Phantis Forums

Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kyrgiakos struggled last night in liverpools 1-0 uefa cup loss to atletico madrid...i watched the match and the team didnt play well as a whole but soto had trouble with atleticos speed and movement...

Yeah he had his worst game in a Liverpool shirt so far. It's a shame because these are the games that people will notice. Perhaps the 15 hour drive had something to do with it because all away teams in Europe looked lethargic this week. It's not an excuse though, he was poor. Let's hope he follows it up with a strong performance

• 3 weeks later...

They were discussing possible Liverpool player of the year on the official message boards and the over-whelming choice seems to be Reina. Apart from Reina people seem to be picking either Mascherano or Kyrgiakos. :tup:

Personally i think that's ridiculous because he's only really played for half a season but it shows that he's popular

• 2 months later...

Kyrgiakos played in Liverpool's 2-0 away win in Skopje tonight. Here's what goal.com had to say:

rating 6 - Jeered throughout by the Macedonian crowd due to the political tensions with Greece. Seemed to revel in the animosity and was typically no-nonsense in his approach

• 2 weeks later...

it just doesn't make sense Crazy. It's obviously not to focus on his club football, if it was he wouldn't have disrupted his pre-season preparations by playing in the friendly against Serbia. There has been no hint of this coming and so i assume Santos doesn't have him in his plans

I read in a british paper today that Kyrgiakos was going out on loan this year. Does anyone know anything this.

Maybe this is what has prompted him to reconsider his priorities,

Well according to the Greek newspapers AEK are interested in both Moras and Kyrgiakos as a replacement for Maistorovic. However Kyrgiakos isn't keen on moving back to Greece yet and wants to stay in England. For Liverpool's match against Arsenal Kelly was on the bench and Kyrgiakos wasn't which does reinforce the rumour that he will leave. Last season Blackburn were reportedly interested so I wouldn't be surprised to see him move there. Based on his aerial style i would imagine he could move to Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke (although they already have a strong central-defensive partnership in Faye and Shawcross), Birmingham (but they already have a good defensive unit), or one of the newly promoted teams.

I think we can safely rule out Wolves because their manager Mick McCarthy spent the entire World Cup undermining every Greek player on show. If i had to guess i'd say Kyrgiakos is a typical Alladyce signing and with Blackburn reportedly showing interest last year i wouldn't be surprised to see him go there.

Kyrgiakos played 90 mins in Liverpool's 1-0 win over Trabzonspor and he was superb. Most certainly the man of the match.

Goal.com described his performance: "Dominant in the air and protected his six-yard box like a Spartan."

He was great and could have had a couple of goals.

I saw the game and I agree with you he was one of the best players on the pitch and was certainly the best defender. He won every header and even proved a threat in attack.

I was really annoyed when I looked at the Sun newspapers player ratings the next day when he was given 5 the lowest of all the liverpool players. Carragher was given a 7.

A blind monkey could see that he was one of the most effective players on the pitch.

The British sporting press is the most ridiculous, clueless press around. It's frustrating but take comfort in the fact that if his name wasn't Sotiris Kyrgiakos and he was from Trikala and instead was Stewart Keegan from Merseyside they'd all be raving about him

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kyrgiakos started in Liverpool's game against Blackpool today. So far, 68 mins gone, Blackpool lead 1-2 at Anfield. Not sure how he's playing but he has been booked but also scored Liverpool's goal. I'll update further when the "player ratings" in the British press become available

Kyrgiakos started in Liverpool's game against Blackpool today. So far, 68 mins gone, Blackpool lead 1-2 at Anfield. Not sure how he's playing but he has been booked but also scored Liverpool's goal. I'll update further when the "player ratings" in the British press become available

Well it finished Liverpool 1-2 Blackpool. Kyrgiakos scored and here's what goal.com had to say.

Kyrgiakos - 6/10 (joint highest rating for a Liverpool defender) - Won a flick on from a corner midway through the first half, but Cole failed to convert at the far post. Powered a header past Gilks after a great delivery from Gerrard, managing to leap above two defenders in the process. Almost scored another in the last minute with a close range effort.

However, Skysports only gave him a 5 and commented "looked shakey at the back". I don't know which to pay more attention too, but Sky have never given the dude a good rating. Neither has The Sun. Even when he won liverpool's January player of the month he was only getting 5s. So if anyone saw the game please update us further

euro, the brits are notorious greek haters...they always say negative things about greek players and teams, they are probably just pissed off that they have not won any national team tournamnets since '66 and we have the same number of trophies under our belts :D :gr: :gr:

• 2 weeks later...

started and played all game in liverpools 2-0 loss with rivals everton...they continue the plunge as they are tied in last place

did anyone watch this game? id like to know how he did specifically?

Yes, I saw the match live in a pub in London.

Kyrgiakos was defintely not a standout performer, but he wasn't the worst player in a Liverpool shirt.

I was surprised that he played the full match, but Liverpool have Agger out and to be honest, Kyrgiakos is not a big name.

Personally I think he played better than his center back partner Skrtel and was better than Carragher.

He was responsible for heading the ball out to Arteta who fired it back into the net for the 2nd goal.

Some might argue that his clearance should have been better, and I feel as he got his head to the ball he should have got it away from the goal rather than back out, but the other Liverpool player's could have cleared the ball and made life difficult for Arteta which they didn't so they are equally responsible.

Now I know Liverpool is going through their worst start in over 50 years but Kyrgiakos is NOT the problem.

When you have a player like Torres who can't buy a goal and a midfield who is static and not creating chances it is easy to blame the "Greek at the back".

Kyrgiakos won many balls in the air and kept Yakubu quiet. In fact Yakubu seemed to bring him down for the first goal but that didn't seem to impact the goal.

I believe his days at liverpool are numbered. The new owners will probably bring in big name signings in January and that includes in defence. Kyrgiakos is not "high profile" enough I'm afraid but I believe he is certainly good enough.

• Argy changed the title to Sotirios Kyrgiakos (retired)
  • Nikitas locked this topic

Archived