Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I dont think K.Papadopoulos will cut it in DM i know he had 1 good game against Hungary but that does not mean we play him there. We need players who can distribute the ball like the way Katsouranis, Tziolis, Fotakis, Karagounis, Basinas, Zagorakis and Tsiartas have.

We also need a real number 10, Lazaros is not the person for this position im talking about players like Ninis, Mantalos and Fortounis.

For 6 and 8 positions i think Samaris and Tachtsidis will be the next two players in a midfield that will be given the 'torch' by the players mentioned before the next 5-10 years.

We are gifted in central defenders we have good depth although we do have a problem with our full backs there Torosidis is ageing and Stafylidis is not ready but will be soon with more expirience, but upfront we havent got that world class striker for eg. Cavani, Suarez, Benzema, Falcao. We have mediocre  strikers like Mitroglou, Klaus, Aravidis, Vellios, Gekas. In the next games we need to play the striker that is in form scoring few goals players and first preference goes to those who are playing in top leagues. The wingers have to be for now Samaras and Karelis. 

The Goalkeeper has to be for now Karnezis if he is not living up to expectations we have Kapino and Vellidis as back ups.

To sum everything up we need to find a balance of inform players and players suitable for our formation system. Even if its putting older players, in to balance the system out and slowly putting the next generation of players in for their place and so on. We need to win games like we did in qualifying with Rehaggel and Santos and keep the same system they used and try to expand on it slowly. We need more friendly matches and better training methods and stick to our defence first mentality and counter attacking football.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

Im also finding it hard there is not one player that is like Karagounis i saw a glimpse of Tachtsidis in the Poland match hustling and fighting for the ball but thats about it. Kyriakos is going to lead and lift the team if he is playing because of his passion and aggression. He is the only one who comes close to Karsgounis

Im also finding it hard there is not one player that is like Karagounis i saw a glimpse of Tachtsidis in the Poland match hustling and fighting for the ball but thats about it. Kyriakos is going to lead and lift the team if he is playing because of his passion and aggression. He is the only one who comes close to Karagounis and therefore he needs to play but not midfield. Its going to be hard to choose between Manolas and Kyriakos.

this would be my team....

Karnezis                                                                                       Kapino

Torosidis K.Papadopoulos Sokratis   Holebas                             Bakakis   Manolas       Moras     Stafylidis

Tachtsidis                                                                             Samaris      Tziolis

Fortounis           Maniatis                                                                          Ninis       

Karelis                 Aravidis                Samaras                                Fetfatzidis         Mitroglou            Kaltsas 

other options: 

Mantalos Oikonomou Kone Lazaros Vellidis Glykos Klaus 

These players should be the core, ill do another team on the next generation see what you think.

i also dont understand how the veterans in Santos era did so well in not conceding when you think about it speed and strength and being younger should make you more capable of keeping a clean sheet because you can keep up with the game. Unlike Katsouranis who cant keep up with the game since post euro 2012. Like i said the system worked and we need to find replacements for Salpingidis, Karagounis, Katsouranis and so on. I believe we need to find players that have similar characteristics and playing styles to those players and go back to the old system of defence first..... 

Eg. Salpingidis=Mavrias/Karelis

Katsouranis= Samaris

Karagounis= ??? there is know one like him maybe maybe Kone thats about it.

I'd do something like this. There was a study done on form. Essentially, everyone has hot streaks because of inherent randomness of the game.

Over time though, the strike ratio per say remains the same. 

Quality > Form.

Karnezis

- kpaps - sokratis

holebas                                    - torosidis

samaris -

tachtsi

Ninis

Fetfta                                     Karelis

Mitroglou

Subs

Kapino

Manolas 

Kone

Maniatis

Samaras

Fortounis

Klaus

Note

** If we didn't get wiped out for qualifying Euro 2016, I'd actually stick in Katsouranis for Tachtisidis as captain for one last tournament. This is what Santos would have likely done, as well. **

• Like it 1

Mitroglou was 2nd in the superleague @ 16 goals.

He scored against athletico madrid in Olympiakos victory. Was a def threat in champions league.

It was his second most productive season in terms of goals this year.

He scored a goal against the Faroes that was disallowed because of non-related play

That goal, might have totally changed the swing of Greece's euro.

Karellis should definitely be in the lineup because he's a hybrid striker/winger.

Perfect for our system of counter-attack & to pickup the slack for Mitro.

They compliment each other.

& Ninis plays well with both of them.

Mitroglou is good until after World Cup.

UNLESS someone makes a huge splash.

Which I don't see. But the game can have surprises ;)

As mentioned in a previous post, can V Torotsidis make a career move to DM? His experience and feisty nature would suit this. His crosses to the penalty box are substandard, sorry, although, he has many other good attributes. This way K Paps can be a gun CB again.

Edited by ausgreek

I don't have a great knowledge of Mitroglou's allround game, but would he be a different player if the midfield set him up with more chances, therefore, Klaus or anyone else looking better too?

What I do get is that he is a real sharp shooter, he doesn't want to create much or be too involved in movements. Does a typical stricker get involved in too many anyway, cause he would be reliant on being set up. No? Our midfield is more than likely our Achilles heal for a long time.

Thats why i think we should change it up and play Torosidis there for a change if that doesn't work put a midfield combo of Katsouranis Ninis and Maniatis. As you see this midfield gives a balance of experience, creativity and stamina. I set that in order. I beileve if we want to go back to our old system we need to have Maniatis there doing the defensive work. 

Edited by Dean97

Forget Torosidis I think we need to move Holebas up to midfield. I still remember that run he went on where he took the ball passed several players before having a shot (can't remember who it was against though, lol). He has the aggression and desire to be a cracking midfielder, plus he'd be unshackled from defensive duties, which lets face it, he's useless at. 

I don't have a great knowledge of Mitroglou's allround game, but would he be a different player if the midfield set him up with more chances, therefore, Klaus or anyone else looking better too?

What I do get is that he is a real sharp shooter, he doesn't want to create much or be too involved in movements. Does a typical stricker get involved in too many anyway, cause he would be reliant on being set up. No? Our midfield is more than likely our Achilles heal for a long time.

Mitroglou is trash, but yes, our midfield is the problem. Doesn't matter who you put as striker, they will all fail as long as the team can't string more than two passes together. But people here would rather blame Mitroglou/Gekas/Klaus/Samaras than our vaunted Samaris/Tachtsidis/Mantalos/Fortounis boys.

Holebas is also garbage, especially as LB. Move him up forward and let him dribble, we'll all be happier for it.

• Like it 1

Considering the fact that Salpi will most likely be getting the start upfront for paok in a 4-2-3-1 until the situation with Lucas and Peyrera gets sorted out, I say we wait and see what he's got left. He's looked impressive in Paoks preseason and he always comes in clutch for the ethniki. Even if it's just for leadership or a model for Karelis and our other younger options, we need someone like salpi who we know won't miss chances like mitroglou and also help defensively. Give him one final opportunity to create a little more magic for us. HELLAS!!

I heard some people say that you cant play Tachtsidis and Samaris in the same line up as the statistics show:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/andreas-samaris/nationalmannschaft/spieler/140032

http://www.transfermarkt.com/panagiotis-tachtsidis/nationalmannschaft/spieler/62415

in summary the both game that Samaris played he started and played 90 minutes against the Faroes and lost, he also the one that assisted Karelis goal against Finland. He scored against Ivory Coast coming off the bench. So thats 1 negative and 2 positive the rest of the games he was very average.

Tachtsidis debut match agianst in Ireland in 2012 (Friendly) played 90 minutes and the team did not concede. Also 90 minutes against Austria in a friendly and the team did not concede. played 90 minutes against Northern Ireland and the team conceded 2 goals. Played 90 minutes against an inform Poland team and the match ended 0-0. 

Now when they both played 90 minutes and started in the same game against Romania, Finland the team concede 2 goals 1 in the Romania one and one in the Finland. To finish off i believe Samaris has contributed more on big occasions for the Ethniki. While Tachtsidis in the team did well in conceding less in less important matches like Friendlies. So i believe its important that CM or DM play a big role in helping defensively. Its indecisive of who should start or sit on the bench next game or if they should play in the same line up. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Dean97

Is it fair to say, at DM, it is out of K Paps, Tachtsidis or Lagos. At CM, it is out of Samaris, Maniatis or Kone. At AM, it is out of Ninis, Kone, or a Very outside chance of Fortounis. Mantalos injured? So, the midfield, in Serge's eyes would be K Paps, Samaris and Ninis. I would prefer Kyriak at CB, in place of Manolas.

A Defensive midfielder should be good at tackling heading passing marking and reading the game. An Attacking mid should have great vision, passing shooting dribbling setting up play. A Central midfielder does all the of the above and must run a lot which you need to have amazing stamina. In my opinion you need to be strong off and on the ball in any position. I believe Samaris is the closest to having everything.  I also believe when he is inform Ninis is a perfect Attacking MId. 

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how good Petsos player really is, is he worthy to be in the Ethniki Samaris is not living up to it no matter what the reason is. When people talking about rebuilding do you mean bring in new players with no expirience because in my opinion players like Korovesis and Charisis are 2 players to look out for and also like to see a possible replacement for Torosidis. Samaras should be given another go aswell as Salpingidis. Katsouranis shoud have not been near the team after Euro 2012. He should have left like Lymberopoulos and Chalkias did. 

Also i like to see a new midfield with Maniatis leading it i know what people are going to say but if you look the things he did in the World Cup such as tackling running. I believe he had a better tournament of 2014 than 2012 (Euro) Kone and Lazaros should not be out of the picture but they should not start.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic