Phantis Forums

SANTOS IS GONE

TheCity1924

i think it is basicaly because he knows that he has maked 200% out of this team by getting 2nd and being in the cup final(regardless metting 2nd div. and 3rd div opponents all the way to the final)he know he simply can not do any better and is aware of going to the cl is allmost impossible with the curent roster!

Ivic wasn't happy at all. To be honest the team was not free to play its game. He was very into following strict orders which in my opinion hindered the teams creative ability.

That said I think he did a great job with the resources he had to deal with and I for one am pleased with what the team has accomplished.

...you really cant think he is REALLY leaving on his own accord...

You think he wants to give up a team he was building (kind of) and making that much $$$$$$????

No way. They cut ties very buisness like. There have been rumors of him taking over a portguese team for a few weeks now - the portguese papers have been writing it....

Well even though I did not like him and was never a fan of his tactics or his choices - I thank him...

Now, maybe Lemonis is available!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am shocked that he announced today a day before the cup. I liked Santos but i he will not have been a great choice for the CL. I hope we go out there and get a good coach. There is some rumors even tho it's early still about Parmas coach Bereta or even our own MAN Tony Saveski.......Time will tell. THANK YOU TO SANTOS FOR EVERYTHING HE DID..... :tup:

Timing was definately not the best, but you never know, the lads could go out there and play with some free wheeling spirit?? Maybe it will fire them up.

Anyways, Santos has done a great job (providing we get 2nd) with what we have.

I think he has taken us as far as he can with his style and game plan.

Will be very interested to see who the new coach is!!

:tup: THANK YOU SANTOS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE :tup:

his timing could have been better.one day before the final???? :1eye:

From what I read the players new something like this could happen. But they thought that the Greek reasons would apply, meaning that if they won the last two games he would stay and if they lost he would go. Its apparent that Santos was going to leave anyway, so I guess he figured that taking the extra presure off the team would be good.

I think he made the right decision by announcing it before the game. It could serve as extra motivation!!!

FORZA AEKARA!!!

Santos is not leaving, he's being fired, as he has been fired several times in the past by several different clubs. Ntemis said a while ago that AEK is not playing good soccer. That was the first sign that Santos will have to go. In my opinion he is one of the worst foreign coaches ever to work in Greece. Bajevic, by comparison, stands like a giant. AEK played superb european-level soccer under Bajevic.

Some people think that Santos is successful because AEK has achieved second place. But against whom? Against the worst PAO of the last ten years. AEK has good players, at least as good as PAO and they should be able to play better than this.

He;s not being fired!!

His contract end this summer and its not being renewed.

2nd place and a cup with our squad is a good achievement in my opinion.

Even though we played boring football under Santos, he came to us in our time of need now its time for a fresh approach. We are out of the woods (financially) and we need to move into a different phase at AEK.

All the best wherever you end up Fernando.

He;s not being fired!!

Even though we played boring football under Santos, he came to us in our time of need now its time for a fresh approach. We are out of the woods (financially) and we need to move into a different phase at AEK.

Ofcourse he is not being "fired". They basically told him, we are letting you go at the end of the season. Do you want to leave on your own on your own terms? Or do you want us to cut you off at the end of the season.

It was a buisness deal, that saves face. Happens all the time and it happened again here.

Additionally, I am really starting to get sick of hearing that Santos "did a good job with what had". That is a really incorrect statement.

HE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT BUILD A TEAM FOR THE FUTURE. AND HE DID NOT DO THAT.

He has not played young players of built them up with experience for future years. He stuck with the same old guys to get RESULTS. That was NOT his charter.

Go back and read the interviews when Demis took over and hired Santos:

First year was for cleaning up the finances

second was, building a team that could compete

In my opinion, the finances are getting better... but the as far as building a team - I have yet to see that. We have played with the same guys for 2 years (+/- a couple of players). I dont see much "building" going on by his tactics or choices. He was playing games for RESULTS. Not for building up the future of the team.

What building of a team???

He had no control over transfers!! Demi and more so Ivic had full control!!

Look at the comparison from last season. Champions league and potentially a Kypello. Compared to 3rd and Cup Semi.

Thats an improvement and thats all we can ask for as fans.

This year has always been about getting a CL berth. We are 95% of the way getting there.

He was always gonna be an interim coach while we got our finances right, why bag the guy when he leaves. If you expected us to win a protathlima within 2 years of being 65m euro in debt, file youve got unrealistic expectations.

You've gotta walk before you can run.

He;s not being fired!!

Ofcourse he is not being "fired". They basically told him, we are letting you go at the end of the season. Do you want to leave on your own on your own terms? Or do you want us to cut you off at the end of the season.

It was a buisness deal, that saves face. Happens all the time and it happened again here.

Additionally, I am really starting to get sick of hearing that Santos "did a good job with what had". That is a really incorrect statement.

HE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT BUILD A TEAM FOR THE FUTURE. AND HE DID NOT DO THAT.

He has not played young players of built them up with experience for future years. He stuck with the same old guys to get RESULTS. That was NOT his charter.

Go back and read the interviews when Demis took over and hired Santos:

First year was for cleaning up the finances

second was, building a team that could compete

In my opinion, the finances are getting better... but the as far as building a team - I have yet to see that. We have played with the same guys for 2 years (+/- a couple of players). I dont see much "building" going on by his tactics or choices. He was playing games for RESULTS. Not for building up the future of the team.

The goals of the team were not set by Sanots but by Ivic and Demis. They might have said that we are in a rebuilding phase and that we don't care about winning but everyone knows that it isn't true. Fans want to see results regardless of the shape the team is in. 5 year Malakozani plan, remember that.

Just look at the games and Demis and Ivic's reaction. Last year with Ionikos, Demis went down and destroyed the team because they lost. He wanted first place and there's nothimg more to it. The Emerson transfer was made to help AEK get to the CL, not to rebuild. And if i remember correctly when we played Xanthi before the transfer Demi was seen talking to Emerson getting him interested. Ivic and Demi are in charge and they decide which direction the team goes and what it is playing for. They desperately need the money from CL and would not stand to see Kone, Pliatsikas and Papastathopoulos play when they won't be able to get them 2nd place.

Santos did exactly what he was told to do, not what was said to the media. I think he did a good job given the players and the team situation.

Look at the comparison from last season. Champions league and potentially a Kypello. Compared to 3rd and Cup Semi.

Thats an improvement and thats all we can ask for as fans.

This year has always been about getting a CL berth. We are 95% of the way getting there.

first off, we don t have second place secured. and pao this season was garbage for its standards. last year we had a chance for the title until the end...this year? no chance. hadnt moras stumbled and we have gotten a penalty we would be champs last year. what about this season? had paos correct goal stood we wouldn t even have second place. our victory against pao was extremly lucky and never 3-0 in terms of differences between the teams...

as for kypello,last year we lost in the kypello semifinal to olympiakos extremly unlucky. we played better football in those two games than all cup games this season. we reached the final?? big deal, the hardest team we faced this year was niki bolou, who are in danger of relgation to gamma ethniki. the ektos edras was on a terrible snow pitch, that should have never been played. do you remember the penalty kicks against gamma ethniki opposition. last year we beat pao in the cup..don t compare the two runs. this years was nothing compared to last years...

@dava-g:

great post! we wanted to rebuild. we did not. santos, demis and ivic are to blame for that.

Archived