Phantis Forums

SL-R2: PAS Giannina - PAOK FC (30-Aug-15, 21:30 GR)

Blackhawk

Giannina knew we'd try to get in behind and use Mak's & Jairo's pace, so they sat back and allowed no room for them to run behind, we were toothless. Needed a real Striker today that could play with his back toward goal and distribute to on running midfielders like Pelkas.

Kace was absolutely terrible, along with Olsen and Sabo, they'd be my 3 worst on ground, Tziolis not far off. Olsen might be the worst purchase we've ever made, Sabo was invisible until he popped up for an own goal. Kace took 8 corners, none of which went over the defender at the front post, failed to win tackles. Watching both him and Tziolis attempt to spray balls wide to Konstantinidis and Leovac actually became humorous.

Edited by Pontos

Giannina knew we'd try to get in behind and use Mak's & Jairo's pace, so they sat back and allowed no room for them to run behind, we were toothless. Needed a real Striker today that could play with his back toward goal and distribute to on running midfielders like Pelkas.

I wonder if pace is our only trick? Part of the plan Arnesen seems to want to put together, is to form a team of young people who play with a certain style, a la Dortmund when they began their resurrection. Perhaps he forgot that other teams watch tapes, and can adapt?

True, as the game wore on and we copped another goal he did try to make things happen by himself and lost the ball a couple times but I'm fine with that. He had a solid game, perhaps the only one out there.

Leovac I thought was solid aside from one bad pass he gave that was intercepted and quickly turned into a counter attack. Again as we got further into the game errors crept in because we were trying to be more direct. Was unlucky not to have an assist with those two killer balls he put across the box.

To be honest, I kind of expected this.

We all got way over excited about a 5-0 win over Brondby who practically let us walk through their defense.

If this team wants to be champions, you can not be copping 3 goals against such weak and minor teams. 

This is the main way the Gavroi win, capitalise those crummy away wins and collect the 3 points, however all we do is blow them away and see ourselves slowly falling down the ladder.

I'm just upset because we have had a bad start. 

• Like it 1

Just watched the goal. I wonder how many goals Olsen can give away before his place will be in jeopardy. 

12.  Seriously though, now that we have him, we have to play him.  If I was Savvidis, and Arnesen or Tudor came up to me and said "We are thinking about getting another keeper", I'd say "Sure mate, no problem.  I'll pay for another keeper, if you can cut him loose.  Any monetary losses made can come out of your wages.  In the meantime, you play him or Glykos.".

So it seems Olsen has a problem with judging how/when to come out.  He has the physique, it's not like he's small.  Now that it's becoming a bit of a habit, I can see teams targeting this.  Hopefully it's something he can work on and improve, and it's not an ingrained part of his game.

From the little I saw in the highlights, Pelkas is on point and the real deal so far.  Mak continues to miss goal opportunities that should be in.  The kid Sabo has his head up his ass, from the play where he jumps at the ball when he's clearly offside by a mile, to the own-goal he was a liability.  I didn't notice much else, except we did have a few opportunities, and again, I feel like Klaus would have made a difference.  We finally have a midfield and group that can create the kind of opportunities he excels at.

After we went down 2:0 the game was pretty much over, and the team accepted the fate. The red card didn't make matters any easier.

We did not play as bad as the score would suggest. Sure their first goal  was a cheap giveaway by the goalie and our defense (3 CB's watching, while PAS player heads the ball in). Right after the goal the team bounced back and had at least 5 clear cut chances to score. Never mind the fact that Giachos missed a hand ball which should have been a penalty right after their goal. The score could have easily been 3:1 for us by half-time.

Anyway the Sabo own goal basically took the wind out of the team. Time to regroup during the break, and get ready for the rest of the season which will be a long affair.

As for Olsen (and Glykos), it might be time to send them a message by starting the 3rd stringer in our next game.