Phantis Forums

Ninis on the national team?

plato-ny

[]Albanians' dislike for Ninis and Greeks. Ninis was raised in Greece and developed his skill in Greece, not in Albania[/url]

Don't waste your time #############. The highlight of their nations history was beating us 2-1. #########!!

---

Hey DUDE! Seems you missed me heh!?

Comeon man ... we Greeks have 100000000000 ways to answer to anyone trying to insult us and ALL of those ways can begin and end without using a single drop of aggression!

Do not fall into the trap...

Post Edited ... please lower your tone a bit ...

Sorry :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I'm not sure if one can rely on Wikipedia for information because anyone can edit it. But, I believe that his parents are Albanian immigrants and that his birth name was actually Sotir Nini. His parents moved to Athens and became citizens and Sotir Nini became Sotirios Ninis and became a Greek.

I've read that his katogogi is Greek, but his parents were born in Albania. Hence, he's Greek.

If we are debating about one 17 year old boy what countries like France-Germany-Holland should do?Have you ever met a black blond german.....I dont think so...but they had one playing in there national team not long ago.Zidan was originally from Algeria but played for France.Boys you looked at the tree and missed the forest or what is left of it now in greece.Castillio for god sakes could choose from 3 countries.For me as long as you have the specific and right requirements play in the country of your chosing.

Sotiris Ninis was born in the Albanian town of Himara (a region that belonged to Greece until 1944). After the fall of communism in 1991, his parents, along with thousands of others were able to return to their homeland in Greece. Sotiris and his family first moved to Zakynthos but after a few years they finally settled in the capital, amidst the restless and cosmopolitan life of Athens. There, Sotiris grew up happily and without any worries, concerned only with football. In the Apollon Smyrnis academy (a humble team from the suburbs), he was the star attraction of every practice because of his phenomenal talents from the very beginning; he soon attracted the attention of Panathinaikos scouts, who snapped him up after watching him for several months. In 2003 he was accepted into the younger categories of PAO (an abbreviation for Panathinaikos) and from that moment on his talent progressed at lightning speed with each passing season. His big opportunity was only a matter of time.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

he has a greek name his football education is also credited to greece since he is a product of the panathinaikos youth team, how can you expect him to play for albania

His true name is Sotir NINI and nor SOTIRis NINis.. like hte true name of Pangallos KOne is GJergji KONE.. camone greeks bee realistic and stope bullshiting.... My uncle live in Athenes and his true name is Gramoz but he hase change his true name in Jorgo...

That tell all about the greek democracy and the greek mentality....

Both Sotir Nini and Gjergji kone are albanians..

And dont tell me that the people of himara are greeks.. in himara there are only thre greek villages.. all the rest is albanian.. I am from Vuno an Himariot village and i am albanian but i have greek parents too.. so my uncle is married with a greek..... Im an albanian orthodox my father name is Pilo, my mother name is Athina my brother name is Anastas.. but we all calle him Ani...

So Nini is an albanian and he is playng for grece... i think this is very intersting for frendship relation betwin ours country...

Sotiris Ninis was born in the Albanian town of Himara (a region that belonged to Greece until 1944). After the fall of communism in 1991, his parents, along with thousands of others were able to return to their homeland in Greece. Sotiris and his family first moved to Zakynthos but after a few years they finally settled in the capital, amidst the restless and cosmopolitan life of Athens. There, Sotiris grew up happily and without any worries, concerned only with football. In the Apollon Smyrnis academy (a humble team from the suburbs), he was the star attraction of every practice because of his phenomenal talents from the very beginning; he soon attracted the attention of Panathinaikos scouts, who snapped him up after watching him for several months. In 2003 he was accepted into the younger categories of PAO (an abbreviation for Panathinaikos) and from that moment on his talent progressed at lightning speed with each passing season. His big opportunity was only a matter of time.

Sotiris Ninis was born in the Albanian town of Himara (a region that belonged to Greece until 1944).

Are you serious... only an ignorant can say this thing... Why dont you a look at the reality...

You are an fondamentalist...

So himara belonge to Greece.. where have you listen this bullshit...

Naw im from Himara Vuno and i assure evryone that this is a bullshit... in Himara is true there is a greek minority and the majority of them are turned back in greece.. they are aroune a 4-5 thousend persons....

I repeat to you i have nothing toword greeks... greeks halpe us.. my father have a greek passaport.... my family keep a susid about 400 handrit evros from the greek governe.... ecetera...

But ples stop bullshiting... the people of HImara are all orthodox Albanian.. the greeks have come from Corfu in 1700- 1800 and today they are majority tuned back in greece ...

^ Well I must say then, then that Albanians have a very good sense of fashion. Have you seen the shirt that Ninis CHOOSES to wear on international game days?

Posted Image

I have the same nice looking shirt.

Is this the new style, do all Albanians wear this shirt on the days that Greece plays their games? :D

^ Well I must say then, then that Albanians have a very good sense of fashion.  Have you seen the shirt that Ninis CHOOSES to wear on international game days?

Posted Image

I have the same nice looking shirt. 

Is this the new style, do all Albanians wear this shirt on the days that Greece plays their games?    :D

:gr: I like this shirt too... :D ..And if i wos a talent like Nini probabily i will dress it too.. 1)becouse the greek team offer more chance.. 2)becouse pay more... and 3)becouse after albanian team im a fan of greek team...

so.. :tup: ...

2 things quickly.

You come "Vuno" and you think it has little to do with any Greek history? Do you know how your town got it's name?

Secondly, Kone of Iraklis may well identify with being Albanian, but Sotiris Ninis does not. Since when is his name anything other than Greek?

:huh:

I dont understand why you are so polemic...??!!

You come "Vuno" and you think it has little to do with any Greek history

I dont undersatnd this..? Hawever a lot of Arvanitas have come from Vuno and Himara into Greece... (before that the greeks come from Korfu in to Himara...) they wrere wariors..

Do you know how your town got it's name?

Vuno is a village near himara is not a town... Hawever in albania we have Greek and Slave influence.. So Pogradec, shushuica, Corovoda.. even Konica in north of Janina Epirus is a slave name...

But firste you told me what Vuno means.. why dont you tell me what Athena means, what Greece means..??

Since when is his name anything other than Greek?

First of all you shuld look at his surname not name... Hawever in Albania there is full of people tha are colled Perikli.. Sotir.. Anastas... My mother name is Athina and she is an albanian... So...

Let's talk about sport....

His true name is Sotir NINI and nor SOTIRis NINis.. like hte true name of Pangallos KOne is GJergji KONE.. camone greeks bee realistic and stope bullshiting.... My uncle live in Athenes and his true name is Gramoz but he hase change his true name in Jorgo...

His name is Sotiris Ninis.

He has Facebook, and thats his elected name. On PAO, before he had a Greek passport - he PICKED his name to be SOTIRIS NINIS on his jersey.

The kid is a Greek man, and Himariots in Greece tend to identify more with Greece, becuase they have more in common with it thatn the Muslim/Fanaticist Albania and the other Albanians that are in Greece...The kid also only knows Greece....he speaks Greek his first language, his friends are Greeks...hes not an Albanian. I know a crazy guy from Kosovo who is 6ft tall and loves the idea of Albania and Greater Albania. To me - THAT is an Albanian. Not the little Greek kid who has Orthodox family in a heavily Greek influenced area for thousands of years with an Italianized last name and MAYBE had Albanian speaking family...Of Himariots I know, their language at home is Greek, and they know Sotiris. I dont think Sotiris is playing for Greece for the money. This is his home and homeland....

As for name changes, theyre a good thing. If you are going to be a Greek citizen, you are declaring yourself Greek. A Greek, has a Greek name... I am fine with this idea, because it puts the present, and future for a society, and does not try to drag in the past in its oldest form. Last names have always changed and were never permanent, if you are beomcing a Greek, move on with it and adapt a Greek name to reflect your decision. Its a new start, a new identity brings a reknewed name. People get overly whiny about name changes. If your a part of society and feel a part like any other - why wouldnt you want your name to reflect that, and not hold on to something that has no relevance today?

His name is Sotiris Ninis.

He has Facebook, and thats his elected name. On PAO, before he had a Greek passport - he PICKED his name to be SOTIRIS NINIS on his jersey.

The kid is a Greek man, and Himariots in Greece tend to identify more with Greece, becuase they have more in common with it thatn the Muslim/Fanaticist Albania and the other Albanians that are in Greece...The kid also only knows Greece....he speaks Greek his first language, his friends are Greeks...hes not an Albanian. I know a crazy guy from Kosovo who is 6ft tall and loves the idea of Albania and Greater Albania. To me - THAT is an Albanian. Not the little Greek kid who has Orthodox family in a heavily Greek influenced area for thousands of years with an Italianized last name and MAYBE had Albanian speaking family...Of Himariots I know, their language at home is Greek, and they know Sotiris. I dont think Sotiris is playing for Greece for the money. This is his home and homeland....

As for name changes, theyre a good thing. If you are going to be a Greek citizen, you are declaring yourself Greek. A Greek, has a Greek name... I am fine with this idea, because it puts the present, and future for a society, and does not try to drag in the past in its oldest form. Last names have always changed and were never permanent, if you are beomcing a Greek, move on with it and adapt a Greek name to reflect your decision. Its a new start, a new identity brings a reknewed name. People get overly whiny about name changes. If your a part of society and feel a part like any other - why wouldnt you want your name to reflect that, and not hold on to something that has no relevance today?

This show evrything about your medieval mentality.....

His true name is Sotir Nini.. this is the truthe... and yes he has dhe greek name in facebook in passaport and where ever you wont....

Im a himariot....and im not a greek.....

and Himariots in Greece tend to identify more with Greece, becuase they have more in common with it thatn the Muslim/Fanaticist Albania

Yes you know evrything about Himariots naw.....

In albania there are not Muslim Fanaticist.. i have muslym friends and their are laik secularizeted.... you are rong... maybee you are a fanatic person

Even the son of my brother ho is borne in Italy dont know to speak albanian.. and he speak a perfect italian.. so he is a italian....??????

I know a crazy guy from Kosovo who is 6ft tall and loves the idea of Albania and Greater Albania. To me - THAT is an Albanian

First he is a kosovar..... second you are showing to all that you dont know nothing about albanian.. what kinde of argoments are you bringing....????? :tdown:

Not the little Greek kid who has Orthodox family in a heavily Greek influenced area for thousands of years with an Italianized last name and MAYBE had Albanian speaking family.

Im an orthodox too but im not a greek.....

Nini is a comon albanian surname.......

And yes his family are albanian speaking....

Of Himariots I know, their language at home is Greek

Yes i see you know evrything...... :blink:

I dont think Sotiris is playing for Greece for the money.

Ohh pleas..... Sotir is just a kid who wont to play with a god team.... he do what his family told him to do.... and mony make the difference.....

Ohh pleas..... Sotir is just a kid who wont to play with a god team.... he do what his family told him to do.... and mony make the difference.....

Everything else aside because I don't know what his parents talked where and when (and frankly couldn't care less :D) but your last arguement I don't agree with. This is something you do on a club level. You don't go play for a country when you feel 100% associated and affiliated with another. Money, fame, a good team, these are all things he can find within PAO...

I think we can all agree on the fact that he at least feels Greek, which is indeed reflected by the name, the passport, and so on ...

This show evrything about your medieval mentality.....

His true name is Sotir Nini.. this is the truthe... and yes he has dhe greek name in facebook in passaport and where ever you wont....

Yes you know evrything about Himariots naw.....

In albania there are not Muslim Fanaticist.. i have muslym friends and their are laik secularizeted.... you are rong... maybee you are a fanatic person

Even the son of my brother ho is borne in Italy dont know to speak albanian.. and he speak a perfect italian.. so he is a italian....??????

First he is a kosovar..... second you are showing to all that you dont know nothing about albanian.. what kinde of argoments are you bringing....????? :tdown:

Im an orthodox too but im not a greek.....

Nini is a comon albanian surname.......

And yes his family are albanian speaking....

Yes i see you know evrything...... :blink:

what are you talking about.

I am saying I know Himariots. They speak Greek at home. This was an EXAMPLE. So I know for fact, some ARE Greeks.

Nobody is saying all Himariots are Greek, or Himariots cant be Albanian etc...

His name is Sotir Nini? Whats to say Albanians didnt Albanize his name to begin with? Do YOU know? Is there even a difference between Sotiris Ninis and Sotir Nini? NO.

You know he did CHOOSE Ninis... The kid is a GREEK man. His friends are Greeks, he speaks Greek, hes a typical Athenian teenager look at the guy. Nini or Ninis is maybe a common name. Of what I know its not even an Albanian name but Italian origin. So again, who cares?

People in Greece if they had a non-greek last name, add an "s" to make it into a nominitive case. Nobody will call somebody Sotir, which is a Greek name anyways - Sotiris, Sotirios, Sotiras, Sotir (much older Greek) . I have never heard this name in any other Orthodox country or people BTW. Sotir, if you didnt know is medival Greek for Saviour. Very comon name is Sotiris, which came from Sotir. But nobody says "Sotir" it doesnt flow with language, people will always say Sotiris today, just by instinct not by "nationalization"

Weather he had Albanian family, or Greek family back in Epirus, makes no difference. The two peoples were more or less the same thing to begin with. Many Greeks, speaking Albanian and saying they are Albanian Orthodox etc. Many Albanians (or Arvanites) saying they are Greek and Greek Orthodox etc....Today, they are right. Maybe they are a bit of both, maybe the one that they are TODAY is the only one important- afterall the two cultures have mixed quite a bit for a very long time.

My only point was, that to me, there are more than one kind of Albanian and they are very different. The Kosovar/Extremist was an example. When I know Himariot families, in my opinion in culture, history looks, religion and mentality, we are very similar, and they seem closer to us than the Albanians of the north/islamic/kosovo/greater albania etc etc etc. Its a perception man. Why are you being defensive?

So, you think Sotiris is just playing for Greece for the money :LOL:

YEAH OK.

Lets say, Albania was just as good as Greece, and financial opportunity was equal....You really think he would play for them? Because I really dont and NEITHER of us know him personally. You stick to your BS that hes a die hard Albanian......and Ill stick to what the kid says and has chosen.

And BTW:

Nobody can support Panathinaikos there whole life and not become Greek in some way...Sotiris is a hardcore PAO fan too. :nw:

I am from Vuno an Himariot village and i am albanian but i have greek parents too.. so my uncle is married with a greek..... Im an albanian orthodox my father name is Pilo, my mother name is Athina my brother name is Anastas..

wait Im confused. You have Greek parents, and you call yourself Albanian, but its not ok for Ninis to have Albanian parents (alegedly) and call himself a Greek?

Is this a language mistake??

he needs to start playing regularly for pao before getting in the starting 11 for greece. as for his ethnicity well

roger guerreiro (brazilian) & Emmanuel Olisadebe(nigerian) play for poland

http://poland.worldcupblog.org/1/roger-gue...for-poland.html

eduardo da silva (brazilian) plays for croatia

marco aurelio(brazilian) plays for turkey

deco (brazilian) plays for portugal

marcos senna (brazilian) plays for spain

berat sadik(macedonian/albanian) plays for finland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berat_Sadik

Gaby Mudingayi(congo) plays for belgium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaby_Mudingayi

Steve Mandanda(zaire) plays for france

there are loads more examples of this, how can anyone question ninis playing for greece, he's eligable for greece & albania and he chose greece. the above examples were not even born in and have zero ethnicity for the countries they play for.

Ninis moved to Greece when he was 2 or 3 years old. He went to Greek schools, he lives in Athens hes Greek Orthodox. He MAY or MAY NOT have had Albanian speaking parents in Epirus. Epirus, and Orthodox in Epirus, are the same things as Greeks. And Greeks are the same thing as them. We are all from Byzantine's tradition and culture, and "blood" is not that different. If ANY Epirot, chooses to identify with Greece ethnically, it is his right. The regions culture is Greek and Albanian influence for a very very long time. Its not like hes a Bosnian, in a land nothing to do with Greece or Greek HEAVY Greek influence who grew up in Greece.

I could care less if his parents were "Albanian" or "Greek" at the end of the day, the region of Epirus is belonging to both peoples, countries and cultures. So he can choose whichever, they are both may as well be his homeland. He wouldnt be the first Greek that had Albanian speaking roots, afterall Arvanites were many in Greece, and they mixed, adopted and are Greeks today.

BTW: some of his facebook info, for the sake on conversation:

This information is what he declares...

Name : Sotiris Ninis

Hometown: Athens, Greece

Religion: Christian - Greek Orthodox

The truth is, he doesnt represnt anything of Albanian society, nation, or football. Possibility he has "Albanian" blood. What the hell is Albanian "blood" anyways. We still in the beleif that the Balkan countries including Greece and Albanian are pure-breds one race?

Respect, Albanian Epirus and Greece.

Guys,the kid has made his choice.Why are we still debating about it??Ninis was born in Albania,moved to Greece young,he had the option of chosing his nationality and he picked greek or at least plays for us so what is this whole analyzing what his name was and who lives in Himara???Who cares??? :1eye:

He has played for our young NT teams and eventually he will be a part of our man NT for the next decade.Pretty clear picture here.

Pirro can belive or feel whatever he likes but Sotiris Ninis or his family made there choice so debating about something that has already happened and decided is kind of pointless but please,keep trying to change each others opinions. :tup:

Ok guys... i dont speak very well english... but lets try to bring some logical arguments...

First in my previues posts i sayed that Nini is an albanian who chose to play for grece and this is a good thing for dhe relations betwine ouer tow countries... and yes he has come in greece whene he wos 4 years old.. he had lived all his life in greece and yes he may feel greek but alsow the greek team give to hime more international oportunity that the albanian.. alsow is payed better you cant ignore this things....

Second i'm an albanian and my unchle is married with a greek... we cosider her a parent.. a part of our family....

darkos :tdown: you are rong... im an orthodox Albanian.. im not a greek...

im an Epiriot.. or in albanian dialect Iperiot ( Ipetar)... who comes from Ipe that means eagle.. Iperia (Epirus) ShqIperia means the land of the eagles...

Im an orthodox from epirus and i'm not a greek.... Do You Understand this...???'

And stop trolling pleas...

Can you just talk about sport and abandon your history propaganda.....????

Iv seyd from my first post.. i love greece and i love greek people we (the albanians & Greeks ) have so many things in comune.. Culture, dress, cucine.... e cetera.. but the extremis nacionalist are evrywere...

This is the truthe...: Nini Is an albanian ( his famigliar are albanian) who chose to played for grecce.. who feel greek.. lik other million Greeks by Albanian origin or mixed .. Im speakind about the Arvanitas the orthodox Cham and other Albanin that have come in grecce and had started a life there....

So good luck Nini and i hope you will bee a bridge betwine awer tow countries the tow oldest countries of Europe....

Ok gays... i dont speak very well english... but lets try to bring some logical arguments...

First in my previues posts i sayed that Nini is an albanian who chose to play for grece and this is a good thing for dhe relations betwine ouer tow countries... and yes he has come in greece whene he wos 4 years old.. he had lived all his life in greece and yes he may feel greek but alsow the greek team give to hime more international oportunity that the albanian.. alsow is payed better you cant ignore this things....

Second i'm an albanian and my unchle is married with a greek... we cosider her a parent.. a part of our family....

darkos :tdown: you are rong... im an orthodox Albanian.. im not a greek...

im an Epiriot.. or in albanian dialect Iperiot ( Ipetar)... who comes from Ipe that means eagle.. Iperia (Epirus) ShqIperia means the land of the eagles...

Im an orthodox from epirus and i'm not a greek.... Do You Understand this...???'

And stop trolling pleas...

Can you just talk about sport and abandon your history propaganda.....????

Iv seyd from my first post.. i love greece and i love greek people we (the albanians & Greeks ) have so many things in comune.. Culture, dress, cucine.... e cetera.. but the extremis nacionalist are evrywere...

This is the truthe...: Nini Is an albanian ( his famigliar are albanian) who chose to played for grecce.. who feel greek.. lik other million Greeks by Albanian origin or mixed .. Im speakind about the Arvanitas the orthodox Cham and other Albanin that have come in grecce and had started a life there....

So good luck Nini and i hope you will bee a bridge betwine awer tow countries the tow oldest countries of Europe....

no offense, your english isnt good enough to understand what I have said.

For one you just called us "gays" :LOL:

Propaganda? What are you talking about, Im not even tlaking about history! :blink: What because I said the kid calls himself a Greek and Greek orthodox its propaganda, but while you are repeating things from Albanian Newspaper that he is albanian....you are not saying propaganda?

I said that because his parents are from Epirus, and Epirus is mix of Greek and Albanians for very long time.

This is not propaganda.

The origin of the word Epirus, is from Greek. Epir is from Epiros. This isnt even contested and is absolutley not propaganda man.

Eiprius is very much a greek word. We still have the word today meaning big mass of land or continent and its very used.

Also, Pyrro, you are taking everything as offensive. Your english, said "I have Greek parents"

Parents means only mother and father in English. Thats why I asked why you say you are Albanian but not Greek. This is not propaganda, its what you wrote, and it was obviously a mistake because of English. Its OK.

I will try to type less so you can understand, you are getting defensive for no reason I have said nothing except RESPECT. Nationalist? Why because I beleive if an Epirot chooses to be Greek, he has a right to be accepted as one? :blink:

Archived