-
Posts
2,441 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
15
Everything posted by Akritis_1944
-
Yianko, Ninis has probably regained his form and deserves to be back with the Ethniki. He's not the player that was injured and awful when at PAOK. He's the best midfielder Greece has at the moment.
-
What are the specific charges against Asteras? If they're involved in match fixing then it should be proven and I'd accept the punishment. The tenuous link to some events that happened in 2011 and involve the Borovilos and Bakos aren't getting traction so not sure why UEFA should prevent them from playing in the Europe.
-
Pash, half-assed is more than what most expect of you.
-
My gut tells me Rajkovi? will be a good signing but that bleacher report is amazingly blunt at how so many clubs have got the player wrong. He's been an epic failure so far. For PAOK they are taking a gamble but there's no transfer fee. Hopefully his wages won't be astronomical and he may well come good.
- 778 replies
-
This has absolutely nothing to do with PAOK, but Frank Zappa identified as a part Greek.
-
Wow! That's awful. Can they be any worse?!
-
Yeah it's obviously intended for a USA domestic audience.
-
Forbes lost me at "Macedonia". Aek66 I think you're on the "money"! Trickledown economics and flat tax rates are what the neo-cons and free marketeers swear on the graves of Ayn Rand and Reagan as the solution to all problems. Worked great in the USA and certain central American countries, has it?
-
I can't see Tudor lasting in such an immediate results expecting environment. The pressure from the fans/owner and media will be intense. If he's allowed a season to acclimatise then he may well turn in to a great coach but what happens when things aren't going well? He's sent packing? First thing is he was 1 month to prepare for the Europa matches. Logically I think PAOK will get through the first hurdle without much stress and with the current squad. The challenges are in the next rounds to get to the group stage and then managing these fixtures with the League. Iraklis' promotion will provide the first derby in 2 seasons so there will be some angst there. Good luck to him though.
-
A decision had to be made. Obviously in haste as the Europa qualifiers start in weeks. As least for Europe. Good luck to Tudor. He's not very experienced as a manager but he was well regarded as a player. He speaks fluent Italian and I noticed he was giving interviews on the Paok site in Italian.
- 778 replies
-
J1078 well right now that's probably right but we have time. 2018 qualifiers don't start until late 2016.
-
From what I have seen of Kourbelis from his u19 NT stint and especially for Asteras he reminds me of a young Katsouranis. He's relatively tall and is comfortable in either central defense or defensive midfield. Obviously he shouldn't ever play as a defender if he was selected for the Ethniki but he's versatile enough to play there. He's composed on the ball. He doesn't posses amazing skill but he's fit and he reads the game well. Unlike Katsouranis in his prime, he doesn't get many goals though. His strengths are more defensive and breaking up the oppositions play in the midfield. This coming season will show where he's at. He'll need to be consistent in the league and Europa. If he does well then I don't see why he shouldn't be in consideration for the Ethniki. Like a few others mentioned he probably should have been considered for these matches.
-
1789, I value your thoughtful posts. Very analytical. I agree or can accept your perspective. One thing I will add though, I believe that Mandalos is already at the level of his competition for the Attacking Midfield spot. The guy makes other players better. It's what we have been missing.
-
So Katsouranis was quoted as saying "
-
Manolas and Samaris are half the players we expect of them. Both have been awful. If they can start performing to the level that they do for their clubs, then the Ethniki will be instantly at a better level.
-
O allos tha mas swsei!
-
I like your enthusiasm but the dream is dead re. Let's concentrate on the 2018 qualifiers.
-
True. It was a wet night too which would have turned the fickle fans away as well.
-
I would laugh at the Topalidis suggestion but I'm afraid some people don't realise that Topalidis was essentially Otto's translator. He's football management career is essentially non-existent aside from the time he spent with the Ethniki so he should never be brought up.
-
Yes it is and it annoys me too. However we don't know the context that this photo was taken. He may have been mocking the symbol. Look at the goofy look on his face. His days for the Ethniki are probably over. He's out of form and hasn't done much for his club either. Best he fades away.
-
I saw highlights of Venezuela v Colombia and Ronald Vargas played a big part on Venezuela's win. If he remains injury free he looks like he'll be very valuable in the GSL.
-
At this moment our results are garbage. Real issues with coaching structures, players etc but things can change relatively quickly. This isn't months, but years in the making. I agree we have to take a long term view of things and if that means sacrificing the couple of qualification campaigns then I'm fine with that. we went from an average team in 2002 WC qualifying to topping Euro 2004. I don't really care for these stronger nations. When we draw them in future qualification. Croatia, Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, Denmark, Wales, Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia, Bosnia and 20 other nations aren't our better. I'd even think England and Holland aren't the team everyone thinks they are. Regardless, dropping in the rankings and drawing stronger opposition is not the problem we need to address. We need to have a serious internal review and stop papering over massive chasms with temporary solutions.
-
Qualifying for the 2018 World Cup should be our goal. That obviously depends on the right decisions based on coaching and squad selections. If we continue in this current zombie walk then Euro 2020 is the next realistic qualification goal.
-
Faroe Islands-Greece(13 June 2015, Torsvollur, Torshavn)
Akritis_1944 replied to Omonoia9's topic in Greek National Teams
You think that the utter humiliation would do something to the pride of these players. Make them reevaluate their performances and at a minimum motivate them, I bet you they start getting all defensive the way Karagounis used to petulantly and sarcastically front the media. These guys have to realise that they've done nothing for a year and the public, fans and those that want the best for the Ethniki deserve answers. They need to roll up their sleaves against Poland or just retire. The campaign is over. They are playing for redemption now. Show it against Poland or do honourable thing and quit. -
The guy plays with heart.