Phantis Forums

Europa Play-Offs PAO-Qabala 2nd leg 27/08/2015 21:00

I had to work so I missed the game. We kinda knew this team wasn't ready for the CL. It's the reality given the finances. Brugge has 3-5 times the budget we have. Now it's absolutely essential we beat the next euro team to qualify for the Europa.  The team cannot afford to go home this early. Otherwise, I can see selling Karelis, even Berg, and set the sights for a decent show in the domestic league only.

Damn it. I hoped we could advance against Brugge so at least we had the Europa secured. :(

Offcourse we were unlucky but brugge are a much better rounded side.

Bad defending on the first goal, we said before the game that we need to be faultless at the back but it seems this side always has the potential to concede. It's become a trait.

Our attack was off, we only really attacked from the flanks because we lack quality in the middle of the park. I expressed my concerns time and time again about the midfield, we need signings.

Overal we haven't improved from last year. Also none of our signings really helped us over the two legs.

Thats not How I see it. You attacked from the flank coz in the middle the only thing u had was 2

I will also add that in the transfer forum, i commented on the lack of wingers in our squad which means anastasiou couldn't change to a 4-2-3-1 which is a great system for our group of players. The system today required more complete midfielders. The likes of basinas and karagounis, katsouranis(04).

I don't think we deserved to lose 3-0 ,I though the game plan was good ,until the goal they didn't really threaten us at all,and we had our moments going forward.

but in sport sometimes things can go pear shape out of nowhere and that's what happened.

kotsolis should never have started,and paying big bucks for an injured  star player who was sitting in the stands twiddling his thumbs has backfired on us,if that money was spent on an able body player who could of been out on the field ,we might be singing a dfirent tune now.

again brugge did not deserve the 3-0,the only thing they were better than us at was diving.

Belgium hoodoo continues.

Not sure why Kaltzas we not in the 18 but his speed could of help on that right side.

I know its early but the reason we signed some players were for these type of games

Essein hurt

Sanchez suspended 

Kaltzas didn't make the 18

Lod played but not showing much so far in the 2 European games

Wemmer so far our best signings SO FAR EPAME!.

THelander Hurt

One way or another, none of them helped. At least brugge had their new guy vanaken terrorise us in the first 20 min at leoforo.

kotsolis should never have started,and paying big bucks for an injured  star player who was sitting in the stands twiddling his thumbs has backfired on us,if that money was spent on an able body player who could of been out on the field ,we might be singing a dfirent tune now.

Kotsolis performed well enough.

I agree about the spending on essien. Even if he was on the pitch, whilst i think his presence would've been a boost for his teamates, i don't think he would've corrected the lack of balance in the midfield. This money needed to go to a more attacking player.

Why are Greek teams such a let down in Europe!!! Especially away from home!! Brugge are s%$#!!!! And we always lose to s%$#! goals! At least play well and then we can say we tried! It's like we are scared to win!

Why are Greek teams such a let down in Europe!!! Especially away from home!! Brugge are ###### s%$#!!!! And we always lose to s%$#! goals! At least play well and then we can say we tried! It's like we are scared to win!

I think all the above = our teams are sh*t

When you are struggling financially, with the only exception being Oly, you can't really expect a lot.

I really wanna say what

I think but I'll end up writing an essay totally disgusted and cannot watch panathinaikos like this. In perfect epoxes Brugge would be cannon fodder for us imaste polli ligoi

Edited by Spirtto13

Disappointing is an understatement.

You guys are correct that the team with the exception of Berg, possibly 1 or 2 others is low quality for European standards.

Anastasiou has not set the team up to be effective. Not only last night but last week too.

In more positive news, you will qualify for the Europa.

For the miserable ones up the back... PAO WILL PLAY EUROPA THIS YEAR!!!!

When you don't have the financial muscle to compete at a higher level you normally should try to build a team from the defense up and not the other way around.

Don't have the defensive base to be focused and solid enough to go to Brugges and get a result. At some point you just knew the team would concede a stupid goal and it did.

I think our ownership and coaches underestimated the apparent weaknesses on this team and did not address them correctly. Shame really cause Brugges wasn't anything special. Golden opportunity blown here.

Edited by Greekaus
  • Like it 1

Why are Greek teams such a let down in Europe!!! Especially away from home!! Brugge are ###### s%$#!!!! And we always lose to s%$#! goals! At least play well and then we can say we tried! It's like we are scared to win!

The quality is dropping year by year. Next time you watch a greek team play focus on their ball retention and count how long before they lose the ball (ethniki also). In the local derbies the ball moves like a pinball because there is no one to keep the ball.

Brugge were nothing special offcourse, but they scored three goals despite creating so little. Greek teams have been never known to do this.

Frustrating to watch!!! Promised so much, delivered so little. Another good chance blown. Never imagined a 3-0 loss. Anastasiou got it completely wrong with tactics and formation.

Tactics wise yes, not enough balance. When you lack complete midfielders, you usually opt for a 4-2-3-1. The only way we were going to progress was by not conceding but that seems impossible for this side. Anastasiou said it himself that we have to score but at the same time didn't give us the best chance of doing so.

Disappointing is an understatement.

You guys are correct that the team with the exception of Berg, possibly 1 or 2 others is low quality for European standards.

We have been saying a long time that we needed to find a berg for the midfield and defense. Now i'm not sure if sanchez is of that quality, but we definitely didn't find a player of this nature for the midfield. Aja, donis, ninis, zeca, lagos, koutro etc none of these guys offer the quality we require.

For the record, this team plays it's best football in the second half of the season and continues to perform up to the climax of the season. This is more a result of our fitness levels not to mention finding the right mix as anastasiou did with petric last season. Also we are not playing in europe around this time.

When you don't have the financial muscle to compete at a higher level you normally should try to build a team from the defense up and not the other way around.

Don't have the defensive base to be focused and solid enough to go to Brugges and get a result. At some point you just knew the team would concede a stupid goal and it did.

I think our ownership and coaches underestimated the apparent weaknesses on this team and did not address them correctly. Shame really cause Brugges wasn't anything special. Golden opportunity blown here.

Very well said.

In the past we were built from the back up. It's the first rule of thumb for europe. Second, your midfield tends to determine the quality of your side and again in the past, we were competitive. Generally the only criticism for previous sides, was the lack of proficiency in front of goal but through perseverance, we would usually get the goal. Whilst this current side is arguably more lethal with berg up front, we lack the more important fundaments to succeed at this level.

• Like it 1

One of the better chances we had to get near the CL. But the reality is there's not enough $$ to compete with the wealthier clubs in Europe. The top elite, 6-8 clubs, then there's the second tier of maybe another half a dozen, and the rest are the ..extras to fill the movie scene.

The money is astronomical nowadays and the gap is getting bigger. Hard to compete with others when you don't have the money plus a crappy domestic league. In many ways, if your competition gets better you look weaker.

Too bad that PAO didn't beat Brugge, but the Belgians although didn't show anything special have a much higher budget, better overall squad. I'll be happy if PAO becomes a serious club in the Europa league and starts kicking ass domestically.

• Like it 2

Very well said.

In the past we were built from the back up. It's the first rule of thumb for europe. Second, your midfield tends to determine the quality of your side and again in the past, we were competitive. Generally the only criticism for previous sides, was the lack of proficiency in front of goal but through perseverance, we would usually get the goal. Whilst this current side is arguably more lethal with berg up front, we lack the more important fundaments to succeed at this level.

Correct to a certain extent

We did top a CL group with a defence of sarriegi, goumas, spyropoulos and Gabriel..

We still have essien to add some extra defensive measure in the midfield too.

Everyone needs to chill the F*** out on the forums, it's quite absurd how quickly some of you turn on pao.

• Like it 3