Phantis Forums

Auxerre - Panathinaikos

Irlandos

Thats Ok!

I don't know why papers are calling it a tough draw. Pao has played against better opposition than Auxerre.

If they play as they did against rangers, then they have nothing to fear. Hopefully some players come back from injury before the game in feb and by that stage we have bought someone decent in the midfield.

Things can only get better!

I am sick and tired of hearing that pao wants easy draws. If you want to get respect in europe, than you got to take on decent opposition.

No guts, no glory!

PAO as always are the only Greek team left in Europe.

This is a good draw. Auxere have improved but PAO will also get better by February. The players are gelling together and finding the right chemistry.

We need two additions in January transfers. But if we buy Cheyrou from Liverpool, he can't play in the UEFA Cup because I think he has already played for Liverpool this year.

Thats Ok!

I don't know why papers are calling it a tough draw. Pao has played against better opposition than Auxerre.

If they play as they did against rangers, then they have nothing to fear. Hopefully some players come back from injury before the game in feb and by that stage we have bought someone decent in the midfield.

Things can only get better!

I am sick and tired of hearing that pao wants easy draws. If you want to get respect in europe, than you got to take on decent opposition.

No guts, no glory!

other than Valencia or Barcelona Auxerre is the one to fear the most.

they have a deadly attack and are a really powerful team this year. they killed us in a friendly this year for 1, and also just defeated Borussia Dortmund 4-0!!!! i dont care about a good game in glascow this is one VERY hard game where i have no hope- we play 1 game good then several awful....

I think it's a good draw. Our primadonas may show up and play against this team. Who knows? I don't think there are any easy teams for PAO right now. Come on gents, we don't have the Euro teams of the past... Every game is difficult game for us this season.

And, we better take care of other teams first, like ..Paniliakos and Kallithea!

I was so happy to see PAO dominate the Rangers match the other day, but our team has gone from hell to heaven and back....

other than Valencia or Barcelona Auxerre is the one to fear the most.

they have a deadly attack and are a really powerful team this year. they killed us in a friendly this year for 1, and also just defeated Borussia Dortmund 4-0!!!! i dont care about a good game in glascow this is one VERY hard game where i have no hope- we play 1 game good then several awful....

in fact it was sochaux who pounded dortmund and not auxerre.

still we must be wary of the considerable threat they pose to our advancement in the uefa, tho after the performance against rangers , i remain upbeat about our chances

If my memory serves me right, Schum was playing with two central defenders in the preseason game. Henriksen was doomed to be run over by Cisse. This will not be the case at the UEFA game.

However, I too am discouraged by that draw. Time will tell. It was definitely the worst draw possible, but I think anything can happen (except for a 7-0 disgrace, :))

Anyhow, we really don't have the team to go far this year, I think we should just stick to taking pride that we're the last one of a disgraceful lot standing.

Besides, how often do you get to see OSFP get raped a day after you've trashed the Rangers in Scotland?

Now that I think about it, it's not that rare an occasion :)

Sorry OSFP friends, I really hate to pound on you when you're down, but come on, 7-0? I mean, you guys usually suck in Europe, but this is an all time low even for you.

Anyway, cheers everyone, have a nice holiday.

Take care.

Look. Let's face it. We've got nothing to lose. There's no pressure on us because everybody knows that we suck this year and that we're not what we were before. Why don't we go out there and bust our asses like we did in Glasgow. I don't think that this team is impenetrable. Plus Mexes or Cisse could leave in January. Teams such as ManU(both), Barca(Cisse), Real(Mexes) and more may put in an offer that's too good to turn down. Plus Boumsong's going to Ibrox so that can't hurt us...I think we can do this. It won't be easy but nothing's easy in Europe...

good point jcl_jcl2002, why should we fear auxerre?

we will be at near full strength with papa,manoli and sotiri coming back from injury,and apart from djibril cisse (who will probably be sold anyway),they dont pose much of an offensive threat.

that, coupled with the january transfers should be greatly advantageous to pao,who i think will triumph over the two legs. :tup:

CMON PAO!!!!!!!!!!!

in fact it was sochaux who pounded dortmund and not auxerre.

still we must be wary of the considerable threat they pose to our advancement in the uefa, tho after the performance against rangers , i remain upbeat about our chances

ox! my fault sorry i get them french mixed up. :)

jcl really good point man i completly forgot that is a while from now. Well be at good health - possibly reinforced with new players (hopefully good ones) and they could lose their only offensive threat to PAO. still requires some caution though

I know of Cisse who plays at Monaco, is this a different one?  :huh:

yes , the one at monaco is edouard cisse (formerly of west ham).djibril cisse is a very powerful and quick forward in the thierry henry mould,who could very well prove to be his natural successor for france.

definitely one to look out for

Guys, today I had an epiphany...

I downloaded PAO's goals from the legendary Champions League campaign of two season ago off of the greenwebfans website. I had never gotten around to doing it and today I had some spare time. It had the CL themesong in the background and this all brought a few tears and tons of goosebumps to me. Some of those goals I had never seen because I live in the States. Some I hadn't seen in a while. This pumped me up so much inside to see the Pana of old. I witnessed the true passion and I could tell how much we really had changed. I know everybody says it, but I truly could feel it...

Seeing Libe's goal against Slavia, Kostaki's goals against Barca, Schalke and Sparta, Manoli's goal at Highbury, those two gorgeous beauties against Real at the Leoforo, and last but not least the PK against Barca at home...

It made me worked up inside. I thought, these guys have the ability to do this. The very last scene on that video was a line: "So what if the dream didn't come true? Proxorama me kefali psila!" That did it for me...If we can tie Madrid at home, and beat Barca, we can massacre Auxerre... Yes we don't have Libe or Karagouni, but cummon, we've still got paixtares from those days. Let's get the f out there and beat the crap out of Auxerre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please download that video as well. I want you to all feel fueled up inside like I did...

http://www.greenwebfans.co.uk/videos/UCL.WMV

JCL

Thanks, Alexo, for that answer. Btw, which one played for Senegal in 2002?

One Auxerre player I have no doubts about is Mexes. Beside the way he defends, PAO will have to watch out for the way he can move the ball upfield like a midfielder.

Thanks, Alexo, for that answer. Btw, which one played for Senegal in 2002?

One Auxerre player I have no doubts about is Mexes. Beside the way he defends, PAO will have to watch out for the way he can move the ball upfield like a midfielder.

the one who played for senegal is aliou cisse , now at birmingham , a tough tackling midfielder similar to roy keane

definitely,our strikers will have to be on top form to get past mexes and boumsong,so lets play with sum heart boys!

mihali has been superb of late,but he needs help,another striker who he can link up with and take some pressure of his shoulders :nw:

cant wait till manolis back!!!

we will strike fear into the hearts of our opponents once again, and who knows , maybe bring the uefa cup home :D

I Love That Video.....

Hey what ever happend to that aditiude, "We can Beat Anyone"??

I miss it so bad...

Mexes is definetely a tough defender and is on his way up for sure. He's gonna have a tough time though with our Mihalaki...But he could well be on his way out as I said...with Manoli coming back, I hope he finds his old form and starts striking fear into opponents like before. Don't worry about Boumsong because he's moving to Rangers in January. Cisse should be our main worry and I think we should have both Central defenders on him and have Zuta drop back and help out with however else will be playing up top. I'm looking at the rest of their roster right now, and the only two that worry me are his potential partners up top: Bonaventure Kalou, and Olivier Kapo. They're pretty dangerous as well. I hope Shum doesn't screw this up and play his 3-6-1 or something...That would be suicide....

auxerre are a team that relies more on teamwork and solid build-up play , rather than individual brilliance.

despite this ,there is no doubt cisse and to a lesser extent kapo and kalou, will pose a serious threat ,but we must equal if not better their workrate to overcome them

it will be a thoroughly entertaining tie im sure,i just hope pao dont fall flat on their faces :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived