Phantis Forums

Preseason 2015

Accor6

It seems this team will always give up cheap goals. There is something seriously messed up here to a point were we go through periods were we lose our heads completely.

What is more worrying is that we fail to create chances. Anastasiou tried a 4-4-2 rombo for the first 25 min before altering to a 4-5-1 and finishing with a 4-2-3-1 to no avail. The lack of natural wingers doesn't help either.

At least we got to see nano and steel back. Steel is not 100%, but the difference in quality is obvious. Nano was the only one wiping in crosses.

What the hell happened to Marinakis and Donis? Both of them looked very promising but they are turning out like Trianta. It hearts me to say this but a lot of players from our youth team aren't good enough. Lagos might be the only exception.  

I'm afraid you are right. Donis has no place on this team, it didn't help also that he is contemplating his future. Marinakis showed some promise, got us all asking why he was loaned out. I guess now it's obvious why.

Lagos at least offers something.

I hope aggelopoulos, the kid that came on for zeca doesn't follow the same path as donis. Looks a better player though.

If you were to go back and watch videos of the playoffs, you will have a hard time convincing yourself that this is the same team.

I've somewhat noticed a pattern. Unless we score early, the team loses confident. We let in second halve goals and then and there, the players give up. This is extremely F***ed up. We need to shake this before the season starts.

Everyone needs to chill out, it was only a friendly game. The team performed ok for 80 minutes then one mistake from the kid Angelopoulos who failed to keep the offside line cost us the first goal. After that the team gave up which is something that they should not do when you play for a club like PAO. Anyways show some faith on this team giati pame gia megala pragmata fetos na to thimaste...!! 

Edited by GreenShadow13

Tavlaridis has improved with age. He was solid with gordon at the back. It's a shame gordon has left because they had amazing chemistry. This is the first thing anastasiou needs to address.

Edited by val
  • Like it 1

I agree with you, they should scrap the playoffs.  Even though PAO has benefitted from this in the past. This is not basketball. Actually it has harmed the Greek teams, because apparently they are not 100% ready when they play euro teams for all sorts of qualifications.

All the big teams expect preferential treatment, but it was Oly that managed to establish dominance behind the scenes--a thing I'll never forgive Tzigger for. He was a very rich but totally incompetent leader of a team.

Ireeeeeeemise filiko itane!!! 

Oxi den tha iremisw....  

We looked like s%$#! AGAIN... Preseason is a time where you find your problems and you work on them and during the preseason these problems get better...   Well... we've seen the SAME problem for 1.5 months now and still no solution... in fact, in some areas we got worse....

We aren't a team for Europe... teleia kai pavla....  I've said it once.. I've said it a thousand times....

This team is meant to play against the likes of Astera, Atromito, Levadiako, Panionios and the likes....  the moment we leave the borders...... don't even get me started...einai ametrites i FAPES....

3-0 apo tin Brugge

3-0 apo tin Real Sociedad

2-0 apo ton Ajax

2-0 ap tin Estoril

1-3 apo tin Standard

2-0 apo tin Dinamo

Some of these were friendlies.. but the difference in quality was evident... not only taht... but the attitude of our players played as though they were a bunch of amateurs against pro squads.... This team is 1-2 years and 3 1st team players away from actually competing in Europe and doing OK

When you have Moyes... a washed up coach who reports to the media that his team didn't play well when they just scored 3 goals on you, its time to close up shop.......

Loipon mbazoume apo pantou!

Exomai katantisei OI KARPAZOEISPRAKTORES THS EYROPHS!

Anastasiou kai sia kante kati yiati pame kata diavolou...

Oi 3ared diadexontai i mia tin alli ki auto einai poli anusixitiko...!

Yah I'm actually getting VERY tired of Anastasiou and his stupid media statements... not only that.. but his lack of vision and inability to improve things in the squad...  for the past 4-5 months... his statements are just about the same..."ean eimaste sovaroi kai exoume tin tuxi stin meria mas that pame kala"...... no s%$#! Sherlock....  And it's been the same stuff over and over from him... he must have a tape recording of that for every interview and post/pre game comment

The apprentice has strayed far away from the master these past few months.....

If you were to go back and watch videos of the playoffs, you will have a hard time convincing yourself that this is the same team.

I've somewhat noticed a pattern. Unless we score early, the team loses confident. We let in second halve goals and then and there, the players give up. This is extremely F***ed up. We need to shake this before the season starts.

Anastasiou is now blaming "fatigue"....  well if your tired now... you don't expect to be tired when your halfway through the season?  What a silly excuse...   

If he pushed them too hard during preseason then he killed our season from the start....  Berg already looks like he has been playing 2-3 season nonstop...  

The players only had 2 weeks of an actual vacation... they shouldn't be that "unfit"...  even if they sat on the coach and ate Dorritos everyday... they still shouldnt' require A FULL preseason... they should have been slowly inducted into preseason and kept at a maintanence level to prevent burnout....  over-working someone during preseason is a medical thing...  my guess is Anastasiou has burnt everyone out already given lack of rest due to the playoffs...   

Time will tell.. but if we look unfit during the first 5 games... the season is already spelled out for us

The best one by Anastasiou is:   "ADIKHSAME TOYS EAYTOYS MAS"!

Ti les re karamitro? Pou pame reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

H omada auti einai yia ta MBAZA kai thelei XYLOMA!

Otan vlepoume antipalo apo exoteriko ta kanoume pano mas!

Enough is enough!

Exome dokimasei autous tous paixtes kai auton ton proponiti yia 3 xronia tora!

Ti exoun katorthosei?

Sxedon TIPOTA!

EDO KAI TORA ALLAGH!

Anastasiou is feeling the pressure more than any other time during his tenure at the club. Previous 2 years we were screwed financially and anything he achieved was considered a bonus. Now the expectations have stepped up and the pressure of the results are already being felt.

However....... if we ignore friendly results (which we should always do) then it still too early to judge.

As I said before, Brugge were the favourites against us and things panned out as expected. Against Qabala, a comfortable scoreline is expected. In the Super League, we expect a positive start and being in contention for championship after 10 rounds. If these 2 objectives can be achieved then we are on track and Anastasiou can breath easier.

I agree with Freeze that we are not Europe material and wont be with the players we currently have. Win the championship, get more money for transfers then we can start talking about a return to glory days.

my guess is Anastasiou has burnt everyone out already given lack of rest due to the playoffs...   

We played playoffs last time around as well, before eventually running everyone off the park in the second half of last season. Only a change in fitness personal can bring about a change of this magnitude. I hope not for our sake because it's our best attribute, compensating for our lack of quality in certain areas. It is what separated us from the rest last season as we provided good value, vying for the league.

You are sadly mistaken Val...

We looked so "good" during the playoffs b/c our opponents were DEAD, tired and injured...

PAOK had more injuries than available players...

Astera had been playing since June... they were were playing for 1 yr non stop and had Euro duties

Atromito was managed by a bufoon but managed to get into playoffs due to technicality and spent all their energy to enter "playoff race"

Not only that.. but we "rested" and coasted for 5-6 games after tha gavro game....  most of our 1st team players were left out and a lot of other players were given opportunties.. plus we looked rather lifeless out there b/c we were sooo far ahead

Therefore, when playoffs started our team seemed "rested" and we had better 'fitness" than them

I think Mavrias gave us width we now lack. Also, Gordon formed a nice duo with Kavlaridis.. Both of these guys, along with Steel were sorely missed the last couple of games...

I'm all for criticizing the team when it doesn't perform, but give credit when credit is due, otherwise you come off as a mizero...

Edited by Giourkas
  • Like it 2

It's hard to judge a team in the middle of the summer. Lots of new faces that haven't had a chance to play together. There are going to be growing pains until chemistry and continuity forms. It socks that they weren't able to get past Brugge but it is what it is. Expecting everyone to come in and seamlessly hit the ground running was always a silly notion. It takes a while. As for the fitness thing, I don't buy it. They had a month off between the end of playoffs and training. It's the same amount of time off they had the year before.

My fear is people burying this team even before the SL starts. They just need to scrap by early on to get the points and it doesn't have to be pretty. Under Anastasiou, PAO has been a force in the 2nd half of the season. This year, I think he has the talent to make a serious run in the 2nd half as long as they are within striking distance.

I think Mavrias gave us width we now lack. Also, Gordon formed a nice duo with Kavlaridis.. Both of these guys, along with Steel were sorely missed the last couple of games...

I'm all for criticizing the team when it doesn't perform, but give credit when credit is due, otherwise you come off as a mizero...

You name me what in my post was wrong

You are sadly mistaken Val...

We looked so "good" during the playoffs b/c our opponents were DEAD, tired and injured...

PAOK had more injuries than available players...

Astera had been playing since June... they were were playing for 1 yr non stop and had Euro duties

Atromito was managed by a bufoon but managed to get into playoffs due to technicality and spent all their energy to enter "playoff race"

Not only that.. but we "rested" and coasted for 5-6 games after tha gavro game....  most of our 1st team players were left out and a lot of other players were given opportunties.. plus we looked rather lifeless out there b/c we were sooo far ahead

Therefore, when playoffs started our team seemed "rested" and we had better 'fitness" than them

I highly doubt it,

Which playoffs are you referring to? This year or the previous? I'm talking about the summer we got beat by standard. Later on in the second half of the season, we were the fittest side, were we not?

These playoffs that just occurred, i couldn't agree more. In fact when people started praising koutroubis and ninis, i was the first one to comment on how dead the opposition were.

You name me what was wrong in mine? :P

You can't say our team was "lucky". That is horse s%$#!. The League was lucky Berg was out to start last season. That is the best striker by far gone for weeks on end. And when he came back, how long did it take him to hit his stride? Yup.. And somehow, up until our convincing win vs the Gavs, (when the corrupt system took over yet again), we were by far the hottest team in the 2nd half.. And then came point deductions, suspensions and what not. Yes some guys rested, (why not if you're not allowed to compete fair and square), yet others stepped up as well for the playoffs: Ninis looked the role of an offensive maestro and developed instant synergy with Berg, Mavrias added another dimension on the wing and was whipping 1 beautiful cross after another. Karelis continued his rise to fulfilling his full potential and the team on D led by Steel, Kavla, and Gordo kept blanking the opposition. I don't care what form PAOK, Atromitos and Asteras had.. We would beat them no matter what. Lest we forget that if the Protathlima was decided by the games between the top 5-6 teams PAO would of run away from it a clear winner...

I suggest you stop reading pro-gav propaganda on toilet sites like contra (who are more than happy not to report anything about heroin smuggling) and watch your team and give credit where it's due. And despite the lack of budget, our boys led by Anastasiou continue to do us proud. As you like to say: Rome wasn't built in a day...

• Like it 1

They have to ride the wave with Anastasiou now at least until a few months into the domestic league to see if he can start getting some consistency and discipline from this group of players.

Replace him now with who and what would anyone expect any new coach to do right now that's so positively impactful with this squad of players ?

Desperately need solidity in the back and creativity in midfield. Goals will come.

We have been for THREE YEARS!

Don't you think that's enough?

This FIASCO of a team inder this coach is going NOWHERE any time soon!

Boys, this is PANATHINAIKOS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!

This is not panthrax,asteras or Pera Raxoula Kolopetinitsas...!

We need a MAJOR SHAKEUP!

We cannot afford as PANATHINAIKOS to bend over...every time we face foreign INSIGNIFICANT opposition!

I cannot stomach being eliminated by a club brugge side!

This needs to stop!