Phantis Forums

Preseason 2015

Accor6

Kind of a tale of 2 halfs again. We don't look ready but we still have a couple of weeks to go until the qualifier. The friendly vs Udinese should be a reality check for our readiness. That's the last big test before the qualifier. Hopefully Sanchez/Essien are up to speed by then.

Edited by paoboston
  • Like it 1

Does anyone know if this is the ajax first team... b/c if it isn't...

this doesn't look good for us... they have nullified us are just waiting to carve us a new one

Ajax is missing Cillessen, Van Rihjn, Veltman, Heitinga, Viergever, Gudelj and Fischer who are all starters. The only starters that Ajax used on this game were Klaassen, Bazoer, Schone, Milik and maybe Dijks who was resigned from Ajax this season, the rest were all subs. 

Edited by GreenShadow13

Match fitness is one thing but quality or rather lack of quality is another and it just feels that we are a few signings away from competing in Europe. Don't get me wrong, we are strong in certain areas. We have berg up front and I have confidence in our fullbacks. Vermer already looks a steal and pranjic, yes pranjic! I think can have a super season at left back. Keep nano as a back up and send xoumounis on loan. I've already mentioned my admiration for tavlaridis but sanchez is going to have to have to fill Gordon's shoes. You can see where I am going with this...the midfield worries me. The likes of zeca, Lagos, ajagajun, dinas are hard workers at best whilst Ninis who mind you is more confident these days, is still inconsistent. If I were to offer you a trade, chori for all those guys, 9/10 you'll take it. I know essien is yet to kick a ball, but I'm not holding my breath. Not to repeat myself but his game revolves around energy and he won't age gracefully like a chori. And for that kind of money, you can lure someone that can pull the strings in the midfield. At this point,it feels like a rant but I'm just expressing how I feel. On a final note, although it's early, I like what I'm seeing from lod but more so angelopoulos who might just surprise a few this season.

wow looking at that we had a ton of chances to score..a lot of our players getting match fit basically sharping the passing movement and finishing!! we are set once that happens ;)!!..now that ive seen this.. ajax don't look too super either especially from what was said above about them..could have easily been a draw judging from the highlights ...

Match fitness is one thing but quality or rather lack of quality is another and it just feels that we are a few signings away from competing in Europe. Don't get me wrong, we are strong in certain areas. We have berg up front and I have confidence in our fullbacks. Vermer already looks a steal and pranjic, yes pranjic! I think can have a super season at left back. Keep nano as a back up and send xoumounis on loan. I've already mentioned my admiration for tavlaridis but sanchez is going to have to have to fill Gordon's shoes. You can see where I am going with this...the midfield worries me. The likes of zeca, Lagos, ajagajun, dinas are hard workers at best whilst Ninis who mind you is more confident these days, is still inconsistent. If I were to offer you a trade, chori for all those guys, 9/10 you'll take it. I know essien is yet to kick a ball, but I'm not holding my breath. Not to repeat myself but his game revolves around energy and he won't age gracefully like a chori. And for that kind of money, you can lure someone that can pull the strings in the midfield. At this point,it feels like a rant but I'm just expressing how I feel. On a final note, although it's early, I like what I'm seeing from lod but more so angelopoulos who might just surprise a few this season.

Bingo took the words from out of my mouth...

This team is good... but needs 3-4 key additions and a lot of player maturity to actually compete in Europe

Our players hit a mental block when they face Euro compeittion.... b/c we can obviously compete against "elite Euro" competition if you want to consider Olympiakos, PAOK and to a much lesser extent Astera/Atromito

What boggles my mind is this team is actually probably better than some former Euro PAO squads that did fairly well...  If you think of UEFA cup days where we had midfileds consiting of Wooter, Bovio and a young Tziolis and we would clean house and almost always come 1st in those group stages....  Nowadays its a miracle if we make it to 6 points

Looks like the media is correctly not reading into the pre season matches. This is no guide to the season ahead.

I recall the pre season we visited North America with Nioplias as coach. Achieving great results against teams such as Inter, everyone was saying how we were set for big things. How wrong everyone was.

Looks like the media is correctly not reading into the pre season matches. This is no guide to the season ahead.

I recall the pre season we visited North America with Nioplias as coach. Achieving great results against teams such as Inter, everyone was saying how we were set for big things. How wrong everyone was.

The team was set for greatness...

The buffoon leading the squad was another thing..........

I'm talking about UEFA cup not CL... CL we stunk up the joint from 2004-2009

But UEFA cup we did pretty well...  advanced in 2007 and 2008.... We had teams filled with Romero, Bovio, Papadopoulos, Salpi, Galinovic, Vyntra

You're right but you are forgetting how well we were set up in those games. I remember against sevilla, malesani had us set up perfectly in a 5-2-3 or 5-3-2, i can't remember exactly but i remember having outplayed them and if it weren't for gekas lack of proficiency in front of goal, we would've blown them away. Munez later on also used 3 centre halves. Actually now that i think about it, even before that we were using this system when we threatened europe's elite. Anyway I'm not trying to make a case for the 5-2-3 but rather admit that even in the tzigger days, we had some competent managers come over only to fall victims to a revolving door.

The team was set for greatness...

The buffoon leading the squad was another thing..........

Nioplas was a terrible coach but i disagree that we had a great side back then. We had some good individuals, that's how i'll remember that side. Ferreira attempted to create something special, but then leto went down and the lack of depth killed us. This latest attempt from Anastasiou is best we've seen since the glory days, but he has the backing of the management.

you guys that have seen our pre season matches whats your take on lod?

He hasn't really shown much. My take is he's still trying to fit in/assimilate to the team/Greece. I actually have high hopes for him. He seems like the type of player who you take a gamble on. He's young, dominated his former league, and is hungry for the next step in his career. I think he'll be a regular by season's end alongside Zeca. He also has the advantage of being a natural left footed midfielder, something PAO doesn't have outside of Pranjic.
  • Like it 1

I agree kaltzas seems more of a fit than lod at the moment. Showed good work rate as well i might add. Lod is slightly slower than what the scout report suggested but seems to have good feet and plays with his head up.

Asteras is self sufficient and any previous links with Marinakis have been cut.

There's no bidirectional player swaps between the 2 clubs like there is with Panionios/Platanias etc.

Many fans of Asteras don't have issues with PAO from my experience. Maybe because we are small in number but there's no animosity.

Asteras is self sufficient and any previous links with Marinakis have been cut.

There's no bidirectional player swaps between the 2 clubs like there is with Panionios/Platanias etc.

Many fans of Asteras don't have issues with PAO from my experience. Maybe because we are small in number but there's no animosity.

Isn't Borothrylos still there?

Yes, Borovilos is still aboot at Astera.

Some of you guys probably rightly link him with the Gavs because of the korio stuff but nothing has come of that. Him being a referee in his recent past wouldn't help but the club has complained against Marinakis so I see no link.