Phantis Forums

PAOK in Europe 2023-2024 (News, Draws, Rankings)

Blackhawk

• 1 month later...

Looks like we have a list already?

Μπάμπα, Τάισον, Γιόνι, Ντεσπόντοφ, Εκόνγκ, Γιαξής, Κεντζιόρα , Κωνσταντέλιας , Κοτάρσκι , Κουλιεράκης, Μεϊτέ, Μιχαηλίδης, Μουργκ , Οζντόεφ, Σαμάτα , Σβαμπ, Μάρκος Αντόνιο , Ταλιχμανίδης, Μπράντον, Τσιγγάρας, Βιεϊρίνια, Ζίβκοβιτς , Α.Ζίβκοβιτς

Any surprises here? For me, maybe the omission of Tzimas, though he's probably on the back-up list. I notice Nasberg is off the list as well.

Sastre and Nasberg were not on the original list, but I am surprised he has not been included in the new list. Tzimas will be on the Player List B which will be announced later.

I would prefer to see Sastre there too, but Kedziora may be more what Lucescu's looking for in a backup, if he wants pure defense (esp since we'll likely be up against a stronger opponent).

This is little bit complicated. Here are the UEFA rules for adding players past the play-off knockout stage:  

As of the knockout round play-offs, a club may register a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current competition. Such registration must be completed by 2 February 2024 (24.00CET) at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.

Any or all of the players from the above quota of three may have been fielded for another club in the qualifying phase, play-offs or group stage of the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or UEFA Europa Conference League.

If the registration of such new players causes the number of players on List A to exceed 25, the club must remove the necessary number of currently registered players to reduce the squad to 25 players again. The quota of the "locally trained players" must be respected when registering new players. Newly registered players must wear set numbers.

If a club cannot count on the services of at least two goalkeepers registered on List A because of long-term injury or illness, the club concerned may temporarily replace the goalkeeper concerned and register a new goalkeeper at any time during the season and complete the official registration list A with a goalkeeper fit to be fielded. An injury or illness is considered long-term if it lasts at least 30 days as of the day the injury or illness occurred. In case the recovery of the goalkeeper occurs before this 30 day period, the player must remain out of the players List A until the end of such period. If the replaced goalkeeper was registered as a locally trained player, the new goalkeeper does not need to be a locally trained player. The club must provide UEFA with the necessary medical evidence in one of UEFA's official languages. UEFA may require further medical examination of the goalkeeper by an expert appointed by UEFA at the cost of the club. Once the injured or ill goalkeeper is fit to be fielded again he can resume his position in place of his nominated substitute. The return of the original goalkeeper must be announced to the UEFA administration 24 hours before the next match in which the original goalkeeper is due to play.

The way I understand it, we only made 1 change and that was Jonny replacing Rafa Soares in the A list. The reason we ended up with only 23 on the main list is because we loaned/sold Lyratzis and Vrakas that were part of the home grown players on the previous list. In order to comply with UEFA rules those two will need to be replaced by home grown players so we can meet the minimum of 8 home grown players. The two new home based players will no doubt be included in the B list of players. Sastre was never in the original list, so with the only available change Lucescu chose Jonny over Sastre.

Looking at it I think it make sense. Jonny is new to the club and might not be completely ready for the upcoming derbies. By the time the first European games come in March, he will be more familiar with the team. In the meantime Sastre will be our main RB for the Superleague games.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Draw for the Round of 16 of Conference League takes place tomorrow. 

Games will be played March 7 (away) and March 14 (Toumba).

Possible opponents:

Maccabi Haifa
Sturm Graz
Servette Geneva
Dinamo Zagreb
Ajax Amsterdam
Molde FK
Union St. Gilloise
--------------------
Olympiakos Piraeus

1 hour ago, Dutch Eagle said:

Not to bad. Dinamo is in it's worst condition ever. 

I know basically nothing about their current state, is something going on with the club? Or is this just a case of their current form being poor?

They have some really good players, as well as some good young talent in the system ( I signed Luka Vrbancic from them in FM for PAOK and sold him for $30 mil). Some other big named players as well. Started off this European campaign in the Champions League, obviously lost to AEK.

We may be favored but I don't see us advancing, which sucks cause OLY got a much better draw from the unseeded pot

I am also leaning towards probably not advancing. We have serious issues on defense going in to the rest of the season with only 3 CB's.

If we can get a result (win or tie) in Zagreb, we might stand a chance.

And as usual an ex-PAOK player (Misic) will most likely score against us.