Phantis Forums

Roster Options for the Remaining WC Qualifiers

Grigoris

It seems that most of us have our views as to what our roster should look like for the remaining WC qualifiers. I have put together my roster of 22 players that I would call in September, assuming that everyone is healthy and leaving aside political disputes.

Goalies

Nikopolidis

Chalkias

Eleftheropoulos

Defenders

Fyssas

Kapsis

Dellas

Seitaridis

Kyriakos

Midfielders

Karagounis

Gianakopoulos

Zagorakis

Basinas

Katsouranis

Tsiartas

Zikos

Stoltidis

Grammozis

Forwards

Charisteas

Papadopoulos

Amanatidis

Lymberopoulos

Salpingidis

This is just to get the debate going. I know some of you won't like certain players that I have included - Eleftheropoulos, Tsiartas and Basinas specifically. Also, there are certain mainstays over the past few years that I have excluded (Vryzas, Goumas, Lakis, Kafes and, assuming they were healthy, Georgiadis and Venetidis).

I believe I have come up with a mix of players that can cover all situations of the game, and will provide more options off the bench than we have had in the past. Of course, that is open to debate.

Some basic comments and then I will leave it open for discussion.

Goalies - Eleftheropoulos had a good year in Italy this year. If he has another successful year in Italy, I would prefer to have him than an untested much younger player (Sifakis). I know it is unlikely to use a third goalkeeper. However, if we are going to use the roster spot, I'd rather feel a little more safe with a stronger backup. Also, I don't think we will see Katergiannakis again. Do we have any other options?

Five defenders - I know - defense is the strength of our team. However, we don't really have players to truly replace Fyssas and Seitaridis. Kyriakos is enough to stand in for either Dellas or Kapsis if injured. Tavlaridis and Goumas are OK backups; Vyntra is a step below them in my opinion. We can also deploy Katsouranis and even Basinas if we are really pushed. Venetidis should not play on the NT again. Also, I believe Dabizas' time with the NT has come to an end. Plus, I believe we gain more with the additions in midfield of Zikos, Grammozis and Stoltidis than we would if we added additional central defenders.

9 Midfielders - As we saw the past few games, our midfield has not been playing up to its top potential. Having Zagorakis out today did not help. If we had a few more options, though, maybe his absence would not have been felt so strongly. Zikos has been performing at a high level for Monaco the past few years and even managed to play in a Champions League final. His experience and composure can only help bring more stability to our team. Grammozis would bring us a legitimate left sided midfielder - something we have been lacking for some time now. I kept Tsiartas because there may come a point late in the game where we can use his touch. He is not to play more than 30 minutes a game though. Lakis, Kafes, Georgiadis do not offer the team anything.

Strikers - I for one like Vryzas' dedication, determination and team spirit. However, Charisteas is slow enough. Having two slow strikers does not strike fear in an opposing team's defense. Besides, neither player is great at creating chances for other players. Lymberopoulos is a suitable option to take the place vacated by Nikolaidis after he retired. Amanatidis and Salpingidis have a little better ball control and passing/finishing abilities.

In total, I have named/discussed 33 players . Anyway, any other players that you believe deserve a look?

im going to name my team:

Goalies

Nikopolidis

Eleftheropoulos

Defenders

Fyssas

Kapsis

Dellas

Seitaridis

Kyriakos

Tavlaridis <<<<-------- Youth

Midfielders

Karagounis

Gianakopoulos

Zagorakis

Lagos <------- Youth

Katsouranis

Tzoilis/Fotakis <<<----------- youth

Tsartes

Stoltidis

Grammozis

Forwards

Charisteas

Papadopoulos <<---------- Youth

Amanatidis <<--------- Youth

Samaras <<-------- youth

Salpingidis/Gekkas <-------- Youth

Totoal 22 players

Brief comments:

We need new blood, i dnt care what anyone says espeically in the forwards where our weakness is... Also if we build this team like im suggesting it would be an easyer transaction when the older players retire....

However im aware that this would never happen and also players like Fotakis and Lagos need to move to bigger clubs in order to be selected...

Total oversight on my part with respect to Samaras. He had a good season with Herenveen and has attracted some attention in England recently. Not bad for such a young player. As for Tavlaridis, I believe he is definitely a player for the future. It was a shame to see him subbed after only 30 minutes. Maybe it would be good to allow him to grow in the national team, since he will likely be a part of it for the next 10 years or so. I also like the addition of Tziolis/Fotakis and Lagos -- it is always important to bring new players in to both push the older players and to get experience. However, I still believe Zikos is our best player NOT on the NT and would like to see how he fits in. Also, Lymberopoulos has alsways impressed me with his ability to create for himself and others. After being dumped by PAO, to see him do so well with AEK was nice. I think he still has something to offer. Can anyone else think of anyone who deserves a mention? (Skopelitis had a good season for Portsmouth, but I stil do not think he is NT level at this moment.)

im going to name my ideal team for the future of those i think should be playing

GKS:

1. Kota-Melos- he is a loser and sloppy with crosses and positionng lately--- but one thing he does do well i noticed with japan like the old days was being aggresive off his line. He stopped many breakaways and remember when he chased the jap in the corner today? that was exactly the right thing to do. Also there is nobody else

2. Petros Abaris- good goalkeeper

3. Mironas Sifakis- also good

LeftBacks:

Takis Fyssas

Gkoumas/Venetidis/Panagiotis Lagos

Rightbacks:

Giourkas Seitaridis

Pantos? Vyntra is a bad marker.

Centerbacks:

Traianos Dellas

Mixalhs Kapsis

Sotris Kirgiakos

Gkoumas

Tavlaridis(Reserve)

Center mids (def)

Katsouranis

Zagorakis

Basinas :LOL: :angry: yeah right

Stoltidis/Zikos

CAM:

Karagkounis

Barkoglou(reserve)

Lyberopoulos

Amanatidis

Left Mids:

Panagiotis Lagos........great player and young

Georgatos--- i hate him yeah. but he is good and does have attacking flair with defense. The team cant score we have no attacking flair or style- Georgatos be really useful

Right Mids:

Giannakopoulos

Fanouris Gkoundoulakis/Fotakis

Forwards:

Papadopoulos

Gkekas

Amanatidis/Vryzas

Samaras

Charisteas (sub)

Lybe

and here is my ideal 11ada

------------------Adonakis--------

Fyssas----------Dellas-------Kirgiakos--------Seitaridis

Georgatos/--------Katsouranis/Zagorakis------------Giannakopoulos

---------------------- Lyberopoulos------------------

-------------Papadopoulos/Gkekas------------Samaras-------------

Out of any of the outside chances to make the team, I think Georgatos is the most unlikely, as long as Otto is in charge. Georgatos' time with the NT ended when he walked out after the 5-1 loss to Finland. Barkoglou is a good young player though and it would be good to see him get a chance at some point. Do people see any chance that Zikos and Stoltidis can both make the team or is it an either/or at best?

Also, does Mantzios have a future with the NT? He is a young player and has been linked with some larger foreign clubs. Unfortunately, I have not seen many of his games, so it is hard for me to say.

i will name my 'dream linup' (23 man roster)

Nikopolidis, Eleftheropoulos, Chalkias

Fyssas, Goumas, Dellas, Kapsis, Tavlaridis, Kyrgiakos, Konstantinidis, Giourkas

Katsouranis, Basinas, Zagorakis, Karagounis, Tziolis, Stelios, Gramozis, Stoltidis

Samaras, Amanatidis, Papadopoulos, Charisteas

realistically speaking though we will see the same roster as now play the last 3 qualifiers minus Sifakis and Tavlaridis when Dellas returns.

others worth mentioning: Chiotis, Sifakis, Vallas, Mantzios, Salpingidis, Goundoulakis, Gekas, Zikos you know Otto will never select him.

i would like to mention one other player, Christos Pappas who played for Apollon Kalamaria and he was surprising this seaason, he plays right mid on the youth team but he still needs about 2 more years before being considered but looks promising

Not being able to follow the Greek games as many of you, my views of the players is purely based on intl. competition.

Goalie: Nikopolidis is fine in some games but when it comes to set plays or crosses he just mis-times things. However, if not him, then who else ?

Defense: Goumas just apepars lost out there. he may be good/great in Greek league play but everytime I see him w/ the NT I know to expect a bad play which will ultimately end up as a goal. Tavlaridis gets lauds from everyone but Otto seems to have him out of the picture.

Midfield: our major weak point. If Zagaorakis is the glue we need to groom a replacement. Karagounis is a lion out there but his play gets him the yello card each game. Giannakopoulos forgets he's not in the Premier league and insists on playing that style. Zikos is missing and we need to get him back. Tsartas is gone and putting him on is wasting everyone's time. Same thing for Lakis.

Forwards: Vrizas is pathetic, Pap looks like a little boy out there, Charisteas creates nothing and as for the rest, sorry to say, but haven't seen them.

This habit of the NT to move forward by moving backwards is just ludicrous. Every time a player touches the ball they pass it back to then have the backs lob it in to the forwards. We don't have the creativity to organize long and steady attacks and yet by passing back the ball we end up giving the other time time to regroup. Unless we change our style of play and bring in young and hungry legs, we will face another

defeat and no WC.

Guys, what players I would like to see on the NT and what players Otto will call for the WC qualifiers in September are two different things.

As for Otto, I am very sure he will not change his line-up unless his main players are injured. That will last until the end of the WC qualifying campaign. After that changes will be made (considering that we will most likely not qualify for WC 2006).

Here are some of my comments on the players:

Goalies

Nikopolidis

Sifakis

Katergiannakis

I would like to see Sifakis get a chance. We have to start looking to the future. Nikopolidis will remain out # 1 at least for the forseable future. Also Katergiannakis might get another look if he finds a decent team to play on.

Defenders

Fyssas

Kapsis

Dellas

Seitaridis

Kyriakos

Tavlaridis

Stay with what we have now, but we will have to start looking for Kapsis/Dellas replacements. Hopefully some of the younger talents will start to get chances in friendlies. I'd like to see Karypidis and Avraam Papadopoulos (up and coming talent) get a chance.

Midfielders

Karagounis

Gianakopoulos

Zagorakis

Basinas

Katsouranis

Stoltidis

I'd like to see Stoltidis and Zikos get a chance. I don't understand why Otto does not call them up. I think it is time to phase out Tsiartas. In the last few games I think the midfield was the main reason for our bad results.

Forwards

Charisteas

Papadopoulos

Amanatidis

Gekkas

Salpiggidis

Samaras

Vryzas

Vryzas will stay on the team as long as Otto is the coach. He is the right player for the system that Otto prefers. But eventually he will have to be phased out. I definitively like to see Salpiggidis get a chance. He has been better than Papadopoulos last season, and I also think he is a better player that Gekas.

Finally I would like to see Otto schedule some friendlies, where he plays the youngsters and give the old-timers some rest time.

Finally I would like to see Otto schedule some friendlies, where he plays the youngsters and give the old-timers some rest time.

Agreed!

Now that many European teams would like to play us, is the chance the arrange some decent friendlies.

New talent must be given a chance but, as our team functions on team work rather than individual talent, I would like to see a blend of old and new in these games.

Finally, KEEP REHHAGEL!!!

Out of any of the outside chances to make the team, I think Georgatos is the most unlikely, as long as Otto is in charge. Georgatos' time with the NT ended when he walked out after the 5-1 loss to Finland. Barkoglou is a good young player though and it would be good to see him get a chance at some point. Do people see any chance that Zikos and Stoltidis can both make the team or is it an either/or at best?

Also, does Mantzios have a future with the NT? He is a young player and has been linked with some larger foreign clubs. Unfortunately, I have not seen many of his games, so it is hard for me to say.

yeah Georgatos is unlikely, but i still think we need him. We need to be scoring goals and he can open up the game for us on the left side at least.

Mantzios I dont really understand- i have seen him play he is decent, he is supposed to be a big superstar but he hardly starts for Panionios.

GK

Nikopolidis, starter for the next year and WC if we make it

Sifakis, future

Eleftheropoulos, if he changes attitude

Defenders[/u]

Dellas, time is definately almost up, injury prone, be surprised if he makes it to Germany

Kapsis, solid, i think one of the starters in the middle

Kyrgiakos, has to start in my opinion, future of defence for next 5 years

Seitaridis, right back, no doubt

Fyssas, like dellas, time almost up

Vyntra, wouldnt mind puttin him on the left side, very promising and solid in recent games

Goumas, experience

MF[/b][/u]

karagounis,time almost up, slackin of late

giannakopouls," "

katsouranis, slackin of late, except game with turkey where he was best player

basinas, plays completely diff't than with pao lol, but CANNOT play center back

lagos, future, give him some experience

zagorakis, heart and soul of greek team but is gettin old

mantzio, future

ziko, shouldve been invited a long time ago

FW

Charistea, needs to pick it up

Papadopoulos, shows a lot of proimse and contributes now

Gkekas, shows a lot of promise, but needs more big club/big game experience

Amanatidis, also solid player, and young

Salpiggidis, has been consistent and solid last two years

thats my 23 man roster, and i think ppl r jumpin on the samaras bandwagon too soon

I cannot understand how Rahagel has not given "Salpighdis and Stoltsidhs" a go???

Tsiartas should pack his bags...Every time i see him on the field he pisses me off :angry:

Samaras and Taralidhs will be good impact players as well..

After we lost to Japan i was so shattered i had to watch a couple of the EURO games in order to feel better ;)

I watched Hellas 2-1 Portugal and Hellas 1-0 France...Firsly we are struggling because our back 4 are out (Dellas,Kapsis,Setairidhs and Fyssas) :( BUT the thing is watching the EURO matches we done so well because our back 4 created a lot of our counter attacks..Our back 4 today were lost and kicked the ball anywhere (Kyrikos???)..He is a nightmare :whistle:

Anyway we can't live in the past BUT watching last years game might ease the frustration :P

:gr: ELLAS ELLAS ELLAS ELLAS ELLAS ELLAS :gr:

Here's my team and the reasons why:

Charisteas Gianakopoulos

Vryzas ? Katsouranis Zagorakis Karagounis

Fyssas Kapsis Dellas Seitaridis

Nikopolidis

1. Nikopolidis - Our Best Keeper, Good on the ground, awful in the air.

2. Seitaridis - World Class, Simple.

3. Fyssas - Can defend, has pace and attacks.

4. Kapsis - Man to man marker, proven at this level.

5. Dellas - No need to explain. The Rock!

6. Katsouranis - Young, full of running, the new Zagorakis.

7. Zagorakis - Captain and our Leader. Akis Zikos could be his replacement?

11. ??? Left Midfield

10. Karagounis - Our most attacking midfielder with a fantastic work ethic.

9. Charisteas - Can score if given the right service and support up front. Has been let down bad with a lack of quality ball.

8. Gianakopoulos - Can score goals as he has proven for Bolton, plays too deep for Greece.

Reserves

Chalkias - Don't we have anyone better?

Goumas - Looks to be solid at the back, sorely missed during the CC.

Patsatzoglou - Where is this bloke...can somebody send out the rescue party!!

Basinas/Zikos - One or the other, not both. Zikos looks to be on the outer.

Tsiartas - A must for the bench, El Magic and the one man in the entire country who can turn a game with a deft pass or a moment of magic.

Vryzas - Controversial selection, I suggest left mid, works his arse off every time, will die for the cause, no excuses ever, plays with a broken hand. Can't find the net often enough and therefore should be utilised deeper.

Papadopoulos - Looks ok, haven't seen enough

Choutos - Am I dreaming? We need the new Nikolaidis who was the perfect foil for Charisteas

Players who should never play for the NT again!!!

Eleftheropoulos - In the same basket as a Machlas...been there, done that.

Kyriakos - This guy is a hack and lacks the class of Dellas and Kapsis, reminds me of Dabizas (who I liked) and the defenders from USA 94'. His mannerisms alone are enough for me.

Gerogatos - Prick!

Ok, where's my copy of Football Manager?

guys, kyriakos was the most solid player in the tournament, if it wasnt for him the japs would have scored 15 more goals on us, he was everywhere

He is crap :tdown:

Have a good look at him he has no idea about the game.He should be playing NFL or Rugby :LOL: :LOL:

Archived