Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece-Iceland(29 March 2016, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Tachtsidis is a nothing player. Good vision, little else. If we are persisting with 3-5-2 it should be a midfield 3 of Petsos - Mantalos -Samaris. I like the idea of Fortounis playing withdrawn behind a target man.

Edited by George
  • Like it 1

So ... overall impressions?

How can we be so horrible at set piece defending? That's clearly a tactical/practice issue.  

Moras is a solid player and he has a great story, but time to retire from the NT. 

Siovas sucks. 

Klapino is a tragedy ... Let's hope Karnezis has 4 more years left in him so we can find a young player to groom for the position ... 

Defensively we sucked no doubt , however stafylidis , moras , oikonomou , tzavellas , siovas. none of these defenders are starters/soon to be starters. Kapino was terrible too,not a starter either. Positive is the fact that we ve managed to score 4 times in 2 matches. we re starting to make  decent offence.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

I guess I'll take the win over Montenegro, because any time this team wins it's a minor miracle anymore. There was a time not so long ago you'd bet your life on this team to close out ANY 2-0 lead, opponent regardless.

• Like it 1

Congrats on embarrassing themselves once again. 

I don't think they realize how important it is to put together a string of wins at this point in time, after the worst qualifying campaign in the team's history.

What are they doing sending back all their CBs, their best midfielder and top in-form striker? Their top 3 CBs were missing today, which is a joke. 

On top of everything, we kept subbing everyone with even more inexperienced players, in an untried formation. 

Again, it was important to string wins and get back to a workable psychological level. Instead, they humiliated themselves.  

• Like it 1

Moral of the story without Karelis & Fortounis we look sterile.

If Manolas & Sokratis were playing they probably would've got only 1 goal, add kpaps and we might've shut them out.

We are a very top heavy team. Petsos looks great out there too.

Karelis   Mitroglou

Mantalos                  Fortounis

Kpaps Samaris

Holebas Sokratis  Manolas Torosidis

Karnezis

I like Kpaps in midfield a free flowing CB. The 2-3 games we've let him do that, our opponents rarely scored.

I really wished we played for the win though. Eg) playing Karnezis, not subbing Fortounis/karelis out, only Velios not Patsa or Diamantakos. We might've got it with that.

• Like it 3

Let's at least keep in mind this is the Iceland team that kept Netherlands out of the Euros. 

Still, you can never lose a 2-0 lead. Never. That was the worst second half I've seen since ... well since every half Ranieri managed.

I know Skibbe was tinkering with lineups, but why the f--k do you leave guys like Kone and Lazaros on the bench and put a small LB in at CM? I don't care about their club playing time, they are good players who are natural midfielders. 

• Like it 2

I like Kpaps in midfield a free flowing CB. The 2-3 games we've let him do that, our opponents rarely scored.

Where are you getting that from? Kpaps has played, what, three times for the ethniki in the past three years? He's constantly injured, can't keep a run of more than two games together, and has neither the temperament or skillset to be a DM. Rarely scored is a very relative term - I don't recall the team playing particularly well in any of his games. He is not the solution to our problems.

• Like it 1

@Reaper - I couldn't disagree more ... First, Lazaros in the Euro qualifiers was the only dude that showed anything, played end to end and generally tried to create. Also, we were forcing those guys out wide when Kone and Lazaros both need space to be any good. 

I also have to admit, I was down on Petsos as a selection, but he's not a bad player. 

I would LOVE to listen to Skibbe talk to the SL managers tomorrow morning. Wonder how that will go ...

Edited by teke817

Aside from siovas being subbed off for Tzavellas, I didn't like the substitutions. Fine, siovas was carrying a knock/injury.

But why sub off fortounis, torosidis, and karelis? Those three were literally our best players.

Stafylidis played pretty well in the first half, but he was visibly tired in the 2nd. Tziolis got worse as the game went on. These 2 players should have been subbed off instead.

Also, papazoglou looked out of his element. ..he doesn't belong in the squad. He only has like 6-7 goals in the Belgian league. Athanasiadis and bakasetas are both better.

• Like it 1

At the end of the day this goes back to what have said numerous times, if we can't shut it down defensively and play as a defensive minded team we will NOT win against anyone good or bad. Our defense has gon to s%$#!. Every team scores on us. FI scored 3 goals In two games, Hungary scored 3 goals in two games, NI scored 3 or 4 goals In two games against us. We are s%$#! defensively and that's why we will continue to struggle unless we play boring defensive Soccer. I was hoping this was just a bad EQ campaign and things would change but it won't, not anytime soon. This clearly shows its our lack of talent and NOT the 3 coaches we went through. Can you imagine what Belgium or even Bosnia will do to us when we can't even beat Liechtenstein or the FI? No confidence in this team anymore.

The only way to solve our defensive problem is to have 4 CB's and 4DM's!

I am also glad I didn't watch. Australia is looking very strong. Annihilated Jordan with ease. So much passion and drive. We will get smashed!! Rogic has crazy skill. Reminds me of Zidane. He has transformed the team.

I am tired of hearing that we should play to our strengths. NO point in having a solid defensive game if we don't put on players that can counter attack. Since when have we ever been successful with 3 CB's and now 2 DM's?? Soccer is so basic. Why are we always complicating things?

We also have to remember that we played with a completely different back 3 + goalie.  This was probably the first (and last) time they have played together. He was trying to guys who are for the most part unknowns. He couldn't keep all the starters out but we can all agree that 8 of the starting 11 will not be starting come September.

• Like it 1