Phantis Forums

Lets take a look at some comparisons.

I repeat, mods should lock this thread. It is illogical, serves nothing and is downright offensive.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea behind the thread. Certainly nothing offensive. We have consistently said much worse about our own.

It`s perfectly fine to compare two national teams as often the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but measuring head-to-head individuals playing in some Asian leagues against footballers starring for top tier clubs like Bayer, Dortmund, Roma and Benfica, and claiming that the former are all equal or greater than the latter is as bias and misguided as they come.

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

Greece is much better than Australia NT IMO.

However, the psychology of the Greek NT is really really bad atm. So I wouldn't be surprised if Australia picks up a 1-0 gritty win.

I'd say Greece is equal or better in every position. 90% of positions better.

Edited by georgelaz

No diserespect to the OP but, come on man, Greece is better than Australia. We have guys playing all over Europe, most of which are stars on tgeir teams. Karnezis has kept a young Scufet on the bench, Mitroglou has been reeking havock in Portugal and our defensive duo have been solid in difficult leagues. One of them actually went up against Cristiano Ronaldo yesterday and actually faired pretty well if you ask me. Australia's most famous player is Cahill, nobody else knows about the others except Aussies..

Not only have our defenders been solid, Sokratis is one of the top defenders in a strong bundesliga and Manolas is flat-out the best CB in Italy.

I respect ur honesty Reap. I hope Hellas win 4-2. I feel the greek player are not light years ahead like these dreamers. Difference is, these guys worship whereas taking an objective, realistic view is difficult for most. People in other countries haven't heard of many players everywhere. Ask people here who Tachtsidis, Pelkas, Fetfa are, they will tell you they work at the Yeeros shop up at Brighton.

Fair call. Who would you back for your life BASED on international performances against anyone; Mitroglou or Cahill-at 36 even? Vellios hasn't played yet, don't know if he will succeed. Karelis played on the wing. He was awfull, spraying shots over the bar. In the middle he might well be a genius, have't seen it though. I'll take Sainsbury or a fit Rhys Williams over Manolas. I don't care if he plays for Barcelona. These upcoming matches will be tooth and nail..

True perception, although evidence shows quite a different story. There were 9-10 different scorers during the Asian cup.. Who is the standout behind Mitroglou? I cannot believe the criticism this man has received over the years, for his supposed inferior showings in front of goal and being lazy, by his own supporters!! Was all that true from our very well informed posters on this and previous forums??

Is he now the gun saviour for the Ethniki? We might have people with twin personalities on this forum. Mitro has been painted as a guy who should be blacklisted from the Greek side. Now he is a superboot. Your kidding!

I respect ur honesty Reap. I hope Hellas win 4-2. I feel the greek player are not light years ahead like these dreamers. Difference is, these guys worship whereas taking an objective, realistic view is difficult for most. People in other countries haven't heard of many players everywhere. Ask people here who Tachtsidis, Pelkas, Fetfa are, they will tell you they work at the Yeeros shop up at Brighton.

Sokratis, Manolas and K Papadopoulos are light years ahead of anything Australia has ever produced. These are not opinions, but facts. You dn`t have to look very deep for proof.

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

and do you think anyone in the football world knows Mooy? spiranovic? sainsbury?

I think you are looking at it too much from an aussie school yard , bbq perspective....

people here do not know Taxi, Samaris,Pelkas, Fortounis..

but other than Cahill  who turns 37 this year....NO ONE IN THE FOOTBALL WORLD KNOWS  VIRTUALLY ANY OTHER SOCCEROO..

• Like it 1

I'll take Sainsbury or a fit Rhys Williams over Manolas. I don't care if he plays for Barcelona.

are you serious??

what next? Perth Glory will beat Barca??

Can you imagine the hype and hysteria if Socceroos had players playing for Dortmund, Roma, Benfica, Genoa, Udinese, Olympiakos, Genk???

I think you need to differentiate between parochial chest beating Foxsports style  ratings propaganda and the real world..

Do you spend time on aussie soccer forums?? and get caught up on all the 'euro snob" dribble??

Remember these are the guys who are excited about capping Giannou...a guy who struggled at Platanias and PAOK.....and had one good season at Panionios....in a country and league these 'haters' love to bag?

you see the irony? they don't rate Euro/greek football......yet are excited to cap a  product from that league who largely was disappointing in his career..

• Like it 2

lol, no same thing

Not even, samaras is only known cos of his links to Melbourne, I think in America they have a broader knowledge of the game thanks to a heavy Latino influence to go with the euro interest, here in Australia if you haven't played a significant time in the English premier league/Barcelona or Real Madrid you may as well not exist.

The most famous all time Greek players in oz would be Dabizas and kyrgiakos thanks to the stints they had at Newcastle and Liverpool respectively. They wouldn't have a clue down here who manolas or our other euro based players are currently.

Someone asked me about Hatzipanagis and Charisteas the other day, I said they were fine. You do want the Ethniki to win Ethnikiman, but it seams you think the opposition might be abit too much of a challenge. Might well be, we will see.

Edited by ausgreek