Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2008

Tsoglani

PAO only owns 25% of Mattos' rights. His manager owns the other 75%. From the 7.5 million PAO will only get 1.8 million, which is probably what they spent to bring him to Greece.

I can see a couple of incentives for Mattos to stay though.

Last year he was paid 500,000/yr. and Portsmouth offers him 1 million. We could conceivably offer him 1.5 million to make his choice more dificult.

We also have good chances to play in the CL groups but I am not sure how much of an incentive this is for someone who already has a good offer from the EPL.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 million without the 7 from portsmouth.  if we sell mattos our budget will be 27 million.

Simao is a great Dm and im not worried so much about the midfield. i believe we need to sign ivan and get a CM/RM with class and a bonafide striker. RB and CB would follow.

we do have to worry a bit about our midfield.....

Practically the entire midfield could be gone - thats big, that measn we need a ton of signings, and a lot of work to build them up.

think about it

Ivan is going ( I assume hes gone now, because we havent gone through with it and the Euro is in 7 days...)

Ivan, Eki, Mattos, Tziolis , Romero.....

All we have left from our regular midfield lineup is Karagkounis, Simao, Ninis, and Dimoutsos - thats ALL our whole team would have..... Karagkounis the only regular midfielder in the entire squad! !

All the hype about building a great team and Mattos is leaving? <_<

Supersport.gr is saying the Chelsea's Claudio Pizzaro (29 years old) has been offered to PAO, and both Laudrup, Ten Cate, Skibbe and Fernandez are all possibilities for the managerial job.

All the hype about building a great team and Mattos is leaving?  <_<

Supersport.gr is saying the Chelsea's Claudio Pizzaro (29 years old) has been offered to PAO, and both Laudrup, Ten Cate, Skibbe and Fernandez are all possibilities for the managerial job.

Pizarro??? Great player. Hope thats true, because he really is a quality player. He was dumb to ever move to Chelsea, but he was a great scorer in the Bundesliga and could be the striking solution weve needed...

I dont beleive it though......PAO probably just on the mailing list for the offers....

Hell want to go back to Germany, and plenty of teams want him.

I really hope we get Laundrup...... guess all Im reading now is that its either Ten Cate or Laundrup......... the idea of Ten Cate being assistant manager I guess wasnt true.......

I think Mattos would be very smart if he didnt rush this decision to go. I mean he does have time, and if I were him Id wait a little bit and see who the new coach would be, what kind of signings come in etc...

As you probably know already, I maintain a list with all the names that have been linked with a transfer to Panathinaikos through rumors and media reports. The number to date has reached 40 :LOL:

Anyway, so far we have released Gonzales and Fyssas, did no renew Seric, and returned Postiga and Manoucho to their owners. We also renewed/re-negotiated the contracts of Galinovic, Nilsson, Dimoutsos and Simao, while we intend to renew Goumas and upgrade Ninis' contract. We also know that there is an offer on the table for Mattos to go to Portsmouth. Mantzios and Petropoulos have returned from their loans.

Other than that we don't know much.

But one thing that's worth discussing is the overall philosophy. I know Antoniou always advocated on TV that the roster must be comprised of mostly Greeks, and that the foreign players we have must be exceptional.

This would be a huge shift than the one that placed us in this long hole. For those who don't remember, we went through almost a decade of reliance on "talented" and "less expensive" players from other countries (the Croatian connection send a couple of squads to PAO with very little success).

It remains to be seen if Antoniou will maintain his philosophy now that he is in a position to spend real money for players. Overall, Greek talent is too expensive compared with what you would pay for a foreign player of equal skill.

I think it would be a great idea to begin building a Hellenized backbone for Panathihinaikos. I don't believe that Greek players are superior, but I do think they can be better carriers of the Panathinaikos cultural tradition since they understand the gravity of the emblem.

Who is out there that would be good for us to get and that has the potential to contribute for many years?

There was a brief rumor today that Seitaridis, Kyriakos, Basinas, and Katsouranis were discussed by the shareholders as potential targets.

From all of them, I would not mind seeing Basinas and Kyriakos back. I don't want Seitaridis, and if we are going to spend 8 million for a DM like Katsouranis, I'd rather offer them to Mattos first to see if he is enticed to stay. I never rated Seitaridis very high (even when he was playing for PAO before) so I'd rather see us go for someone else. If not, I'd rather keep Nilsson and Vintra.

While Basinas is free and would be easy to return to PAO, Kyriakos burned all his bridges when he left. If not him, maybe Avraam Papadopoulos can be had next year when he is free (who wants to watch Skordas shaking on TV again?).

Besides A. Papadopoulos and Christodoulopoulos, what other Greek talent is out there that you would like to see in Green this summer?

personally, i think we should invest our efforts first in drafting and presenting a new contract to mattos before looking for an anti-mattos...i would rather have mattos renew to a 1-1.5 mill/year contract then sign katsouranis to a similar contract. in order to sign katsouranis we will need to pay him around 1mill a year, so why not offer that to mattos instead and see if he decides to stay..i think mattos well deserves AT LEAST around 1 million a year...BUT if he ends up not staying(even though i think if we give him a nice salary increase he may) then katsouranis would be a very worthy replacement...we would just need to offer him a good sum of money bc he is an aektzi at heart...

i would welcome basinas back as well..i think he can help our youth alot and has another one or two years of good football left in his feet...i saw alot of mallrca games and he was instrumental in their success these last few years...he wouldnt be a long term solution, but could definitly help the team out...

what i dont understand is why Genk pays 1.5 million to get Toszer from AEK and we dont seal the deal for Ivansitchz with a firm 2 million bid...last i heard salzburg upped their asking price alittle but i think 2 milllion for ivan is a steal...had the pricetag not been set, i think he is worth at least 3 if not more...we will get around 1.5 for vyntra if he ends up going to stuttgart, so why not use some of that...i think signing him should be our first priority BUT as Euro begins, i think more offers for him ill come in and we will lose him...we should have signed him RIGHT after the season ended, but the club managemet was in dissaray and now i believe we will pay..im not confident we will see him in a pao jersey ever again...

kyriakos would be a wonderful signing...i think we can pull it off if our new management really start kissing his ass...we know he loves pao and left under shady circumstances but with this 'revolution' going on, i think the chances of signings him now have increased slightly...

we will have around 20mill budget so we better spend WISELY and on players that will make the difference..id like to see the direction our new management intend to tqake the team in and i think we will get a better idea when these signings begin...

I agree with you PAO123 that I would not mind seeing Ivan stay even for a couple of million EURO. I think PAO's offer is 1.5 million to Saltzbourg, but I have not heard what his contract demands would be. PAO as a PAE can't afford to be going ugga-gagga over any player. The moment they do they lose all negotiating power.

I personally rate Mattos much higher than Ivan. Reportedly, Portsmouth has offered him a contract worth 1 million per year. Right now he makes 500.000 with PAO. I would love to see us enticing him to stay with a fat contract worth, say, 1.5 - 2 million dollars. It would make a statement to him how much we value him, and he strikes me as a very conciecious and pationate player. He would feel more invested with the team. Truth is, as is the case with Ivan, PAO holds very few cards in the matter. Mattos and his agent hold most of them.

I think the Katsouranis rumor is just that. I don't see any team paying 8-10 million to Benfica plus his contract. He is just not worth it. We could find two awesome players with that kind of money.

Today I heard on ERAsport that the transfer budget this year is 15 million, and not the earlier reported 20 million. It's still substantial and it should be enough for three or four first-rate players.

the transfer budget really isnt up to us......thats for them to worry about.. basically all we know is that its 15-25 million.

PAO has made an offer for Ivan and deadline is Sunday. (SportDay cover)

Eksedra (cover)

PAO made an offer for X-doulopoulos and Melissis..

dont see that anywhere else though...

Alvaro Recoba on the cover of Eksedra linked to PAO......please no.....

Great player back in 2002 generation of Inter and Uruguay.

Except its 2008, and hes crap now, 1 goal in 22 games for Torino and mostly played as a substitute. Theres no way we should spend money on this guy.

PAO is trying to buy Mattos off of his agent.......

Makelele - 6 million? hes fantastic and could easily have 2 years left. But thats too much money for a player that old to move to an entirely new country and start fresh in the Greek league it very rarely works out.

Gudjonsen would be exciting, but its goal.com rumour..

Archived