Phantis Forums

EURO 2004 draw

Ziaka

The draw for the EURO 2004 finals will take place on Sunday, November 30 in Portugal. Following the results of the play-off games, the following teams will take part in the draw. I believe the group seeding will be as follows, but don't quote me on that:

Group 1 (Top seeded teams)

Czech Republic

France

Portugal

Sweden

Group 2

England

Germany

Italy

Spain

Group 3

Croatia

Denmark

Holland

Russia

Group 4 (the group of weak teams)

Bulgaria

Greece

Latvia

Switzerland

So who do we want to be drawn with?

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS RANKING INFO?

I HOPE THE FIFA RANKING IS USED

WHICH RANKING WILL BE USED TO SEED THE TEAMS IN EURO 04?

FIFA OR UEFA?

I THINK PORTUGAL WILL BE SEEDED AS THE HOST

AND UEFA WILL USE THEIR OWN RANKING AND NOT THE FIFA THAT HAS GREECE

1 France

2 Argentina

3 Brazil

4 Spain

5 Netherlands

6 Czech Republic

7 England

8 Italy

9 Portugal

10 Germany

11 Denmark

12 Mexico

13 Turkey

14 Uruguay

15 Australia

16 United States

17 Ireland

18 Sweden

19 Croatia

20 Cameroon

21 Belgium

22 Greece

IF THE ABOVE IS USED WE END UP #12 IN THE EURO 04

THAT MEANS THE LAST OF THE POT 3 TEAMS

AHEAD OF BULGARIA, SWITZERLAND, RUSSIA AND LATVIA

HOWEVER ALL THIS IS PREDICATED ON THE ABOVE FIFA RANKING THAT EVEN IF INDEED IS USED COULD CHANGE AFTER THE ELLIMINATION PLAYOFFS

I HOPE THIS IS THE ONE THEY USE

DOES ANYONE HAVE CONCRETE INFORMATION ON THE SUBJECT?

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US

PEACE

Group 3

Croatia

Denmark

Germany

Russia

RUSSIA AHEAD OF GREECE WOULD BE VERY UNFAIR

RUSSIA IS NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 25 IN THE FIFA RANK AND THEY BARELY MADE IT AGAINST WALES TO QUALIFY IN THE PLAYOFFS

THEY ARE LOWER THAN GREECE IN UEFA AND FIFA RANKINGS

LOWER IN THE TEAMS TOTAL RANKING FOR CL AND UEFA CUP

GREECE HAS NOT LOST IN 2003 AND QUALIFIED GLORIOUSLY WINNING THEIR GROUP!!!

RUSSIA OVER GREECE WOULD BE A TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE... :box:

PEACE

as i understand it, the results throughout the qualifying campaign are used along with the performance of the last world cup.

so i think germany are seeded in the second group and netherlands in the 3rd.

so basically, we will be ranked 4th. but who cares. there is no difference.

nightmare group will be france, england, netherlands.

dream group would be russia, germany, sweden

as im going, one one hand i wanna see some big teams, but im sure i'd rather we get to see some wins!

Yes, Germany should be in group 2 and Holland in group 3. Mistake on my part. I have edited the list above.

nighsurfer, I don't believe there is a rule that would make us avoid Spain. I am sure the Spaniards would like to get drawn with us in order to get revenge, but I would like to stay away from them. Other teams I don't like in our group are Holland and France.

Sweden

England

Russia

Is Croatia worse than Russia?

Is Czech Republic weaker than Sweden?

Is England the weakest of pot 2?

I want the weakest teams that will give us the best chances for wins!!!

I still think it sucks that Russia is rated ahead of Greece because they were in the 2002 WC

PEACE

confirmed pots;

Full seedings:

Pot A - Portugal, France, Sweden and Czech Republic

Pot B - Spain, Italy, England and Germany

Pot C - Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark and Russia

Pot D - Bulgaria, Latvia, Greece and Switzerland

england rarely stuff up in the group stage of major tournaments. i'd much rather play germany! as Otto will know how to take em out!!

:tup:

to be honest there's no easy group for greece as all teams are much more experienced in major tournaments then us and are much tougher. but on other hand there is easier groups then harder.

maw21 i think england would be bet from its pot 2 as even though they will score vs greece we can best them by scoring more goals saw england vs denmark while not full team they cop goals very easy it's their style.

sweden would be prefered out of their pot1 france no way portugal while beatable tough at home czech republic also interesting but nedved on fire can beat anyone with smicer, poborsky its a good unit.

then there's denmark or croatia out of pot 3 but russia would be ok but holland while tough can be bad and when bad it's bad just like many of its players hot and cold. but group stage prob hot so avoid them.

whatever the group it should be a great tournament and as long as greece play its best soccer i'll be happy with that anythig more a bonus.

Here is proof that Greece SHOULD be in pot 3

We are rated ahead of Russia and Bulgaria, Croatia, Switzerland, Latvia:

"Immediately after UEFA announced its seedings yesterday, a British bookmaker, William Hill, offered his odds for the tournament.

France is the bookmaker’s top choice for the title with odds of 100/30,

followed by Italy on 11/2 odds.

Greece was given 50/1 odds,

Bulgaria, Croatia, Russia, and Switzerland trail with 66/1 odds.

Latvia, which stunned 2002 World Cup semifinalist Turkey in Wednesday’s playoff, is, according to the bookmaker, the tournament’s outsider, with odds of 200/1."

Thank you Mr Hill,

I trust the professionals :hypocrite:

PEACE

• 2 weeks later...

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Spain

3. Russia

4. Greece

Group B

1. France

2. Spain

3. Croatia

4. Switzerland

Group C

1. Sweden

2. Italy

3. Denmark

4. Bulgaria

Group D

1. Czech Republic

2. Germany

3. The Netherlands

4. Latvia

We Open the tournament vs. Portugal! :1eye:

Well Russia is OK... but we DEFINITELLY play AWAY when our other opponents are the Hosts and Neighbours Spain!

i think this is real bad now, the more i think about it... its just like playing 2 away games, and one at a neutral venue (when Greece play Russia) but all i can say is BRING IT ON!!! :box: :box: Greece are capeable of anything... but there gonna need a heck of a lot of luck out there. but we are very unlucky to Get spain and the portugese in the same group.. <_<

Hey guys stop thinking so negative. Otto's comment to the EURO 2004 draw grouping was that the first game with Portugal is an opportunity for Greece to show the world that we can play soccer. Remember that he he will use this to motivate Greece. Also, I would rather be playing Spain than a team like France.

Sure Spain knowa how we play but we also know how they play. We beat Spain 1-0 on their home pitch. I think we can play with pressure. For EURO 2004 pressure the Otto have us ready.

this is WONDERFUL!!!

stop whining and realize that euro2004 is a celebratin on soccer- and we didn't qualify to go play against latvia, switzerland, and south ossetia (pou leei o logos).

we play the HOST on opening day, and Spain- and the whole world will b ewatching us! US!!!!

this is our chance to prove that our team is not a fluke--

remember what churchill said: greeks don't fight like heroes- heroes fight like greeks!!!

:box:

from uefa.com:

Intriguing game

The meeting of two of Europe's strongest footballing nations has already caught the imagination and with Russia and Greece also in the mix, the group will attract much attention next summer. Many already expect the section to be decided by the meeting of the tournament hosts and the Spanish in Lisbon's José Alvalade XXI stadium on 20 June.

Archived