Phantis Forums

Nations League #6 - Greece vs. Estonia (Olympic Stadium, Athens, Greece) - 18 Nov 2018 21:45

Antaeus7

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

basically, but it also means Greece could draw 2 very difficult teams and a 3rd team that would give us a hard time like a Serbia , Romania, Republic of Ireland, Turkey and so on instead of 2 difficult teams and a Minnow like Moldova, San Marino and so on... 

Holy s%$#!. So that means we’re the minnow? Damn this is going to be hard. But at least we’ll watch some good games. And let’s not forget, greece play better against better teams. Never say never. 

• Like it 3

4 hours ago, La Mendel said:

I am afraid this will be Pot 4. We have 6 points from Finland and Hungary games (being the last team Estonia does not count). Bulgaria has already 7 points from their Norway and Cyprus games while Norway has 6 points but they will play against Cyprus on the last matchday (Slovenia is the last in their group). If Bulgaria will be second theyll be in front of us in the rank list. Group D looks better though. In all probability, Romania or Montenegro will be second (Lithuania is already relegated). If Romania wins, our chances will be slim. But if they draw against Montenegro, or if Montenegro beats them, the runner-up of Group D will be worse than Greece. Israel and Scotland have already six points. If they draw, the runner-up of Group A will be better than us; if not, their goal difference will be probably better than our difference (our goal difference against Hungary and Finland is 3-4).

Ceterum censeo: Skibbe F***ed up practically everything (including our chances for being included in the two best runner-up teams) in that Finland game.

That's right La Mendel Skibbe totally messed everything up in that Finland game. A game where I believe Greece should have at least been able to pick up a draw and would have stayed close to Finland for top spot. The EPO should have fired him before the start of this tournament!

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Excuse my ignorance but does pot 4 mean there will be 2 very difficult teams and one just above us team in our group? And only the top 2 qualify?

Jimmy, if that's the case we will be in a very tough situation. As a pot 3 team we were trying to avoid a difficult Pot 2 team for example Switzerland or Italy. Now if we are in pot 4 we would have to avoid a good pot 3 team as well for example say Serbia who have played well over the last few years and qualified for the World Cup.

Boys we are in pot 4 for the draw let that juts sink in for a second.. Look who’s is in pot 4 with us, San Marino, Gibraltar, Malta, Faroe Islands, Kosovo, Azebijian... OMG we are so F***ed...  How can we possibly be so bad my god... Just imagine by looking at all 3 pots how bad of a draw we can get.... The problem is even if we play our asses of the goal differential will never be in favour of the Greek team because they never score enough goals.. I’m truly dreading the  December 2nd draw becasue there’s a real possibility our chances will be over before the tournament even starts...?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ 

Edited by J1078

3 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Boys we are in pot 4 for the draw let that juts sink in for a second.. Look who’s is in pot 4 with us, San Marino, Gibraltar, Malta, Faroe Islands, Kosovo, Azebijian... OMG we are so F***ed...  How can we possibly be so bad my god... Just imagine by looking at all 3 pots how bad of a draw we can get.... The problem is even if we play our asses of the goal differential will never be in favour of the Greek team because they never score enough goals.. I’m truly dreading the  December 2nd draw becasue there’s a real possibility our chances will be over before the tournament even starts...?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ 

So its confirmed? My God how could Greece be lumped in with the likes of San Marino, Malta, etc. What a friging huge disaster this has turned into since the 2016 Euro qualifying. Dam the EPO for not replacing Santos with a suitable coach and bringing the likes of Ranieri and Skibbe!! Im so pissed, gamoto!!!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Holy s%$#!. So that means we’re the minnow? Damn this is going to be hard. But at least we’ll watch some good games. And let’s not forget, greece play better against better teams. Never say never. 

1) we play better against better teams for sure. We get lazy when it's a minnow and slack on getting lay up wins.

2) final tournys it's rare we make it past group stages anyways so it's 3 games. qualifiers we'll get 4 high quality matches. all about perspective.

Its already over. Today we play for pride that it. 

We are in pot 4 with the minnows lmfao. No way we can finish 2nd in a group when we are coming from pot 4. 

And to make matters worse we will probably be 4th place 2nd place team in group C come Tuesday. Giving us no hope of a back door entrance. As if being 3rd would help. 

Its over before it started. 

Back to the dark ages. 

Crazy thing is Macedonia might be at the party lol

We have been so unlucky in this run honestly I believe Karma owes us a good draw.

Retsos and Donis were injured in all matches. Skibbe fcked up by putting Tzavellas vs the Finns but Sokratis got injured. Manolas if I remember corectly was injured in 3 out of 6 matches (today is the 4th).

Maybe we can make it in the Qualifiers but otherwise start building for the 2022.

Edit: Not to mention Stafylidis who is my favorite player and Kourbelis always getting injured for the 2nd matches of each international break.

Nikopolidis taking the youngsters in U-21 for the qualifying hasn't helped as well.

Bad season.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

5 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

We have been so unlucky in this run honestly I believe Karma owes us a good draw.

Retsos and Donis were injured in all matches. Skibbe fcked up by putting Tzavellas vs the Finns but Sokratis got injured. Manolas if I remember corectly was injured in 3 out of 6 matches (today is the 4th).

Maybe we can make it in the Qualifiers but otherwise start building for the 2022.

I just don’t know what a favourable draw would be??? I’m looking at the groups and I don’t see which 3 teams we could draw that would be favourable and give us a chance.. I think you’re right it’s more likely looking like 2022 ffs..

I agree. I think we need to focus on upcomming talent though. 

I want to see proper wingers on the wings, but the U-21 has the smae dates the SENIOR nt HAS.

Lazaros Lamprou, Tsimikas, Limnios, Hatzidiakos are all the future of this team and trust me , once the u21 gets disqualified in 1-2 days, they re gonna start getting called up.

• Like it 1

Just now, J1078 said:

I just don’t know what a favourable draw would be??? I’m looking at the groups and I don’t see which 3 teams we could draw that would be favourable and give us a chance.. I think you’re right it’s more likely looking like 2022 ffs..

Pot 1 :Switzelrland, Poland, Netherlands possibly

Pot 2: Ukraine, Russia, Iceland, Wales,  Cz Republic, Bosnia aint unbeatable either, so is Austria

Pot 3: Finland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Bulgaira , Scotland

It's not as sad as you make it look like. I dont believe we should be here but there are also teams that shouldnt be higher htan us as well.

GREECE 

13 Barkas(GK)

2 Bakakis

3 Lampropoulos

6 Bouchalakis

7 Karelis

8 Zeca

14 Bakasetas

17 Masouras

19 Papastathopoulos(Captain)

21 Giannoulis

22 Samaris

BENCH

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

12 Paschalakis(GK)

4 Risvanis

5 Siovas

9 Koulouris

10 Fortounis

11 Mitroglou

15 Torosidis

16 Kourbelis

18 Pelkas

20 Mantalos

23 Koutris

Manager: Angelos Anastasiadis(GRE)

ESTONIA

12 Lepmets(GK)

2 Kams(Captain)

4 Tamm

5 Vihmann

10 Zenjov

13 Lepistu

15 Sappinen

17 Luts

19 Kallaste

20 Dmitrijev

21 Baranov

BENCH

1 Aksalu(GK)

22 Meerits(GK)

3 Pikk

6 Kaljumae

7 Puri

9 Purje

11 Ojamaa

14 Vassiljev

16 Antonov

18 Artjunin

23 Teniste

Manager: Martin Reim(EST)

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

No, no, it is not that scary. There are six pots. San Marino and the likes (Position 51-55) are in the last pot. Pot 5 contains League D teams (but only runner-ups and third-place teams). The group winners of League D and the shittier teams in League C are placed in Pot 4.

Ill copy the principles from the Agonasport website:

Pot 1: Teams ranked 1–10 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The 10 best League A teams)

Pot 2: Teams ranked 11–20 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The two remaining ranked League A teams; The eight best ranked League B teams)

Pot 3: Teams ranked 21–30 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The four remaining ranked League B teams; The six best ranked League C Teams (group winners in League C and the two best runner-ups - LM)

Pot 4: Teams ranked 31–40 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The nine remaining League C teams (the rest of League C - LM; The top ranked League D team)

Pot 5: Teams ranked 41–50 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The League D teams ranked 2nd-11th)

Pot 6: Teams ranked 51–55 in UEFA Nations League overall rankings (The remaining League D teams)

The runner-ups are a special case. In Group 1 there are only three teams (Israel Scotland Albania). That means results against fourth-placed teams in the other three groups do not count. We have 6 points from four games against Hungry and Finland (this cannot change). Israel and Scotland have 6-6 points, and they will play against one another. In Group C, Slovenia is the fourth-placed team. Both Norway and Bulgaria have 10 points. If Norway will be second, they will lose four points (because of the Slovenia games); Bulgaria has already seven points from the games against Norway and Cyprus. That means if they will be runner-up they would be stronger than us (7 points versus 6). In Group 4, Lithuania is the last. Romania has now 9 points, Montenegro 7. If Romania beats Montenegro, they will be second (in all probability) with 12 points - 6 points (Lithuania games) = 6 points. If it will be a draw, Romania will have only 10 points, if Montenegro will win, theyll be second team with ten points. In both of the latter cases, the runner-up of Group 4 will be weaker than Greece. The problem is that Norway/Bulgaria and Israel/Scotland can easily scoop the two top runner-up places.

Edited by La Mendel

1 hour ago, Torontoblue said:

No way we can finish 2nd in a group when we are coming from pot 4.

I tried to figure out yesterday which teams will be in Pot 2. Island Bosnia Austria Czech Republic/Slovakia, Ukraine will be there too. These teams are strong but not powerhouses. If Germany will be placed eventually in Pot 2, that will be more dangerous. Pot Three will contain the relegated League B teams (Northern Ireland, Turkey and the likes) and the group winners (Finland Serbia? etc.) from League C. Its not impossible though it may be difficult.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic