Phantis Forums

Michael Essien

Accor6

To be honest I think this is pretty irresponsible of our club....

We have the highest paid player in the league but NO WHERE NEAR the highest budget of the league....  this guy's salary is a LARGELY SIGNIFICANT portion of our budget and we have invested a lot into 1 player...

Teams built around this model tend to fail... teams built around many players tend to excel b/c of the homogeneity of the squad....

I've said it once, I"ll say it again.... paying Essien, an over the hill player who is looking to make a last second payday, crazy money when you have up and coming players like Lagos, Karelis, Klwnaridis, Donis who are paid peanuts is a WRONG way to go...

causes disruption and discension amongst players

I feel like the harmony and atmopshere of our team is what separates our team from the rest of the league...  talent wise we are good, but not great.... but the way some of these players click with each other b/c of the bond that is established in the lockerroom is what puts us to the next level

I hope that doesn't disappear by bringing all these crazy paid foreigners (Sanchez, Essien)

• Like it 1

To be honest I think this is pretty irresponsible of our club....

We have the highest paid player in the league but NO WHERE NEAR the highest budget of the league....  this guy's salary is a LARGELY SIGNIFICANT portion of our budget and we have invested a lot into 1 player...

Teams built around this model tend to fail... teams built around many players tend to excel b/c of the homogeneity of the squad....

I've said it once, I"ll say it again.... paying Essien, an over the hill player who is looking to make a last second payday, crazy money when you have up and coming players like Lagos, Karelis, Klwnaridis, Donis who are paid peanuts is a WRONG way to go...

causes disruption and discension amongst players

I feel like the harmony and atmopshere of our team is what separates our team from the rest of the league...  talent wise we are good, but not great.... but the way some of these players click with each other b/c of the bond that is established in the lockerroom is what puts us to the next level

I hope that doesn't disappear by bringing all these crazy paid foreigners (Sanchez, Essien)

I think that all of these are fair points.

Odds are the salary is being overstated.  Generally these times of years the first step in competing begins.  Who wins the transfer window?

Even so, you are correct about spreading the love around, which is something that is intangible as yet.  The entire budget might lift to similar levels (unlikely but possible) so its a wait and see scenario.

IMHO, you take a big risk spending on a big transfer regardless.  That player is under immense pressure to perform and make the difference, and usually the value you pay for said player diminishes the more you had to pay to get them in as on some level there is a cheaper alternative that could do a similar (perhaps not as comprehensive) job.

In any case, this could be a make or break signing.  Good or disastrous, but even if disastrous, it will probably sell a few shirts.

What a dud this guy is....

So Anastasiou has come out and said Essien has not played soccer since March!!!  and it will take him a while to get match fit again....  we might be looking at another 2 months till he fully gets his stuff together

Not only that, but he came with an injury to his quads and hamstrings....  then mentions given his age it will take a long time for him to heal....

Now mind you, this guys career is a clock winding down.... we can't afford 2-3 months for him to get back from an injury... then if he comes back.. exerts himself during a derby again.. then he's out for another 2-3 months...  This signing has Victor Sanchez written all over it.....

On top of that... Essien is a player that will excel when you have PAIXTARADES in front of him.....  Of course he looked great at Real and Chelsea... When you have Isco, Lampard, Hazard, Ronaldo, MIkel next to you, it elevates your playing ability

When you have Zeca, Ninis, Lod, and Ajagun next to you (and they are decent players).. your not going to look like a world killer

Ugh.... let's just hope he sell some T-shirts....   

^^Well said.

If puma financed this move, then Anastasiou and co. probably thought 'whatever let's take a chance on him'. If the club financed this move, then i think it's already an epic blunder.

Whilst it is disappointing that Essien is not fit (especially for someone of his fame) it is WAY too premature to call his signing a dud. He has been with us for a couple of weeks only and we havent even had a competitive game yet!! For all we know Wemmer may end up being a dud signing!

Relax peoples. Give him time to prove himself, then we can crucify him if he doesn't perform.

If his injuries persist, blame the club. The club after all did the medical before he signed. What did they check? His prostate only?

• Like it 2

Whilst it is disappointing that Essien is not fit (especially for someone of his fame) it is WAY too premature to call his signing a dud. He has been with us for a couple of weeks only and we havent even had a competitive game yet!! For all we know Wemmer may end up being a dud signing!

Relax peoples. Give him time to prove himself, then we can crucify him if he doesn't perform.

If his injuries persist, blame the club. The club after all did the medical before he signed. What did they check? His prostate only?

To be honest... even before he touches the ball.. I seriously believe this is a dud signing

I'll tell you why...

It's the whole approach to the game...its not just "talent"

I'll give you a perfect example...  you bring up Wemmer...  he's looking good during preseason and we won't know if he'll put in similar performances in Europe or the domestic league.... however, the guy came MATCH FIT... treats his body well... and respects the game.... he's a true professional...  keeps himself healthy and puts in a SOLID effort on the pitch.....  The German Nano, if you must

Essien... on the other hand.... may have had some injury issues but you should still keep yourself fit... you might not be "match fit" b/c ur not playing many games and u might not put the BEST performances out there... but at least, come to the next stop in ur career when you can run 70,80,90 minutes.... stay on the bike and get your cardio up to a respectable level

Not touching a ball since March/April and letting yourself to become so unconditioned that you may not be ready till mid August is really sad... 

As for the medical...  they must have been checking just prostates.... also given the whole buzz behind Essien coming...  I'm sure they saw some warning signs and knew about his prior injuries... but b/c of the whole commotion of a "big, time" time player coming to PAO again.. I wouldn't be sure if they "overlooked" a few things to avoid backlash of a signing not happening

As for the medical...  they must have been checking just prostates.... also given the whole buzz behind Essien coming...  I'm sure they saw some warning signs and knew about his prior injuries... but b/c of the whole commotion of a "big, time" time player coming to PAO again.. I wouldn't be sure if they "overlooked" a few things to avoid backlash of a signing not happening

If thats the case I would be seriously pissed off at the club. However....

I recall the Alfaro signing last year, alot of hype and excitement yet the club pulled the transfer because he failed the medical. They were smart enough to do the right thing. Now, I have little doubt that they would have done the same with Essien if the injuries were serious.

Does his attitude stink? Maybe. But I am not going to reply on Sport24 or Gazzetta to tell me if he "flying" at training or whether he is in terrible shape. I will let his performances over August/September be the judge of this.

• Like it 1

These people once again need to be hanged. Ac Milan is my team in Italy and I cannot watch their garbage no more. Look at their team full of washed up hasbeenz.

Im on freezers pessisism, even torres washed up was there too ,their roster is full of useless garbage and their team came where on the ladder?. This is not gilberto silva who came as a captain of brazil fully fit this is another conceisao. People can hang me in 3 months if im wrong but the fact that he has not played any friendlies is a deadest outrage. This guy is nothing short of a busted up washed up failure

Edited by Spirtto13

as you all know by now I am against the signing of over the hill last stop saloon players in their 30s.

essiens nickname is the bison ,he has that nickname for a reason,essiens strong points when he was at his peak was his energy,his tough tackling style,his ability to cover huge amounts of ground on the pitch ,he was an excellent man marker,but he was versatile also helping and playing offensively when needed.

at Chelsea he was mainly deployed as a defensive midfielder.

my question is ,and this is what I would of been asking myself before signing him,does essien at the age of 33 still have those attributes ( energy,tough tackling,ability to cover huge amounts of ground ) that made him such a great player?if I am going to spend such a huge amount of my budget on one player I have to ask myself can essien still bring these traits to the party?

his strong points are not creativity and dribbling etc his strong points were his physical presence.

if I was to sign a 33 tr old it would be some one who plays a creative role,who relies on technique,skill and brains not on brute force.

I would not have signed him,i hope instead of the bison he doesn't turn out to be bambi.

Green man he is a failure now.thats why he's in Greece to enjoy things like sydbey govou

Tavernas ksenixtia

If you think I was referring to him as failure careerwise completely you misunderstood me

He's proven his highs going to the big teams

He went to a s%$#! Ac Milan and did not stand out what makes you think he'll stand out at panathinaikos?why would he get a second wind when he's downgraded from a s%$#! ac Milan to an even shittier league. The American offers for him were all bullshit no one else wanted him

We took a huge gamble on him ......correction

Puma did if we are a professional outfit we should have told puma to stick their money up their ass surely anastasiou should know where we are hurting

I've lit my candle at agios oros and hope god puts water in the krasi

Edited by Spirtto13

Berg was injured but he was pretty fit...  he jumped right into the team and immediately made an impact b/c he kept his body fit...

Essien got an injury in Feburary... then sat on his ass... became big/fat.. and now can barely survive a doubles practice  b/c he has a LOT of conditioning to do