Phantis Forums

Michael Essien

Accor6

I wouldn't call essien a leader, he won't be the alpha dog cisse was. He is a team player and a very good one at that and will thrive only if utilized well. In short, he will require the right team mates. Even if his salary suggests it, we shouldn't view him as an attacking or creative outlet but if you were to put players of this nature around him, then i think we will see his true quality. A healthy Essien knows his strengths and weakness and what he can bring to a team, the question is whether his manager knows him well enough. Mourinho got the best out of him for this exact reason. Think of essien as a very important piece of a puzzle, but to complete the puzzle you will require upgrades elsewhere. Financially we are not in the position we once were but If we were to sign abeid in the near future, then this signing will make a lot more sense.

Edited by val

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although it's nice to bring such players to Greece, that brings excitement to the fans, I'm old enough to know that these moves are hit-or-miss. Most of these transfers turned bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the club trying to raise the level and be more competitive. Yet, I want to see how big name players apply themselves and what contributions bring to the team, instead of cashing in their fame and collect $$ while they're semi-retired.

Now, especially given the condition of the Greek economy, the horrible state of the league, the lesser status of Greek teams in Europe (and their chances of success there), it raises a question as to why a great player might want to come to a Greek club. Gilberto, Rivaldo, and a few others at the end of their careers, when they couldn't play for other big euro clubs came and did great. Others, like Sisse and Berg come because they had been on a slump and want to get a chance to climb out. They also do well.  But, most of the big names have been failures.

Hoping for the better outcome.... Good luck to Essien.

By the way, is that the new PAO jersey by Puma. I want one! It's different and interesting!

What???!!!! :xxx:

The guy was a great player, and I hope he still is, but I've seen too many like him coming to Greece and are really damaged so they don't contribute while they cost too much.