Phantis Forums

WCq: Turkey - GREECE

dimitrakis

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also remember the first match of the euro 2004 against portugal, where vryzas dummied over the ball in the opening minutes of the match, allowing charistea a glorious chance from 10 yards out...and charistea did a tsaffff.

YES i remember exactly what you are talking about, but if i remember correctly he did shoot with his left foot.

but man that game brings back sweet memories

i agree Vryzas is underrated, i think because of his age, i said in a previous post that i expect him to be captain vs. Turkey.

if otto is already planning on using a 'libero', then we know he'll use 3 in the back. but if basinas plays as the sweeper, will kafes be part of a 3-man central midfield? katsouranis-karagounis-kafes?

if anything, would one feel more secure with a true defender as libero instead of the defensive center midfielder basinas?..a goumas? a kyrgiakos (haha, i'd still rather him play as a man-marking centerback), a tavlaridis? even katsourani has probably played better as a sweeper in his 2 matches as a sweeper, compared to basinas' 1 match as a sweeper.

i guess we'll find out on saturday.

if Basinas plays as sweeper, i think Otto is trying exploit Turkey's weakness on the defensive flanks. he'll use 3 backs and Fyssas as left wing back knowing Stelios has no left foot, this would create problems for Turkey's right fullback. i think Otto is trying to attack the other teams weakness with this strategy and i like the idea. Or he could use Tsartas in place of Fyssas B) If Basians is indeed sweeper, i see a lineup like this (3-5-2)

--------------------Vryzas----------Charisteas

---------------------Stelios----------Kara

Fyssas/Tsartas---------------Kats-----------------Giourkas

--------Goumas/Soti------Basinas-----------Kapsis

--------------------------Nikopolidis

The game with turkey is where the money is. A defeat will be worst result for us in getting a spot in World Cup Finals.

We must get a point to ensure a chance in going thru. If we can succeed, then we are on our way. We will defeat ukraine a home, but it all depends what happens in Turkey.

You cannot compare the greece form from the first game in Athens, as greece was recovering from euro win. If Turks base there game from the first meeting, that will benefit us. This is probably our most crucial game in the group.

If we are good enough, we will get the result. Both teams are good, but greece has come a long way since previous meetings between both countries.

It will be a good game, as long there is no political inteference by idiots on both sides. Lets soccer be champion on the night.

Lets show the rest of europe that our football is top class. That games are not won by intimidation and racism...................................

My friends, take a look at the latest on Tekke

http://www.epo.gr/detail.asp?e_article_id=...ticle_cat_id=19

Apparently he will need to get injected if he is to see any playing time. It appears to be a hernia problem....? He is willing and ready...what a trooper, you got love his desire.

There was a few players that have not practised with Turkey...Tekke one of them.

Turkcell....I will not use any %'s....however, your thoughts on Tekke....personally, he is one player and you have depth in the offense.

This game will define our WC status

i mean we will be up against the Turkish nation and a team knowing they need a win at all costs

we on the other hand will be looking to end Turkey's wc dreams with a win here

both teams are not a 100%

but Greece has the confidence factor b/c they have won on hostile territory before maybe not to this magnitude but we can win

Stelios, Karagounis, and Charisteas are the key offensively

Katsouranis will look like to take Zagorakis position thats key

the defensive line of Greece will be the most important part of the game

if they stifle and frustrate the Turks this will cause Turkey to press and make mistakes

that is where we must capitalize on there mistakes

Lets go Ellas

i believe Markus Merk will referee this game he was the referee in the finals between Greece v Portugal

Lets go Ellas

--------------------Vryzas----------Charisteas

---------------------Stelios----------Kara

Fyssas/Tsartas---------------Kats-----------------Giourkas

--------Goumas/Soti------Basinas-----------Kapsis

--------------------------Nikopolidis

This line-up I like alot, though I'd be surprised if Otto uses it (knowing how stubborn he is). Though I don't like the idea of Basinas as a sweeper at all, it allows for us to have a left footed option in the midfield and some attacking pace on the right (Giourkas) along with up front (Karagounis and Stelios). Definately a good idea by Otto to attack Turkey's weakness. Though defensively I'd rather have Goumas on the wing and Kyraigos in the middle. Kapsis on the right is fine. Though if we needed to play defensive to hold on or their beating down with their attack, Fyssas (I don't see how Tsartas could start, though he could sub in there if we needed some offense in the midfield) and Giourkas would drop back on the wings making it a 5-1-2-2/5-3-2 formation). This also allows Stelios and Karagounis to do what they do best and attack while Katsouranis (or Basinas) is a solid defensive mid. Good idea.

Oh yeah, Markus Merk is the ref for this game so we shouldn't have to worry about the refs (for once :D ). Vryzas as a captian would be our best choice but I think would Stelios would do OK as well. I can see us getting a 2-0 result from this game, with Karagounis and Vryzas being the goalscorers.

Your thoughts...?

Guys,

All the speculation will be answered in the next two days.

As I reported earlier, Tekke had a hernia and apparently is not 100%

From my point of view, our main threat will come from these three players: #1 Ates, #2 Embre, and #3 Tekke. If we could manage to close down those three players, my hope for a tie will be acheived. Although some of you are saying this is just a soccer game, it is definitely NOT JUST A SOCCER GAME!

Why would the Turkish Federation give every fan a free Turkish flag for the game?? And maybe also a free jersey? So therefore this game is mostly physcological.

We must hold up the Turks in the first twenty minutes because the Turks will go all out in this time. Just imagine what kind of pressure will be placed on our players....with 35 thousand screaming and yelling fans waving a sea of red flags for our players to keep their cool.

But this must win situation for the Turks will no doubt also be their weakness. We must capitalize on every opportunity on the counter attack.

We have a more experienced soccer team than the Turks and that will definitely be to our advantage!

With a little luck we will acheive our desired goal.

The rest is up to the coaches, and players to carry out their mission.

35 thousand free flags must be nice, eh Turks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Best of luck

ELLADA PANDA ELLADA :gr:

Lineup

Antonis Nikopolidis wil start. Chalkias was injured but is OK and will play as a reserve goalie.

Basinas will replace Dellas

Kyrgiakos and Kapsis will be by Basinas side in defense

Seitaridis and Fyssas will play right and left back half respectively

Karagounis and Katsouranis will be playing at the centre

Giannakopoulos will play left half

Charisteas will play right half

Vryzas will be at the heart of the offense.

Geia sas paidia,

I have been a long time reader of these forums and recently taken interest in this particular thread with the imminent matches of the National Team against Turkey and the Ukraine. I have a few points I like to make. Maybe they have been expressed before, possibly they have been considered by many of you. Anyway, here I go.

It's great to see the enthusiasm from fellow Greeks in relation to our NT. For too long we have been the most inconsistent laughing stock in international football.

In recent years we saw countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Belgium and the Scandinavians to name just a few, prove formidable opponents to the world and gain the ascendency while little Greece with it’s defeatist attitude provided limp resistance to the most lamest of teams.

We obviously had the talent. We had similar populations and resources but we as a nation with our pessimistic outlook and our pettiness could never climb beyond the realm of also rans.

Qualifying for the Euro Championships back in 1980 obviously was not a foundation for bigger and better things that such an achievement warranted as we all had to endure the disgraceful episode at the 1994 WC in the US.

Aside from Niko Machlas, Savvas Kofidis and 1 or 2 other players, the other "squad" members did nothing but dishonour themselves, their families and the 15-20 Million Ellines (Especially the American omogenis, who turned out in their thousands to welcome these pathetic proodotes!) in 1994.

Greeks throughout the world were disgraced with the motley bunch of so called footballers and their "performances" or lack thereof during the tournament and even the weeks before. These guys were nothing more than glorified weekend pub players caring more about womanising and gambling. Alketas Panagoulias standing on the side lines like a pimp with this cigar.

My heart broke and my blood boiled with the taunts I heard by Yugoslavs, Italians, Spanish and all the others because I cared enough to support my beloved ELLAS!

Does anyone remember the lead up when Greece travelled to London's Wembley to play England and even though they had as much as 60% of the possession in that match, they flew back to Greece with a 5 - 0 spanking! I remember the commentator trying to be diplomatic. He said something to the effect how even though Greece lost 5 zip, at least they, and not England were going to the US for the WC.

I wish they had never qualified. They built up many hard working Greeks expectations, then went about humiliating these proud Greeks by losing 4 nil to one of the worst Argentina teams in decades, 4 nil to an average Bulgaria who haven't done anything since (finishing 4th in this tournament was a fluke!) and 2 nil to a Nigeria who probably over-achieved.

Anyway, I have digressed. Maybe the Greek football loving public needed these experiences to savour the fact that our national side are the European Champions?! :)

To our immediate challenges. I have been a bit worried to hear and read the comments coming out of the Greek camp about going for a draw. If this isn't gamesmanship and a smoke screen on Renhagel's part, then this thinking is ludicrous and can backfire!

We are the European champions! We do NOT go into a game against an ordinary team that lost 0 - 3 to an equally ordinary Ukraine aiming for a draw. Maybe the talk out of the ethinikis camp is purely psychological and the boys are primed for taking the 3 points - I hope this is the case. I just hope they don't play for a draw against the Turks.

We drew at home in the first game, this time we should go all out fighting for victory! Second place in the group might not be good enough. We should be at the top of this group. A draw will be an ideal result against the tough Danes in Denmark, not against the average Asians in the Poli.

Even the Albanians didn't play for a draw against these great Asian Mongol invaders.

Also we can forget about the odds that bookmakers are offering for this match. I could have retired after the first game at Euro 2004 against Portugal as I was sure that we were never going to lose that match, even though we shut up shop the last 20 minutes and let them into the game.

So as I am in the antipodes and I have more important matters to attend to during the morning of the 4th when the match will be played, I hope I can pleasantly discover the result.

ZHTW ELLAS!

how can be so sure thar greece win.. it is obvious that we have many advantage.

you will not have zalgaris and dellas, there will be no greek fans without t-shirts, oh no greek fans with t-shirts either! plus, no blue-white but too much red-white as the federation give all the supporters Turkey's uniform and flag. however i have already got them.. and the atmosphere of Inonu never likes any stadium in Turkey . i am a Galatasaray fan but i know Inonu has a magnificient atmosphere and can turn easily a chaotic atmosphere for visitor teams. you will see your footballer's face on TV then understand what i mean..

geia sou

Actually I think that these kind of atmoshpperes are the best for players to perform in

I dont think its intimidating

In National Championships it begins to feel intimidating when trouble breaks out, items thrown etc...

In an NT match I dont think this will be the case

So in fact I think on Saturday what we will have is the setup for a magnificant game full of tension

Seriously, don't you have any thing more intelligent to write or are you a child ?

Cimbom,

Thanks for letting me know to write something more intelligent....yeah right.

#########

---

Please leave Politics out of it

Thanks

Please Deniz and Manolis... Chill out!... No personal attacks and no ethnic stereotyping. Please! All members in here should be and are treated with the same amount of respect, regardless of age, religion, race or nationality.

Archived