Phantis Forums

Lothar Matthaeus

Ziaka

It's almost official. Lothar Matheaus is the new head coach of PAOK. Reports are that he has agreed with PAOK, and PAOK officials will travel tommorrow to Munich to seal the deal. He should be in Thessaloniki on Monday to watch the Iraklis - PAOK game. The contract he will sign with PAOK calls for 1+1 deal.

His coaching history is

Rapid Vienna

Partizan Belgrade

National team of Hungary

He even has his own web site:

Official Lothat Matheaus web site

This guy was a great german football player, who won tons of championships, including the World Cup with Germany.

Regarding his coaching, it sounds like he's so far had a mixed experience (see below). He's still young, only 44 I think.

Article on his tenure with Rapid: (sounds like it went horribly)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/socce...-matthaeus.html

Partizan coaching seems like it went well:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SPORT/football/12/...a.matthaeus.ap/

In 8 games of World Cup qualifying coaching Hungary:

has 4 wins, 1 draw, and 3 loses (sounds ok if you ask me, most recently Hungary lost to 1st place Sweden in the 90th.)

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/...Group=1904.html

It's almost official. Lothar Matheaus is the new head coach of PAOK. Reports are that he has agreed with PAOK, and PAOK officials will travel tommorrow to Munich to seal the deal. He should be in Thessaloniki on Monday to watch the Iraklis - PAOK game. The contract he will sign with PAOK calls for 1+1 deal.

His coaching history is

Rapid Vienna

Partizan Belgrade

National team of Hungary

Good signing for PAOK but i bet you he will NOT be there pass Christmas. He will loose a couple of games and then they will send him home. Typical Greek move!!!!

But again good job on PAOK...

It's almost official. Lothar Matheaus is the new head coach of PAOK. Reports are that he has agreed with PAOK, and PAOK officials will travel tommorrow to Munich to seal the deal. He should be in Thessaloniki on Monday to watch the Iraklis - PAOK game.  The contract he will sign with PAOK calls for 1+1 deal.

His coaching history is

Rapid Vienna

Partizan Belgrade

National team of Hungary

Good signing for PAOK but i bet you he will NOT be there pass Christmas. He will loose a couple of games and then they will send him home. Typical Greek move!!!!

But again good job on PAOK...

HOW TRUE HOW TRUE HOW TRUE

Isn't this what we're used to in Greek Soccer? They can't give managers enough time to build and to actually settle into a club.

Great signing by PAOK :tup:

I don't think Lothar would allow Paok officials or fans for his head on a platter

fact is everybody knows how great of a footballer he is

i believe he was fifa player of the year in 1990 and World cup winner that year

i think his presence will lift the life of Paok

but it has to start this monday when the Salonica derby takes place

Paok needs to win to restore order

I don't know what to quite make of this whole thing. Isn't Mattheus still the national team coach for Hungary? How would he juggle the two positions..or is that even possible? Would he end up having to resign as their coach in order to take his duties at PAOK?

As some of you have already noted, his coaching record isn't all that great either. His last spell at Partizan was encouraging however, so I think I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at what cost? Is he going to cost the club a bundle?

A few too many questions to be answered. I guess I'm just disappointed that things have gone so screwy so quickly for the club. Just don't get it..

not a bad move i would say. i think the players will respect him. if not as a coach then at least as the player everybody knows. and that could give him the chance to do something with the team.

btw, there is a show on on a german channel, where matthäus is coaching a bunch of loosers who have no clue about soccer to become a team. the team is called "borussia banana". :LOL: :LOL:

I hear you Batigol, I have mixed feelings as well regarding the situation. I think it can go either way, either be a good thing or a disaster for PAOK.

Regarding his coaching the Hungary side, now would be an opportune time for him to leave the side, because with the recent loss to Sweden, Hungary was officially eliminated for qualifying for the World Cup.

I don't see him, or anyone for that matter, being able to coach two teams at once.

I don't know how impressed I am with his Partizan coaching, they're a team with a history of great success (with or without him) in Yugoslavia, and have won the Yugoslav national championship 19 times: 1947, 1949, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005.

So its not like he took an average team and made them great... like Otto has done in the past. He just had a respectable showing leading a good team to the group stages in the Champions League.

If this is true about Matthaus, then I believe he could theoretically manage two teams.

For those doubting this, Guus Hiddink is doing exactly this at the moment and he is also hoping to qualify for the world cup with Australia and also have successful campaigns in the CL and in Holland with PSV.

As for Matthaus, he seems a bit of an adventuorus spirit at heart. Austria, Serbia and Hungary. He wants to experience different cultures and different levels of football.

They haven't been the greatest teams. I guess him coaching PAOK fits into this pattern. :P

If it comes through then a high profile football identity might push the under achievers from the North beyond their lame results the last few seasons. I still think how impotent this club has been in the last few years. Losing to Maccabi last year was the lowest. The 5 goal drubbing to thrylos was a low point as well.

Like AEK with Katsouranis, all I hear is how great Salpiggidis is. I think they have achieved nothing and they should start proving something to the greater masses, not only a handful of fanatics. These guys must be the best 5 a side traning game players on earth to earn such rave reviews.

Well he has not signed yet, but according to Thessaloniki media he is strongly considering the offer. His contract with Hungarian FA runs out in December. Considering that Hungary is out WC it is always possible to terminate the contract on mutual basis. I also heard that he might finish the WC qualifying campaign with Hungary in october and then join PAOK. All this is specualtion of course, something that Greek press excells in. Until PAE PAOK makes an official announcement, Kostikos is our coach.

Here is the deal between PAOK and Mattheaus:

He will sign a 2+1 year with PAOK for 600K Euro per year.

He will come to Thessaloniki this week to sign the contract and also attend the PAOK game against Aigaleo on Sunday. Following that game he will be officially presented by PAE PAOK.

He will also attend PAOK's game against Larisa.

He will most likely not travel with the team to Ukraine for the UEFA Cup game.

He will officialy take over coaching duties on October 3rd.

His first official game on PAOK's bench will be against Olympiakos at Karaiskaki.

Well, welcome Lothar, I hope you can sort things out. I hope PAOK gives him the support he needs.

One thing I didn't know (that I just read) is that Lothar guided Partizan to their first showing ever in Champions League. That sounds promising! See below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylc=X3oD...v=afp&type=lgns

Good luck to a very good player! I hope he makes a good coach as you fellows deserve better than being eliminated by the likes of Debrecen, home draws v. Metallurg, etc.

And if he's succeeded before with a black-and-white team, so much the better! :)

for another time Goumenos was very little to make something really good for PAOK!! we are sicked and tired of hearing all the time about news that something happens in the end and nothing happens... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

I think we should be more suspicious from now on..

A RE FOUKARA PAOK POU SE KATANTISAN...

PAOK FOR EVER..

Archived