Phantis Forums

Any New Channels?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have any updates on any new satelite channels coming to USA to either directv or dish network?

Well from previous information on here, Alter is set to switch to Direct this summer, but thats not really a new channel.

We did here about possibly Star this winter though. Maybe DKSat has more information on that.

I am hoping for Mad World as a music channel.....

Well from previous information on here, Alter is set to switch to Direct this summer, but thats not really a new channel.

We did here about possibly Star this winter though. Maybe DKSat has more information on that.

No, no, don't forget that new music channel, G Tv or something that Globestar and some others have been promising is coming for years now. :whistle:

We did here about possibly Star this winter though.  Maybe DKSat has more information on that.

No, no, don't forget that new music channel, G Tv or something that Globestar and some others have been promising is coming for years now. :whistle:
I didnt even mention that because in the other topic someone mentioned that it is not coming. I would love for Mad to come. I have requested it on Directs site already. Obviously my request only wont make it come, but worth a try. :)

There is more    coming on Greek Direct i will let you all sweat it out for a while.

DKSat

Oh, Oh let me guess! :D

I say either MAD World or Star International, which would be a waste of bandwidth IMO since most of their programming in Greece is foreign so what would the international channel show- the same 3 shows over and over?! I would like to see the new Orthodox channel that launched in Greece- 4E, I think its available in Australia. The only channel I would subscribe to is MAD World, from what Kolossos said this has a good programming mix, different music not just pop and modern. It would be way better than this Blue crap that we get now. :tdown:

DKSat, Any idea why no Cypriot channel has launched in North America, from my understanding their is quite a large population in the U.S. & Canada so where is RIK Sat or Sigma?? Wil we ever see either of those here?

:gr:

There is more coming on Greek Direct i will let you all sweat it out for a while.

DKSat

Welling looking at wikipedia on which channels are currently international and not in the US, I only really see MAD WORLD (Which I want alot), "Channel 10" (Whatever that is), 4E, and Star International. Other than those the rest are Cypriot.

I would expect Star to come to the market, but I don't know what they offer in programing.

Maybe ERT World will move over to Direct? They are not exclusive right? I can see them being available on both since they wouldn't want to give up the Ant1 loyal, but the Greek Direct package seems to be growing. I wonder how pricing would be on that though....

Any time line on new channels coming DKSat?

I would expect Star to come to the market, but I don't know what they offer in programing.

Star International is not the same as the other channels its more a Lite Entertainment channel so dont expect it to be like the other networks I quite like Star and watch it on a regular basis :) program guide available here http://www.ubiworldtv.com/gk_ws_101STAR.pdf

4E would suit religous types perfect for people interested in it alot of decent programming religous and informative programming good for all the family but no idea if it will reach US shores ....

MAD World as I said really good music channel with the works love it :)

Channel 10 not really needed but good to have its same version as shown in Greece no sat version of it and mostly just broadcast in mainland Greece terrestrially and via satellite Europe and Australia

RIK Sat should be available in US in the near future.... not sure about Sigma....

Star International is not the same as the other channels its more a Lite Entertainment channel so dont expect it to be like the other networks I quite like Star and watch it on a regular basis :) program guide available here http://www.ubiworldtv.com/gk_ws_101STAR.pdf

Ok. So Star International is the 'Entertainment" channel. I do like their news in Greece.....

I kind of understand the psychological need to have as many of the channels our proti patrida has (although, come on: Greece had 2 channels until late in the 80s). But for me the real channels available by satellite are

1. ERT WORLD

2. ANT1

3. MEGA

4. ALTER

5. ALPHA

The rest are just grasping at straws. The main channels are now available in the US. The way they are available over 2 different platforms is, frankly, shitty, but being Greeks we are used to Greek organizations screwing us over.

Star has so little original programming, it is laughable to consider they would be able to broadcast anything other than 8 hrs tops without constant feed loops.

What is amazing to me is that ERT is cramping 3 national networks and its digital platform into a single frequency. I could easily see them offering a second channel.

To what I've seen in Greece the ERT channels in Greece show heaps of foreign/english stuff on there channels so it really isent that amazing that they can squeeze it all into ERT World as they can only show Greek programming on ERT World

My opinion ERT Workd is crap only decent thing is there news and sports everything else is as boring as hell in my opinion ..... :) :blink: :gr:

ERT World in my opinion has some good shows besides sports. First I only watch news on ERT World. News on the other channels is just sensantional garbage. Other than that they have some decent musical shows. However they could use upgrading their programming.

One channel that is going downhill in my opinionis Antenna Satellite. Their programming is getting worse and worse each season. If it wasn't for the PAOK and AEK games, I would have cancelled them along with their useless package long time ago.

To what I've seen in Greece the ERT channels in Greece show heaps of foreign/english stuff on there channels so it really isent that amazing that they can squeeze it all into ERT World as they can only show Greek programming on ERT World

My opinion ERT Workd is crap only decent thing is there news and sports everything else is as boring as hell in my opinion ..... :)  :blink:  :gr:

Exactly what I think of ERT World too. I mean it may have some good programing, but not that much. In my opinion Mega Cosmos offers the best entertainment programming.

The way they are available over 2 different platforms is, frankly, shitty, but being Greeks we are used to Greek organizations screwing us over. 

What is funny though, is that looking at how the channels are available in Australia, all the channels are avalbile on one platform (UBI) while Ant1 is on a different platform only with ERT World (which is also on UBI too). Could the same happen in the US?

Yeah funny isn't it UBI have all Greek channels but Ant1 doesn't seem to want to join the club LOL haha

As with ERT World SelecTV have it as part of there service and UBI broadcast ERT World FREE TO AIR so who ever wants to watch ERT can without subscribing :) and its on Globecast to FREE TO AIR so we have 2 ERT's on the same satellite FTA lol :)

Yeah funny isn't it UBI have all Greek channels but Ant1 doesn't seem to want to join the club LOL haha

As with ERT World SelecTV have it as part of there service and UBI broadcast ERT World FREE TO AIR so who ever wants to watch ERT can without subscribing :) and its on Globecast to FREE TO AIR so we have 2 ERT's on the same satellite FTA lol :)

ANT1 has their own platform; I don't know about the Australia situation. But I know in the US ANT1 was here a whole decade before anybody else showed up. You can say all you want about their current lackluster programming, but they were committed to serving Greeks abroad back when other channels could care less. When Mega Cosmos first showed up, they were ready to close up shop after 2 years because they didn't have the profits they expected. ANT1 satellite news were even part of the "International Channel" on cable systems.

As far I can remember MEGA was the first greek channel to start in Australia in 1995-1996 then Ant1 came shortly after and when MEGA started it wasnt MEGA Cosmos is was MEGA Live and Direct from Greece same version Greece had :)

And yes MEGA has come and gone over the years here in Australia and Ant1 has been around all the time thru out this

Still doesn't make a difference to me I can live without Ant1 could't care less if I have it or not there programming has gone down hill over the years and they only thing that keeps people watching them as Ziaka pointed out above is that still got rights to 2 soccer teams without that they would have alot less.....

As for the International Channel News channel there we have a similar channel called SBS which shows alot of programming from alot of different countries it showed Ant1 News for years and years as Ant1 used to be FTA on satellite along with Mega and Alpha ( was called SKAi at the time ) as soon as they signed with Australia distributor World Media Ant1 News broardcasts seized on this channel and they started using ERT News feeds after this and stil do til this day

My 2 cents :) :gr:

But for me the real channels available by satellite are

1. ERT WORLD

2. ANT1

3. MEGA

4. ALTER

5. ALPHA

The rest are just grasping at straws. The main channels are now available in the US.

I agree likos, with the addition of Alpha Sat, all the 'main' channels are now available in North America so there is no need for anymore IMO. I would switch Blue with MAD World because it sounds like it has more balanced programming but anything else is just useless crap that adds to ones bill. Mind you some of the above channels may also be crap to some as well, to each his own that is why its great to have selection so you pick the ones that interest you.

I have to disagree with people's assessment with ERT World, I frankly like it and feel it has a good mix of programming. Being as it is the public broadcaster, the programming may not be as high quality as something from one of the private broadcasters but I don't think it should be considered in the same vain as the private channels. ERT World has the best newscast, as Ziaka pointed out, good sports coverage and great cultural programmes like music, dance, history and religious programs. These are things you won't find on the private networks because their focus is on entertainment but I feel that there still are people that like watching these types of programs.

As for entertainment, as others have said MEGA wins hands down IMO. Antenna's programming is not up to par, Alter has crappy entertainment programming and as for Alpha I don't know so I can't really give a good assessment but from what I have heard they are going downhill like ANT1. This is all cyclical however, especially in Greece, so it is good that we now have all channels available. Actors it seems to me move from one channel to another every now and then (I guess based on who gives them the most money?!) so down the road someone else may have the good shows. Haven't these people heard of long-term contracts or do the channels not like to sign people to long-term deals?!

If it was up to me I would just bring over the 5 channels above and forget the rest. Plus I would add RIK Sat for the Cypriot population and your set.

As for who carries what, I think what may happen is something like what exists in Australia. MEGA, Alpha, Alter & ERT World on one platform (DirecTV) and ANT1 by itself on a different platform (Dishnet). Its possible ERT World. may also stay on Dishnet. What I would like to know is why Aussies get ERT World FTA and we don't (NO I don't count NSS 806 as FTA because its C-Band and I need a friggin' 10' dish to pick up a signal!!) :tdown:

HellasHab, very good points.

But I think you can throw Star Int. into the mix just for those who like the Greek Gossip and stuff like that. After all, their main news does consist of alot of celebrity stories.

Blue and Ant1 Gold are just crap to me. If the channels do all infact move onto Direct, I plan to just get Ant1 on a la carte. I hate how you currently cant get a package with JUST Ant1, ERT, and Alter. Instead you are forced into Ant1 Gold, Blue, and the Radio stations.

What I don't understand though, is WHY MAD would even help Blue out with their programing if MAD World is looking into the US market for themselves. What happens if they come over too?

UBI does all MAD World dealings internationally so if MAD World ever does come to the US UBI would be the ones in charge of it and the signing of it just like Globestar handles Alter and Mega

Anyway things are looking good for the US more greek channels then ever before :) maybe it will become similar to us here in Aus now as we have had more Greek channels then you guys in the US for a long time now your turn to catch up now LOL :D :gr: :tup: :gr:

The following TV and Radio stations are owned by the same person Mr. Kouris.

ALTER TV , MAD TV, Mad Radio, Orange Radio , Love Radio .

DKSat

:o Oh I Think DKSat just dropped a big hint about what channel may be coming soon to DirecTV :whistle:

DKSat, since you posted this information, Do you know if MEGA owns any radio staitons? It seems every other channel (Alpha, ANT1, Alter & ERT) all own at least one station, what about MEGA/Teletypos what else do they own? Also, who owns Star Channel, are they independent like Skai TV?

But I think you can throw Star Int. into the mix just for those who like the Greek Gossip and stuff like that

Grk101,

You don't need Star to get gossip programming, its everywhere, just look at Alter, ANT1 and even MEGA. Maybe what you mean is that Star specializes in this type of programming so they are better than the others?! Personally I hate this crap and wish they would get rid of it off ALL channels or I would just settle for creating my own channel by picking and choosing programming from the different networks. Who knows, this may actually be doable in a few years with the new technologies they are coming out with :D

Anyway things are looking good for the US more greek channels then ever before smile.gif maybe it will become similar to us here in Aus now as we have had more Greek channels then you guys in the US for a long time now your turn to catch up now

I didn't know it was a competition to see who could get the most channels from Greece. :) Don't forget Kolossos, slow and steady wins the race- that and we are Greeks so we specialize in last minute jobs- so look out we will be on top soon! :D :LOL:

I didn't know it was a competition to see who could get the most channels from Greece. :) Don't forget Kolossos, slow and steady wins the race- that and we are Greeks so we specialize in last minute jobs- so look out we will be on top soon! :D :LOL:

LOL haha :) :gr: :tup:

Archived