Phantis Forums

Confed Cup: GREECE - Japan

Ziaka

Lazarus u dont know what ur talking about!! With a full strength Team we can mix it with any1... its DEPTH we dont have.... OR the right players arnt in the squad!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I would like to agree with you that we have a great team, the course of our team immediately following Euro2004 and to date proves otherwise.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Czech Republic, France and Portugal must all be asking themselves - how did we lose to these guys?

Seriously, though, we put together some great games at the Euro, had a bit of luck, and deserved the title as much as any other team can claim to have deserved it.

Unfortunately, due to injuries, and Otto's decision not to bring in new players or to change tactics, we are not competing at the same level anymore. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to bring in Zicos, Lymperopoulos, and Grammozis, to name a few. A mild shake up could help.

If we just lost to Japan 1-0 imagine how much we will get destroyed by Mexico OMG!! I just hope we qualify for the WC cuz if we don't everyone is gonna look down on Greece again.

we dont belong in the world cup!

vryzas and charisteas are no good at the monent!

vryzas should hang his international boots cause he has simply nothing to give!

also giannakopoulos has been a shadow of his bolton performances along with karagounis who also played much better for inter.

we have been clearly underperforming in 4 matches now, a loss against mexico would be the best so otto can feel the pressure he is too oldschool new tactics should be brought in.

i dont think we have the talent/skill/players/tactics to win in denmark it is as simply as that.

we must look into the future and realize that we will also have major problems going to austria/Switzerland to defend our tittle

Seriously, though, we put together some great games at the Euro, had a bit of luck, and deserved the title as much as any other team can claim to have deserved it.

Absolutely!.. We earned that title! And it's going to be ours forever. But unfortunately life goes on and nobody is going to bow to us just because we still are the reigning European champions.

Let's hope that we're able to figure out what we need to do and build a great national team. We might be a little country but we have lots of soul and are resilient.

Call me stupid... but i still think well make Germany next year ... na me thimaste!!!

I sure hope so... We would all love another shot at glory!....

I'm just not that confident we can -- at least with any our teams I've seen in the past four games.

OK, didnt see the match only the goal. But i think we should forget about WC 06, we wont qualify, weve lost that team togetherness. Team spirit is wayyyy low. There is nothing we can take out of this tournament, !!!!NOTHING!!!! this was a bad thing, anyone remember 1994, well i dont, but i know how the ppl felt now. it was a privelege to play in this tournament, but the rewards and glammour from 2004 was shot down.

For those of u over 50 (Pappou, Irlandos) I think they wont see another greek team like that of 2004, as for the rest of us, we will see the Greeks fly in about 50 years time.

Its over... we are pre-Otto again.

I think we lost because of poor organisation, on counter attackes we're a mess, the only reason why the had any chances was because of lack of organisation. This was not the same team that played in euro, we're missing 5 of our key players, our forwards can't score for anything, lack of concentration, frustration and tiredness all together low morale, no self confidence. To tell you the truth I believe if Greece played like they did before euro and during euro we could take any team in the world, fearless of any opponent. At this point Brazil are losing to mexico 1-0, and we are out now. I think Greece just took a step 11 years back. Hopefully we can get back on track for the World Cup which is much more important than this.

best player so far for me is nikopolidis any way you put it, a little lucky against brazil but today he was awesome. I feel sorry for Rehhagle I know he was hoping for a much better performance than this now that he is in his home country. I just hope the boys put self belief back into their system, it's the only way they'll accomplish something wonderful again.

Mexico beat Brazil 1-0. We are officially eliminated from the tournament. Moreover, we are guantareed to finish fourth, irrespective of what we do against Mexico.

Hopefully we have learned a lesson from this. We need to have proper backups who can actually step in and cover for our injured players. The two most notable absences to me were Zagorakis and Seitaridis. Both players can control the ball and create opportunities for our other players. Defense was not our problem, so the absence of Kapsis and Dellas did not amount for much - unless of course their presence really does boost the confidence of the team to such a level as to play without fear. Against Japan we could not control the midfield and we gave them WAY to much space. We also need forwards who can create AND score. I said this before, but maybe we will see a shakeup of sorts in September. If our regular backups from 2004 can't cut it, others should be given a chance to perform.

Another dissapointing loss. Even though its an exhibition tournament, Greece did not play well today or against Brazil. Euro champs they are, but not playing like it. Even though they have injuries and fatigue, Greece could have done better. No goals in the last 4 games. Cant score. We're already eliminated. Rehhagel must do a lot of analyzing and see what needs to be changed.

But it is good this is coming now, in a tournament that has no real meaning, instead of during our next crucial WC qualifers.

I'm hopeful of a 1-0 victory, but a draw is more likely (heck a loss wouldn't surprise me after the performance against Brazil).

Otto should absolutely, definitely start Papadopoulos and Amanatidis. Charisteas should serve as a sub if needed. As for the defense, is Kapsis injured for the rest of the tournament, or is it a day-to-day thing? If we get him back, our chances improve dramatically.

Japan, although they lost to Mexico, are a solid team but they can be exposed defensively. It should be a pretty even game.

Greece will loose agains japan if they dont play with new Strikers like Amanatidis atn the beginning of the match... they have to think more forward they have enough good midfielders and defenders but Charisteas stays everytime a little bit alone in the offense...

So if Otto dont changes his mind he will get no victory against a strong technical team like Japan.

GO JAPAN !!!

I said it !!!

Greece must have more strikers and they have to play more with pressing.....

pressing ...pressing .....and at least 3 Strikers playing at the beginning of a game...

Let me be the Greek Coach and I will guide you to Germany .... dosnt matter I am a Turk I hope....

:D Or why dont Otto look at turkish Team and notice some tactics from the Turks.... :D

At this point against Mexico, its time to try all the players on the bench, and see if anyone steps up. You never know, some of these players must be dying to show what they're worth. If anyone steps up, then use them at the WC qualifiers.

Well well well, Welcome back Hellas of 1994!!!!

We ###### sucked!!! we are a joke and anyone who can sit here and say otherwise is a patriotic fool!!

Wake up were not that strong!!!

We need new blood, and new tactics however this isnt going to change untill we lose out our world cup dreams and otto retires....

P.S were not going to make it, i dnt care what u say this is very evident in the last 4 games, we dnt have it anymore and we are a 1 hit wonder...

i don't know if this stat is worthy of mentioning

but the confederation cup is called the mini world cup

well if u combine the 1994 world cup and 2005 confederation cup games

we are currently 0 wins 4 losses and 0 draws

we clearly have been out of form for quite a while

in Euro 2004 we played our style of defensive and counter attacking football

granted we didn't dominate in the statistics but we controlled the tempo of the game which we haven't done for quite a long while

teams now that Chariteas is basically a statue if the ball isn't in his feet

Vryzas is not a top quality striker and well he should jsut move on

Karagounis and Giannakopoulos are depended to do way more then they are capable of doing

remember they are both good players but they aren't zidane, nedved and etc.

then this leaves it to the defense who can do all they can

i mean in these two games

did u see how quick the opposition team got from there defensive field to the offensive side of things

teams have basically figured us out and our counter attacking options

i didn't see the game but i'm downloading it right now. but judging from what i' ve read in here, it looks like much of the same as the game vs. Brazil, long balls going nowhere and poor organization and passing.

again the tactics disappointed me. subbing Tav for Tsiartas after a half hour. how was Tsartas? did he look tired? was he completing his passes/crosses/long balls. Otto does not seem yet to have realized that this guy can only last 20-30mins. i suspect he gave a similar performance as that in the Ukraine match. again the Papadopoulos substitution should have been made earlier.

up front Vryzas/Charisteas can't score even 1 goal between the two of them if their life depended on it. all i have to say for now is where is Samaras!

Archived