Phantis Forums

Kavala - PAO (for the cup)

cyberfish

As if our schedule was not brutal enough playing twice per week against teams like Werder and Olympiakos, the lads have to travel to Kavala for our first "HOL Cup" contest.

Since on Saturday we have a tough game in Larissa that we must win, it was expected that the lineup against Kavala will be made up by players who have seen little action in the previous weeks.

The following players make up the squad:

Tzorvas, Karnezis, Goumas, Melissis, Tziolis, Spyropoulos, Sariegi, Mattos, Ninis, Siontis, Christodoulopoulos, Salpigidis, Cleyton, Ivanschitz, Roukavina, Petropoulos, Pantidos, Samios.

Karagounis and Moon are injured while the rest will get a breather. Notable is the elimination from the squad of Sousa. Either Ten Cate is resting him for the game against Larissa, or he has seen enough to lose confidence in him.

ill be pleased with a 1-0 win.. these games are not the ones you showcase ability... unless its 3 or 4-0 at halftime...

Winning an easy game is what matters. Get the quick lead.. defend the scoreline and counter in afew chances for a second or third goal... Dont kill yourself ahead of Larisa, Inter, Tripoli and Anorthosis.

I hope the players take the game seriously.

Didn't we get eliminated in Crete a few years back by a small team (who were they, i can't remember)? Olympiakos got eliminated by Giannena a couple of years ago, and this year they squeaked by Diagoras with a late goal.

It's not as easy for players to find much motivation for such games, and since the lineup will be completely new it wont' be as easy as we hope.

I do like this cup format. It gives some small towns the opportunity to see the "big" teams and gives them a chance to have a little hope. If you've ever been in a small town when PAO or Olympiakos comes to play you know the amount of excitement that's generated.

You know my prediction though...

yea but they did only face 1, PAO in final and PAO play like crap and if i remember correctly they scored a winning goal that was either offside or a complete f*** up by vintra....cant remember as it was 0500 in my country but it was ridiculous

i too agree that some teams should be left out, ie if you play in europe you cant be in it....either way PAO will win 1-0

I think the big teams should be eliminated or not be part of the cup. Let the others have something to shoot for because in Greece only 2-3 teams get all the titles.

Larisa won once, PAOK won a few years ago and Aris has been in finals...I think its doing fine really......I think the cup will get more competitive as the smaller teams like Panionios and PAOK, Ksanthi grow in quality and consistency (compared to before)

To be fair they do leave out teams that are playing in europe, afterwards. If the top finishing 3 teams are already in europe, the 4th gets the UEFA spot...

Tzorvas has been all over the place....Kavala deserved a goal for sure they had some big chances, but Tzorvas denied them on every one and played them safe too. Man of the match IMO....

Salpiggidis has been very poor today, he cant finish at all.....3 must-score chances missed anf a few others just opposite direction......lets hope his scoring touch returnst though..

Look, I'm always happy when my team wins. What I said about the cup was that (and thank you Pao or Death for the suggestion) eventhough OCCASIONALLY some smaller team wins the cup, it's not the norm and it's not good for the sport. The bigger clubs aren't excited about this and the smaller clubs know the long odds of actually winning the cup...

Yes, those who finish in the top 3-4 spots in the league or those who participate in euro cups shouldn't be eligible to play in the domestic cup. Let the smaller teams have something greater to shoot for. That would be a great motivator, because as we know once a team gets in the top league there are no titles available...

Guys, that's the reality in Greece. Yes, a few clubs can get to an UEFA spot, but it's nice to win a title once in a while. The cup can serve this purpose.

Anyway, as for the game, I'm happy to see Tzorvas do very well. If he learns how & when to come out of his goalposts, he'll be one of the greatest keepers.

What the heck was that?

I came home from work and watched the game just to find out in the end that my teeth are 1mm shorter from all the grinding. :LOL:

It's nice that we won, but these reserves didn't make a good case for themselves. And check out some of these "reserve" names: Goumas, Mattos, Ivanschitz, Salpigidis, Roukavina, Ninis.

Tzorvas was simply amazing, but all the rest were in la la land. Roukavina scored twice and gave one assist, and Salpi ended with two assists and at least 4 sitters my grandma would had made blindfolded.

We were lucky Kavala were unlucky. They simply pushed this PAO team around mostly because our wings were atrocious. Siontis was saved by his substitution because had we lost this game his young career would have been going in reverse. He had no clue where he was on the field. Sure he is young and he never played the position so we'll give him a break. Melissis though? How can a 2m CB jump in his penalty spot for a header and miss the ball entirely when he is all alone? How can he lose Kavala's players so many times? Come on! I'll have flat teeth if this continues :LOL:

The good news is that we won and by tomorrow no one will remember this one so on we go, but I have to say I am beginning to lose faith in some of these reserves.

also this game defensivley made some points...... like

Melissis is pretty awful afterall. Its no longer a curiosity really why hes barley tried. 2 million euros btw :LOL:

as for Tzorvas, Cyber, its not fair that hes judged his whole abiltity on that one mistake with Iraklis....I mean other than that he has been quite a special goalkeeper, especially with Werder Bremen in OAKA and last night he was a standout, very solid.....but for the moment, I prefer Galinovic still..... But Tzorvas should be the next NT keeper after Xalkias is done, or if Xalkias starts turning into a Nikopolidis.....

and we didnt have the greatest game in the back, but we also missed a ton up front too....from Salpiggidis 4 sitters, even Rukavina scaffed one in front of an empty net, and Tziolis had a great effort stopped too.....i think if teams could finish and Tzorvas had not been so sharp it would have ended 5-2 or 6-2 PAO :rolleyes:

You know I really can't complain about this game; Kavala were well organized and and played really well, better than we did for a good part of the game. I think TC made good choices with the players; he wanted to break in some of the younger guys but keep enough experienced players. There was no way we could have put in a great performance. Ivan and Ninis are coming off injuries plus the younger guys needed to play. But they put in an effort, and thats what counts in this circumstance. Tzorvas, who I think is the man of the match, not only saved us but put in a fine performance, really proved himself and showed that he's the one to watch for in the NT.

Archived