and although tall, he can't really jump high! He is also prone to injury. We can't realistically expect him to feature throughout the 6 games at EURO2008 ( :LOL: ) .We have to be fair and objective if we can expect to have any respect and consideration of our comments in this forum.

I have also express my concerns about Stelios, who I have actually met personally and I am very fond of. But I have to criticise him if he cannot add value to our NT!

Thus I agree that we need Papastathopoulos, at least on the bench, quickly and a more thorough test of A.Papadopoulos or any other young talent in the CM position for the near future (but this after EURO2008).

Also, I am not a coach but I can think that a coach should have 2 players in his squad for each position or if that is not possible, some extra players (for whom there is no equivalent) who can make the difference (take for example Tsiartas in EURO2004). So I'd like to see proposals of pairs of players that Otto can take to EURO2008 so that we can have an appropriate substitute if necessary.

Guest TheLegend

antzas may be a good player but from what i saw this season and from his ethniki showings, i simply think he s not good enough to play a vital role in the ethniki defense. he simply makes toooo many mistakes that will cost at the euro.

it has nothing to do with olympiakos. dellas simply is much better. otto thinks so too. his only downside is his injury proneness. but then again antzas is injured at the moment.

no way.. dellas is not much better.. he is not better at all... he is WAY to slow along with his old age he cant compete in top competition anymore... kyriakos dellas was fluke luck that worked... you cant combine 2 slow players to be cb.. you need someoen with speed too..

no way.. dellas is not much better.. he is not better at all... he is WAY to slow along with his old age he cant compete in top competition anymore... kyriakos dellas was fluke luck that worked... you cant combine 2 slow players to be cb.. you need someoen with speed too..
Speed is a great commodity when you know how to use it. How many times does Antzas have to cost his team big for people to realise he's not good enough?

and antzas offers speed? :LOL:

i am with DUDE 100% here. antzas is like anatolakis - a mistake waiting to happen that will cost us games and perhaps even the tournament. i would wish he was better than kiriakos but the truth is he is not better than anyone we have.

everyone doubting dellas must not have seen any superleague and/or ethniki games as of late. the guy is a GREAT player by greek standards. he is like our coach on the field and adds so much composure to the backline. otto sees it the same way. antzas would never start over dellas and rightfully so.

Guest TheLegend

No. We have seen him in ethniki thats the problem. Antzas has played way better in international competition. How a player plays against veria is not how you judge them for the EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP.

Antzas has single handidly cleaned several games up for Olympiacos. Something dellas is not capable of. Dellas can not play well if they other players arent playing well around him. He is very very slow and if you say hes fast then you dont know anything. But then again your an aek fan that wants the NT to be all aek players or at least not olympiacos players so what else is there to expect :)

and antzas offers speed? :LOL:

i am with DUDE 100% here. antzas is like anatolakis - a mistake waiting to happen that will cost us games and perhaps even the tournament. i would wish he was better than kiriakos but the truth is he is not better than anyone we have.

everyone doubting dellas must not have seen any superleague and/or ethniki games as of late. the guy is a GREAT player by greek standards. he is like our coach on the field and adds so much composure to the backline. otto sees it the same way. antzas would never start over dellas and rightfully so.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agreed 100%.

Archived