He will pay a hefty fine so he doesn't go behind bars

He will denied any type of involvement with soccer

He will be denied leaving the country

He will go on a trial

Thank you freez

Now the only thing left is us going to the CL

Blackhawk you said something ? ;)

• Like it 1

Sooooo essentially he's gotten away with a slap on the wrist...

Those punishments are directed towards which crime exactly..??

This is a ###### joke

I am no expert on Greek criminal law, however I regard this as a preliminary hearing to decide on interim measures before proceeding to a full court hearing. Today's proceedings clearly indicate that there is a case against the accused. Rest assured that a guilty verdict (like Beos and Psomiadis a few years ago) will result in some serious consequences. 

I think my predictions were pretty spot on...

1) Marinakis will pay a fine (50-70k) to avoid the slammer

2) He'll get a temporary restriction for leaving the country and a suspension from soccer

3) Olympiakos will not be implicated

4) Marinakis will apply for an appeal and it will be granted so he'll be free to do whatever he wants

4) Vrentzos or Kokkalis will assume the presidency till everything is sorted out

1) The fine is much bigger than I imagined, but for him thats a drop in teh bucket

2) Slight variation from what I mentioned... he's able to travel but needs to be at the police every 15 days.... 

3) Olympiakos is still not implicated

4) Marinakis is filing for an appeal as we speak

5) Vrentzos is "manning' the ship for now... although Marinakis still owns the team... we know who really is pulling the strings.... How are they going to monitor Marinaki's involvment with Greek soccer especially when he is majority shareholder?

I think my predictions were pretty spot on...

1) Marinakis will pay a fine (50-70k) to avoid the slammer

2) He'll get a temporary restriction for leaving the country and a suspension from soccer

3) Olympiakos will not be implicated

4) Marinakis will apply for an appeal and it will be granted so he'll be free to do whatever he wants

4) Vrentzos or Kokkalis will assume the presidency till everything is sorted out

1) The fine is much bigger than I imagined, but for him thats a drop in teh bucket

2) Slight variation from what I mentioned... he's able to travel but needs to be at the police every 15 days.... 

3) Olympiakos is still not implicated

4) Marinakis is filing for an appeal as we speak

5) Vrentzos is "manning' the ship for now... although Marinakis still owns the team... we know who really is pulling the strings.... How are they going to monitor Marinaki's involvment with Greek soccer especially when he is majority shareholder?

I think you are very off because if we play in the CL, very likely, Olymbiakos will be implicated

Let me tell you what your original prediction was??

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

• Like it 1

Greece: Olympiakos chairman released on bail

AP10:02 a.m. EDT June 18, 2015

ATHENS, Greece (AP) ? The chairman of Greek champion Olympiakos has been suspended from sporting activities and released on bail after testifying on Thursday in an investigation into alleged corruption in Greek football, putting at risk his side's Champions League spot.

Court officials said Vangelis Marinakis was ordered to appear twice a month at his local police station as part of the conditions of his bail, which was granted after testifying for more than five hours.

The bail was set at 200,000 euros ($230,000).

Prosecutors are investigating allegations that Marinakis led a criminal organization that instigated bribes and blackmail attempts to try and fix results in the top flight of the Greek league.

Marinakis denies the allegations, accusing rival clubs of making false claims against him.

The investigation is ongoing and no decision has been made on whether Marinakis will stand trial.

UEFA rules bar entry to the Champions League and Europa League for any club involved in fixing matches since April 2007

In August 2011, Turkish champion Fenerbahce was withdrawn from the group stage by its national federation while its president was implicated in fixing matches to win the previous season's league title. UEFA reinstated Trabzonspor which had been eliminated in the qualifying rounds.

Panathinaikos was league runner-up last season and could be upgraded to the Champions League group stage from the third qualifying round.

• Like it 1

I am in shock! 

I never expected the Greek justice system to act upon a person who has bought and sold the entire football industry in Greece!

Seems that times change!

I hope the Justice system expedites the process and all interested parties end up behind bars!

This would be justice!

Anything less would just be a slap on the hand!

We are far from a conviction and consequences! 

We have come a long way and this is a good start!

Mia kalli Elliniki paroimia leei:

"o pseftis kai o kleftis ton proto xrono xairontai?!"

• Like it 1

I am in shock! 

I never expected the Greek justice system to act upon a person who has bought and sold the entire football industry in Greece!

Seems that times change!

I hope the Justice system expedites the process and all interested parties end up behind bars!

This would be justice!

Anything less would just be a slap on the hand!

We are far from a conviction and consequences! 

We have come a long way and this is a good start!

Mia kalli Elliniki paroimia leei:

"o pseftis kai o kleftis ton proto xrono xairontai?!"

• Like it 1

We deserve our money from all the years they've cheated ahead of us. I'm tired of them ruining Greek football for the past 10 years, turning the super league into the most one-sided league. They deserve to be relegated and permenantly banned from major competitions for the crimes they committed.

Edited by Ethnikos

Quite frankly, I'm holding a small basket. Not trying to get my hopes up. Unless I see a picture of that fatass is jail or UEFA coming out with a statement barring them from Europe etc, I'm not getting worked up about this.

• Like it 1

I think you are very off because if we play in the CL, very likely, Olymbiakos will be implicated

Let me tell you what your original prediction was??

Oute GAVROS den grafei tetoia

:lol:  :huh:  :D  :tdown:

Once again, if someone doesn't know should at times shut that mouth

He was talking about the Eurozone re

Anyway...  bottom line is Marinaki got a "punishment" that doesn't seem to have done much aside from paying a large sum of cash... keeps him in Greece 2 days out of the month.. and "removed" him from his presidential duties, yet he's still able to own the team, fund the team and is claiming to be the active president

Even if he was to step down Accor, do you honestly think Marinakis would allow one of his lackey's to run the business all on his own??   The guy will buy another Kineziko cellphone and call the shots from there

Not only that but, the CL stuff seems 50-50... some sites are reporting that we have a good chance for UEFA to ban them for 1-2 years... other respectiable sites (contra) are pointing out major differences from our case to Fener's case...  I guess a few more days and we'll find out where this goes....

I'm going to be carrying a small basket for this one though...  Olympiakos does not seem worried about their situation for some reason.. they did initially as they haven't selected a coach yet, no players were signed (aside from Giannotas which was known 6 months ago) but now seems like things are moving along...  coach is supposedly coming with 1-2 signings within the next week

They don't seem like a team who is afraid to lose 20 million of cash revenue in the next few days..... again time will tell

^^ I'm fully optimistic that something good will come of this. The news got way too big today as we saw reports about Vaggela's criminal activities pop up in the U.S. It's gotten to a point where it can no longer be swept under the rug. UEFA threw Blatter under the bus by disassociating itself from FIFA. They want to play the parthenes. For that very same reason, I expect severe punishments for the Reds.

@ Freezer, What do you want Xontroulako an Oly to say/do exactly? Admit guilt? At this point, they have to act like everything is business as usual. Freezing (no pun intended :P) spending would imply guilt. I'm sure his legal team told him to conduct himself as if everything is normal. Unfortunately for his defence team, he is facing too many counts to get off squeaky clean imo..

@ Accor6, eisai poutanitsa!!! ;)

This of course is Greece we are talking about, so one never knows for certain...

Edited by Giourkas

Olympiakos does not seem worried about their situation for some reason.. they did initially as they haven't selected a coach yet, no players were signed (aside from Giannotas which was known 6 months ago) but now seems like things are moving along...  coach is supposedly coming with 1-2 signings within the next week

Nothing has changed. Lets consider the facts:

1. Irrespective of the situation, whether they were in the CL or B Ethniki, they need to hire a coach. Marco Silva is not a big name coach I imagine does not command top dollar after being sacked by Sporting Lisbon.

2. They need metagrafes irrespective of Europe or not. If Berbatov comes, so what? We signed Essien without the guarantee of CL income, they could easily do the same.

3. I imagine they are in a strong financial position after a decade of CL football and recent player sales of 30m+. I am sure they can ride out a year or 2 of no European football and be prepared for their return.

• Like it 1