Phantis Forums

PAO's New Coach: Ten Kate

NYPAO13

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a note: the PAO reporter on Sport-Fm (Nikologiannis) insists that 1) PAO have not confirmed the deal and 2) they deny that they would offer more than 2.5 mil to anybody for the manager position. It was agreed that the maximum wage would be 2 mil. Of course, Laudrupp's agent didn't mention any figures but this is just sthing to think about.

last night i was confident of this - and very happy as well

but now the more i think about it and the fact that no one from the pae has confirmed this only our club can stuff this up from here on and still get some reject like fernandez

maybe their think laudrup is an expensive solution and waiting to see if they can bring the other coaches wages down during negotiations

who knows but when it comes to pao and signing coaches/players ANYTHING is possible

:(

the only think official is

apparently an official offer has been made to laudrup

then they met fernandez (if im to believe reports) and this guy acording to some papers has said he can bring 4 players of similar class to pablo aimar

then last nite they met ten kate (or however u spell his name) who was avraam grants assistant coach at chelsea

and also a german coach, skimbe (again however you spell his name) is in athens ready to meet our representatives in athens (apparently he was in greece on holidays)

i dont know what they are waiting on etc but whats scarier is nikos pateras said he is receiving updates on each coach antoniou meets and according to these reports he will decide on the new coach

but if they made an offer to laudrup why are they meeting at least 4 other coaches

i cant understand this

i think they are either waiting for which coach accepts the cheapest salary LOL

i have no idea about him either drakos

was going to ask same thing

i have a feeling that they chose ten cate over laudrup more for financial reasons though (i had read somewhere that ten cate demands were less than laudrups - possibly on sport dog yesterday)

assistant to grant at chelsea last yr

assistant to rijkaard at barca between 2003-2006

and was manager of ajax one season and if i remember correctly lost the title at ajax on goal difference

the worst thing is he was responsible for ajax getting knocked out in 2006 of cl qualification to copenhagen and then again last season to slavia prague

have a read

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=439738

i have mixed feelings so far

papers say Ten Cate coming to Athens to sign papers....its most likley going to be him, but not official.

any thouhgts on this? im not sure if i should be worried or happy about having Ten Cate.....

he has a decent resume, but at the same time he's a fireable coach

whereas Laudrups would have been difficult to get rid of with any success. I hope im wrong but he doesnt seem to be a long term coach, but then again nobody is :whistle:

I don't know much about Ten Cate or Loundroup so I dont' have an opinion. Either one would be fine with me and I don't understand why certain reports seem to rate Loundroup so high.

Just as I was thinking that the name Ten Cate reminds me of karate terminology, I read this article Why Henk Ten Cate is dubbed 'The Volcano'

From the article:

ven Ten Cate himself once said: "Chairmen don't take me to a club to make friends, they take me to win matches. So when I'm the coach, I take it to the limits. Be sure, I will be the boss."

and

He had private troubles with our team manager, Cor Bloks, and with the physiotherapist, Jan Lukx.

"Things got so bad that one day there was even a fight between Ten Cate and the manager in the club car park.

"Lukx was affected so badly by the constant rows and aggression that we had to send him for psychiatric help. He was still receiving help two years after Ten Cate left."

The relationship between Ten Cate and the Breda players was no better.

Midfielder Jeffrey van As admitted: "On the pitch there's no better coach than Ten Cate but, socially, he fights on every front.

"When I said something in the newspaper about the treatment of the physiotherapist, he came in the next day and threw the paper in my face. He said to me: 'F*** off and go join your friend!'"

It sounds like he will fit like a glove in the Greek SuperLeague. We have to try a manager who sends psychotherapists for psychiatric help :LOL:

PS: Too bad we released Gonzales :LOL:

ill explain the history of ten cate for those who are curious (i just finished a HUGE proposal so i finally have some time to mess around :D :D )

Go Ahead Eagles was his first job and could not secure promotion, he then failed at Heracles..Later he moved to Rotterdam where he had a slightly succesful spell but not great...he then managed a low level team in Germany before moving to MTK in Hungary where he won the cup but lost the league..he went back to NAC Breda where he lead them to the UEFA CUP...he then went to be the assistant at Barca where he had major success but as an ASSISTANT coach...apparenlty he was highly influential at Barca and added the spark to the team that Rijkaard was missing...he then went to Ajax which was the first MAJOR club he managed by himself..he won the cup and the super cup there but lost the championship by goal difference..he then went as the assistant coach to Chelsea ..from that point on we all know...

so pretty much it is a grab bag of whether he will succeed or not...he has alot of experiene but not much experience being the only manager at a big club..as an assistant he faces much less pressure so it is hard to judge...im not sure if he will be able to take all the pressure from the fans and the press...the climate in greece is very different then in england and holland and ten cate is known to having a volitile personality...as a head coach he never saw very much success...also it is imprtant to note tha the only major team he managed as a head coach was AJAX for one year....

I don't know much about Ten Cate or Loundroup so I dont' have an opinion. Either one would be fine with me and I don't understand why certain reports seem to rate Loundroup so high.

Just as I was thinking that the name Ten Cate reminds me of karate terminology, I read this article Why Henk Ten Cate is dubbed 'The Volcano'

From the article:

and

He had private troubles with our team manager, Cor Bloks, and with the physiotherapist, Jan Lukx.

"Things got so bad that one day there was even a fight between Ten Cate and the manager in the club car park.

"Lukx was affected so badly by the constant rows and aggression that we had to send him for psychiatric help. He was still receiving help two years after Ten Cate left."

The relationship between Ten Cate and the Breda players was no better.

Midfielder Jeffrey van As admitted: "On the pitch there's no better coach than Ten Cate but, socially, he fights on every front.

"When I said something in the newspaper about the treatment of the physiotherapist, he came in the next day and threw the paper in my face. He said to me: 'F*** off and go join your friend!'"

It sounds like he will fit like a glove in the Greek SuperLeague. We have to try a manager who sends psychotherapists for psychiatric help :LOL:

PS: Too bad we released Gonzales :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

He also had a big bust up with John Terry at Chelsea who is considered by every other manager to be a consummate professional, which suggests that he isn't just demanding (like Alex Fergusen), he's just volatile! Having said that Ten Cate knows his football... although the only top club he's managed is Ajax, as Pao123 has highlighted, he's also been around and knows his football. It's a well known fact that Avraam Grant is strictly a manager, the coaching at Chelsea was carried out by Cate. And since Cate left, look at how Barca's quality has fallen. He knows his s%$#! and should be PAO's first choice.

I like Laudrup, he's a good young manager and his run in the UEFA Cup this year has gained him respect. But he's inexperienced and attaining his services will be a risk. This idea that he's the perfect manager all of a sudden is ridiculous.

Either way, PAO seems to be making great moves.

What's the news on Ivan? Is he being offered a new contract? If so when?

What's the news on Ivan? Is he being offered a new contract? If so when?

Ivanschitz loan with PAO has expired, and now Salzbourg has to decide if they want him back (it does not seem like they do) or where to sell him. As far as I understand, Ivanschitz right now is a Saltzbourg player even if Greek meadia treat it as if Panathinaikos has any pull in the matter.

Panathinaikos has made an offer to Saltzbourg for Ivanschitz. I am not sure what the details are, but Salzbourg holds all the cards and they seem to be waiting for the EURO to conclude before they decide. They hope to get some other offers for Ivan after he gets some more exposure. So far the only offer on the table is the one from PAO.

Ivan has said he wants to stay, and Panathinaikos entertain thoughts of giving Salzbourg a deadline for an answer, but if they do they run the risk of having their bluff called. I think it's just best to wait and see. If another team makes an official offer PAO will have to see what the numbers are and then decide if they want to match it.

Anyone who is implying that Panathinaikos is not doing enough to aquire Ivanschitz is misleading the fans. It's curious that the tone of the reporting makes it seem as if PAO could do something else (sure they could pay double or triple his worth), or they make it sound as if PAO could just sign the guy.

Archived