Phantis Forums

WCq: GREECE - Ukraine

Ziaka

Four days after the game with Turkey, the NT plays the group leader Ukraine at Karaiskaki Stadium. If we get a positivre result in Constantinopole, the game with Ukraine will be a battle for first place.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We come out of Turkey with 3 points....I do not want to be Ukraine coming into Greece. Can you imagine the momentum, expectation and drive to knock off Ukraine. That will be the game of the qualifications. We beat Ukraine...we move ahead on our record against them.

I could smell 2006....it is just around the corner!!

I'm very confident we can get the results, we've shown it in the past. After Ukraine plays us they still must play Turkey and that is the only other opportunity I see for Ukraine dropping points, I'm confident we can take first place.

I'm very confident we can get the results, we've shown it in the past. After Ukraine plays us they still must play Turkey and that is the only other opportunity I see for Ukraine dropping points, I'm confident we can take first place.

Do not forget Ukraine plays Georgia in Georgia.....this guys are rivals and could very easily drop a few points with game as well!!!

Do not forget Ukraine plays Georgia in Georgia.....this guys are rivals and could very easily drop a few points with game as well!!!

This is a very good point here. I don't think that this is going to be an easy game for the Ukrains and they might drop some points here. Now as far as our team...... We have to take 1 game at a time like we did with the Euro and go from there..... But 2006 is smelling good :tup: :gr:

imagine if Niko didnt make the mistake, it'll be 1-0, away!!! This should be a fairly easy result, 2-0

also imagine if Niko didn't mess up the first game vs. Albania, watching the free kick go into the net, we would be at least one point closer to first

1 game at a time guys. If we beat Turkey, I'm thinking we take the group, cause Greece will have the momentum and a huge confidence boost. However, first we have to beat Turkey, and that won't be easy. As for the Ukraine game, it will surely decide the group. In essence, every game is a must-win for Greece if we want 1st place.

• 5 weeks later...

Question - if we finish tied with a team what is the order of tiebreakers?

I think we win this 2-0 - Stelios double - to make up for his s**** game today :tup: :gr:

One thing that I am sure of is that th eUkraine will screw up down the road - I just feel it - they will drop a few points (to Georgia ? Turkey?) and we must play hard to try to jump on this

Zito

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

W have to win all the games that we have remaining, starting with the game aganst Ukraine. The other test will be Denmark in Copenhagen.

It's now apparent that our loss to Albania in Tirana cost us dearly.

This game is make or break again!!!

i hope for our sake we make it...

1-0 Ellas

i wouldnt agree more with you. it is a make or break game.

i think that ellas will win 2-1, and then ukraine will draw with turkey while we beat danmark.

we really need to win in athens, b/c if we dont then looks like will be going through the qualifiers to get to germany. :tdown:

In what way are the playoffs played among the second place holders?

As far as I know, 13 teams from Europe will advance (in addition to

Germany). Eight will be the first place holders. How are the other

five decided?

A win is imperative IMO. Turkey will play Kazakhstan on the same day and we have to assume that Turkey wins that game. If that happens and we tie for instance, we'll be level on points but Turkey will be in 2nd off the tiebreak (head-to-head record is the same, goal differential between the 2 teams is the same, so goal differential overall is taken into account and with a win over Kazakhstan, Turkey has better goal diff. than Greece) or at least that's how I think the tie break works.

We also need the win if we still want a shot at 1st place. If we beat Ukraine and then Turkey does us a favour and manages to tie Ukraine and then we win, we'll be level on points with Ukraine but we'll be first because we have a better head to head record with them. Suffice it to say, there's still 4 matches to be played, so anything can happen.

Overall, I'm thinking 1-0 victory for Greece.

Though we get Zagorakis back for this game, we lose Katsouranis (suspension) :( . Defensively speaking, this will hurt, as from what I understand, he played phenominally against Turkey and is a menace for anyone and everyone on the opposite team.

With that being said, I think we definately need to focus on our attack, which didn't sound good (despite the efforts) with the exception of Karagounis and Stelios coming really close :o :( . I'd be willing to give up some of the midfield to play a true attacking mid or forward (4-3-1-2). Though Otto would never do that and he'd also have to make some tactical subs (i.e. not using Lakis and actually using all 3 subs). I mean Vryzas and Charisteas (love em') can only do so much when you makr up on them and can only get so much help from the midfield (and possibly defenders).

Ukraine have some talent, they don't have 20 points and 1st place for nothing. Most of their players are from the big teams in Ukraine (Dynamo Kiev and Shaktar Donestk, and Dnepropetrovsk), with their main attacking problems (Shevchenko and Voronin) playing at AC Milan and Bayer Leverkusen respectively. We'll definatly need 4 in the back. This is going to be a tough game though I see us doing enough to get a 2-1 win. I think our defense will hold up, and our attack can put a couple of goals past them (If we can play poorly and get a 1-1 draw away, we can definately beat them at home w/ our momentum).

My prefered lineup (4-3-1-2):

GK: Nikopolidis

Defense (Left to Right): Fyssas, Goumas (Sub/Alternate: Kapsis):, Kyraigos, Seiteridis

Midfield: Zagorakis, Basinas (Sub/Alternate: Tsartas, could also sub/alternate for Karagounis), Stelios

Attacking Mid/Withdrawn Forward: Karagounis

Forwards: Vryzas (Sub/Alternate Gekkas), Charisteas

Your thoughts....???

Archived