Phantis Forums

Zagorakis farewell game

Ziaka

Theo Zagorakis's farewell game with the NT will be against Spain on either Agust 17 or 22, and most likely at Toumba. Additionaly, the no. 7 jersey will be officialy retired by EPO from the national team. See report below:

Good Ridence and enouhg already....

We get it.. Yeah he's one of the best that played on the NT .... But enough already. After another dissapointing result by todays match we need to focus on the future and gor from there...

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

lets just hope the game actually takes place in toumpa as planned and doesnt go to karaiskaki like every other ethniki game.

Mr Rehhagel made the decision for Karaiskaki as the preferred home ground.

His thinking is that larger grounds like OAKA or Toumba have running tracks and the spectators are further from the field.

Mr Rehhagel made the decision for Karaiskaki as the preferred home ground.

His thinking is that larger grounds like OAKA or Toumba have running tracks and the spectators are further from the field.

i know but the kleanthis vikelidis doesnt have a running track as well. it would be nice to give other towns a chance to host the ethniki. i think thessaloniki or crete could kill pireas in terms of atmsphere plus its not that we are invincible at karaiskaki...

@ethnikistis:

the ethniki on a regular game hardly fills the karaiskaki, the oaka would be very empty.

The reason this game will be played at Toumba (although they are considering Kaftanzoglio as well) is because Zagorakis is a die hard PAOKtzis. I think it is his wish for the game to be played at Toumba. Otherwise the game would have been played at Karaiskaki just like every other NT game.

• 2 months later...

I have a question for Ziaka, is it offical Greece will play Spain on August 22nd?

According to FIFA.com, Spain are scheduled to play Georgia on that very date, I was hoping Greece would face Italy. :not:

The current national side isn't fit to wipe the kopria from the boots of Uzbek players.

I hope we don't play anyone! Whats the point anyway? It's not like Otto will use the occasion to try out young players.

Stay away from the rabble that is the Ethniki, Zagoraki. Fade away gracefully.

I have a question for Ziaka, is it offical Greece will play Spain on August 22nd?

According to FIFA.com, Spain are scheduled to play Georgia on that very date, I was hoping Greece would face Italy.  :not:

The current national side isn't fit to wipe the kopria from the boots of Uzbek players.

I hope we don't play anyone! Whats the point anyway? It's not like Otto will use the occasion to try out young players.

Stay away from the rabble that is the Ethniki, Zagoraki. Fade away gracefully.

Zagorakis must stay close to the NT. He doesnt have to play on the pitch to serve a vital role on the team. Theo was the heart and soul of the team, just look at the Turkey game, when Basinas, Karagounis, and Katsouranis were arguing it was clear that there was a lack of leadership. Zagorakis would have never allowed that to happen.

Anyway, a friendly should be played and new players should get a chance to show their worth. Zagorakis should undoubtedly be honored by a packed stadium!!! :nw: :nw: :nw:

According to FIFA.com, Spain are scheduled to play Georgia on that very date, I was hoping Greece would face Italy.  :not:

What's up with that? Can anyone confirm we will be playing Spain? (Or if not, which country we will play?)

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/fixtures/index...ESP-ALL,00.html shows no sign of a game against Spain before at least november 2007, and 22/08 is indeed Spain - Georgia.

Check this as well: no friendlies scheduled for now:

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/fixtures/index...0-GRE-F,00.html

According to EPO the deal between EPO and the Spanish Federation has been completed. See press release above. Who knows why it is not on the FIFA site. Perhaps EPO or the Spaniards did not inform them yet.

According to EPO the deal between EPO and the Spanish Federation has been completed. See press release above. Who knows why it is not on the FIFA site. Perhaps EPO or the Spaniards did not inform them yet.

A good arse-raping for us on the cards then <_<

Personally, I think Greece should have played either:

Portugal: For obvious reasons. It would be a lovely remembrance of the highlight of his career and his nation's footballing history.

or

Cyprus: The celebrations in Cyprus after Euro 2004 were as breathtaking as anywhere else in the world. The Greek-Cypriots are so committed to Greece's Ethniki that their own national teams attendances are ridiculously low when Greece are playing because everyone stays home to watch Greece! After Euro 2004 Greece were scheduled to play Cyprus in a friendly and for some reason Otto called it off, much to the disappointment of Cypriot fans. I mean just imagine the wonderful, carnival atmosphere of everyone (players and fans) paying tribute to our great captain.

There is simply no sense in playing a testimonial against Spain.

You could say that our win in Spain during the EURO 2004 qualifying started our road to the EURO title.

Yes but you could also say that the N.Ireland win got us there... or even we should play the Faroe Islands because that was Zagorakis' first cap, or even Denmark (the team he got his first goal against) B) You could find meaning in any game but I still think a Cyprus game would have been a perfect farewell for the man. Both sets of fans & players hailing him a hero, etc. Nvm, I hope he gets a goal though! :gr:

ethnikistis, i agree with you here... spain isnt really a "special" opponent. if ti would have been brazil or germany i.e. a GREAT team i would understand but spain is a constant underachiever no one cares about. not even most spaniards to be honest :P

good thing is spain dont seem to take friendly games serious, so we could actually snatch a draw. then again they seem to hate us in sports and you never know. i just dont want zagorakis last game to end in a rout!

Archived