Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Portugal

Genome

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How convenient. We also played against Mexico, Netherlands and England and we were voted the most spectacular team by Fifa.com users. Problem was we didnt score goals and thats a very important thing in football isnt it ? If we had, lets say, a guy like Van Nistelroy, we would have won the world Cup, trust me.

Dude I like Portugal, but after watching that Holland game.....Well I lost a lot of respect for Portuguese football (national team, I like the clubs better)

That banner was posted from the first round match vs Angola - is why I make the comment.

PS.

You cant Vote in a Champion :gr:

and who could forget this one from 2004

Here are some comments from Portuguese users on other forums, thought it'ld be interesting to see their take on things:

It looks to be a long day...playing against Greece and it's usuall "anti-soccer" strategy and no Ronaldo or Nani...

Hopefully Quaresma, Simao, et al can have a good game...but I am not expecting too much.

Carvalho may also be a wash.

For sure, but really Ronaldo and Nani are a lock for NT positions. Nani very well may be a starter for the NT or at the very least the first sub option every game. This game will be good for the less proven players to find ways to break a defensive team as Ronaldo and Nani do it fairly easily.

This is now Quaresma's show.

According to reports:

Ronaldo is suffering from pains in his left leg while Nani - who along with his compatriot scored in the 3-0 Premiership win over Liverpool on Sunday - has pulled a muscle in his right leg.

This MIGHT be BS, it may be Sir Alex giving Scolari the finger for playing Ronaldo the whole 90 minutes. If it is so blatant that he uses them on the weekend against Villa it may get complicated, I doubt Scolari would let it slide.

All in all I just can't handle another loss to the greeks friendly or not!

this will not be an easy game,

yes its revege time but,, greece knows how to shut down an offence,,

we should not take this game any lighter than vs italy,, it is a freindly at the end right???

What about Portugal's reputation for diving, particularily in the Holland and England games in the last WC, of which the English press would refer to them as the "Portuguese Diving Team"?

I think these Portuguese fans use the "anti-football strategy" as an excuse to make themselves feel better but they fail to see that Greece won it all because they played team ball, had great discipline, and made the fewest mistakes.

The anti-football strategy is a common strategy for underdogs. Yet other underdogs in the past have tried it and failed yet Greece fully utilized it. If the anti-football strategy was an "easy way out", then other underdogs would have had success with it as well but that isnt the case.

Any quality team can penetrate a quality defense and the teams who did not defeat Greece in Euro 2004 proved they werent good enough, as Scolari implied after the Euro 2004 final You look at the last WC winners and you will see that offensive teams like France and Brazil had quality defenses as they allowed very few goals. They did not win with 4-3 and 3-2 scores. That saying goes, "Offense win games but defense wins championships" and that applies to any team sport.

THE ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO WIN. Some of these fans of offensive-minded teams feel that it is better to play offense and lose 3-2 than to play defense and win 1-0, which is stupid because you dont get extra points for scoring a multitude of goals

Greece had 5 players in the Euro 2004 25-man-squad, more than other team, including Portugal, because they played team ball, a concept that Portugal is not familiar with.

@geok

Greece's 4-3-3 has always been a borderline 4-5-1.

why would you say this? i don't think this is the case at all.

amanatidis and charisteas may be far from having the desired skill-set of a wide forward, but they play as wide forwards...not wide midfielders. these players don't play the touchline down to the by-line. the 1st goal against bosnia at home was a classic example of this, patsa (right fullback)...crossed to charistea (right forward)...charistea made a run to the 1st post after katsouranis layed a pass for patsa, who wisely made a run upfield. patsa made a run up the touch line and delived a nice cross charistea.

the fact that amanatidis and charisteas come back to defend at times is tactical. otto demands all players help out defensively, and in this case, stamina and defending mean more than dribbling and crossing. a manager such as scolari, may tell ronaldo and quaresma not to bother defending at times, to keep them more fresher. these are is tactical nuances, not scheme nuances.

4-3-3 all the way.

geok was making a point about how he'd rather see Greece take a more conservative approach, but the 4-3-3 Greece uses falsely gives the impression Greece is going on the all attack and thats simply not the case. Greece aslo to my knowledge has rarely played in a different formation and when they have adopted a different formation its usually to make room for another defender. Greece tends to defend in numbers and suffocate the offence, the formation has a tendency to appear like a 4-5-1 (that's what I mean by borderline) because so many players end up in the midfield or defence (or simply behind the ball) with one guy up there all alone.

Now they're even saying more than 25000 Greeks alone, and about 33000 in total.

Greek anthem just played, now it's the Portuguese.

Nikopolidis, Kyrgiakos, Charisteas, Basinas, Karagounis, Amanatidis, Antzas, Katsouranis, Gekas, Patsazoglou, Torosidis.

Kyrgiakos plays with a special mask for protection (face) because of an injury.

WE'RE OFF ! ! ! :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived