Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos-Roma

pao123

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we don't have the "perfect" team. Doesn't mean we can't beat them and advance. What we have is a strong midfield.

the minute any team gets past our midfielders, the defence is a heart attack waiting to happen. They may be good enough for the Greek league, but this is where not getting a top class back will hurt us. I hope im wrong

I agree with NYPAO13, I see:

PAO 1-1 Roma

Roma 3-1 PAO :(

Thats pretty realistic within the realm of optimism.

Rome really are the far superior team right now. They're the hottest team in Italy and are the most serious competition for Inter right now.

We've less a chance than we did with Atletico. Rest Cisse/Gilberto is the smartest thing the club could do. We need to beat PAOK, not waste our energy when well were well favoured to lose with this horsecrap European defense especially to Roma even if we played full out for the win.

I agree with NYPAO13, I see:

PAO 1-1 Roma

Roma 3-1 PAO :(

Thats pretty realistic within the realm of optimism.

Rome really are the far superior team right now. They're the hottest team in Italy and are the most serious competition for Inter right now.

We've less a chance than we did with Atletico. Rest Cisse/Gilberto is the smartest thing the club could do. We need to beat PAOK, not waste our energy when well were well favoured to lose with this horsecrap European defense especially to Roma even if we played full out for the win.

This Roma team is very good, but PAO proved against Inter, Werder and Villareal last year that we can compete with top teams when we are at our best. We clearly have a weakness defending counter-attacks, mainly because our midfielders are either too slow when tracking midfield runners (Karagounis) or too lazy (Katsouranis). Counter-attacks destroyed us against Galata and swift breaks/counters killed us at home to Atletico. We have to keep it tight but also work hard to be competitive. Roma are good but Mexes is a doubt, Toni is out and Totti is also a doubt. They are not unbeatable.

I still think we'll lose but having thought long and hard about this game I now think we'll lose 1-2 tomorrow. This is because I can't imagine Katsouranis increasing the tempo of his game. Cisse is still still s%$#! against strong opposition and our defence is still all over the place. We can't just give up though. Let's give everything tomorrow. If we lose then we can rest players for the 2nd leg.

PAO can do well against Italian teams, but I just don't think we are euro-caliber this season, so we better concentrate on the domestic league, win 2 titles and satisfy the fans.

It doesn't work like this, but I'd trade a win on Roma with a win over gavroi. PAOK is our next game. We must win there. I would even say that management and players are thinking of how not to lose the Greek title and not about a decent euro run.

PAO needs to maintain the lead in domestic league and capture the title. This will do wonders for the team and the fans. One more stage in the Europa won't do as good.

I don't care who plays and who doesn't - all I care about is a good performance. Against Atletico we looked like a team with little or no faith. I just won't stand another 'oh well, they 're better and we 're after the championship anyway' performance. There's no 'either Roma or PAOK' dilemma in my mind. Big clubs should have the right people to figure these things out and do both right. Even if they don't win in the end.

yes titus, but its just true in this case. Roma are a better team. Theyre tearing it up in Italy, were slumping in Greece. They're squad is stacked way higher than ours.

And right now, title really is important. Could you seriously imagine after so far NOT winning the title this season---AGAIN!? Its too dissapointing to even imagine. F*** europa league, were not going anywhere in it anyways.

Also, PAOK is a much more important European Game.

1st place in the league gives us automatic berth into the CL. 2nd place puts usinto the qualifyers of death again. Why waste our manpower over a game with Roma that weve got little to no chance and basically nothing to gain???

Id rather have a title and a CL spot over wasting time and manpower for a clearly superior Roma side, which IF we win we'll 99% just get eliminated later anyways, and cause more distractions from the league from us.

I am not a believer in "resting" players and choosing games. I think momentum is an important factor in winning and I want our team to go out swinging in every game. Complacency and choosing games can be a dangerous affair (as we have found out so often).

The game against Roma is very important for us not only because we play a top-form European club, but also because we can't shun our chances to advance to the next round, but also because we can't afford another embarrassment before our big game with PAOK.

I think professional players can play at high level in back to back games and they can keep themselves in top form only if they do, especially if they win.

I want to see our top talent on the pitch against Roma, and I want to see them again three days later against PAOK. Clever substitutions can keep the ones who get winded easily (karagounis, Ninis, Katsouranis) fresh, but I don't like the idea of keeping them on the bench for later. Let them play from the start to give our team a better chance of winning and then pull them in the last 20 minutes to rest if possible.

Anyway, Gilberto is out from this one as well so I see Simao, Katsourani, Karagouni for sure, and maybe Ninis instead of Salpi in midfield.

Roma is not going to play 10 behind the ball like Kavala did so we should be able to find some space to score one or two. Keeping them from scoring would be key.

I can't wait!

I also think that at this point the players should be in top shape and should handle these 2 games.

I also believe that a good performance against Roma will boost our chances of beating PAOK. Momentum and good psychology always is a good thing.

For f ucks sake why is it one or the other? Get behind the team so they can go in there and kick some ass tomorrow!!

Its one or the other because players are the resources teams need. Every game they spend their energy, strain injuries and put them at risk for other games. So in a match which is of pracitally no useful gain, with so much at stake in the next match, there IS risk we don't have to be taking. I simply beleive theres more to lose than there is to gain in this match. Thats why I'd be totally ok with Cisse/Gilberto sitting out. So what if we do beat Roma? Then what? We strain ourselves to get another result in extremely difficult Rome, and then go to the 2nd playoff of the Europa League which PAO is not realistically just not capable/worthy of going far in this year.

That PAOK game is the biggest game of the season. We have to win, and set the momentum for the rest of the season, and also just to hold on to a

decreasing lead. vs OSFP we just need not to lose, and its extremley likely we wont lose in a full OAKA.

Enough of the get behind the team your not a true fan crap. I fully support PAO to reach its objectives, and we simply disagree on how the team will best accomplish them.

I want the title and Champions League more than anything. Europa League is just mere entertainment, an exhibition in my mind.

I am not a believer in "resting" players and choosing games. I think momentum is an important factor in winning and I want our team to go out swinging in every game. Complacency and choosing games can be a dangerous affair (as we have found out so often).

Amen! Unless a player is hurt, it is much much better that he plays in the big matches and gets going. And the same applies to teams: you can't get run ragged by Roma at home with 60,000 fans on your side and then switch to winner mode and devour PAOK at Toumba. I really think this much should be obvious.

I hope pao plays with real football heart today, i dont want them to give up and not bother playing, i agree with an inspired performance we can win elivate the moral for the big match in toumba.

i wont bother with a prediction, i never get them rright anyway

I think PAO should play for ancient pride, athenians vs romans, doesnt get better than that

Archived