Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2008

Tsoglani

Interesting moves.

Major re-organization of the team. We'll be probably have ten different players next season:

Gone: Gonzales, Postiga, Seric, Manoucho, Fyssas, Papadopoulos, Morris

Probably Gone: Vintra, Romero, Darlas

Signed so far: Clayton, Petropoulos, Christodoulopoulos, Galinovic, Ivanschitz

Re-negotiated contracts: Simao, Dimoutsos, Mattos

Will probably sign: Goumas, Pellerano, Tzeabour

EraSport said that Tzeabour is not considered to be a featured Striker and will probably be a perimeter striker. We'll buy a Striker for sure.

We have gutted our CB position completely. Besides Sariegi, right now there is no other CB that we can be sure they'll return next season.

Goumas is under negotiations, and after today I think he will sign for sure. That means we'll need another two CBs (unless they think Simao can fill in, which I don't think is the case). I would not be surprised to see us go for Avraam Papadopoulos now, and maybe include Morris in the deal.

With Papadopoulos not considered for next season, we now have four strikers: Mantzios and Petropoulos who have returned from loans, Salpigidis and N'doye. Apparently Antoniou wants to spend major money on a striker so letting Papadopoulos go is probably best. It means that Petropoulos and Mantzios will probably stay.

I think there is a major re-evaluation of talent going on and at the same time the goals seem to be defined a bit higher. As soon as I heard the news today I thought that both Morris and Papadopoulos could be linked with the two major blunders that were largely responsible for losing the title last season. Papadopoulos missed that penalty against Olympiakos that would have pushed PAO up and Olympiakos into shambles, and Morris was taken to the cleaners by Ratzinski in the Xanthi debacle.

In my mind it sends the message that a different attitude and performance will be accepted from now on.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely, it is sad to see players who have been with the club for a while leave but I think that, once again, we would merely hope that they would finally have a good season rather than actually believe that they would. Pap is, in my opinion, an overrated player with little talent but plenty of passion and athletic ability. Salpi is a way better player of this kind: he is faster, a better finisher and an even more hard-working forward than Pap. Morris is another story: a huge talent that didn't progress at all since his first season at PAO due to his arrogance and -though it might sound odd and insignificant- his religious beliefs that turned him into a weak and poorly trained footballer for a couple of months every year. Obviously, both are not bad for the bench but it will all depend on whom we sign in their place.

The real question is this: is there some sort of plan or are we just pitching for this and that with the management's mind on the cover stories rather than on the squad? The Aimar business did temporarily reassure me, to tell you the truth, but, still, I can't help but think the following:

1) Clayton: I see Clayton as the anti-Romero, a man who will come from the bench most of the time in order to give the extra spark in midfield. If this is the case, fine - though the 1,7 mil is a lot of money. However, I have this feeling that Vgeno just couldn't let it go: he got involved before the new scheme got going and he really didn't want to him to go to a rival club. And don't tell me that Ten Kate knew anything about Clayton.

2) Lazaros: no doubt the money was ridiculous. Of course, after all, it only cost a mere 2 mil to PAO (Vgeno and Marfin are not PAO) but, still, it's a ridiculous amount of money for a player who clearly seems talented but nobody knows anything about. Honestly, have you seen this guy play - I mean really seen him play? No, and you know why? Because he hasn't had a real season - ever! Let alone a good season.., Plus, he is just another Clayton-style player. Almost 4 mil for two similar players of decent but not impressive ability. In your face, AEK and OSFP, but what next?

3) Pellerano: my friends from South America say he is excellent and I trust them (it was one of those guys who insisted that Mattos was a quality DM) but are we signing him or what? They say that he is a more aggressive and strong Morris - fast and always trying to be first on the ball. Fair enough, but we still need a big and strong CB - the fact that Rocha says he is great merely means that he probably is but it doesn't entail that he is the one we need. Of course, now that Nassief is gone we do.

4) Ten Kate said that the players decide the formation and not the other way around. Excellent, I say, but is it not time for him to decide what he wants to do? What kind of players do you need mate? You need to tell the management now, because, in case you don't remember, we 've got qualifiers in July. And, surprise surprise, we 're going there with a new defence and a new offence. I can only see Mattos, Kara and Iv starting in those games and that only on the condition that Kara and Iv are not exhausted after the Euro.

5) "Big names": yeah, yeah, we know the lot but what happens when you 're running out of time? Can you go to Arsenal, for example, and say "you know, guys, we want to buy Gilberto but we need to do it now because we are in a hurry"? They 'll just say "whatever, we can sell Gilberto any time so if you can't give us time to think about it, too bad". If we don't get realistic over this we might end up with our "big names" trying to break up Thrasyvoulos' defence. If you want be with the top clubs you need to play in the CL. And to be there we need to play well in four games in the summer.

6) There are at least two needs that we have to meet now regardless of formation and the like: we need a good CB and a quality striker. I don't care whether they will be tall or short or whatever - they just need to defend and score respectively. 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 you need these guys.

As I said, the Aimar business reassured me for a moment. In addition, I suspect that Pap and Morris were informed today rather than earlier in the summer because some transfers are finalised. Unless they had forgotten and only remembered when they saw them in training... I 'll risk the prediction that Mantzios is not staying and Pateras is dreaming of a 4-3-3 with Djebour on the left, Salpi on the right and another new signing in the middle.

PS: Sorry for the long post, but I just returned and had to take it out of my chest.

Good post GreenTitus.

I'll add here that all reports indicate we are after a CB, a DM, and a CF. I think it will happen with about 10 million for all three.

I would like to have Djeabour over Mantzios. Some reports indicated we wanted to offer Mantzios in a deal for Djeabour to Panionios, but he does not want to go back.

Also some reports said we are after a RB and that Vintra will be gone for sure. I still don't see who is the backup LB and LM.

There are many question marks and losing the title has put us in a race against time. My feeling is that the good players will come later, and that we'll probably play the first qualifying games with those we have. If we make it to the groups, I don't care who we play in preliminaries, but for the groups and the super-league we need three starters with credentials down the middle.

i predict kyriagko signing in similar fashion to karagounis last season were it happened just out of the blue

i agree that the aimar business ended the way it should of - but has anyone considered maybe we just got lucky and the player didnt want to come to greece afterall and management just made up this excuse to seem like they are powerful in the market...

anyways - according to reports cleyton was signed after the ok from ten cate - the reports suggest he saw dvds of him before he gave the green light - which is why it took two days before he officially signed after initial negotiations begun

Kyriakos would instantly upgrade our defense. Actually, I think they should go for the double-whammy and bring both Kyriakos and A. Papadopoulos.

I was thinking what GreenTitus said about Morris and his way of life, and I had never thought of it. I remember Peseiro at the end of the season saying how he is responsible for not noticing some players were out of form in the blood tests...

I wonder if Antoniou and Ten Cate saw something in the conditioning reports from last year to decide to release Morris and Pap so fast after Ten Cate kept saying he wants to learn his players first before he makes decisions who should come and who should go.

Anyway, these are just thoughts that remind me how little we know about the inner workings of the team when we make assumptions regarding players who get benched or never get to play.

i predict kyriagko signing in similar fashion to karagounis last season were it happened just out of the blue

i agree that the aimar business ended the way it should of - but has anyone considered maybe we just got lucky and the player didnt want to come to greece afterall and management just made up this excuse to seem like they are powerful in the market...

anyways - according to reports cleyton was signed after the ok from ten cate - the reports suggest he saw dvds of him before he gave the green light - which is why it took two days before he officially signed after initial negotiations begun

yeah he was watching DVDs of Clayton and Lazaros. Man what a fun job you have in preseason...

Clayton is not going to be just a backup......i can see him coming on if not winning a starting spot in the team. Nothing is set in stone - but hes a very good and capable player.

Pap and Morris had to go...we cant use that inconsistent level anymore. Pap I hope finds a club in Germany, regains form and does great....

Pellerano might not be coming.....aparently he was holding out for Almeria in Spain....because getting pounded full of goals in the relegation zone was going to make a great career for you as oposed to the prospect of titles and Champions league...

there are strong rumours today again of gilberto silver of arsenal and pizarro of chelsea

http://www.sportdog.gr/new/article.aspx?id=69231

i say no thanks to gilberto silva and yes to pizarro

i dun really see the need for yet another DM when we have mattos (re-signed), tziolis, and simao that play this position (and possibly even leontiou to an extent). plus im not in favour of signing 31 yr old brazilian for 2.5 mill euro for 2 yrs (conceicao anyone?)

they didnt sign aimar on this theory didnt they?

pizaro on the other hand could prove extremely handy - didnt have a flash season at chelsea but i would assume he would kill the greek league in similar fashion to kovacevic

No thanks to gilberto? I think the gilberto coming to pao sounds too good to be true. He is a really good Dm even at the english level imaigne him in greece. From a red point of view I am starting to get really worryed with what your team is doing. If you sign any 2 of the players your want, you will be a huge threat in europe yet alone greece.

Btw if Pao got a 5 miillion euro offer for salpi, it would be dumb not to accept

Btw if Pao got a 5 miillion euro offer for salpi, it would be dumb not to accept

exactly! salpi is a player who can reach a certain level and i think he already has done that or close to.

he will never get much better that this

exactly! salpi is a player who can reach a certain level and i think he already has done that or close to.

he will never get much better that this

This is true and for that amount I'd sell him, but only if another, better similar style striker is signed.

Nobody, man, just another rumour. And I say yes to Gilbeto. How can you possibly compare him with Conceicao guys? The man played regularly for Arsenal last season and is anything but a has been. As for Pizarro, I just don't see it happening - the man can find a great contract anywhere.

Nobody, man, just another rumour. And I say yes to Gilbeto. How can you possibly compare him with Conceicao guys? The man played regularly for Arsenal last season and is anything but a has been. As for Pizarro, I just don't see it happening - the man can find a great contract anywhere.

I agree about Gilberto too. I have not watched him much, but he would be a huge upgrade over the other DMs we have.

I had mentioned before that the second DM is a priority imo, and I am happy to see the club is searching for one. Two dominant DMs means the rest of the midfield and the fullbacks get to spend more time thinking offense. Besides I think Mattos will get to play a bit higher too.

Let's wait and see, I like what I see so far, but the reality is so far we have only signed Lazaro and Clayton...

Who is offering 5 mil. for Salpi ?? :unsure:

Supposedly Rapid Bucharest, Peseiro's team. They are allocating 5 million for a big transfer from the greek league, so they say.

I dont think we should selll him. Its too late for that. We kind of taking a very long time to make any signings.....Salpi should stay on as hes our leading scorer, and can be useful. I dont think the world of him, but only because of his height. He is capable of being a goalscorer at the right place and time, and can make his own individual brilliance like with AEK or Atletico Madrid two gorgeous goals...

Also imagine how much time it would take for us to sell him , and replace him...not worth it....And would Salpiggidis really leave??? Does Salpi really want to leave this PAO team who is spending big on players to feed him goals to finish, and will be serious contenders for the title, and also to play in the Champions League, to go and play for Peseiro again in Bucharest for extra euros he doesnt need???? I think its an AWFUL decision, I do respect Rapid as a team, but leaving this PAO right now for them is crazy - everyone wants to be onboard for a reason...Salpiggidis does well it can make his career..if he goes to romania hes starting all over again and not really going to get noticed as he would playing in the European spotlight, and having players like Clayton, Iv, Ninis setting up goals for him, which is going to boost his own value, stats, reputation in the long run....

here. i read it on here but some reporter just said on novasportfm.

http://sports.e-go.gr/article.asp?catid=82...2&pubid=1168641

he is an excellent player from what my argetinian co worker said. apparently river plate offered 4 million last christmas (2006) but he wanted to stay with his belez team.

im very excited to have a player like this on our team. from the few vids ive seen, he is tall, REALLY quick and seems to be very comfortable playign CB.

Pellerano was supposedly a done deal weeks ago i remember it was annouced around same time as X-doulopoulos ....but somehow it wasnt.....Velez announced it on their webpage....

personally i have no idea how the hell it takes 3 weeks to sign Clausura Player.....

Archived