Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2008

Tsoglani

i love salpi but djebbour is a natural goalscorer. i really hope we sign him. he is a great talent.

he are his stats. numbers in (..) are games played followed by goals scored.

2005-2006 Ethnikos Asteras (16) 11-none on PK

2006 Atromitos ...................(12) 6-none on PK

2007-2008 Panionios----------(31) 19-five on PK

Forget somelike Pizzaro who doesnt even want to play in greece. djebbour is dying to come here even tho Benfica apparently offered 3 mil to panionio he wasnt sold.

According to latest reports, Panionios have held a press conference to say that Djebbour will not be leaving Panionios. If he plays against Napoli then that will be confirmed. Assuming this isn't a PR ploy (which I believe it isn't, because they've gone to the lengths of holding a press conference as opposed to just releasing a statement), then PAO still have to sign a target man and centre-back. Don't get me wrong, as things stand, if the league title race started tomorrow then I'd consider PAO to be favourites. But if a target man and centre-back are signed I'd consider PAO strong favourites for the league and would expect the team to make an impression in Europe too.

So if Panionios is out of the question who should be the target? Personally I don't rate Pizzaro, and he doesn't want to go to Greece anyway so forget him. So who would you like to see? I'd want Brandao (Shakhter), Pavel Pogrebniak (Zenit), or

Luis Saha (Man Utd).

At centre-back, the board have to keep trying to lure Kyrgiakos imo, but if that's a no go how about either Tal Ben Haim or Alex from Chelsea. Both are excellent defenders. 2 more signings and PAO will be ready.

Brandao is over rated and Saha would go to france b4 comin to greece.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to online sports news the roster is set, and Panathinaikos will not buy any more players.

Personally, I find it hard to believe since there is one more month left in the transfer season and the club has some glaring needs.

I like Melissis, and I think he is a good addition to our existing CBs, but I get the feeling we'll see one more signing for the position. and I can't imagine us making an impact in the CL groups with our existing CBs - I hope I am wrong.

As for Djebbour, he was red-carded in the last Panionios' friendly, so he is pushing his own luck with his team, and exposing once again his problematic character. As much as I like him as a player, I think PAO should stay away from him.

Antoniou and Ten Cate want to keep 25 players only.

So here are the 25 right now:

GK: Galinovic, Malartz, Karnezis

D: Nilsson, Gabriel, Goumas, Sariegi, Vindra, Spyropoulos, Melissis

DM: Mattos, Gilberto, Simao, Tziolis, Siontis, Leontiou

AM: Karagounis, Ivanschitz, Cleyton, Lazaros, Ninis, Salpigidis, Roukavina

CF: Mantzios, Sousa

Dimoutsos, N'doye, Petropoulos (some reports say he will stay) are to be loaned out according to reports, and Papadopoulos will be transfered or released. The team is waiting for N'doye to find a team so they can sign Bryce Moon.

Also, I read somewhere that the club will bring back Tzorvas and will release Malartz who will go to OFI.

Looking at this roster, it's the first time that I see such a plethora of good players. Honestly, do you remember the last time when we didn't want to get rid half or more of the squad at this point?!!!!

Vyntra has improved, but I can't get it out of my mind that this kid is goofy, always prone to making a huge mistake that can cost a game. I'd keep him for now but as a backup.

Now, Malarz hasn't seen any playing time, has talked against the coach, so I don't think he'll be with us much longer. I don't know much about Karnezis. Is he ready to be #1 if Gali is injured? Then we'll need third goalie.

My only worry is that good players won't get much if any action because only 11 can play, and 10kate doesn't like rotation. I'd hate to see good players warming the bench.

I agree Athinaie.

We are really full in the off mids position.

I would hate to see Ninis take Kara's spot or the other way around.

Salpi is the best choice on the right, but may have to prove himself to avoid Ruka replacing him. Ivan or Christo left. Clayton ?

Goumas/Melissis and a new solid CB (from France?) should be OK behind our super def mid duo. ;)

PEACE

I think the competition is good, but this is the first year we might see some really excellent players not even making the bench.

Typically, for a game the coach would choose 11 starters and then seven more on the bench. Typically, on the bench they take 1 goalkeeper, two defenders (one fullback and one CB), two midfielders and two strikers.

For the 4-2-3-1 it seems all straight forward right now we have seven really excellent forwards/AMs (for the '3' in the formation): Ninis, Karagounis, Salpigidis, Ivanschitz, Roukavina, Christodoulopoulos, Cleyton. Thee of these seven will start, and two will be on the bench. Another two or three will stay home!

We *could* have (Starter // Bench // Home)

Galinovich // Karnezis // Malartz

Nilsson--Goumas--Vintra--Spyropoulos // Melissis--Gabriel // Leontiou--Sariegi

Mattos--Gilberto // Simao // Tziolis--Siontis

Salpigidis--Ninis--Ivanschitz // Karagounis--Roukavina // Christodoulopoulos--Cleyton

Mantzios // Sousa // Petropoulos

This is going to be interesting...

Cyber,

I would prefer:

Gabriel--Goumas--Melissis/French CB?--Spyropoulos

Mattos--Gilberto !

Salpigidis--Ninis/Kara--Christodoulopoulos/Kara :)

Sousa

Yes, I have seen Kara play left, pretty well!

Plus, I just can not see him (or Nini) out of our line up, he is just too good.

PEACE

Guest TheLegend

If Cleyton doesnt play its the stupidest possible thing for Cate to do. Hes quality and already is used to playing in Greece. Hes ready for here. Hes gona tear up as hes been doing for a year now.

Trifilli, Goumas????? That man is so gone that the only way he should be allowed back in is by buying scalped tickets!!

He is too slow and too foul prone to be of any value. His time came and went long ago and he should thank the stars that he's still collecting a paycheck. Damn, last year's memories of his disasterous games with PAO and the NT are flooding back...

Trifilli, Goumas????? That man is so gone that the only way he should be allowed back in is by buying scalped tickets!!

He is too slow and too foul prone to be of any value. His time came and went long ago and he should thank the stars that he's still collecting a paycheck. Damn, last year's memories of his disasterous games with PAO and the NT are flooding back...

Comments like that disgust me.

Goumas is 1 of the only players on short list worthy of putting a PAO jersey on.

In fact with more confidence in our set pieces this year, i see him actually scoring some vital goals with his headers and presence in corners. Hes still got it and when in form id pick him first...over what we have currently.

Whats with people these days...attacks on salpi now goumas.....

as a loyal pao fan im sickened.

Comments like that disgust me.

Goumas is 1 of the only players on short list worthy of putting a PAO jersey on.

In fact with more confidence in our set pieces this year, i see him actually scoring some vital goals with his headers and presence in corners. Hes still got it and when in form id pick him first...over what we have currently.

Whats with people these days...attacks on salpi now goumas.....

as a loyal pao fan im sickened.

+1

I posted above to emphasize that this year we will see popular players benched or home. Cleyton seems to be the odd man out at the moment. He is askilled player, but he is competing with another seven skilled players for three positions. If cleyton makes the team, one of the others will be left out. I have a hard time deciding myself. Who would you play, who would you bench, and who would you eliminate from the 18? Given that ten care seems to have salpi, nini, Ivan, as starters, then one or 2 of the other 4 (kara, lazaros, roukavina, cleyton) will have to be out from the18. I hope the fans don't start the grinia already.

As for goumas, he has been great, and I still think he is the best cb we have at the moment. But if the coach has other ideas, we'll judge at the end. For now I am happy to see management making good moves.I am convinced that with one more cb like Zive we'll be looking at a very competitive team in the cl groups.

Thanks to all for supporting Goumas, :tup: except ... :o

Giannis, was consistently our best defender last season. He also scored some crucial goals and was an aerial threat on set pieces.

I am very glad he will be with PAO until the new stadium, he comes from the academies and is green all over.

I agree that a few great players will have to be left out this year.

It is a shame, but it happened to Ninis, and Fyssas last season.

I do like our off. mids, so far. Looking for impact players, I see Kara, Nini, Salpi as the ones to make the difference.

It is not just skill, but also heart, personality, and experience that matter!

PEACE

Goumas has contributed to the club greatly and he is in a category of a very few players who've done so. He had a good season, and he deserves to be playing for us. Obviously he has to show he's still "got it" but so does everybody else.

Goumas is a true Panatha throughout and he should be employed in some capacity with the club after he retires from playing. :tup:

He's not "too old" btw. We've seen what other youngsters who got paid lots $$$ to be tourists with PAO. :tdown: [need to name names?]

As for the transfers, I believe this is one of the most successful seasons for PAO. Something's changed.

I am also a PAO supporter but not necessarily a supporter of the individual players because they play on my favorite team. It is a business like any other both from the owners and players side.

Accordingly, I believe the best team should be fielded in order to win and that does not necessarily mean the players who have contributed the most in the past or the most loyal. IMO, Goumas does not make this cut and I think Otto's consistency in having him on the bench - and not on the field - backs me up.

As for Salpi, I've said it before, he is too small and light on his feet for the rough and tumble of top league flight. Yes, he will come through on occasion - a la last week - but more often than not, there is a lot of effort but not the consistency when given a shot on goal. When he does well, I applaud him but not as a PAO boy but because he did well.

Goumas does not make this cut and I think Otto's consistency in having him on the bench - and not on the field - backs me up.

LOL....so what does starting with that axristo antzas do to support your argument....if Otto's selections highlight how correct you are...then god save us all!!

When he does well, I applaud him but not as a PAO boy but because he did well.

What is that supposed to mean...you have to be kidding urself if you support PAO only as a team, rather than individuals as well....the individual players make the team...and the team makes the individuals.....

Short short short...thats all i hear...djebbour is a mere 10cm taller than salpi....and in fact salpi has scored more headers in a season than djebbour has in his whole career!!

If players like defoe can play for england....then salpi is good enough for any team!

My point is if Goumas is so good then why is he on the bench and the 'axristo antzas' as you put it playing instead?

Let me explain my PAO/player comment. I support the team regardless of who plays for them as in today's world, the vast majority of players are playing for money and not for love of team. Teams also rarely treat players as anything mroe than commodities and so this lack of loyalty is a two way street.

As for Djebbour or Defoe, I don't know enough about either to comment re:their efficacy on the field. It is your perogative to disagree with my views.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/west-ham-unit...per-768713.html

If we dont sign Givet i will lose faith in Pateras :(

yeah it would be quite disapointing.....

I mean, to leave the defense BLANK again another year....well have spent so many millions only to get nowhere. We need to buy a real back, solely to protect the investment in the rest of the team I feel...

Transfer Season I am sort of happy with, we got some good youth, but we didnt really get any first team players other than Gilberto...

Lazaros is a good young prospect, but he cant do very much for us at the moment......Clayton seems to be out of Ten Cate's plans...paei autos....Rukavina is a question mark...

Gilberto was a great signing.....Keeping Ivan/Mattos were smart "signings"...

The season started with Ten Cate, and then Clayton/Lazaros as 'appetizers' then Gilberto looking great and then it all dropped off from there...

Sousa, Gabriel.....not really going to do very much IMO. Gabriel is talented but doesnt go back....Hes typical Brazilian right back, with comes with its share of laziness on defense.... Sousa....Apparently fans were happy to see him leave his team and he had not been very good. I just have a very bad feeling about him, that hell be another trash signing for us - new mangement or not.

Melissis was a good signing, but is he cant stand alone in the back, we need a QUALITY CB to hold this team together...

For such a huge budget, I feel like we could have done far better.... And for such talk from Pateras promising 3 players of great class (we have 1) and Ferrari/Hummer bullshit comments its a bit of a bad start for the guy IMO, also the timing of the signings, the amount of failed signing sagas.... We didnt really set priorities....

We talked about Aimar and went to Spain after him- then it didnt work out (thats fine, whatever) but then we didnt go after anybody else in his position....We go after Pellerano and waste over a month with that jackass, it falls through, and then we dont go and get anybody else instead....Exact Same thing with Avraam...

What exactly changed after these failed signings that we no longer needed player in that role/position anymore???? Thats just a question for discussion...

We let players like Meira escape us without a fight - and were in the same category as teams like Galatasaray and OSFP....so I do hold them as a standard to judge off of........GS even signed Miguel from Valencia...Even Dica made a quiet transfer to Catania..Should we beleive he wouldnt consider PAO?

Proven quality players like Dudu, Brandao, Meira, and Miguel were all available to teams like PAO and we dont even budge for them, in favour of getting these Brazilian league players who were big a few years ago but never made it out of Brazil... IMO Thats not optimal.

Man somethings change yet still stay the same...

Like drakos said they promised us 3 high class players and weve only got 1!!

the rest r either "prospects" or risks...

we need a world class defender period! Givet is the answer...

P.S Oly have sighned better players then us now :whistle:

Archived