Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheLegend

Im telling you. We got the hardest possible group. There is not one "weaker" team..

Russia is reminding me of greece in 2004.... If they were to win the whole thing I cant say im surprised. Although i dont expect them too

ok guys, whats your opinion about Skoufali from panionio? every time i watch him hes very good... very good technic for a greek player! how old is he?

Guest TheLegend

As things progress I dont see us making it out of this group. I see us coming in 3rd maybe 4th with Spain first and Russia second based on 1 points or goal difference

I think you guys are overrating Russia a bit here. Yes Zenit has been impressive but the fact is, Zenit is not the Russian squad. Don't forget that Russia basically snuck into Euro because England couldn't get the job done against Croatia (yes I know they beat the English 2-1 but they still ended up losing to Israel the next game).

At the end of the day, every group is a tough group and none of the games will be gimmes. Then again, there are some differences in the calibre of the teams in each group. Would you rather be in Romania's place right now?

I think you guys are overrating Russia a bit here. Yes Zenit has been impressive but the fact is, Zenit is not the Russian squad. Don't forget that Russia basically snuck into Euro because England couldn't get the job done against Croatia (yes I know they beat the English 2-1 but they still ended up losing to Israel the next game).

At the end of the day, every group is a tough group and none of the games will be gimmes. Then again, there are some differences in the calibre of the teams in each group. Would you rather be in Romania's place right now?

Yes but the question is, would Greece have beaten England 2-1 if it was necessary?

I agree with Legend, things are looking bleak. Sweden are very organized and compact and keep possession well. Russia have bags of pace, and something like 6-7 Zenit players are in the Russian first team, and Spain are the best passing side in the world. It's going to be very tough. If we play like we did against the Turks in Konstantinoupoli we'll have a great chance. If however we are not at our very best then forget it. Needless to say we need 4 points at the very least to have any hope.

Guest TheLegend

Yea but against Isreal they played amazing. Very fun game to watch. They got jewed (ha ironic :D ) out of that game. Deserved a win a 5-0 win none the less

Greece is capable of holding their own at the upcoming Euros...we have nothing to fear..our team is of a high calibre as are the other 3 teams in our group...as long as the occassion doesnt get to them or they drop their guard, we are more than capable of of progressing........

Guest TheLegend

russia is a very dangerous team and it was the one that beat us 2-1 on 2004!

the only team that beat us. The only team that scored 2 goals on us

Greece is capable of holding their own at the upcoming Euros...we have nothing to fear..our team is of a high calibre as are the other 3 teams in our group...as long as the occassion doesnt get to them or they drop their guard, we are more than capable of of progressing........

I wish I could be as optimistic as you my friend. But the fact of the matter is this:

Kyriakos is in very bad form, Amanatidis isn't scoring (despite getting a goal yesterday), Katsouranis has been below average, Stelios hasn't played all year, Antzas has been exposed in big games (Chelsea and AEK) and so was Dellas against PAO. Torosidis' apotelesmatikotita seems to be getting worse instead of better, while Seitaridis has been branded as being "surplus to requirements" at A.Madrid because he has been offering virtually nothing. Karagounis has been average at PAO, I don't even know when Haristeas last scored, and even Gekas isn't getting goals or even playing that often. Only Basinas has put in some decent showings for Mallorca, but nothing to write home about. I'm starting to get very nervous.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you my friend. But the fact of the matter is this:

Kyriakos is in very bad form, Amanatidis isn't scoring (despite getting a goal yesterday), Katsouranis has been below average, Stelios hasn't played all year, Antzas has been exposed in big games (Chelsea and AEK) and so was Dellas against PAO. Torosidis' apotelesmatikotita seems to be getting worse instead of better, while Seitaridis has been branded as being "surplus to requirements" at A.Madrid because he has been offering virtually nothing. Karagounis has been average at PAO, I don't even know when Haristeas last scored, and even Gekas isn't getting goals or even playing that often. Only Basinas has put in some decent showings for Mallorca, but nothing to write home about. I'm starting to get very nervous.

Rehaggel has the ability to re-ignite the form of these players. The Euro 2004 boys weren't in particularly good form either. Min fovase, we'll win it again.

They will rise to the occassion lads do not worry...i agree prior to 2004 we had a number of players who were actually bench players at their respective clubs...charisteas wasnt exactly setting the dutch league on fire at the time..karagounis was used sparingly at inter and dellas was on the bench more than the pitch...i agree with Otto you cannot compare squads of different eras, this euro 2008 squad will have depth, experience and youth injection...as previously stated, if we play anything like we played versus turkey to qualify we have nothing to fear...teams will be ready for us more so than 2004, but i dont understand how any team can turn up to any tournament like the euros and underestimate any opponent, whether its germany or austria you may be facing...there are no 2nd chances...you turn up to play and fight for national pride...!!!

"ade re palikaria, den teliose o agonas, pali dikos mas tha einai...ELLAS ELLAS ELLAS!!"

Guest TheLegend

Reading that I just conceded elimination :(

EURO---Just over a month!!!!!!!!!! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :box: :box: :box:

One thing that is true about the Russians is that they are very good when no pressure is on --EURO 2004 and 10 years earlier in the WC - I just went on Wikipedia and did some research, here is their past results in major cometitions:

WC 1994 - 2 losses , then destroyed Cameroon when the were already knocked out

EURO 1996 - 2 losses, then a draw in the final match

WC 2002- easy group, beat Tunisia the last place team , then lost the last two

EURO 2004 - 2 losses then a win against a very nervous Ethniki

Even look at qualifying for this tourney, if England weren't even bigger spazzes, the Russians should have been knocked out, they couldnt get a positive result in Isreal and barely got past Andorra

so friends we should not fear our Orthodox brothers, the Sweeds should

Yes but the question is, would Greece have beaten England 2-1 if it was necessary?

I agree with Legend, things are looking bleak. Sweden are very organized and compact and keep possession well. Russia have bags of pace, and something like 6-7 Zenit players are in the Russian first team, and Spain are the best passing side in the world. It's going to be very tough. If we play like we did against the Turks in Konstantinoupoli we'll have a great chance. If however we are not at our very best then forget it. Needless to say we need 4 points at the very least to have any hope.

Well, Greece may not have beaten England 2-1 but I don't think they would have lost to Israel in a must-win situation. That aside, I'm just looking at things from a positive light. As long as the team is healthy, we should be ok. I have faith in Otto and I think he'll have the lads well prepared.

Samaras

GEORGIOS SAMARAS today told Celtic they can count on him for the title run in.

The loan-star - who scored the vital winning goal at Motherwell on Saturday - has told the Greek national team he will not be available for their Euro 2008 warm-up match against Cyprus on May 19, because he wants to stay and help Gordon Strachan's side try to clinch the SPL title at Tannadice three days later.

It's a huge gamble for the 23-year-old striker, as he is not guaranteed a place in the squad for this summer's finals, where Greece are defending their title, and would get the chance to book his place with a good display against the Cypriots.

But Samaras is so committed to the Celtic championship challenge he refuses to walk away at the climax to the campaign.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...fore_greece.php

Guest geok

Some more news for our NT:

Dellas is out against Aris. It is almost that at the end of a busy season, Dellas can not make more than 2 games in a row. I am sure he will miss at least one game at the first round of EURO2008.

Also Sam won't feature for the friendly against Cyprus. This is also bad news for us because he is part of our striking force and no team should be above the NT. So I expect that he will have the role of the sub at EURO2008. Perhaps he can come in and make a difference. The guy must understand that if he is to play for the European Champions, this must be his first priority, not some Celtic team.

Class move--I would say that Otto and he have spoken -- but still classy

Plus this kid has the best hair on the ethniki :tup:

Are you mad? We all know that Basinas has the best hair on the ethniki! :D
Id say its a toss up between Basinas and Niko :tup:

Archived