Phantis Forums

Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to read your posts about Kyrgiakos, Euro, so I can stay a bit up to date! I hope he keeps up the form and makes us all proud!

:)

How often do we get a Greek at one of the world's elite clubs? It's something to be really excited about. Giannakopoulos was close to Liverpool but Alladyce wouldn't let him go, and Georgatos played for Inter for a couple of years but we aren't exactly blessed with a history of players at the world's top clubs.

Kyrgiakos has always been one of my favourite players. His unrivalled passion, power and neanderthal brutalness in the air are wonderful attributes. However, despite this renegade facet of his style he showed what a genuinely considerate player he is when he signed for Liverpool. In an interview he was asked what he hoped to achieve and he said all the usual "i want to establish myself in the first team", "I want to win trophies", etc, but he also added something along the lines of "I want to prove that Greek players can play at the highest level and for the best teams".

I actually find that quite touching. He isn't there just to represent himself. He's representing Greece and Greek football! :gr:

So don't worry, as long as there are updates about him I'll be bringing them here :P

:gr:

and Georgatos played for Inter for a couple of years but we aren't exactly blessed with a history of players at the world's top clubs.

How about Karagounis at Inter? But yeah you have a point.

It's nice to see how he feels about that, and that he understands that our players, our Greek players, are often being underestimated, even in our own country.

How about Karagounis at Inter? But yeah you have a point.

It's nice to see how he feels about that, and that he understands that our players, our Greek players, are often being underestimated, even in our own country.

Oh yeah and Karagounis. It's not often that it happens though and Karagounis wasn't a starter, so it would be brilliant to see Kyrgiakos establish himself as a starter

Played 90 mins in Liverpool's 0-0 draw away at Wolves tonight. From what I read, it was a disappointing performance for the Reds. But from Kyrgiakos' perspective, it was a 2nd clean sheet in a row and goal.com gave him a 7, rating him as Liverpool's highest rated player. :tup: His performance was described:

Aerially very good as ever, and looked a lot more assured than his central defensive partner Skrtel.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2569/premie...n-wanderers-0-0

Liverpool's legendary striker, Ian Rush wrote the following article for the Liverpool Echo.

IAN RUSH: Sotirios Kyrgiakos finally stepping out of Liverpool FC legend Sami Hyppia’s shadow

Jan 26 2010 Liverpool Echo

XABI ALONSO was the biggest departure from Anfield last season but Sami Hyppia’s move to Bayer Leverkusen was also a huge blow.

However, it could be that, at long last, Sotirios Kyrgiakos is ready to fill the void left by the Big Finn.

I’m not for one moment comparing the two, as Sami was rightly thought of as a Liverpool legend.

But Kyrgiakos has shown in his last two performances that he has similar qualities and is right man to fill the role Sami would have occupied this year.

You won’t have many bigger aerial tests as a defender than against Stoke and Peter Crouch but Kyrgiakos passed both with flying colours.

The jury had been out on him but he is starting to get to grips with the Premier League and is well capable of playing his part for the rest of the year.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-f...00252-25683506/

good to see he's improving, although to be fair he's always been good in the air and unlike basinas he's able to cope with the physical nature of this league(infact he looks as though he loves the physical battles), with more games and experience at this level he'll improve his touch and hopefully become a little less rash.

hopefully agger and johnson are out for a while so he can get some more matches under his belt

good to see he's improving, although to be fair he's always been good in the air and unlike basinas he's able to cope with the physical nature of this league(infact he looks as though he loves the physical battles), with more games and experience at this level he'll improve his touch and hopefully become a little less rash.

hopefully agger and johnson are out for a while so he can get some more matches under his belt

All players need to improve aspects of their game and i'd love to see him improve in all aspects of his game. However if he continues like this he'll prove that he's good enough to play for Liverpool and compete at this level on a consistent basis. Agger, Carragher and Skrtel have all be poor this season (although Carragher has been solid at right back), so Kyrgiakos is giving Benitez a real headache. What does he do when Johnson is back? Agger coming back isn't really an issue for me because he hasn't performed so if Rafa goes with form he'll pick Soti. But Johnson will command a place in that line up and Carragher will def play. Carragher and Kyrgiakos don't seem to communicate that well so it will be interesting to see what happens. I have a feeling he'll be dropped, but it's tough to drop a player in great form.

Alos, the Liverpool fans voted Kyrgiakos their man of the match against Wolves too on the club's official website :tup:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news...r-motm-v-wolves

There's also a hilarious comment made by a Greek PAOK fan on the bottom of that article. He's basically tried to translate Greek into English directly, Dinos-PAOK says (I've underlined the bits that made me laugh) :

"Very happy for you Sotiris. Keep going and Y.N.W.A. Also very sad for the appearence and result. I prefered a striker to be MOTM with an opponent like Wanderers. You make all us Greeks feel proud of you. Tell everybody pls, that the correct writing of your name is [Kiryiakos] and NOT Kyrgiakos !!! Bravo Sotiris. All the team try hard, the shirt you wear is very - very heavy !!! " :LOL: :gr:

Steven Gerrard has also paid Kyrgiakos an indirect compliment (and the rest of the defence of course) by stating: "If we keep battling and keep defending as we have been then results will follow". Liverpool have conceded 1 goal in the last 3 games and Kyrgiakos has played in all. :tup:

Rafa Benitez Expects Steven Gerrard To 'Make The Difference' For Liverpool

Talisman working hard to reach full fitness.

...Benitez also believes experienced Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos will have a vital role to play in the rest of the Reds' campaign.

"Everyone here knows that he is a good professional, a really good lad, and his team-mates can see that he is someone who will do anything for them," the Spaniard added.

"Even when he doesn't play, you know he will work very hard. Soto knew when he came here that he was only going to play specific games but he wanted to improve and when he has come in, he has done the job that we have needed him to do.

"He is good in the air and he is tough. You have to remember Sami [Hyypia] was amazing for us. At the end, he was not playing too many games but he was just as important because of his personality and the role he had within the squad.

"On the pitch, he wasn't getting too much time because of Martin [skrtel], Daniel [Agger] and Carra. When he left and we replaced him with Soto, he knew exactly what kind of situation he was coming in to. He's doing really well.

"Sami was terrific on the ball, he could use both feet and pass really well. He also knew the Premier League inside out. But Soto has his own qualities; he has had to adapt but he is learning now and he is doing the job we were looking for."

http://www.rs.goal.com/en-us/news/85/engla...-the-difference

I'm afraid that this is bad news for Soti. Despite his great showing it suggests that Benitez will always see him as a reserve defender. It's a shame because although people believe he's limited to aerial battles he's proved that this simply isn't the case. Stoke are aerial and he dominated Crouch but was also very solid against Defoe (both for Liverpool and Greece). Wolves are also not an aerial team and he was great against them too. Furthermore Arsenal definitely aren't an aerial team and although Kyrgiakos didn't face Arshavin or RVP in their Carling Cup match he was solid against the pace and movement and movement of Eduardo and Bentdner.

Kyrgiakos played 90 mins today and it was yet another impressive performance and clean sheet for Liverpool as they beat Bolton 2-0 at home. He's played the last 4 games now and Liverpool have kept 3 clean sheets conceding just 1 goal in the Stoke game that Kyrgiakos scored in too :tup:

Goal.com gave Kyrgiakos a 7 today and described his performance:

Cleared off the line from Lee in the first half, and is becoming a real leader at the back. Headed everything that came his way and looked assured once more

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2667/player...olton-wanderers

While the Liverpool fans themselves seem to be saying he was man of the match once more on their forums. Apparently the clearance off the line was superb and as valuable as a goal. It really is fantastic to see him doing so well. :gr:

Kyrgiakos played 90 mins today and it was yet another impressive performance and clean sheet for Liverpool as they beat Bolton 2-0 at home. He's played the last 4 games now and Liverpool have kept 3 clean sheets conceding just 1 goal in the Stoke game that Kyrgiakos scored in too :tup:

Goal.com gave Kyrgiakos a 7 today and described his performance:

Cleared off the line from Lee in the first half, and is becoming a real leader at the back. Headed everything that came his way and looked assured once more

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2667/player...olton-wanderers

While the Liverpool fans themselves seem to be saying he was man of the match once more on their forums. Apparently the clearance off the line was superb and as valuable as a goal. It really is fantastic to see him doing so well. :gr:

For the record Kyrgiakos was given a 7.5, not a 7. Sorry, typo

RB: Soto attitude catching

rafa Benitez claims the positive attitude of bargain buy Sotirios Kyrgiakos is proving 'contagious' around Melwood.

The Greek international has been one of our star performers since Christmas as the Reds have gone six Premier League games unbeaten.

And Kyrgiakos had Kevin Davies in his pocket during Saturday's 2-0 victory over Bolton - prompting praise from the gaffer.

What has Sotirios brought? Headers," said Benitez, whose side have now kept five clean sheets in their last six league games.

"He is strong and he likes the challenge. It is something that we needed and right now he is doing well. His attitude has been contagious.

"Kevin Davies is very strong and it is not easy to stop him in the air, so Sotirios did really well. He lost one tooth in the game and that shows how hard it can be."

:tup:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news...titude-catching

"Kevin Davies is very strong and it is not easy to stop him in the air, so Sotirios did really well. He lost one tooth in the game and that shows how hard it can be."

Is that an expression I've never heard of or did Kyrgiakos really lose one of his teeth during the game? :huh:

Anyway great to hear he's performing well! :)

yea i saw that too, would have been excellent if the move went through, 2 greeks at a top club. toro's game would have moved up a level

I'm glad it didn't happen. With Johnson's return Torosidis' would have either been dropped or moved to left-back which isn't his natural position. With Bayern also in the hunt it's better he goes there in the summer imo.

Back to Kyrgiakos, he was the Liverpool fans' man of the match again, this time against Bolton! :tup:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news...motm-v-bolton-1

I saw the tackle and although Kyrgiakos went in harshly his studs were facing downwards, but Fellaini went over the ball and stamped on Kyrgiakos. The fairest possible result would have been a yellow card to Kyrgiakos and a red to Fellaini.

The former Arsenal defender and BBC pundit Lee Dixon agreed on Match of the Day. Very harsh. Apparently Kyrgiakos was solid once more before that moment. Now he'll face a 3 match ban I'm sure Agger will get his place and hold on to it. Such bad luck

3 match ban?! From who, coach Benitez or the EPL? Not fair at all!

I agree, the Belgian afro was also guilty of foul play, I was hearing the same thing from the game time commentators. They claimed that both players should have been carded.

Whatever, Liverpool still came out on top with a man down from the 35th. :tup:

3 match ban?! From who, coach Benitez or the EPL? Not fair at all!

I agree, the Belgian afro was also guilty of foul play, I was hearing the same thing from the game time commentators. They claimed that both players should have been carded.

Whatever, Liverpool still came out on top with a man down from the 35th. :tup:

The English FA (EPL) hand out a mandatory 3 match ban for a straight red card. Liverpool can appeal but if they lost the appeal the ban can be extended by an extra game

• 2 weeks later...

http://goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/...l-fans-sing-his

Sotirios Kyrgiakos proud to hear Liverpool fans sing his name

Greek defender enjoys acclaim of Kop...

Liverpool centre-back Sotirios Kyrgiakos is pleased that his performances this season have drawn praise from Reds supporters at Anfield.

Kopites have shown their appreciation of the Greek international by singing a song dedicated to him.

Its lyrics, sung to the tune of 'Oh Campione', read: "We thought his days were numbered, now he plays here every week. We can't pronounce his surname so we call him Nick the Greek. Oooh Kyrgiakos."

The player is touched to hear the fans' personal support and feels it is something of a highlight of his career.

"I am extremely happy when I hear that fans of such a big team are singing my name," Kyrgiakos told LFC Weekly magazine.

"It's hard to describe my feelings at that moment. It's very encouraging for any footballer and one of the best things you can experience."

In an interview where he answered the questions that Liverpool fans sent in, Kyrgiakos said Benitez is the best manager he's ever played for (that's a bit harsh on Otto no? ) and when the Liverpool fans asked if they are the best fans he's ever seen and how he feels when they sing YNWA he answered

"I enjoy playing in front of the Liverpool supporters. They respect me and they know I always try my best for them and the team. I want to give 100 per cent in every game and help this team. It's unbelievable when we hear our crowd singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' but it's impossible to express your feelings and say just how good a feeling that gives you."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news...afa-is-the-best

HAHAHA notice how he avoids the question of 'are the Liverpool fans the best in the world'? Liverpool fans crack me up, they're so deluded

:LOL:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

played a full and very solid 90 minutes in liverpool 3-0 victory over west ham

And he had another excellent game in a Liverpool shirt, keeping Cartlon Cole quiet the entire night. He should have scored, missing a big headed chance from 8 yards but he did force Liverpool's 3rd goal, having an effort come off the post, hitting the West Ham keeping and going in. He could also have had a couple of assists with excellent flick downs to Agger inside the box with the later firing over the bar. West Ham were pretty inept going forward but you can only beat what's in front of you and Kyrgiakos was solid, winning everything in the air once again and looking comfortable on the deck too.

Goal.com gave him an 8 (the joint highest on the pitch with Gerrard, Benayoun and Maxi) and commented: Missed a very good headed chance in the first half, but defensively was very solid again and made amends with his involvement for the third goal.

He has proved he's good enough for Liverpool and to be perfectly honest, he's been one of the season's best buys in the Premiership.

• Argy changed the title to Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)
  • Nikitas locked this topic

Archived