Phantis Forums

Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina (13 November 2016, Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

16 minutes ago, Argy said:

Greece won 12 years ago, not 40 like Nottingham. Some of those players retired just last year, and then they won qualifying groups handily and have consistently qualified for major tournaments and advancing past group stages. 

Why are you trying to argue this, it`s a losing battle. You are much better off trying to compare these teams in the now. 

I am comparing them in the now. Let's talk the last 3 years:

WC 2014 qualification: Bosnia 3-1 Greece, Greece 0-0 Bosnia

Euro 2016: Greece finishes bottom of the group along with other teams like Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino & co after being first seed. Bosnia finishes 3rd and loses out in a playoff to eventual Ro16 Ireland.

WC 2018 qualification: Greece needs a 95th minute goal in their own stadium from a foul throw to tie the game.

If we're a "backwater", what yet does that user think of himself?

Okay, Red Star Belgrade won the Champions League in 1991. Are they more pedigree than Manchester City?

Edited by kosaca

I am comparing them in the now. Let's talk the last 3 years:

WC 2014 qualification: Bosnia 3-1 Greece, Greece 0-0 Bosnia

Euro 2016: Greece finishes bottom of the group along with other teams like Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino & co after being first seed. Bosnia finishes 3rd and loses out in a playoff to eventual Ro16 Ireland.

WC 2018 qualification: Greece needs a 95th minute goal in their own stadium from a foul throw to tie the game.

If we're a "backwater", what yet does that user think of himself?

Okay, Red Star Belgrade won the Champions League in 1991. Are they more pedigree than Manc

You cannot compare Red star to Man City, because Man City have actually done some of significance in football since 1991. Bosnia has done nothing of significance since 2004, when we won a major tournament. What`s Bosnia`s most significant win? I can give you 10 Greece wins in the last 10 years that are bigger than that. 

Just 2 years a go we were a hair away from World Cup wuarter finals and Bosnia was at home watching the game on TV. I mean you are trying to compare Greece`s success this generation, with things that happened in the 70s.

And if you want to belittle our 95th minute goal, I can say you needed an own goal to draw with us. Come now, you burrying yourself in a hole. 

It will take years and massive leaps in the international stage for Bosnia to come close to Greece`s pedigree. A good place to start in this campagn. Let us talk in June. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 5

8 minutes ago, Argy said:

You cannot compare Red star to Man City, because Man City have actually done some of significance in football since 1991. Bosnia has done nothing of significance since 2004, when we won a major tournament. What`s Bosnia`s most significant win? I can give you 10 Greece wins in the last 10 years that are bigger than that. 

Just 2 years a go we were a hair away from World Cup wuarter finals and Bosnia was at home watching the game on TV. I mean you are trying to compare Greece`s success this generation, with things that happened in the 70s.

And if you want to belittle our 95th minute goal, I can say you needed an own goal to draw with us. Come now, you burrying yourself in a hole. 

It will take years and massive leaps in the international stage for Bosnia to come close to Greece`s pedigree. A good place to start in this campagn. Let us talk in June. 

What? LOL. 

In the last 3 years you have lost to:

Faroe Islands, Romania, Northern Ireland, Luxembourg, Belarus, Australia, Finland and others. But yes, you are an elite footballing nation, far better than we can ever hope to be. I'm jealous.

I've already said I think that our national teams are on the same level, yet people here talk about Bosnia as if it is Moldova NT.

Edited by kosaca

11 hours ago, tantra129 said:

I play soccer with many x yugos.  First off, they are all Eastern European or Slavic mentality. They are closer to Romanians and polish than us. They understand yes/no, 1 or 0. Black or white. There is no grey.  They don't understand emotion. (Kind of like Spock) yet they are hotheads,all this to say.  They are nice people. But it's hard to crack through. They don't think very highly of us, especially the Muslim kind. Don't kid yourselves guys. 

Romanians are by no means Slavic, Romanians has more in common with us than they have with Serbs in any way.

Greeks and Romanians has an interrelated history going back thousands of years.

• Like it 1

24 minutes ago, kosaca said:
8 minutes ago, kosaca said:

What? LOL. 

In the last 3 years you have lost to:

Faroe Islands, Romania, Northern Ireland, Luxembourg, Belarus, Australia, Finland and others. But yes, you are an elite footballing nation, far better than we can ever hope to be. I'm jealous.

We had a bad campaign, transition period, 3 different coaches and ball didn`t bounce for us. We have obviously come out of that funk. But, No, we did not play well. If you wanna highlight friendlies, we also just beat Netherlands 2 months ago. You cannot compare pedigree. You can feel good if Bosnia wins in June that`s it. 

Give me Bosnia`s biggest ever win, EVER, and I will give you 10 Greece wins that are greater without even touching Euro 2004. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 2

Just now, kosaca said:

I'm not arguing that Greece isn't a good team, but in terms of playing quality they are no better than Bosnia. To call us a backwater when we are a constant FIFA top 30 team is ridiculous.

I don`t know who called you backwater. It was not me. 

On 11/14/2016 at 9:59 AM, ELLAS75 said:

Greece own the head to head matchup with Bosnia. Also we crushed a far superior Croatian team in Athens in 2008 Euro qualifying and got a draw in Zagreb. A lot of Bosnians were talking a lot after last WCUP campaign but we went further in Brazil and were pk away from the quarters. Also remember we have WON a Euro!

It was EURO 2012 qualifying, not 2008 

• Like it 1

after educating myself more on the bosnian team I would say we're about equal. They have in offense what we have in defense.

Us not having Manolas is the equivalent to them not having Pjanic. So we were handicapped. They might argue they were missing another key player but so were we (Holebas).

I have many Bosnian friends so the fact that those Serbian fans brought those posters gloating genocide makes me feel so embarrassed.

Yes, as Greeks we were enslaved by Turkish muslims for 300 years or so but I'd rather not stoop to their level. Nor do I think we have the ability to stoop that low if we wanted to.

Bosnia is a super small country with a long memory cause nothing ever really happens there. So you can bet your booty that the environment in Zenica will be hostile as hell.

5 hours ago, Nikitas said:

for the people who didnt saw it , papadopoulos got red because he gave a bosnian a headbutt and a punch. look on the left side of this video from start to 12 seconds.

also look at it too he was instigated and the Bosnian player elbows him and before says something or should I say right after. he was baiting him... that sh^T; is classless and same goes for anyone. keep politics out and be classy.  just stfu and play the game!

Edited by gk2033
wording

Just now, Pana97 said:

Im sorry, but Bosnia cannot be compared to Greece. They are a solid side, but overall we have had some big wins and have gotten far in the world cup (very very close to quarters) and won the Euro in 2004. Bosnia came onto the scene the last few years, but football fans have known about Greece AT LEAST since 2004.... Bosnia no Djeko and no Pjanic nobody knows them simple as that. 

If it is just about names, Greece is even worst than Bosnia. Like three of your best players are centre backs, and not like centre backs are star of this game. But overal Greece is ahead of Bosnia, of course, but it isn't about individual quality of players.

And most important Bosnian player is Muhamed Bešić, he is our only midfielder who can tackle and run 180 minutes wihout rest, we missed him in this game but he is more important than Pjanić or Džeko

Edited by Dampyr

39 minutes ago, Dampyr said:

If it is just about names, Greece is even worst than Bosnia. Like three of your best players are centre backs, and not like centre backs are star of this game. But overal Greece is ahead of Bosnia, of course, but it isn't about individual quality of players.

And most important Bosnian player is Muhamed Bešić, he is our only midfielder who can tackle and run 180 minutes wihout rest, we missed him in this game but he is more important than Pjanić or Džeko

Yes, 3 of our best players are centre backs. But only because Sokratis and Manolas are world class and K Papadopoulos is elite. Your statement says more about the quality of our defenders than the level of the rest of the team.

Also thanks for the laugh, by comparing marginal Besic with top-level Manolas. The only way yesterday`s game would be even is if Pjanic was out. People have to understand, Manolas`absence not only hurt our backline, but also our defensive midfield since we lost K Papadopoulos from that position as he filled in as CB.

Edited by Argy

Argy, we beat you 3-1 in Zenica without Pjanic. Our team is more than Pjanic.

Kyriakos Papadopolous can't even start for RB Leipzig and you think he is elite... what? He has played **26** minutes this season for RB Leipzig.

Edited by kosaca

1 hour ago, kosaca said:

Argy, we beat you 3-1 in Zenica without Pjanic. Our team is more than Pjanic.

Kyriakos Papadopolous can't even start for RB Leipzig and you think he is elite... what? He has played **26** minutes this season for RB Leipzig.

the reason why papadopoulos isnt a starter for RB Leipzig is that when he arrived they were doing great in the bundesliga. why would a coach change such a team and defense. their coach said it himself that papadopoulos is unlucky for that. to bad he had so many injuries for so long.

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

after educating myself more on the bosnian team I would say we're about equal. They have in offense what we have in defense.

Us not having Manolas is the equivalent to them not having Pjanic. So we were handicapped. They might argue they were missing another key player but so were we (Holebas).

Dear god. Did you not watch the game? Our guys couldn't exchange a second pass. The game plan was find mitroglou.

When you have maniatis in the midfield with samaris and the opposition has pjanic, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Our defenders are not even that great. Manolas and sokratis are heavily overrated in these forums. But even if we had hummels and bonnuci, without proper midfielders that can retain the ball to relieve pressure, you are always going to struggle. 

The bosnian team is much , much better and they proved it. The result would've felt like a loss for them and rightly so.

• Like it 2

Just now, Original Sydney said:

Anel Hadžić, potential national team player(wasn't called for a long time) said for a media that he beg national team coach to call him just one more time -  for a revange against Greece. Just one of many "we can't wait for a rematch" statements from a Bosnian players.

Even a Vranješ who is a Bosnian Serb wrote on his offical facebook page: "It will be a hell in Zenica. See you!"

They are mad for various reasons, Srebrenica banner, couple of Bosnian fans were attacked and injured, some Greek fan hit Džeko with something in the head(there were blood) and overall behavior of Greek fans and players, and also nobody have a nice words for a referee...

Of course usual  social network pages mongers will try to use situation and connect that and remind of Greek state role in Bosnian war, Greek volunteers on Serb side in same war etc. 

I don't support that, first of all every of us is a special  individual and you can't blame entire Greek nation for something committed by 1, 10, or 100 Greeks. Hell, the guy who wrote a book "Unholy Alliance:Greece and Milosevic's Serbia" and actually openly revealed shameful role of the Greece in the Bosnian war is also a Greek. Should we hate him too???

Second, we are those who will win in just a usual football match, but in a game with too much emotions and incidents Greeks have advantage, they are like a wish in a water in situations like that.

There is so many stupid people in every nation, I'm a history student, actually expert for a "Greece in the time of king Otto" topic and I'm pretty sure that Greek history students are also nice people, but there are dumb asses in every nation, my too.

Edited by Dampyr

I don't agree with what 30 dumb ass Greek fans did at the game with the banner and Serb flag, they aren't football fans and they don't belong in the stadiums. These people who do s%$#! like this don't realise the dangers they put other fans when they want to travel and see their NT play. Now any Greek who goes to the game in June will be a target.

• Like it 2

7 hours ago, kosaca said:

There are a hundred factors that affect the outcome of a football match, none of them went your way in the last campaign. You were top seed and finished 6th place, losing to one of the worst teams in Europe twice. Furthermore, in the World Cup qualifiers you finished below us and we beat you 3-1 at home. You lost to Luxembourg in a friendly and you needed a 95th minute goal from a foul throw to score in last nights game. 

I mean no disrespect, but the poster on here who said that we are a "backwater and always will be" should perhaps look at himself first.

Achievementwise in the last 12 years we are way beyond. Screw the euro we won. 

Euro 12 Quarters, WC 14 R16. We ll get back to what we used to be , might it be soon , might it take 10 years, we will. You re basing your facts on a 2 year screwup of our NT? Friendly reminder u didnt go to the Euro 16 either, so either it be finishing 3rd or 6th the outcome is still the same. There is nothing to disrepsect, so u can't really mean any disrespect.

As for yesterday's match. 

Referee favoring us? Give me a break, he was happy to even the players without needed to red card Papadopoulos. Kolasinac did many fouls to the winger and nothing was given, suddently our 60kg winger makes a foul on him and you concede, and it's referee pushing the home team. Pathetic way of thinking.

You were the best side? Possessionwise, ye. In a total of attempts ye, but I can't remember any better chance to score than Pjanic at 76. The rest are no clear chances, despite you willing for them to be. 
You had Ibisevic header from a corner?(Not sure if it was ibi but u get the point). We had Sokratis header on target from a corner.

You had a woodwork->back of the keeper-> goal.We had a woodwork->keeper-> out. 

We had a Mitroglou tet-a-tet at 43. Dzeko shot on Karnezis some minutes before getting sent off. I really don't remember anything else worthmentioning as a clear advantage. So saying : we should have won 3-0 because we had 3 good chances is equal to saying : we should have lost 3-0 because you had 3 good chances. But I dont expect you to say anything similar because simply: This is your team and you support it.

And yeah, every time bosnia has the ball and is going forward its danjerous. Pjanic Lulic Dzeko Ibisevic are all world class players. But so is our defensive work. So are our defenders. Do you really base your fact that you dominated the game because an offensive team played offensively, while a defensive team played defensively ? LIKE WOW N!GGA ARE YOU SMART OR WHAT? Come get your cookie. 

Another one: While getting 8 yellow cards in 7 different players (friendly reminder football is played 11vs11) I quite honestly can't understand all the "you play anti-bitchy-football" bullshiet you ve mentioned. 

Draw was deserved, your team has the ability to score goals but your defence is disasterous. This is exactly the reason we have a chance of grabbing 2nd spot, because if god sleeps, we can stop belgium.

Go to sleep Gopnik.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 2