France 2.75 1.40

Holland 3.75 1.85

Romania 13.00 5.00

GROUP D

Spain 1.75 1.13

Greece 4.50 2.10

Sweden 6.00 2.35

Russia 6.50 2.40

i think it was a dream draw...sure, spain is a powerhouse, but greece has absolutely no reason to fear spain, and a draw is quite possible.

i like the match up with sweden. ibrahimovic is a load to handle and kim kallstrom is skilled in the midfield...yet, i think greece can expose sweden's lack of team pace, especially on the backline.

i think greece can handle the russians quite easily. the russians are that bear, but only at home. they generally don't travel well and i think the quality of the side has decreased from 2004. their captain is also suspended for the 1st match. i guess i'll step out here and predict a comfortable 2-0 victory.

i would relish a shot at italy in a quarter-final. i REALLY think greece match up well with the italians in many areas.

Really? I fear Italy! They always find a way to do it. It's funny though because the only teams I fear in this tournament are Germany, Italy, France and Holland! So I'm particularly disheartened that if we do qualify we'll most likely play a team I fear. Of course if you want to win a competition you can't go the whole tournament without playing the big boys, but meeting them in the semis or final is different. A new facet is added to the game, i.e. pressure, etc. Whereas in the quarters they will strongly fancy their chances against us.

To be honest it's 2 things that scare me. 1) our lack of pace throughout the team, particularly in midfield. 2) Our defence just seems to fragile to me. 1-0 up against the Turks then we copped 4. We conceded 2 in Norway, 2 at home to Bosnia, 1 in Hungary, etc. What happens when it's not forwards like Frunza we're coming across and it's forward lines like Torres and Villa, Ibrahimovic and Allback, Arshavin and Pavlychencko, and later Van Persie and Van Nistelrooy, Toni and Gilardino, or Henry and Anelka??? How will our backline cope?

I think that the reason I'm so worried is because of the France friendly in Paris, remember we lost 1-0 last year? We were completely dominated and never threatened. Is that what's in store for us?

s%$#!... I'm already getting ill with nerves!

problems in defence are more to do with our goalkeepers than defenders niko and chalkias are both awful. halkias was at fault for the norway goals and niko v turkey was also at fault for all thier goals. our back 4 i feel is pretty good. seitaridis is class, kyrgiakos is superb in the air, dellas has alot of expierence and although toro is not a left back he looks a good prospect, whenever i've seen him he looks comfortable on the ball.

Honestly, our defense in 2004 wasn't always too hot either. But, miraculously, we managed to pull through. Remember the two goals we ate against Russia? And we had many close calls vs. France and the Czech Republic. :huh:

While the Turkey match was a disappointment, ever since we replaced Kapsis and Fyssas, I think our defensive line has been superb. Also, we have been playing a tad more offensively, so it's only natural to concede a few with so many men up front. With Kyrgiakos, Patzatzoglou, Spyropoulos, Torosidis, Dellas, Antzas, and Seitaridis, I think we are OK.

I think the main problem has alwasy been up front. And I think that was largely the problem against Turkey; we panicked, threw too many up front, failed to finish numerous times, and they kept catching us on the CA. If we would have closes the gap at least once, we would have tightened up our game. It has been our inability to finish that has been our primary weak spot, not our defense or midfield. I think that is what cost us qualification for WC06. We had only Charisteas to rely on, and, save injuries, he hit a MAJOR dry spell (in fact, not scoring a single goal for the NT since Euro 2004; his first goal was that Bosnia penalty last year!) I think Otto has finally solved this problem with Gekas, Amanatidis, and Samaras; we have more variety of play and confidence up front now, something we never had before.

• 2 weeks later...

UEFA EURO 2008™ match officials

Referee Assistant referees Country

1 Konrad Plautz Egon Bereuter, Markus Mayr Austria

2 Frank De Bleeckere Peter Hermans, Alex Verstraeten Belgium

3 Howard Webb Darren Cann, Mike Mullarkey England

4 Herbert Fandel Carsten Kadach, Volker Wezel Germany

5 Kyros Vassaras Dimitris Bozatzidis, Dimitris Saraidaris Greece

6 Roberto Rosetti Alessandro Griselli, Paolo Calcagno Italy

7 Pieter Vink Adriaan Inia, Hans ten Hoove Netherlands

8 Tom Henning Øvrebø Geir Åge Holen, Erik Ræstad Norway

9 Ľuboš Micheľ Roman Slyško, Martin Balko Slovakia

10 Manuel Enrique Mejuto González Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez, Jesús Calvo Guadamuro Spain

11 Peter Fröjdfeldt Stefan Wittberg, Henrik Andrén Sweden

12 Massimo Busacca Matthias Arnet, Stéphane Cuhat Switzerland

Fourth officials chosen for UEFA EURO 2008:

Ivan Bebek (Croatia)

Stéphane Lannoy (France)

Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Kristinn Jakobsson (Iceland)

Grzegorz Gilewski (Poland)

Olegário Benquerença (Portugal)

Craig Thomson (Scotland)

Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the national teams will be staying and training:

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/639518.pdf

UEFA EURO 2008™ match officials

Referee Assistant referees Country

1 Konrad Plautz Egon Bereuter, Markus Mayr Austria

2 Frank De Bleeckere Peter Hermans, Alex Verstraeten Belgium

3 Howard Webb Darren Cann, Mike Mullarkey England

4 Herbert Fandel Carsten Kadach, Volker Wezel Germany

5 Kyros Vassaras Dimitris Bozatzidis, Dimitris Saraidaris Greece

6 Roberto Rosetti Alessandro Griselli, Paolo Calcagno  Italy

7 Pieter Vink Adriaan Inia, Hans ten Hoove Netherlands

8 Tom Henning Øvrebø Geir Åge Holen, Erik Ræstad  Norway

9 Ľuboš Micheľ Roman Slyško, Martin Balko  Slovakia

10 Manuel Enrique Mejuto González  Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez, Jesús Calvo Guadamuro Spain

11 Peter Fröjdfeldt Stefan Wittberg, Henrik Andrén Sweden

12 Massimo Busacca Matthias Arnet, Stéphane Cuhat  Switzerland

Fourth officials chosen for UEFA EURO 2008:

Ivan Bebek (Croatia)

Stéphane Lannoy (France)

Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

Kristinn Jakobsson (Iceland)

Grzegorz Gilewski (Poland)

Olegário Benquerença (Portugal)

Craig Thomson (Scotland)

Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the national teams will be staying and training:

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/639518.pdf

wow...vassaras made it. let's hope the linesmen can pass a physical fitness test.

well, we know howard webb...from the lazio-olympiakos tie. i think he's also a cop in sheffield or leeds.

michel did the greece x norway rain match, while busacca was shaky in the norway x greece match.

the belgian de bleeckere is VERY strict & stern, if you burp on the pitch - yellow card.

herbert fandel is the big pianist, who got attacked by a danish music fan who preferred chopin to beethoven.

rosetti can always borrow vassaras' hair gel, if he loses his suitcase.

i miss the previous generation - collina, frisk and merk, were very greece friendly.

They weren't Greece friendly, they were just fair! We usually get F***ers!

i don't know...

collina - didn't call a penalty when kollar got hauled down in the czech semi-final match,

He also let play continue when Baros clearly pushed Kapsis out of the way to set up the Rosicky-Koller 1-2 for their biggest chance of that game.

frisk - could have sent off zagorakis in the greece x france quarter-final. already booked, zagorakis chopped down pires, and only got a stern lecture from frisk.

Would have been a VERY, VERY harsh red card.

They weren't friends of Greece, just tried to be as fair as possible.

i don't know...

collina - didn't call a penalty when kollar got hauled down in the czech semi-final match,

He also let play continue when Baros clearly pushed Kapsis out of the way to set up the Rosicky-Koller 1-2 for their biggest chance of that game.

Would have been a VERY, VERY harsh red card.

They weren't friends of Greece, just tried to be as fair as possible.

hope you stick around...things won't be the same if you're not around making fun of me for backing samara over slapi.

i think you need a new avatar...maybe of ghandi or the dalai lama.

you're just too late for millie, though.

Thanks file, I appreciate that.

P.S. did you see Salpi's golara against Athletico? :P

• 2 weeks later...

The current bet list from Eurobet. I think Greece was tied with Romania and Sweden at 26.00 a while back and now Greece is up there with Swiss at 21.00

Germany 5.00

Italy 6.00

Spain 7.00

France 9.00

Portugal 9.00

Croatia 12.00

Holland 12.00

Czech Rep 15.00

Greece 21.00

Switzerland 21.00

Romania 26.00

Sweden 29.00

Russia 34.00

Turkey 34.00

Poland 41.00

Austria 101.00

just rewatched Ellas vs Czech 2nd half and OT (has been 4 years already -wow)

That must have been so frustrating for the Czech - I remember once we got to about 80 minutes in we knew we were going to pull it off

If you want to see what kind of impact Tsartas can have on the game watch the 15 minutes he plays - he almost sets up 3 goals and hits the corner thatsends us through

It also shows te type of impact Stelios can have in spurts

That was awesom after that game we took to the streets - can't wait for this summer

• 1 month later...

Archived