Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Group B - France - Greece (19 June 2023 21:45 EET, Stade de France, Saint-Denis)

This group plays hard.  Could have the score been more lopsided, maybe. They had their chances but overall, being a man down away in Paris, they did fine especially since the only goal they conceded was a penalty retake. One thing that is for sure, Vlacho is our number one for the duration!!

• Like it 2

The way France was able to score after retaking the penalty was so unlucky. But even though we lost this was another step in the right direction for this team. I truly believe we are starting to turn the corner. 2nd place is very doable and worst case Turkey looks good to qualify so that makes our chances even better in the nations league if we need it.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

3 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

This group plays hard.  Could have the score been more lopsided, maybe. They had their chances but overall, being a man down away in Paris, they did fine especially since the only goal they conceded was a penalty retake. One thing that is for sure, Vlacho is our number one for the duration!!

The draw was there to be had. France could have played another hour and not scored in open play! Mavropanos & the ref screwed us!!

The take one the game from international press (not the FOX commentators) is mostly positive..

"Greece had won seven of their previous eight competitive fixtures, losing only one – and you could see why"

Full-time verdict: How many times have we seen this? France are not at their fluid best but still find a way to win. They could have made it easier for themselves with some more clinical finishing, but credit to Greece who made it very difficult for the hosts, even when they were down to ten men in the closing stages. With four wins from four, Deschamps' men are now six points clear at the top of the group. UEFA EURO 2024 is a big step closer for Les Bleus.

• Like it 2

Highlights.

Very harsh to let them retake the penalty the infringement was microscopic and probably amounts to a millisecond of time. 

Also notice the ref literally throwing around yellow and red cards. On the red later on he first shows a red and then a yellow. He was just so card happy he didn't know what he was doing!

Edited by ChrisT
  • Like it 1

3 hours ago, ChrisT said:

Highlights.

Very harsh to let them retake the penalty the infringement was microscopic and probably amounts to a millisecond of time. 

Also notice the ref literally throwing around yellow and red cards. On the red later on he first shows a red and then a yellow. He was just so card happy he didn't know what he was doing!

I think part of it was the ref giving it back for not calling the prior penalties.  A few points:

1 - There were potentially 3 penalties that could have been called.  The one that was, was a penalty.  The retake was suspect.

2 - The red card was a red card.  Even if it wasn't a red card, it would have been a yellow which would have been a red card. 

3 - Our defense was good - we did make a few mistakes but overall, France was relying on penalty calls to score.  Think about that, a team which pummeled the Netherlands 4-0 had to rely on penalty calls to score on us.  That's pretty impressive. And by the way, we played with 10 men.

• Like it 3

11 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I think part of it was the ref giving it back for not calling the prior penalties.  A few points:

1 - There were potentially 3 penalties that could have been called.  The one that was, was a penalty.  The retake was suspect.

2 - The red card was a red card.  Even if it wasn't a red card, it would have been a yellow which would have been a red card. 

3 - Our defense was good - we did make a few mistakes but overall, France was relying on penalty calls to score.  Think about that, a team which pummeled the Netherlands 4-0 had to rely on penalty calls to score on us.  That's pretty impressive. And by the way, we played with 10 men.

Yes thank you. The ref didn’t f us up. Mavropanos should’ve gotten a red after the first challenge where he kicked the Frenchie. VAR ruled the player left early and let the ref know. At that point he can’t do anything. 
We got lucky we didn’t give away a PK earlier too.

• Like it 2

At the end of the day like some guys said already France had to rely on a penalty to beat us. We held our own and we showed we won’t be an easy out for any team. This to me even though we lost was a huge confidence booster and we are really starting to show that this team is starting to put it together and hopefully have leave the dreadful years behind us. I haven’t read one negative article or listened to one negative podcast about how Greece played. Everything was very positive even from the French media. 

In September we play in Holland first and then against Gibraltar at home. Netherlands plays us and then go into Ireland. At the very least if we can get a draw against the Netherlands we should easily get 3 points against Gibraltar which will still keep us ahead of them. Hopefully they also drop points in Ireland. This is the first time in years where I actually feel optimistic about this team.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 5

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

At the end of the day like some guys said already France had to rely on a penalty to beat us. We held our own and we showed we won’t be an easy out for any team. This to me even though we lost was a huge confidence booster and we are really starting to show that this team is starting to put it together and hopefully have leave the dreadful years behind us. I haven’t read one negative article or listened to one negative podcast about how Greece played. Everything was very positive even from the French media. 

In September we play in Holland first and then against Gibraltar at home. Netherlands plays us and then go into Ireland. At the very least if we can get a draw against the Netherlands we should easily get 3 points against Gibraltar which will still keep us ahead of them. Hopefully they also drop points in Ireland. This is the first time in years where I actually feel optimistic about this team.

The WC qualifiers we had a few years back with Skibbe was also promising, until he got the line-up wrong against Croatia.

• Like it 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, J1078 said:

Lots to be positive about with the NT during this window. We beat Ireland which was essential and kept them behind us. Then the team went to France who I believe are the best country in world football when you look at the lineup they throw out and what players are on the bench. So to go into France where Holland got crushed and only loose on a pen is commendable. The French couldn’t score even after Mavropanos red card where they botched a 2 v1 and 4 v 1 as well. Mavropanos basically threw the game away as I believe we would have held them to a nil nil draw. Regardless I’m proud of the performance and how calm the team was especially in the first half. I believe we will get a draw in Holland and that will set us up well because I could see Ireland holding the Dutch to a draw in the following match day. I believe the Ethniki will lock up 2nd and a Euro ticket when the Dutch come to Athens where they will taste defeat.

• Like it 4