Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2008

Tsoglani

Do you think players with no teams available free are any good?

Man if we pick one up on a free we are extremely lucky.

Didnt we pick up Munch for free, he was a good defender shame age caught up with him.

they can't be worse then the 2 dumb cb's we have.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think players with no teams available free are any good?

Man if we pick one up on a free we are extremely lucky.

Didnt we pick up Munch for free, he was a good defender shame age caught up with him.

they can't be worse then the 2 dumb cb's we have.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:tdown:

The transfer season IMO was a failure. For the amount of press, publicity it simply did not live up to expectations / talk , and it was not complete.

We did get some smart signings, but, our central defense got WEAKER instead of stronger. IMO, when you spend millions and talk big, then a part of your team gets much weaker, its a failed transfer window. I hope, I HOPE, THIS management learns from its mistakes. Thats the most we can really ask from any management. Transfer deadlines, should be August (for a internal-PAE goal, and have the last weeks as cushion for a backup plan) Im sorry, it doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

I like the Gilberto signing, but we can throw 3 million down for a player, while deny a position that needs the strengthening FAR more a few extra hundred thousand (esp with that FREE 5.5 million BONUS we didnt even expect to get from OSFP failure) just isnt an intelligent move. It shows arrogance, inexperience, and does nothing good for the team.

Other wise, the management has done a great job in getting the team back on track esp with fans. Antoniou, keeping Velic for scouting who is a miserable failure in the past, and this transfer season are the only negatives I can say. There are plenty of positives, that are going to get the team in the right direction, only I just hope they learned their lesson from this summer's transfers, that they cant screw around like that, not with PAO, and not with huge chunks of money.

In all fairness, management was being formed at the same time it was diving into the transfer market. Somehow they spent 23 million Euro and still managed to leave gaping holes in the squad unplugged.

They pumped over six million Euro to PAOK and resurected AEK with a nice gift. Somehow I think they are being a little too generous in helping out the league :P

The most puzzling thing of all is how they identified very quickly the need for a CB and were set to pay over 3 million Euro for Pellerano (plus his contract) but once he decided to move to a more familiar culture they seemed lost. They courted Givet for over a month, were willing to pay his team but did not want to make him one of the highest contracts in the squad. Then they got Melissis, and then they decided they don't need a CB any more! I am as dumbfounded as everyone here.

If I were to guess, I would say that this might be the result of too many people in decision-making role. Whatever the inner-workings of the club are, I hope things settle down and the decision-making process becomes a little more coherent and efficient.

I am reluctant to say too many bad things about our CBs (whoever they are they will be manning the post at least until Christmas) but I am not feeling very comfortable playing against Champions League caliber teams in meaningful games.

I have a secret hope that his game against AEK was only a bad game and that the team will be super from now on with a little tweaking ...

Obviously now we have to work with whatever players we have. All of us here had identified the CB as a position needing a great player months ago.

But, I'd like to see Goumas play more. And, give Melissis a chance. I don't want to see Vyntra-Sariegi together. They don't fit well, both prone to stupid mistakes.

Now TKate should be the one to make the decisions about the team's roster. End of story. Too many chiefs isn't good. The scouts and Adoniou can help identify prospects, but it should be TK who decides from now on.

I don't think we're going to be a great team this season, and I mean one that would be so superior in Greece and in do extremely well in europe. But, I have seen stuff that I hadn't seen in a very loooooooooooooong time. The team--when it can--puts together some decent football. Didn't see this before in many years!

Even when we got that double in 2004 (boy, how many games I watched that year), we could NOT string 3-4 passes together! This team is much better as a TEAM and with better INDIVIDUAL players. It's a matter of time before this quality shows and produces results.

So, for now, I'm cool. :D

Motta I thought he was a left winger for Barca....he was a great player....But hes not a CB.......Would still like to have the player - ANYBODY like him can only help out this back line - assuming hes ever played CB. As for spending/money, weve got extra, and we might need to pay more than hes worth, but when you screw up your trasnfers--- you gotta pay for it, to be fixed.

Besides, its a Goal.com rumour....So not much chance of that being true. Havent heard anything of it in Greek Press... And isnt the transfer window closed?

According to this report he is coming back from a knee injury, and he already failed physicals for Sandater and Portsmouth. In addition he would not be able to play in the CL groups since PAO has already declared the eligible players to UEFA.

So, for now, we are stuck with the CBs on the roster. I don't think we are in as desperate shape as the game against AEK showed. But HTC will have revise his plans.

We have Goumas, Melissis, Simao, Sariegi, Vintra for the position.

We just fielded the lowest ranking ones from the group against AEK. I think HTC chose them for their speed and ball handling ability, and he probably thought that their defensive weakness will be made up by better ball circulation which would help us score more than we'll give up.

If this was really the plan, it didn't really work because beside good ball circulation in midfield we came nowhere near scoring all game long.

Goumas-Melissis would be a better tandem IMO. Goumas is a known quantity. He can play the position and can lead the defense. He is not as fast as the rest, but he can mark and he can tackle, and he won't turn his back when the opponent shoots.

Melissis we paid over 2 million for, I have not watched him much, so I am not sure what to expect. From reports I read, he is not really a pure CB. With PAOK he played on the wings (RFB?) as well which tells me he has speed and ball handling abilities, but does not tell me much about his skills as CB.

Seeing how Simao plays in midfield I'd hate to move him to another position, but we can afford it with Mattos and Gilberto as DMs. I think he could play CB better than anyone we have right now. His inexperience will be exploited by a few CFs, but his upside is huge and he will be more solid and tenacious than anyone we could buy at this juncture.

Besides if our CBs are to give away games, I'd rather see them given away by a 20-year old :la:

why not teach that position to someone like Tziolis if we are going to experament with Vyntra

this position is clearly our weakness & how come we can see this but managment cant? mala

seriously...i agree.

what about Simao as a CB? although i think hes a great DM and only getting better......

id rather squeeze Mattos into DM, then move Simao down. Overall the team would have more quality players on the pitch. Even Tziolis, could be a better CB. He could even thrive there.

Vyntra, how he gets extensions on his conract, signed, played every game, called up to the ethniki. Its the BIGGEST mystery in football I can think of. So many crap games - the ONLY time he played good matches were very rarely on RB, and actually as a LB he was actually a respectable player last year. Every other year hes been absolute rubbish. He occasionally plays decent, and then another game plays absolutley horrible. He throws in BARELY enough decent performances to keep him on PAO, Hellas, and 1st Division football for that matter!

WHY COULDNT YOU TAKE HIM STUTTGART!!!!??!! HE WASNT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE :( :( :(

The fact that even HTC sees something in him worries me. Melissis, Simao, Gkoumas, even Morris and Tziolis are all BETTER. Siontis out there would at least play at minimum just as bad as Louka, yet at least hed be developing out there- might as well get SOME benefit for fielding a crap player right?

Here is a funny thing:

We kept both our RBs from last year, and we also spent a good amount of money to bring in two more (and with Melissis three) new right backs.

But so far, after the second game of the season, it doesn't look like any of the 5 can lock the position. This still seems to be the weakest position so far. I say we paid the most for Gabriel, so put him in and let him sink or swim. I am kind of tired of the musical chairs at RB. Personally I liked what I saw from Moon too, especially his speed, but I only saw him in one game.

main greek media had nothing, which means if any of that was actually true ( those other sites being based off goal.com, odds are it is not) so there was really never a Motta issue.

A shame, because anybdy would have done...But i dont know if he was a CB anyways :blink:

Archived